Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

OOO 10th: Fukkatsu no Core Medal discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

When did the OOO characters join the army?

Oh all the Greeed are back

Man it's been a while since I've seen normal Miura Ryosuke. Oh he became Ankh right away

Oh yeah, the sister had super strength. I feel like they introduced that characteristic and didn't mention it much in t he series itself

Hey, it's the mom from Zenkaiger

LOL, Akira guns akimble

LOL the tape on the TV

Not sure about Satonaka with bangs though

Huh. Eiji seems like himself, so why does he seem so shady and weird

What a cool abandoned mansion they found

Gotta love Hina's sad theme song. Everyone's always got to be holding hands while holding a popsicle

OOO absorbing all the Greeed is kinda cool, but also sad that we don't get to see more of the humanoid Greeeds

I wonder if the king's sword is from something. I doubt it was created just for this movie

Man, who do they have playing king OOO. That guy's huge

Just spam Latoratah's shine attack. It's super effective!

Hey. Add Ankh to the king OOO chest piece!

Oh yeah, just put Ankh and Eiji together. Why didn't anyone think of doing that before

What? Even Birth gets a new form?

Oh, I guess Eiji didn't wish hard enough for Ankh to come back to life before. Just took 10 years lol

New Tajador is looking good

What? Did they just kill off Eiji in the 10 years after epilogue? That's a choice...

Won't lie, that got me in the feels. But it feels like a weirdly tragic ending for a show that was otherwise pretty lighthearted and upbeat. I mean, what's going to happen now? Ankh just lives in Hina's brother's body? Just have Ankh possess Eiji like the other Greeed did, we saw that it worked

How did other people find this movie? I know there's not that much they can do storywise with just an hour. For the most part I was pretty on board, but I can't accept that they'd kill off Eiji
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: OOO 10th: Fukkatsu no Core Medal discussion thread

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I think Mouri took some pages off Kobayashi's writing on Ryuki and/or GoBusters to construct Eiji's fate in this movie.

The Ancient King's initial suit was bland. If it was made like Zeronos Zero, maybe I could've liked it.

Birth X's suit is alright. Hope the figuarts provide the animal-themed armaments.

Satoshi Hino was wonderful as Goda.

I did cry off two boxes of tissue paper once everything was over. I loved it. I'll live with it. I hope Yasuko Kobayashi likes this movie.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Mouri Nobuhiro also wrote the OOO novel.The Ancient King's motivation here is rather weak, Mouri didn't do good in the script.

Kobayashi Yasuko should have written the script for this conclusion, not Mouri.

Tasaki Ryuuta is the perfect director when it comes to serious attention of a story. He's got a good sense of storytelling that no other directors can capable of.

Satonaka doesn't do much in this movie, same with the Greeed in their full form.

Gotou utilizing Core Medals as Birth ain't working at all, just ended up gets beaten.

New design of the Tajador form is cool and beautiful homage to the final battle against Doctor Maki in his Kyouryuu Greeed form.

Killing off Eiji means killing Ankh in the Final Episode, that's the flipping between black and white.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Speaking of lazy writing, why does the girl that Eiji save appear with Satonaka? If she were in the camp with Hina and the rest, Hina wouldn't feel the need to ask Eiji about it

Guess Satonaka brought her to let Eiji know he can die actually saving a child for once
decade368990
Train man

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:07 pm Speaking of lazy writing, why does the girl that Eiji save appear with Satonaka? If she were in the camp with Hina and the rest, Hina wouldn't feel the need to ask Eiji about it

Guess Satonaka brought her to let Eiji know he can die actually saving a child for once
That’s very true. The thing is everyone else knows that Eiji is being controlled by the new set of Core Medals while only Hina and Chiyoko don’t aware of it.
decade368990
Train man

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 pm Wiki
I wonder if the king's sword is from something. I doubt it was created just for this movie
The king carries two swords. Which one do you refer?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The one that's got a skull on it. The other one is just OOO's sword from the show isn't it?
decade368990
Train man

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:20 am The one that's got a skull on it. The other one is just OOO's sword from the show isn't it?
The sword that’s got a skull, it was used by Oda Nobunaga on Movie Taisen Core after Doctor Maki installed 3 Core Medals into him to cause a rampage.

The other one was from the TV series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that
decade368990
Train man

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:03 am Ooh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/zukan/phantom/604
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/zukan/phantom/605

This is the sword that appeared on Movie Taisen Core.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

meh, overall typical epilogue plot. nice new shinies. but this time they finally kill eiji so now he doesn't have to do anything else.... or will he???
gordanbreaker3
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Quote: Hi

Post by gordanbreaker3 »

I just cried after seeing this, They grown up.
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

I'm still very conflicted about this movie. I'm afraid I am unable to put the words into text as to how I feel about the events depicted.

but for that mysterious sub group (if you're able to get in contact somehow) all I have to say about the subtitles is that, I wish they used new subtitle colours for all of Eternity's scenes. OOO's colours maybe?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I'd argue none of these 10 Years After movies are ever any good. Because the run time on them is always too short to produce anything satisfactory, you'd need several movies to really do the shows justice.

But yeah...that was bad.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I see why Takenoko was so slow getting this one posted. And why everyone is so conflicted about this movie. It ended up being a weird and unfulfilling experience.

On the plus side, I'm seriously impressed that Toei was able to get the whole cast back for this. Not only the stars, of course, but also all the supporting actors right on down to the Greeds. The latter of whom had all of about 3 lines each before they were unceremoniously snuffed. I reckon that most of them have not gone on to become big name actors, but still, that's a dozen people you need to get signed on for this project.

And they were able to integrate a lot of OOO's core themes. I'm not sure it would be accurate to say that this movie captured the atmosphere of OOO, but all of the individual elements were there, right down to Cake Boss doing something that nearly dooms the whole world once again!

But past that? It wasn't until the end of this movie that it actually did something new. For the most part, the first 45 minutes of the movie are a speed-run of OOO's major themes. Ankh being stand-offish, Eiji getting some medals stuffed in him, Hina pining after Eiji, Date looking cool, etc. Basically, up until they merge Ankh and Eiji (and then kill Eiji!) it's more of the same.

Which, this being a 10th anniversary special, is pretty much to be expected. As we've seen with the Sentai 10th anniversary reunion specials, they're mostly banking on nostalgia, and while Toei has a bad habit of overdoing it on their bigger projects, for these smaller scale movies it works well enough.

But all of this is juxtaposed against an atmosphere that is a significant departure from OOO. Whereas the series itself was fairly happy-go-lucky (with a banger of a theme song helping to set that up), this is essentially supposed to be a post-apocalyptic world where most of the humans have been wiped out. For everything that the movie does that isn't new, it certainly does something new with the tone; this is not the heroes going on one more awesome adventure. War is hell, and people die.

Above all else, the part that I find to be outright grating is that we essentially don't get Eiji, the star of the series, for almost the entire movie. We have Watanabe Shu playing Gouda, and even more of Watanabe Shu playing Gouda playing Eiji, but only a handful of moments where it's Watanabe Shu playing Eiji proper. Instead, this is arguably mostly and Ankh movie. And while he's for all practical purposes the co-lead of the series, OOO was built around the two of them together. Ankh without Eiji is just a cranky dude wearing guyliner and eating popsicles. It's not especially entertaining.

And then there's the whole matter of killing Eiji at the end. I'll give the writer credit here: that's certainly a large departure from the Sentai movies. It's something of substance, even if it comes at the very end of the movie. But a twist for the sake of a twist is not good writing. This is an open question to the class: what does killing Eiji add to this movie to make it better? What does it add to the OOO series to improve upon what the original series already accomplished? I would argue that it adds nothing. And therefore it is not good writing.

All of this leaves me cynical about the whole matter. As I see it, there are only two reasons to kill Eiji: 1) The twist for the sake of the twist to make this movie dark and edgy, or 2) Watanabe Shu only agreed to come back on the grounds that they would pull a Han Solo and kill him (thus setting up a Den-O situation where any future nostalgia pieces just ignore the fact that there's supposed to be a human host). #2 is the more understandable reason. But it still falls to bad writing that Eiji's death doesn't feel earned.

Writing aside, the action in this movie was good, but it's also not anything special. These 10 Year movies are shot on a smaller budget and are more about drama than spectacle - Toei is not trying to be bombastic to get butts into seats. The result is some good character moments, but little to talk about with regards to the action. As Takenoko noted, whoever was playing the King was a beast in size, which made for an interesting match-up between the two OOOs. Past that, most of the fights were over quickly - the Tajador fight was all of a minute, for example. The most impressive fight was probably the Uva fight, and in OOO tradition, the all-green combo probably ate up most of the action budget.:lol:

I'm also a bit surprised that we didn't get any of OOO's insert songs here. Not even Time Judged All, which you'd think would be a shoe-in for the Tajador fight. The result is that this is a rather quiet movie; it wasn't lacking in BGM, but other than Hina's theme, it was largely all incidental music.

Though I do appreciate the writers taking the time to work in some flashbacks/refreshers on the series. OOO had a dense (and somewhat confusing) set of arcs, especially towards the end. So the refresher on the King and how the series proper ended was genuinely helpful for me.

Finally, while this is a YMMV situation, the plot of this movie seemed to suffer for the sake of merchandise. Whereas all the other movies felt like Toei told the writers "Here's a budget, go have fun", this OOOs movie has merchandise up the hilt. Despite the sub-hour run time, we have 3.5 new Rider Forms (King, Super King, Birth X, and Tajador Retool). And if you've watched the CSM ad that was bundled with this movie, then you know that Toei is releasing a new $450 CSM driver set! Even the BD/DVD comes with toys, if I'm understanding all of that correctly. As a result, it leaves me under the impression that the story was compromised to make room for toys, which would certainly explain aspects of the lackluster plot.

Ultimately, this is the first 10 Year movie that leaves me unsatisfied. It's not a bad movie (we've had much, much worse out of Toei), but as great as it is to see the whole cast together again, it doesn't feel particularly rewarding or entertaining in the end. I don't hate it, I just feel ambivalent about it. (I could ramble on here with some further comparisons to Kamen Rider Yongou, which had a similar tonal shift, but at the end of the day this movie did not handle the shift nearly as well)

PS Why don't Gouda's core medals have a matching color scheme? He's a Greeed, he should have a distinct color.

PPS Everyone is looking good after 10 years. Especially Hina ♥
takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:57 pm When did the OOO characters join the army?
Army? That is clearly the Navy! :P
Oh yeah, the sister had super strength. I feel like they introduced that characteristic and didn't mention it much in t he series itself
It was used very sparingly, and mostly for comedic effect.
Gotta love Hina's sad theme song.
I always hated that song due to how often it was used. But I have to admit, it wouldn't be OOO without it.
decade368990 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:09 am Kobayashi Yasuko should have written the script for this conclusion, not Mouri.
I don't normally weigh in on writer matters, but in this case I agree. This movie wasn't written by its lead writer, and it shows. I'm not sure if Kobayashi could have done any better given the time and toy constraints. But I'm reasonably confident that she couldn't have done worse.
Last edited by ViRGE on Sun May 22, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”