DonBrothers 10 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun May 22, 2022 7:39 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
73%
☆☆☆☆
7%
☆☆☆
13%
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 10 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.08 of 5 stars (13 votes)

They put the robo in the opening already? It's not even in the show yet! DX

Sometimes I wonder if they have Haruka do so many thought narrations because her delivery would be flat otherwise. Although she does act in person here, so maybe this is just a crackpot theory

Heh, her boyfriend and his mama issues. Oh, and his phone is a table tennis case

Wait, what is this world and why is Kaito able to change reality so easily like this. Is there going to be a VR twist later in this series?

Wait, how did she get a robotarou gear?

Poor blue, that Robotarou costume looks awkward to wear

Good story, but the robotarou power-up felt rushed. Like it wasn't given the time to be as momentous as it could have been
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: DonBrothers 10 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

I'm kinda ticked everyone else got the robo power up at the same time. I get that they're rushing for the giant robot but still, kinda downplayed Haruka's breakthrough
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:41 pm I'm kinda ticked everyone else got the robo power up at the same time. I get that they're rushing for the giant robot but still, kinda downplayed Haruka's breakthrough
I mean is it even a power-up? It's not like they received a new gear or anything. It looks like they had it the whole time and just now decided to use it??? Or did they get it off screen after Tarou's got his last week? ???

Edit: I think it's pretty funny that Kiji Brother Robotarou is a rad bird with cool glasses. But Inu Brother Robotarou is kind of disappointing? Or rather, they're both kind of disappointing in that they're cartoon characters still

Also surprising, Marina is played by Katada Hiyori, who I thought was much older than Haruka's actress. In fact, Katada is only 17 years old too

It's pretty funny that Ippei-sensei is reading Lost Love Hero. He even slightly chuckles the way Haruka did reading True First Love Hero

Pinkbuta means pink pig

Edit edit:
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

A non-filler episode where they advance the real plot line: Haruka's manga career.

It appears that the Noto are not going to be the bad guys since they are so upset over the possibility that the Beastials could destroy the human world and the Noto world. Maybe this will lead to Sononi and Sonoza joining Haruka's high school as students and have Sononi steal plagiarist's boy friend (and Haruka will not mind since it gives her more material for her manga)?

It would be cool if maybe 15 episodes from now Haruka becomes sick and cannot participate so she gets Marina to pitch hit for her?

I would like to see Tsuyoshi take Sonoza to see a Manzai comedy show and have Sonoza walk out more confused about laughing than before. Or, Mizuki take Sononi to a host club and Sononi not get any of the hosts come on lines.

Since Sonoza does not have a love interest yet, maybe (if they go with the high school plot line) they could also steal from "the boys love world and the boy who stands against boys love" and have all the classes that Sonoza is in but Haruka is not in be populated by yaoi couples?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

it was a dead give away what season the motw was based on, and oddly i was somewhat disappointed it was gokaiger, but what other season has pirates? (lol not you Tsukaiser!)
although if it was bokenger because they basically hunted for treasure ....

anyways, the kibi points are really broken. they rewrite history if you'd like, but hey we all saw her going back to being Onisister. i think IRL, anybody else would have been happy the team got a good replacement for them. i would have been. if she really wanted to satay friends, she could have just gone by Donbura and hoped to meet them again, since they all seem to go there at some point.
her robo forms club spike launcher was cool...

so the new team finisher is pretty much the 2 cartoons just run around while the non-cartoons do all the work?

i almost would wonder if Haruka took anything away from what her replacement did or if next week itll be as if nothing happened. but hey at least the team go their roboforms this week, which i agree, takes away from Haruka.
when she gets more points i wonder how she'll use them, or if the points will eventually just fall to the way side and be in the forgotten subplot void like usual.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

midorininger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:50 pm i almost would wonder if Haruka took anything away from what her replacement did or if next week itll be as if nothing happened. but hey at least the team go their roboforms this week, which i agree, takes away from Haruka.
when she gets more points i wonder how she'll use them, or if the points will eventually just fall to the way side and be in the forgotten subplot void like usual.
It'd be funny if Haruka just suddenly started cleaning Shinichi's place and started acting nice to Tarou and they're like "What's gotten into you?"
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by Millsy »

This was such a great episode - Haruka being our protagonist adds so much to this show

Her Robotaro form especially is badass - I suppose that once Momoi got his gear that just meant everyone else got theirs? It's easy to tell Inoue doesn't like to write about the toys - which is fair enough, just get straight to the story and characters, I can respect it.

Don miss it!
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Another excellent episode. Haruka's best focus episode yet, without a doubt.

Why is Haruka's loser boyfriend back? Hasn't she learnt her lesson already? Clearly, he's only dating her for her popularity. And not to mention his mommy.. er, mother issues. And I'm fairly certain that Haruka doesn't like him either. Out of all the things she has lost after becoming a ranger, her boyfriend was the least important one.

Why do these Kibi points only increase by helping Tarou? And where did these points come in the first place....
Zenkaizer black clearly has more to do with Tarou than he shows. What connection is that? And this connection has something to do with how Zenkaizer black is the one collecting the Avatarou gears, but they still end up in the Rangers' buckles. And Tarou had the Zenkaiger Avatarou gear already in episode 1, how was that?

So many questions. I just hope they're answered sooner or later and not left hanging.

Zenkaizer black asking Haruka what she wants is clearly a trick question.... It's got some depth to it. He was smiling when he asked her to choose, but then he has a shocked expression, like he didn't expect such a reaction from Haruka.... Very suspicious....

Congrats, girl. Your effort paid off.... I guess.

Heh, the Kaizokuki's identity was very obvious.... I don't like the pink part of the Kaizokuki's face. I wish they made it some other darker color like blue or navy....

Aww... She misses her (barely)friends.... I am not as surprised because even if they don't treat her very well, they're way better than her boyfriend.... 😑😶😒😞🤷‍♀️ And the fact that she is not even paying attention to him, proves that she doesn't like him after all.

I get everyone can have pen names and all that, but Pink-Pig? Really....? 😑😶😒🤨

Kitou Haruka- running away from one (apparent) dangerous encounter and jumping into another dangerous encounter.... 😅😆😝

Of course they had to show a full transformation sequence for the new yellow.

Following up on Sakura, can I just say that I already like Marina just because of the fact that she wears (long)pants? At least one of the yellows do. There, I said it.
*No comments please*

Lol, KijiBrother arriving to the fight while still on the phone is funny.

Wow, she actually missies kneeling and bowing in front of Tarou? 🤨🧐😒

Since when do the Rangers' call each other by their ranger designations? Ever since Marina became yellow? And since when does Tarou care about his 'companions'? This is super weird!

It's a coincidence that when I'm watching this episode, it's raining in my area. And it also rained on the day when this episode aired. Did it rain that day in Japan too on the day this episode aired?

Why does Haruka miss being a waitress, now? I thought she didn't like that job?

Why is Zenkaizer black pretending like he doesn't remember Haruka? So in this new 'situation', no one from her time as Donbrothers remembers her, but she still remembers them?

Ok, I'm starting to understand why Haruka feels bad. Shin'ichi summed it up pretty well in that one line.

Poor Haruka, the vase broke even though she tried hard to save it.

Marina sure devoted herself to Tarou, huh?

I guess Haruka can't cook cause her aunt cooks for her?

Tarou sure won't remember Haruka if she keeps staring at him intensely.

Aww... Poor girl. Can't even hold a teapot properly... Is she that much of a spoiled girl?

What kind of crazy world has it become? Marina knows the identities of Tsuyoshi and Tsubasa? No way..... 🤯😮🤔🧐😱 But since Marina was ok with introducing everyone to someone who is completely unrelated to their team, it means that the team members are not trying to hide their identities on purpose. The others are just unaware....

Is whatever the cop picking out of the ramen bowls some sort of meat/protein? That would make sense if it's related to the Jyuto, who are some sort of beasts. And it looks like to me that the Jyuto has possessed the cop. Because his eyes are the same as the eyes of the Jyuto's spirit we saw in the previous episode.

Oooh... Hot ramen... That must've burnt the shop owner's face.... 😥😰

What's with all the origami and humming? 🤔🤔🧐🧐

Ok, Marina is amazing! She thinks that being a Donbrothers is a bigger thing to do than being a photographer.... 🥲😊

2 transformation sequences of Marina. They sure are rubbing it in, huh....

Now that was a brave move. Haruka has grown up into a proper ranger.

The writing on Haruka's shirt.... Lol. 😆😝

Nice confrontation scene with Zenkaizer black. You go girl!

Since Zenkaizer black can give her back her role as OniSister, does that mean he was the one who chose her to be OniSister in the first place?

I have to admit, I like OniSister's club, spikes and misses more than expected...

Zenkaizer black's smile at the end of the episode really just makes it even more mysterious...

Looks like Haruka has learnt that even though she has lost some things, she also has gained some new things that she doesn't want to lose. 😄🙂😁
takenoko wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:39 pm Sometimes I wonder if they have Haruka do so many thought narrations because her delivery would be flat otherwise. Although she does act in person here, so maybe this is just a crackpot theory
I think she has so many thought narrations is because she is the main point of view for the audience. That gives her more focus than usual so I really like it.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:39 pm
Wait, what is this world and why is Kaito able to change reality so easily like this. Is there going to be a VR twist later in this series?
Well, it could point towards the possibility even more that maybe Zenkaizer black is actually the Kamisama from Zenkaiger....
takenoko wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:39 pm
This design reminds of Gorisaki, especially the arms.... 😆😄
Lunagel wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:41 pm I'm kinda ticked everyone else got the robo power up at the same time. I get that they're rushing for the giant robot but still, kinda downplayed Haruka's breakthrough
True. It was supposed to be Haruka's episode, so she should be getting the most focus. It probably would have been better if they got the power-up/mechs in the next episode.
midorininger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:50 pm although if it was bokenger because they basically hunted for treasure ....
Ah, it would be cool if they showed a Hitotsuki based on Boukenger sooner. I'm really looking forward to how it's gonna turn out
midorininger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:50 pm
so the new team finisher is pretty much the 2 cartoons just run around while the non-cartoons do all the work?
Huh, now that you mention it, they don't actually do anything much. Although, with how they showed it, it seemed like they were attacking the Hitotsuki physically unlike the others who were attacking with their weapons... 🤷‍♀️😶😐
midorininger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:50 pm
i almost would wonder if Haruka took anything away from what her replacement did or if next week itll be as if nothing happened.
That would be very weird. This episode is not a filler and had some important character development for Haruka. So it would be weird to not have at least some callbacks to this episode.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I get everyone can have pen names and all that, but Pink-Pig? Really....? 😑😶😒🤨

I kept wondering if pink pig was a cameo or reference to someone, but her actress is uncredited

>Since when do the Rangers' call each other by their ranger designations? Ever since Marina became yellow? And since when does Tarou care about his 'companions'? This is super weird!

Yeah that stuck out to me too. Wondering if that's going to be a regular thing or is it just to show we're in a parallel universe

>Why does Haruka miss being a waitress, now? I thought she didn't like that job?

I don't know if Haruka is missing doing the things you're noting her missing. It seems more like she's noticing that Marina has taken her spot more than anything. I doubt next week that she'll be like "Oh Tarou-sama" and start cleaning Shinichi's place

>I guess Haruka can't cook cause her aunt cooks for her?

I wonder when we'll see her aunt again

>Is whatever the cop picking out of the ramen bowls some sort of meat/protein?

It looked like a slice of meat
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:48 pm
>Is whatever the cop picking out of the ramen bowls some sort of meat/protein?

It looked like a slice of meat
It's chashu. https://www.justonecookbook.com/homemade-chashu/
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I'm surprised that Haruka had enough kibi points to grant her wish. The way they are awarded feels very arbitrary. Is there a cultural significance behind Haruka's wish costing 81 kibi points? After doing a search, it seems that the country code for making phone calls to Japan is 81.

This episode introduces the possibility that there were other DonBrothers before the current ones. If a previous Oni Sister had her wish granted, then Haruka would be the replacement.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That was a really good character episode. Not only did it stay focused on a single character (Haruka) rather than getting split between two or three of them, but it made sure to show us something important about the character: not only is she willing to endure the burden of being a Bro, but she's willing to give up (or at least put on hold) her dream of being an artist, something her replacement could not.

This is also easily the least weird episode of the series thus far. Kibi points aside, it's a very tight-knit and straightforward plot. "X stops being a hero and gets to see what their replacement is like" could have easily been a plot for any of a dozen other Sentai series (and yet it doesn't at all feel generic here).

And I appreciated the touch of giving Haruka's replacement a full transformation sequence. Most series would not do that (at least not seriously) for a one-off character. So it really helps to sell the idea that she was Haruka's replacement.

Though this episode does add to my confusion about how perceptible the Bros are. Haruka can clearly see them. But we still don't have any evidence that other civvies can see them. So can Haruka see them because she's an ex-Bro? Or is it that civvies can in fact see them?

Meanwhile, just to keep score, this is now the third episode in a row without a robo fight. Granted, the show has only had 4 in 10 episodes to begin with. But this really underscores how cut back the robo fights are this season; they are not a critical part of the show.

Finally, the audio mix in this episode ended up being unusually disappointing. This episode introduced a new insert song, and yet very atypically for Sentai, you couldn't hear it. They layered on the battle sound effects at full volume, making it very hard to follow the insert song. Normally SS is mixed to prioritize the background music whenever a new insert song is introduced, especially when it's a rocking tune like this one.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:39 pm They put the robo in the opening already? It's not even in the show yet! DX
These days it really feels like Sentai doesn't give a hoot about spoilers. Between the robo in the opening and putting clips of the episode itself into every opening, you're basically seeing the future when you watch the opening - whether you want to or not.
That would certainly be a twist. And not out of the realm of possibility for Inoue. Though I think it's still more likely that Kaito is just a god or such, following how Zenkaiger ended.
It's consistent, at least. the regular SaruBrother costume looks just as awkward to wear. In both cases the suit actor has to maintain these weird, non-human poses.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:56 pm
I mean is it even a power-up? It's not like they received a new gear or anything. It looks like they had it the whole time and just now decided to use it??? Or did they get it off screen after Tarou's got his last week? ???
From a viewer POV, it's definitely a power-up. In fact it's a full team power-up just 10 episodes in! I don't think any previous Sentai series has rolled out a team upgrade anywhere near this early before. I guess they have to make up for the lack of mecha toy sales?

But the plot/writing definitely isn't making it a big deal. I've seen series where the writers fully play into hyping up the new toy, and a couple of series where they clearly are begrudgingly including it. But I cannot think of any time a power-up has been so thoroughly downplayed, to the point that its newness isn't even acknowledged. Like so many other aspects of this series, it is, if nothing else, a very intriguing departure from Sentai norms; it's practically deus ex machina.

(And I imagine it'll remain that way. After two episodes, I don't get the impression that we're going to get any further explanation.)
Also surprising, Marina is played by Katada Hiyori, who I thought was much older than Haruka's actress. In fact, Katada is only 17 years old too
Huh. If you had told me she was in her early 20s, I would have accepted it without blinking. Apparently I'm terrible at telling the ages of Japanese actors. :lol:
Arigomi wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 pm This episode introduces the possibility that there were other DonBrothers before the current ones. If a previous Oni Sister had her wish granted, then Haruka would be the replacement.
Oh wow! Now there's an interesting thought to consider!

So far there's no evidence against that idea. Since the series essentially started in media res - and the flashbacks focus on specific characters - we don't really know anything about the state of the world or the team before the first episode. While I admittedly doubt the writers have planned for previous Bros, the door is certainly left open for the idea if they wanted to pursue it.

Why did Momoi start fighting? When did he start fighting with companions?
Last edited by ViRGE on Wed May 11, 2022 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

81 might be a cool number mathematically. Not sure if it's anything in Japanese/buddhist/shintoism? Luna?

I again wonder where this episode fits in the continuity. At best, only Haruka will remember it. At worst, Inoue won't ever acknowledge this episode ever happened again

>Though this episode does add to my confusion about how perceptible the Bros are, though.

I feel like this episode doesn't count, to be honest. I doubt we'll see them calling each other by their donbro name nor do I see them running up to civilians like normal sentai

>Meanwhile, just to keep score, this is now the third episode in a row without a robo fight.

But we had a robotarou just last time and this time!

>This episode introduced a new insert song, and yet very atypically for Sentai, you couldn't hear it.

There's a new song?

>Huh. If you had told me she was in her early 20s, I would have accepted it without blinking. Apparently I'm terrible at telling the ages of Japanese actors. :lol:

I feel like they coded her as more mature than Haruka

>Oh wow! Now there's an interesting thought to consider!

The multiverse... it's real!

>Why did Momoi start fighting? When did he start fighting with companions?

Who is Tarou? Where did he come from? Intrepid journalists want to know!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Finally gotten around to watching this. I like how they actually made a proper henshin sequence for Marina.

I think this episode was really going for an "It's a Wonderful Life" vibe. So I don't think anyone is gonna acknowledge this because only Haruka and Kaito even know about it. I did wonder if maybe this isn't the first time this has happened. Like, maybe there's another previous Oni Sister running around who was perfectly happy with letting Haruka take on her misery. Or maybe a previous Saru Brother, I dunno.

Surprised they gave us Kaizokuki now. I was expecting them to save Gokaiger and have it be special like Decade in Zi-O.

It definitely seems like the Nouto aren't the villains, the Juuto are. The Nouto still probably aren't GOOD, but they're more neutral, and I can see them teaming up with them at some point.

I kind of wish they'd added Marina to the opening. She doesn't even get credited as Oni Sister, she's just shoved in with the other guest stars. Apparently she actually originally auditioned to be Haruka: https://www.toei.co.jp/tv/donbrothers/s ... _3246.html
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:08 am 81 might be a cool number mathematically. Not sure if it's anything in Japanese/buddhist/shintoism? Luna?
I got nothing. It might be significant to some particular shrine or other but it doesn't hold any overall meaning.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”