DonBrothers 11 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun May 29, 2022 7:27 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
57%
☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 11 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.47 of 5 stars (15 votes)
Glad people are still liking this series. Thanks for joining in the discussion and voting on the polls!

At least Jin is useless for both Nouto and DonBrothers equally

LOL, wow the look on Sayama's face when he's with the two cops out waiting for Tsubasa. Who knew we'd get so much from this guest actor

Sayama is powered by meat

How much taller is Momoi than pink?

Episode 11, pink formally meets yellow

Even in episode 11 yellow still gets kicked

Poor Tsuyoshi, so forgettable

It's a simple premise, but with the hidden identities, balancing the real life stuff and battle works surprisingly well

Poor Tarou, he's knocked down a lot this time. Guess even Tarou is mortal

What? Miho doesn't recognize him and she knew to take out the origami? What is going on here? So even among the Jyuto there's another conflicting faction???

Feels like not much happened, but actually I think a lot did? I liked the jumping back and forth between the battle and taking care of sick Tsubasa. We finally know what will happen if Miho and Tsubasa meet, and got an even weirder question about what's going on from it. Blue and yellow finally know who pink is, but haven't figured out who Tsubasa is, oddly enough. (And I guess Tsuyoshi knows who yellow and blue are now too, even though it'd be more funny if he didn't)

So is everyone in the bus dead except for Sayama or are they all possessed with the same type of Jyuto? Hopefully Inoue has a good answer for these questions and they're not a lame JJ Abrams mystery box
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBrothers 11 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

Pretty sure Tsuyoshi did work out who Blue and Yellow are. Even if he didn't, they're obviously gonna tell him. And presumably tell Tarou too, meaning it's just Tsubasa who's left out. Looking forward to when we finally get our full team henshin, and probably that's when we'll finally get the role call.

Definitely interested in what's happening with Mrs Kijino. The Juuto definitely seem more like villains than the Nouto, but that could just be more misdirection. I think it's likely that she's possessed and genuinely didn't recognise him, but whatever Juuto is possessing her took over at that point. Part of me kind of hopes we end up with a scene of Tsuyoshi having to kill his wife for the good of the world. It'd be some good viewing.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:58 am Part of me kind of hopes we end up with a scene of Tsuyoshi having to kill his wife for the good of the world. It'd be some good viewing.
Given Inoue/toku tropes in general, that's probably not far off. But more realistically the wife will probably sacrifice herself, then Tsuyoshi and Tsubasa will bond after a period of conflict because of the woman. Japan being Japan
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:03 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:58 am Part of me kind of hopes we end up with a scene of Tsuyoshi having to kill his wife for the good of the world. It'd be some good viewing.
Given Inoue/toku tropes in general, that's probably not far off. But more realistically the wife will probably sacrifice herself, then Tsuyoshi and Tsubasa will bond after a period of conflict because of the woman. Japan being Japan
Probably. And I can't see Toei allowing Inoue to have Tsuyoshi kill her.

I've just had a thought actually. Were the others not told to pledge allegiance to Momoi Tarou like Haruka was? Cause obviously Tsuyoshi knows his name and has never tried to pledge to him.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

You know Natsumi isn't human because she didn't get mad at Tsubasa for being so irresponsible with money.

The origami cat face reminds of how Inu Brother look more like a cat than a dog to me. An origami dog face looks similar, but it has floppy ears that are turned down.

The crying baby noises at the end were creepy.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:48 am I've just had a thought actually. Were the others not told to pledge allegiance to Momoi Tarou like Haruka was? Cause obviously Tsuyoshi knows his name and has never tried to pledge to him.
Not sure if we've seen Tsuyoshi meet Jin yet, have we?

>You know Natsumi isn't human because she didn't get mad at Tsubasa for being so irresponsible with money.

I was wondering if Tsubasa was a rich guy before he became a fugitive. That might explain why he can't wash dishes and doesn't really know how to do anything
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:17 pm I was wondering if Tsubasa was a rich guy before he became a fugitive. That might explain why he can't wash dishes and doesn't really know how to do anything
Gonna have to disagree with you there, the "buying something but putting it on your card in 36 installments" is a semi-uncommon but still well-known trope in JP tv. Since there's no minimum payment on JP credit cards (you pay the whole amount every month) you can break it up into monthly installments either through the store or your credit card company. It's implying that you're too poor to pay it off even within a few months so you have to take 3 years to pay it all back (plus interest)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:38 pm
takenoko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:17 pm I was wondering if Tsubasa was a rich guy before he became a fugitive. That might explain why he can't wash dishes and doesn't really know how to do anything
Gonna have to disagree with you there, the "buying something but putting it on your card in 36 installments" is a semi-uncommon but still well-known trope in JP tv. Since there's no minimum payment on JP credit cards (you pay the whole amount every month) you can break it up into monthly installments either through the store or your credit card company. It's implying that you're too poor to pay it off even within a few months so you have to take 3 years to pay it all back (plus interest)
So rich, he can even afford all that interest!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Okay, now this show does seem like a sequel, just not a sequel to Zenkaigers. This seems to be a sequel to a (non-existent) series "super sentai - Kami no Kiba" where a Noto knight turns to the dark side and absorbs the impure ambition of the humans after they turn into monsters and letting the humans live (instead of sending them to the shadow realm). This causes him to become a super villain. He is eventually struck down by heroic Noto Knights who also kill a Noto priest who turned evil and was helping the bad Noto Knight. The evil priest and the evil knight became reincarnated as Miho and Momoi Taro. At the end of the the current series either the Noto and the other DonBrothers will defeat Momoi Taro or Momoi Taro and Miho will turn the world into their own hell world. All the while, Barista Snake carefully notes the results of his experiment in world building.

This was a really good episode. We see Taro's evil plans progress as he uses his mastery of psychology to cause yet another normal person to be consumed by impure ambition and become a monster. (Although at this point I am not sure if Taro knows that he is the reincarnation of the evil Noto Knight or could be causing the transformations because he is a jackass Gary Stu.) We also see Miho's true colors, even though her control over her host doesn't seem to be 100% stable either. The lesser brothers have some really funny character stuff which spilled over into the fight in a humorous way.
Last edited by resop2 on Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:17 pm
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:48 am I've just had a thought actually. Were the others not told to pledge allegiance to Momoi Tarou like Haruka was? Cause obviously Tsuyoshi knows his name and has never tried to pledge to him.
Not sure if we've seen Tsuyoshi meet Jin yet, have we?
We've not, no. But it's just weird that Jin told Haruka to pledge allegiance to Tarou but not any of the others?
Seen:
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Now four of the five Donbrothers know each other's identities (assuming Tsuyoshi was able to figure it out). Now Tsubasa is the only one left in the dark.
Get it, 'cause he's the black ranger :lol:

Here I was thinking that Miho/Natsumi was going to be a supporting character mainly. I guess she's way more than that.

I found it a bit weird that the ending theme started playing in the middle of the fight, but, then again, this show is pretty weird. That's good, though.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

After last week's great episode, personally I found this one a bit of a let-down. With the exception of the very start and end, this episode is basically a self-contained plot. Which is fine, I suppose, but after how last week ended, I had been expecting/hoping for a more focused episode that advanced the series' major plot threads.

Instead, we get a comedy episode, which as a westerner, I always find hit and miss. In this case, it's more of a miss. The shenanigans of dealing with a sick Tsubasa just weren't all that funny. And constantly breaking up the flow of the one major fight made it harder to follow, which is something of a disservice to what was otherwise a fairly well choreographed fight.

It's by no means a terrible episode. But I'd consider it the weakest thus far.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:27 pm At least Jin is useless for both Nouto and DonBrothers equally
I'm glad there are at least some constants in the universe. :lol: Though this implies that whoever imprisoned him wasn't the Nouto? Which raises the question of who did it.
takenoko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:03 am
I sincerely hope not. Fridging the wife is a terrible trope. And given all the issues that Tsuyoshi and Miho have to put up with, they both deserve to be happy, dammit!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:11 am I sincerely hope not. Fridging the wife is a terrible trope. And given all the issues that Tsuyoshi and Miho have to put up with, they both deserve to be happy, dammit!
/me looks at Inoue
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm a bit late to this, but it's recently occurred to me that Momoi Taro is the direct cause of a surprisingly large number of the MOTWs.

Episodes: 2, 3, 4, 5*, 11

Which works us to just under half of the series thus far.

His perfect nature really seems to set people off.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'ts been a while so I forgot to look out for that, but you're right. Momoi sure is a pain in the butt

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”