DonBrothers 15 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:12 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
42%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 15 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.36 of 5 stars (11 votes)

Okay, minus points are bad. But is this the explanation for why sometimes wishes turn bad or do all wishes have their downsides? I'm okay with them retconning this explanation in, but in magical systems, it's nice to know what the rules are

Good moment with Kijino and Tsubasa talking about their ladies. Dramatic irony is an important tool.

Okay I laughed when Kijino couldn't recognize Miho through the photo filter

I would love it if Saruhara doesn't do any more haiku

Is this the first time we've seen black transform?

Oh, it's that weird lottery thing that we saw in ep 1. But I thought the glasses existed to protect against it?

Liking Dragoku's Chinese style

LOL at Jirou holding the toy version

Oh, so the people that the Nouto "kill" aren't actually dead. Interested to see how this changes the DonBros' mission

Would have been interesting if Kijino became a giant. I guess they could have used one of their other mechas, but still

My one nitpick with this episode is Haruka saying she'd be okay giving her life for Tarous. While she's a good guy, she's also balanced with her flaws and desires. I don't really think the series has established that she cares so much for Tarou that she'd give her life for his
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Re: DonBrothers 15 discussion thread

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Good episode but my complains and nitpicks will result in a 4/5.

I was surprised to see that Tsubasa still carries his phone around. I thought the police could vtrack him using his phone. And dang! The filter joke was the funniest joke in this episode! I personally disliked using filters till now, but this episode makes me feel relieved that I don't use filters. (No offense intended to the people who use filters)

Aah, I like Shin'ichi now. Before, I didn't care about him. But in this episode his dialogues were hilarious(I cracked up when he said "my inner voice tells me you're a fraud" ) and I genuinely felt pity for when he couldn't say haikus anymore. Btw, what's that thing he wears around his neck called? In Japanese, they called it "Neji Neji". I couldn't find what that meant...

I was disappointed that they didn't show us high-schooler Jirou even though they showed us high-schooler Tarou. And I thought the Donbrothers gear and sunglasses only appeared in front of them through phones, but that wasn't the case for Jirou. Then why did they try to set up that whole thing in the first place? Shin'ichi doesn't have a phone. Then why do they need a random phone lying on the street to give him powers? Just give him powers the same way they did for Jirou. That makes more sense, right?

Does Jin not know about this dimension for the people defeated by the Nouto? I thought he was the informant guy for them all. Then why does Sonoi know about this dimension but Jin doesn't...? And they can simply go to that dimension by standing close to the person being defeated by the Nouto? Then how come we didn't see this sooner?

Also, I'm glad that Zenkaizer black has more lines now. He has actual conversations with the Donbrothers now, whereas before he only glanced at them or barely said anything to them. And the fact that he has kinda established the Café Donbura as their secret base was fun.

And here are my complains: Tarou and Haruka's rather sudden character changes. I'll start with Haruka. For the last 2 episodes, I kinda understood that she missed Tarou a lot. As the team's leader and for knowing him longer than the others. But this episode, she was just being strange and different. One, she thought highly of Tarou. That scene when she was wondering what Tarou would say if he were present was ridiculous. The guy who couldn't say one encouraging thing to his comrades just 2 episodes ago would come and say, "Don't give up, I believe in you. You can definitely walk again." Is that a thing? Or are we scrapping Tarou's personality here? If he could say encouraging things like that, then why didn't he say them 2 episodes earlier when they desperately asked for it? And two, she was a little too desperate to bring back Tarou, going as far as saying she is prepared to die for it. I get that she had to pledge loyalty to Tarou-sama, but I didn't think she would go this far to dedicate herself to being Tarou's companion. What's EVEN WEIRDER is that at the end, Tarou actually fulfilled her expectations! He said those words to her, and called her by her name for the first time. As far as I can recall, he NEVER did that before. He only called her 'Omae' (and 'kimi' in episode 3) or 'Oni'. And he showed his emotional and vulnerable side, which he rarely did before. Did sleeping in a box in another dimension for 2 episodes taught him to be a decent person for once? He disappeared for 2 episodes and when he comes back, he's less insensitive and more friendly in his human form? Well, I didn't like this change. Call it character development or whatever, I was hoping it would have a proper arc instead of being like this. And this will most likely be forgotten in the next episode (aside from the recap of this episode), since Tarou will go back to his indifferent, disdainful self in the next episode. So I might as well pretend this apparently significant moment never happened.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:12 pm Okay I laughed when Kijino couldn't recognize Miho through the photo filter
In his defense, her face was not properly recognizable with that ridiculous puppy filter.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:12 pm I would love it if Saruhara doesn't do any more haiku
Could that possibly, hypothetically be because they are hard to translate? 😅😝
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:12 pm Is this the first time we've seen black transform?
Nope, he had a solo transformation scene in episode 5 as well.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:12 pm Oh, it's that weird lottery thing that we saw in ep 1. But I thought the glasses existed to protect against it?
That thing appeared again when we saw how Shin'ichi and Tsuyoshi became rangers. And the sunglasses don't protect them against the lottery thing, rather that lottery has something to do with someone receiving the Donbrothers gears. So the sunglasses appear after the lottery thing appears.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:12 pm Oh, so the people that the Nouto "kill" aren't actually dead. Interested to see how this changes the DonBros' mission
That was some mighty fine retconing. Lmao. I laugh quite alot when they did that. I'm like i'm here for the ride so whatever but come on, Director-san you quite wanted those people to die, die. What's wrong did the parents go karen and call up Toei after that episode?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

At this point I don't want Inuzuka to ever find out the other rangers' identities. I want him to be in the dark for the entire show. In 2032 I want Donbrothers 10 Years After where he still doesn't know.

I agree that suddenly introducing this limbo state for their victims really feels like someone complained. And I'm always against bringing back dead characters.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Strangely enough, I'm okay with the victims not actually being dead. Killing off humans would probably lead to problems for the Nouto world due to a lack of human brain waves. Keeping them unconscious and imprisoned would ensure that this balance isn't upset while suppressing the intense desires that give rise to hitotsuki.

Inuzuka deciding to visit Kijino felt so forced. Meeting him just to talk about Natsumi doesn't sound reasonable for someone that is on the run from the police.

I was irritated to hear Jirou blame Haruka and Shinichi for what happened. In the previous episode, Haruka wondered if it was their fault. Shinichi quickly countered this negative thought, saying the enemy was simply too strong. Bringing this up again was stupid and didn't go anywhere useful.

Jirou's willingness to execute Shinichi contradicts his character. He admired Tarou for not using violence to solve a problem. How is executing Shinichi supposed to solve anything? This is sending a lot of mixed messages about Jirou's motivations. We barely know who he is and the writing is making him out to be a bigger monster than the official villains.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Jesus told [the lame man], “Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk!”
Instantly, the man was healed! He rolled up his sleeping mat and began walking! John 5:8-9

Tarou confirmed as Jesus.

So no one knows InuBrother still and doesn't look like it's happening next episode either, which I suspect now is due to to the first episode where Tarou said he didn't have a link to Inuzuka. My guess is we'll have to wait until an Inu focus episode for Tarou to finally form a link at which point the group will come together.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Inuzuka deciding to visit Kijino felt so forced. Meeting him just to talk about Natsumi doesn't sound reasonable for someone that is on the run from the police.

I like it in that Kijino and Inuzuka are both desperately isolated men who've found like a single friend who they both share a major common interest. It's unfortunate that it's the same woman, but what can you do?

>I was irritated to hear Jirou blame Haruka and Shinichi for what happened. In the previous episode, Haruka wondered if it was their fault. Shinichi quickly countered this negative thought, saying the enemy was simply too strong. Bringing this up again was stupid and didn't go anywhere useful.

I didn't mind him bringing it up, since it's a good point. What I didn't like was the weird tone of him just casually going "Okay, maybe I should just kill you two" It makes me worried about Inoue that this is his default view of things XD

>Jirou's willingness to execute Shinichi contradicts his character.

Oh yeah and it doesn't match up with everything we've seen of Jirou so far

>Jesus told [the lame man], “Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk!”

That also felt a bit weird. Some people are legitimately disabled. Yelling at a person who's hurt until they're not hurt feels weird?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Glad I'm not the only one who got Jesus vibes from Tarou just commanding Haruka to get better. It was very odd.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I mean, Shinichi can recite Haiku again, which means they probably gained enough points for helping revive Tarou to cancel out the negative effects.

So Haruka's disability should be gone too, she just didn't have the confidence to try standing up.
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

They're saying the word "minus" can it be translated as "in the red"?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

fartboy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:56 am They're saying the word "minus" can it be translated as "in the red"?
How would you have phrased it naturally? "In the minus" isn't standard English. Neither is "you have minus points"
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

I've heard "your x are in the minus" plenty of times before. Then again, I'm not American.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

In the negative, in the red, definitely, in the minus not so much

"In the negative" - 527 million google hits
"In the minus" - 8.7 million
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, like Luna said, "in the minus" is just a bit of Engrishy phrasing from Japan
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So many questions!

So, in Nouto - Kami no Kimi - Momoi Taro we get some interesting world building (putting aside this is 100% retcon because of parents complaining): When a Nouto Knight vanquishes a MOTW the monster's host has to go to the shadow realm in a glass box so that their impure ambition can be slowly removed. Since Pink was only in the Shadow Realm for a couple of minutes there is no way that his impure ambition was removed so unless he learns self control (maybe Blue can give him a poem to chant?) Pink will still be a MOTW under the correct stimulus. (Maybe he goes MOTV when he realizes that the guy who he helped send to the shadow realm is still alive so he allows Sonoi to kill a MOTW just so he can go back and kick the guy's ass again.) The personality changing effects of the Shadow Realm were apparent in Momoi since he does a 180 with his behavior toward his retainers. Perhaps a future story line would be that Momoi doesn't like Sonoi anymore, not because Sonoi killed him, but because of the shadow realm's influence? Another story line might be that Momoi can now lie and does so when he thinks that it would help others. Another question about the shadow realm: are there consequences for Pink breaking the glass container him and Jirou were in? Is the shadow realm the realm of impure ambition and the glass cages protect the host from the environment? Is Pink (and Jirou) now doubly stained with impure ambition? Or does their sentai suits protect them?

In other news, Jirou becomes a full Nouto Knight, but because he is part of Momoi's family, will the goldfish will tell Sonoi that he needs to kill Jirou as well?

In Doki Doki Love Love Super Mangaka we see that Haruka and hippie sacrificed and went negative in their in game currency to try to help Momoi and had to pay consequences. But, their sacrifices pay off because it was their faith that caused Momoi to change his personality at the end of the episode. (The two shows don't have to have the same continuity.) Also, as a homage to Ouran High School Host Club, Haruka "slips on a banana peel" into Momoi's arms. Also, Pink and Black almost discover the horrible truth about the Jyuto waifu but are saved by a smart phone photo filter.

In Kamen Rider Zen-O, we see a little of Kaito's dark side. Presumably, hippie and Haruka were both fine before they walked into Barista Snake's coffee shop, but became afflicted as soon as Kaito realized that he had forgot to afflict them.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”