DonBrothers 15 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:12 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
42%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Re: DonBrothers 15 discussion thread

Post by midorininger »

Lunagel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:54 pm Jesus told [the lame man], “Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk!”
Instantly, the man was healed! He rolled up his sleeping mat and began walking! John 5:8-9

Tarou confirmed as Jesus.
i laughed too hard at this
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:34 am At this point I don't want Inuzuka to ever find out the other rangers' identities. I want him to be in the dark for the entire show. In 2032 I want Donbrothers 10 Years After where he still doesn't know.
yes inu in the dark forever!

so i had to give this weeks episode a 3. i wasnt too put off about the victims being in limbo, i mean its modern super sentai. if this was the 1980s or even the earlier 90s ... then yes. but no not modern sentai. but what got me was, i recall last week it was stated that they must have stockholm syndrome for tarou, and Haruka saying he would have cheered her on ... even though he did .. was out of character for him. the Tarou i know would have thrown it in her face saying "Thats what you get for over spending on your points!" and goaded her for being unable to walk or fight asking what is she going to do now, expecting her to find a solution on her own.

also in flash back he had black hair, so are we to assume he has a canon reason for dying it? although the dye seems to be fading currently because its not as orangey as it is in the intro.

the other reason i had issue with the episode, its the sixth rangers debut, and we didnt see him solo finish the motw, Tarou shared spotlight with him. yeah it breaks the mold and trend but ... and Dragoku kinda looks like a knockoff toy youd see in Dollar tree. its almost like they put a power ranger head on saiya saga vegeta body gave it a spear and said "cool new toy!"
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

midorininger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:50 pm also in flash back he had black hair, so are we to assume he has a canon reason for dying it? although the dye seems to be fading currently because its not as orangey as it is in the intro.
Simple reason for that, JP high schools almost across the board forbid dyed hair.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

im aware of that rule. BUT! what would make Tarou, a nouto, who is ruled by logic, dye his hair? there is no reason to do so, and by having a false hair color its a lie and he doesnt lie yes? god to throw that logic at him would be amazing. i think it would go something like throwing a logical paradox at a futurama robot.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Maybe his hair was bleached a lighter color by working outside? (I do realize that he wears a hat, but maybe on a previous job?)
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm a bit late on this one, so everyone else has already hit a lot of the high points here. It was entertaining enough, and I'm glad Tarou is back, but this episode was kind of a mess with respect to its own internal logic.

As several other people have already noted, the fact that the MOTWs defeated by the Nouto aren't actually dead feels like a massive ret-con at this point. Up until now the series has been very explicit about matters: humans are eliminated, and we even had that cracking cube graphic to go with it. So to find out that they are all in fact safe and sound - just in another dimension - greatly diminishes the the threat of the Nouto. If they're not actually killing anyone (or really even harming them), then why are they a problem, again?

I did like the disability used for Shinichi, though. Making it so that the brain of the group couldn't write haikus (and thus crushing his spirit) was far more interesting than merely making him physically disabled like Haruka. It's the kind of thing that works very well with the character as we know him.

But for similar reasons, I'm getting increasingly tired of Tsubasa being missing from the group/action so often. I realize he has a "special" storyline. But the character is basically running in place at this point. He's not growing, and the lack of interactions with other characters is, if nothing else, removing what could be a source of entertaining character moments. He needs to be brought into the fold.

And while I won't prattle on about Tarou and Haruka's characterizations, I'm in agreement with some of the other posts here that both are out of character here. Haruka is a little too eager to get Tarou back, and Tarou was being too damned nice for a dude that's normally a hard-ass.:lol:

Also, we got a sixth ranger here? Somehow, this episode fell flat with his introduction. Maybe it was because he didn't get an over-the-top solo fight like sixthes usually get, or maybe because his power was one step removed from a deus ex machina, but he didn't make much of an impression. These short DonBros fights are making it hard to have much characterization in the fights themselves.

Tangentially, this is another episode where we get a new insert song that is killed by the audio mix. You can't even make out the lyrics; they're buried underneath all the sound effects. Sentai didn't use to have this problem, so I'm struggling to understand why the audio mixing is so bad this season.

Finally, I find it interesting that Sonoi went behind the back of his fellow Nouto to help free Tarou. It may not happen next week or even next month, but at some point that's definitely going to have some series-changing repercussions. :shock:
takenoko wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:23 pm I like it in that Kijino and Inuzuka are both desperately isolated men who've found like a single friend who they both share a major common interest. It's unfortunate that it's the same woman, but what can you do?
If this was a GIGA series? MFM :oops: :lol:
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Man, I’m really hoping we get some time for the team to process everything with Kijino. Episode 8 looked like an accident, but his teammates have to be a little worried about the guy; this feels like the wrong time to introduce a 6th simply because the next episode should probably be a Kiki focus.

On a side note, it’s fascinating for Sonoi to claim to give the rangers a “second chance” when he’s really after a second chance for himself.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

ViRGE wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:36 am
takenoko wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:23 pm I like it in that Kijino and Inuzuka are both desperately isolated men who've found like a single friend who they both share a major common interest. It's unfortunate that it's the same woman, but what can you do?
If this was a GIGA series? MFM :oops: :lol:
I wonder if that should become a thing: we can't figure out how a plot would go? Image what it would be like if it was a Giga series.

For example: Tarou gets beaten down in a fight and is struggling to get up. Haruka: "Come on Tarou, don't get soft on us!"

The Nouto need to get some secret information from Haruka. Sononi tries to seduce Haruka with all of the stupid come on lines the guys have been using on her.

The MOTW is a lonely guy who wants friends so the monster causes his female victims' clothes to change to Arabian harem attire and the victims crowd around him. The heroes cannot get close to the MOTW until Haruka gets the idea that they should untransform and do bishounen things. This causes the victims to lose interest in the MOTW giving Haruka a clean shot.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Mxylv wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:25 am Man, I’m really hoping we get some time for the team to process everything with Kijino. Episode 8 looked like an accident, but his teammates have to be a little worried about the guy; this feels like the wrong time to introduce a 6th simply because the next episode should probably be a Kiki focus.
Oh man, I had almost nearly forgotten about Bird Man. Yeah, that needs addressed. The fact that it wasn't addressed in this episode downplays something that should be a big deal.
vasyear
7X
Quote: don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining

Post by vasyear »

I find DonBrothers is a meatoric shift from Zenkiger, Zenkiger from my POV was justified to help people get through lock down, kinda like this era's "Carranger" back then Japan had that Saran gas attack on the subway network and a massive earthquake and Zenkiger had the dam pandemic.
What they are doing with Donbrothers the story if it keeps going this way to me is coming close to Kyuranger in terms of it's a kids show but they are talking about serious subjects hell the yellow ranger this week she was disabled something I know all too well!

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”