DonBrothers 17 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:27 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 17 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.5 of 5 stars (10 votes)

lol at the effect of Natsumi getting swallowed up. That's a bad effect

Are we going to see what happened to make Tsubasa think that he has to be on the run a year? If not, that's pretty bad storytelling

Oh, so Tsubasa isn't the monster of the week. Inoue took advantage of my expectations

Of course Tsubasa runs past the shop where Miho is in

Why is Tsubasa making weird noises. He's not actually a devil

Ooh, Tsubasa's background revealed at last

Wait, how many Jyuto are there? And why did they appear so long ago?

Kijino runs away from Tsubasa right when he needs a friend. Also totally misses Sononi

I hate Tanabe's hair. Nice, Tanabe didn't fall for Sononi's trap

What, the guy Kana likes is Tsubasa? What is this, a fourway relationship? At least she thinks he's innocent

I hope that's her real room. That's so good

God I Iove Sonoza, he's so disturbing

Wait, so they saw him transform?

Oh, the woman is this Hitotsuki? Inoue, you tricky fiend

I think this is the first time we've had the primary color trio enter so late. Appreciate a sentai that actually spreads the focus around

Of course Kijino's flying fails to be useful

Put away your useful halberd for a dagger. A pity, would have liked to see some spear versus spear work

Another ranger? This time an evil ranger? I mean we just had Stacy, but sure, why not

To make another meta comment, it's nice to have the sixth ranger introduced, and then he's just kind of around lol. Too often, it feels like they introduce a sixth. The sixth and red bond on their intro episode. Then sixth and blue will have an episode. Sixth and pink, etc. No, just treat him like a dude and focus on him when something interesting is going on with him

Observations
-Tsubasa has a bulldog shirt in the flashback
-Why does Dragoku say he feels like an older brother. How is that connected to ZyuRanger?
-How is the lady connected to Jetman? I didn't watch that series
-In the captions, the voice at the end is called Mother
-Dude was from Ultraman R/B, that's why he looked familiar
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 17 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

this was a fun episode.

and I love how, 17 episodes in, literally the entire team has met while in or out of costume, and yet Inu still doesn't know who ANYONE on the team is and vice versa, but two of the Nouto do, and so too do a couple of complete randos.

also, ngl, I was fully expecting this episode to be where everyone found out who Inu was because I was expecting Kiji to show back up after the girl said she was into Tsubasa, have him see her and say "oh, it's your girlfriend!" to continue his misunderstanding from earlier, and cause Tanabe to go full Hitotsuki. I love how often my expectations get screwed with in this show.

oh, I can't wait for next episode. evil female purple shark ranger? yes, hi, I'm a lesbian with a type.

also love the pun of her name. Murasame usually means "Village Rain" and I've seen it given to "evil" swords in fiction before, which would fit with the evil recolor of Don Momo's sword, but also:

Murasame. Mura(saki) Same. Purple Shark. love it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:44 am also love the pun of her name. Murasame usually means "Village Rain" and I've seen it given to "evil" swords in fiction before, which would fit with the evil recolor of Don Momo's sword, but also:

Ooh, I didn't grok that Murasame is a lady. I wouldn't mind an anti-hero that wasn't purple though, but I guess this is sentai. Purple in Japanese represents "madness". Also, "same" is the Japanese word for "shark", so the name is a pun on another level
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:05 pm
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:44 am also love the pun of her name. Murasame usually means "Village Rain" and I've seen it given to "evil" swords in fiction before, which would fit with the evil recolor of Don Momo's sword, but also:

Ooh, I didn't grok that Murasame is a lady. I wouldn't mind an anti-hero that wasn't purple though, but I guess this is sentai. Purple in Japanese represents "madness". Also, "same" is the Japanese word for "shark", so the name is a pun on another level
no, I know. I mentioned that. should've put a plus sign between Mura(saki) and Same to make that clear.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ah sorry, I saw the purple part and missed the shark part
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

all good. also, I should probably clarify that I saw people talking about Murasame online and someone had edited their post to correct themselves on Murasame's gender, but the more I try to look into it, the lest actual evidence there is that Murasame is a woman and not just that someone was confused by the female voice waking them up, so if it turns out Murasame is male, I apologize for misspeaking.
HeXaDaast
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Choujuu Sentai Liveman
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Twokaizer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai
Quote: Everything will turn out right, the world is built on that.

Post by HeXaDaast »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:27 pm
-Why does Dragoku say he feels like an older brother. How is that connected to ZyuRanger?
DragonRanger was TyrannoRanger's older brother.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Don Murasame doesn't have a skirt which would hint at a boy. The social medias are hinting at a big secret over his/her identity. But they're also mentioning a new girl in the cast next week.

Honestly the obvious candidate for Don Murasame is Natsumi/Miho. It's been a year and he was told he'd see her again.

I agree it's nice focus is being spread. I half expected the non-CG trio to not even appear outside of suit this week.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it's because of COVID. Focus on one or two Rangers so you're not having to have huge amounts of people on set at once.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

HeXaDaast wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:15 pm
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:27 pm

And our red ranger Momotarou says he doesn't know what he's talking about. What if... wild guess... Jirou really is his older brother? Is Don a family name?

By the way, the scene where Natsumi was pulled away was also a reference to a scene with Rie Aoi in Jetman: https://youtu.be/aJ3IRU3o6IQ?t=2

And Jetman is kind of heavy on the love theme, hence the MOTW?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:08 pm all good. also, I should probably clarify that I saw people talking about Murasame online and someone had edited their post to correct themselves on Murasame's gender, but the more I try to look into it, the lest actual evidence there is that Murasame is a woman and not just that someone was confused by the female voice waking them up, so if it turns out Murasame is male, I apologize for misspeaking.
I'd love to have a new member who's a lady. When was the alst time they did that, Go-On Wings? That said, the voice telling Murasame to wake up in the captions is listed as:
Spoiler
Mother
whoever that is
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Yaiba wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 am
HeXaDaast wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:15 pm

And our red ranger Momotarou says he doesn't know what he's talking about. What if... wild guess... Jirou really is his older brother? Is Don a family name?
the Notou referred to Tarou as being from "the royal Don family" before, so it's possible.

I saw someone speculating online that because the new person now makes THREE people with Don in their name that maybe that's the "REAL" reason the season is called "Don Brothers" and the rest of the team being "brothers/sister" is in a found family kinda way.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I can kind of see the Don family all being related. They are weird refugees from a particular Nouto clan, right? The surname is a reflection of their adopted parents? So wait, is Jin's name Momoi Jin?
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:27 pm Are we going to see what happened to make Tsubasa think that he has to be on the run a year? If not, that's pretty bad storytelling
It seemed to imply that he became a suspect because Natsumi is missing and the rest of the acting troupe are still unconscious due to the origami cranes.

It was a little jarring to see the height difference between Sononi at Tsubasa. The image of her looking up at him to talk down to him was novel.

It looks like Inu Brother throwing that big shuriken is going to be a thing. It probably saves on production time because the animator doesn't have to deal with physical contact points between a CG character and suit actor. Say goodbye to Inu Brother jumping on bad guys into submission.

The couple featured in this episode are trash.

The references to previous episodes were a nice surprise.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>It seemed to imply that he became a suspect because Natsumi is missing and the rest of the acting troupe are still unconscious due to the origami cranes.

The initial post is written in real time, so sometimes I ask questions for things answered in the episode later on. Thinking about it more though, doesn't it seem like Tsubasa is kind of being dumb here? The monster obviously told him to not say anything for a year because clearly some monster is incubating in his girlfriend, and if he talked about it, they would be able to stop it. Also, he clearly tells other people about what happened in this very episode. If this were a Greek tragedy, this would be Orpheus eating shit at the goal line

>It was a little jarring to see the height difference between Sononi at Tsubasa. The image of her looking up at him to talk down to him was novel.

Oh, that's a pretty good observation. I didn't notice how much taller he is to her, or the perspective of the camera in the later scene

>The couple featured in this episode are trash.

WHaaaat? A couple in an Inoue story that have an unhealthy relationship?

Probably should get her eyes checked too
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Glad we finally got to know what happened to Natsumi. A decent episode.

Tsubasa was being really dramatic about reuniting with Natsumi. What was up with that hand gesture right before he saw Tanabe?

Poor Tsubasa. They're gonna keep treating him like a pet dog till the end of the series....

Oooh, Sononi got him good. Lol. He embarrassed himself anyways.

Does anyone else see how similar Tsubasa is to Touma(LupinBlue)? Quiet dude with a mysterious personality, lost his fiancee exactly a year before the series started, became a fugitive to get her back and is good at cooking.

Well, this plan was destined to fail one way or the other. I was at least hoping that this time Tsubasa can win against Jirou. But guess not. Poor guy. First lost his dignity to him, then lost in a fight against Jirou.

Why is Tanabe so superficial? A pretty girl, that's all it will take?

I was ok with Tsubasa running around the city all this time. But in those clothes and scaring people away, that's a hard no.

So Tsubasa was an actor.... That's why he got into his role as a devil so much and went as far as making those weird noises... But Natsumi was an actor too?

Who sleeps with their diamond ring out in the open like that? Aren't they afraid it might get stolen?

Why didn't Tsubasa try pulling the origami out of her mouth when he saw it go inside Natsumi's mouth? And the Jyuuto only said he'll see her again a year later. He didn't say that Tsubasa can be with her again after a year. Then why does he keep hoping for that?

Tsuyoshi just... Left?! As I thought, he is too obsessed with his wife. He didn't have to leave Tsubasa behind like that just because he missed his wife. Aren't they together very often?

Isn't Tsubasa's love already a painful one? It seems that way to me, though.

Oh man! Tsubasa's reaction when he found out that Kana is in love with him were pure gold! LMAO!

Ok, did they have to make it so weird? As weird as filling Kana's room with wanted posters of Tsubasa? Even lamp, pillow and blanket, wow... Oh wait. They missed her pajamas and slippers. Probably should've put his face on those too.😑😒🙄😶😓

So Tsubasa isn't consciously concealing his ranger identity? Is it just that the other Donbrothers are not finding out about it... Coincidentally?

Wait, why is Kana upset that his ranger form is a dog? What's wrong with that?! 🤔😒

This Hitotsuki's voicework was really bad, imo. The voice didn't sound monstrous at all.

It was funny when Tarou told the others to shut up when combining. I'm glad he told them that, though. Their weird noises get annoying after a few times.

Next episode looks really fun. Let's see who manages to land a strike on Tarou. I bet it won't be any one of the rangers.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:27 pm I hate Tanabe's hair.
Agreed. The color didn't suit him. Plus, it was stupid when he was exposing his forehead for no reason. I get that it was so that we can see the Hitotsuki grow in him but there was no reason behind it other than that.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:27 pm Put away your useful halberd for a dagger. A pity, would have liked to see some spear versus spear work
I mean, they have to incorporate the Avatar changes into the story somehow no matter how illogical or stupid it may be in certain circumstances.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:27 pm Dude was from Ultraman R/B, that's why he looked familiar
Oh, so he's from R/B... I got that he was in Ultraman from the behind the scenes photos, but didn't know what season he was from.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice