DonBrothers 18 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:33 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 18 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.46 of 5 stars (13 votes)

Interesting that Murasame is a sword. That's pretty closer to the legend isn't it?

Kind of an oddball episode, but I'm enjoying the antics

Poor Haruka's actress, I wonder how many takes and how many sits ups she had to do

Are the Nouto even villains anymore? It feels like the DonBros and Nouto are more allies than anything else

Wait, won't Sonoi know these are all the DonBros in their civilian form?

Murasame has a cool powerset so far. I think this is the first time Toei's taken advantage of going out of bounds to fight this well

Oh hey, it's a toy fight!

Really surprised their takeaway was "We don't want to see Tarou lose" and not "This guy had no friends and his childhood pet ran away. That sad."

Sure, this probably didn't move the plot down the goal line and the Murasame was less "introduce a new character" t han "introduce a new toy", but I still enjoyed the antics of the characters and I'd rather stray in too much focus on character, than too much focus on story (it could be said a story bereft of character is no story at all even).

Gotta love Sonoi for making excuses to hang out with Tarou. "Th-this is a duel. That's all. Dummy!"

/me does a bit of research. Oh that's disappointing. I expected Mother to be a voice actor, but it looks like Murasame is as well? Also it's voiced by Murase Ayumu who's a guy (sounded like a lady), so we don't even get that? Obviously after a year of Zenkaiger, I'm not thrilled to have a purely animated character
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 18 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

man, they just don't do episodes like this anymore. it's almost entirely fluff, but none of it is extraneous fluff. I enjoyed it.

also, this is just making me wonder what they'll do with Sonoza, since he didn't show up this episode, and hasn't been doing nearly as much as even Sononi.

also, thoughts on purely VA characters aside, "Mother" is Mamiko Noto who plays a lot of characters I like in things, particularly a few rather popular characters from the Fate franchise, and Murasame is voiced by, among other things, Iruma from Mairimashita Iruma-kun, a series I've really gotten into over the last year or two.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K

Post by Aeikozz »

Super Hero Time was on Fire this week. Very good episode. and no random MOD either. ^_^ she was like aight you won so this week no monster. lmao.. Still i'm hoping this purple is a girl. Voice sounds very female. Be really nice if she was like Zaki from Project Justice. One can dream can't they...

ahhh
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Oh yeah, I didn't realise that, we had no Hitotsuki, just Don Murasame making his appearance. Honestly I'm surprised Jin gave them that trick to get Tarou. I figured he'd just tell them to fuck off or something.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This episode seemed like an even split between Doki Doki Love Love Super Mangaka and Nouto - Kami no Kiba - Momoi Taro.

On the Nouto side, we had Sononi offer help to Tsubasa (because he won the bet last week) but Tsubasa does not trust her since usually they are trying to kill each other. Sononi looks impressed. We also have Sonoi shift gears from wanting to kill Momoi to beating him in a contest in helping people. I wonder if the goldfish are going to yell at him for ignoring their orders? They probably are not mad at Sononi since she doesn't have to kill the retainers. Now, if this is signalling a baby face turn by the Nouto, they have a huge problem with Sonozo, aka Creepy McCreeperton from Creepytown. I guess the best they can do is have him try to be nice and have everyone be creeped out. We also had a new rouge Nouto show up. Too bad Sela didn't show up to kick its butt. Also, no idea who its mom is supposed to be.

On the Mangaka side, we had the end of the more likeable Momoi as he reverts back to unbearable Gary Stu mode. The four familiar members of the bishounen super hero club are challenged to land a blow on Momoi and if successful Momoi will accept them as equals. The club is not able to break through his Gary Stu plot shielding so they go to the Mysterious Man of Mystery, Jin, for advice and he reveals a chink in Momoi's armor. They exploit this to perfection but then cannot bring themselves to hit Momoi with their plastic nets since they like Momoi better as an obnoxious jackass. They had some great shoujo manga effects on Haruka when she was getting ready for her individual attack, though.

Not much going on with Kamen Rider Zen-O this week, but Kaito does ride a motorcycle in the previews for next week, so maybe the actor is done with the Zenkaiger musical and can devote more time to this show?
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

In the conversation about Jirou, it is weird how they never discuss the process that selected all of them to be Tarou's companions. There is a reason behind Jirou gaining powers that goes beyond coincidence or random chance.

Seeing Sonoi defending his fashion sense was a cute moment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Arigomi wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:38 pm In the conversation about Jirou, it is weird how they never discuss the process that selected all of them to be Tarou's companions. There is a reason behind Jirou gaining powers that goes beyond coincidence or random chance.

Seeing Sonoi defending his fashion sense was a cute moment.
You know, do we know anything about any of the DonBros? Haruka has an aunt but no parents, Shinichi is a weirdo poet laurette bum, and we know literally nothing about Tsubasa and Tsuyoshi besides them being the ultimate wife guys. All these guys could have hatched from a peach egg too for all we know
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Fun episode. And strange...

Don Murasame's voice sounds pretty high for a male character. Is Don Murasame female after all?

Zenkaizer Black participates in this (important) conversation only once... and all he says is 'Wan'? Nonetheless, an LMAO moment! For him to do something as silly as this is hilarious!

I don't care what kind of a ranger or how strong Tarou is, if he's treating his teammates like mere tools or weapons instead of people, then that's not a trait of a good leader. People have feelings, and can make choices. He got killed the last time he didn't acknowledge them properly. And in episode 16 Jirou rebelled against the team and started attacking everyone. Did he forget that so soon?

I like that even though Jirou thinks he is a heaven-sent hero for this world, he is somewhat more humble (when he is his regular regular self, and not attacking his teammates) than Tarou. So I still like him more than Tarou as a character.

Attempting to do catch him off-guard right after Tarou talked about the game is very stupid. And how in the world did Zenkaizer Black fall for that UFO thing? Also, I really really really want to see Jirou win in this game.

Dang it, Tsuyoshi! You have terrible timing! And poor Jirou.

I would also feel great if one of them can land a strike on Taro.

Tsubasa is surprisingly an idealist. He sure seems to have a lot of faith in people.

And here I thought Tsubasa was willing to do anything to reunite with his girlfriend. He refused Sononi's offer and for what? Because she's an enemy?

And how can Sononi grant his wish? Do the Nouto have reality warping powers too? Also, how is she so sure that terrible things will happen if Natsumi and Tsubasa meet normally?

Tsuyoshi was completely standing out and very suspicious when he entered the shop covering his face with his bag. How stupid.

These imaginary scenarios of Tarou's companions are kinda funny and interesting. Because the results are always far from what they expect.

Shin'ichi's attempt was rather extreme... Lol.
Where did Tarou get a pot lid from? And how did he manage to write Shin'ichi's punishment on it so soon?

Ok... Haruka's entrance scene is... Beyond words. I don't know if I'm surprised, amused or confused. I think more amused than the anything else. She has the perfect plan too... I'm surprised she couldn't tell that this is the first time Tarou is getting cookies(or just any gift) from a girl. Can she not tell from how unsociable Tarou is? No girl would ever talk to him nicely, let alone give him gifts. Haruka wouldn't either unless she became a ranger. I still think Haruka is too kind towards Tarou.
And Tarou is being awfully emotional about the cookies... Poor girl, don't back out from such an important mission at the last minute! I can't believe she got guilt tripped into backing out of the plan... Dang it!
Also, Tarou looks kinda sad after opening the box. 😐😶

The kind of duel Tarou and Sonoi are having should have a time limit. Without that, there's no way they can settle things. There will always be someone who needs help.

Of course. The feathery, shiny suit guy is the fashion leader in the Nouto world. And that is not something to gloat about in front of Tarou... Lol.

Oh man, Haruka landed a strike on Sonoi. It's so sad, her plans are always perfect yet she got unlucky every time....

Why are Shin'ichi and Tsuyoshi yelling before attacking? The whole point is to surprise Tarou! And why is Sonoi helping Tarou against his teammates? That's totally unfair!

Don Murasame draws power from electricity? That's interesting...

Tarou still has no friends. Coworkers and comrades barely count since he treats people like objects. Is Jin defending Tarou, or trying make them feel pity for Tarou with these stories?

They don't want to see Tarou lose, that's why they backed out? Not because they felt guilty for emotionally manipulating him? They are so weird.....!!!!!! 😒😑😐😶😡😠 And Jirou is still praising Tarou.... He doesn't deserve praise for... Whatever this is.

Now I definitely want to see Tarou lose to Don Murasame.

There is a bush right behind Tarou, of course Don Murasame will come from behind him.

Tarou doesn't have an alter form that can swim in water? Hmm...

Oh that was a disappointment. Don Murasame lost their first fight. That makes me think either they're weak or they don't have their full power at this point. And I'm thinking the latter is has more chances of being true. They have cool moves but that kinda gets foreshadowed if they end up losing. Also, how could they even lose if they have such cool moves? If it's going to be a strong villain, I expected them to at least win their first fight.

I just realized that there was no Hitotsuki this episode. That's nice. Good to have a breather like this once in a while.

Ok, Tarou didn't lose to his teammates, but I'm glad someone caught him off-guard. Bonus points for it being an old lady. And why is he taking that bag away from her like a thief? Doesn't he know how to offer help?
How is Haruka commenting on this part? Mysterious...
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:33 pm Are the Nouto even villains anymore? It feels like the DonBros and Nouto are more allies than anything else
I stopped thinking of the Nouto as villains ever since Sonoi saved those people from the fire in episode 6. Sononi and Sonoza do feel more like villains since they openly attack people and seem to have evil intentions.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:33 pm Wait, won't Sonoi know these are all the DonBros in their civilian form
I don't think so. Tarou never mentioned anything about them being Donbrothers or their comrades. And if Sonoi didn't know their identities at that scene, he definitely figures out their real identities in the same episode when he see them all transform after Don Murasame's attack.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:33 pm Really surprised their takeaway was "We don't want to see Tarou lose" and not "This guy had no friends and his childhood pet ran away. That sad."
Honestly, I expected them to already know that he has/had no friends from his behavior. They should be aware of how unsociable Tarou is and his hard to deal/reason with personality by now. Which means it has been very hard for him to get along with people unless they are perseverant and make an active effort to try to get along with him like the Donbrothers are. But that doesn't make their attitude any less strange to me.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:33 pm /me does a bit of research. Oh that's disappointing. I expected Mother to be a voice actor, but it looks like Murasame is as well? Also it's voiced by Murase Ayumu who's a guy (sounded like a lady), so we don't even get that? Obviously after a year of Zenkaiger, I'm not thrilled to have a purely animated character
I was also disappointed to find out that Don Murasame is voiced by a male VA. But I was wondering if being voiced by a male VA necessarily means that the character itself is also male. I mean the only thing that makes us perceive a suited character properly other than its appearance is the voice and if that sounds high(and admittedly feminine), then is it not ok to think that Don Murasame is female? And this case is not a case similar to Kyuemon from Ninninger, because Kyuemon's voice was convincingly like a male's voice, so that one is more acceptable. Plus, they even showed us what Kyuemon looked like when he was human, so that's a thing to consider.
This is why I want to keep the probability open until they confirm in the story that Don Murasame is male.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I like that even though Jirou thinks he is a heaven-sent hero for this world, he is somewhat more humble (when he is his regular regular self, and not attacking his teammates) than Tarou. So I still like him more than Tarou as a character.

I don't know if I'd call him more humble. I think he has confidence issues and/or Tarou intimidates him

>Attempting to do catch him off-guard right after Tarou talked about the game is very stupid. And how in the world did Zenkaizer Black fall for that UFO thing?

More proof that Zenkaizer Black is an alien!

>And here I thought Tsubasa was willing to do anything to reunite with his girlfriend. He refused Sononi's offer and for what? Because she's an enemy?

Yes? Tsubasa doesn't have the viewer insight to know that the Nouto are basically noble aliens. He has every reason to suspect that there's some string attached to her offer, or that it even might be a trap

>And how can Sononi grant his wish? Do the Nouto have reality warping powers too? Also, how is she so sure that terrible things will happen if Natsumi and Tsubasa meet normally?

I do wonder if SOnoni knows more than she's telling. She definitely knows about the Jyuto stuff, but does she know that Natsumi is one? I forget at this point

>Ok... Haruka's entrance scene is... Beyond words.

I forgo how great that entrance was. So over the top, this series is amazing

>Can she not tell from how unsociable Tarou is?

It's like everyone forgot that Tarou's one weakness is that he has no concept of lying except Haruka

>Also, Tarou looks kinda sad after opening the box. 😐😶

Which is good, it humanizes Tarou. It makes us actually care about Tarou

>Oh man, Haruka landed a strike on Sonoi. It's so sad, her plans are always perfect yet she got unlucky every time....

D the Bros not know that Tarou and Sonoi are buds? I don't think they do?

>That's totally unfair!

Well, anything goes was the one rule they had

Tarou still has no friends. Coworkers and comrades barely count since he treats people like objects. Is Jin defending Tarou, or trying make them feel pity for Tarou with these stories?

>This is why I want to keep the probability open until they confirm in the story that Don Murasame is male.

Yeah same
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Oh, and I forgot to ask- Could you guys sub the Donbrothers and Revice movie trailers? I was hoping it would show up in one of the CM packs, but it didn't. So could you do the trailers separately?
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh. I guess we can
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:30 am Fun episode. And strange..Don Murasame's voice sounds pretty high for a male character. Is Don Murasame female after all?
It's a guy doing the voice. He just has the world's most feminine voice. I know, I was confused too.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

Don Murasame kinda looks like Sensuimaru from Transformers go ... well in Alter form anyways

but the burning question is don murasame a long lost relative? dun dun dun!

EDIT: Tarou is back to his natural hair color, so i guess the blonde in the opening was just temporary, which is odd to me since its in the intro for the whole year, plus typically a hair color doesnt change during the seasons run? unless it has before? i guess minor detail, but meh.

also Tarou's face during the bean sprout stealing fantasy is a cursed image.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Pretty much everything about the Don Murasame introduction was a superfluous toy advertisement. But I have to admit, he does get a bitchin' bass line for what I'm assuming is meant to be his leitmotif.

And Tarou and Sonoi being in a race to help people is genuinely wholesome. Often these kinds of moments are forced and become cloying, but here it was just legitimately nice.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

I hope capper computer will be fixed. I’m still watching, every week!!! So hope some whoever (anonymous whoever) continues be able to sub show…. Enjoy it so much.

Just wanted to say that. (Didn’t know where to post it)

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”