Kamen Rider Revice poll and series discussion thread

All that exists in my heart is cholesterol...

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:47 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ I'd risk my life for it
5%
☆☆☆☆ Nice Revice
14%
☆☆☆ I can be your angel or your devil
41%
☆☆ Kind of shallow
9%
☆ The devil made me do it
32%

Total votes: 22
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kamen Rider Revice poll and series discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Master Poll Link
Images

With the series nearing the end, how are you feeling about it? It seems kind of divisive from what I can tell. Some people are loving it while some people (like me) are really not into it
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm
Type: ENTP Inventor

Re: Kamen Rider Revice poll and series discussion thread

Post by Millsy »

Did not enjoy it!

I absolutely adore Zero-One and Saber, I was on a Reiwa high going into this show and it really let me down D:

Things kinda just felt underwhelming at the start - the characters and fight choreography especially compared to the flare that we got with Saber.

And then by the second half...we just got a bunch of what I can only call nonsense. Much of it as a result of backpedalling for...essentially no reason

Like - suddenly Vice was ALWAYS a good guy watching over Ikki? Suddenly George was always just a good guy despite his shadiness early on - but oh wait no actually he is always shady again because of Masumi's demon...

My two favourite characters were Hiromi and Genta - and of course they're MIA for so much of the show. I also kinda despise the episode now where the Igarashi family learns Hiromi is alive but with (fake) amnesia, because Hiromi suddenly appearing in the 30s as the final shot of the episode would have been such an amazing reveal if we didn't already know that he was around. I kinda get the feeling Hanta Kinoshita actually grew to hate how popular Hiromi became and he didn't ever wanna bring him back but just begrudgingly did so. He doesn't feel like he's good at adapting a show to the reviews of the audience and is better at having everything prepared beforehand - the early episodes i think are proof of that. Writing and characterization was pretty top notch back then.

And idk man, I never felt anything for any villains we got. The Deadmans were fun but slowly got picked off and left with nothing once Hana and Go became good guys. Akaishi was around for WAY too long, appeared way too early and then left without much fanfare...and it was weird for him to suddenly act like he genuinely cared about Daiji or felt genuine remorse for fake Weekend dad's dead family. Vail could have been more, but I was really happy with his final fight with Genta and I enjoyed the Vail series up till the final episode so I gotta take what I can get. and then Giff is kinda just...a nothing villain. I had no idea why I should feel threatened by this non-presense in the show up till now. The Ark was done in a similar way but so much better in execution imo - probably because he was put in the show earlier than Giff in Revice, and even in defeat his presence was still around and helped build up to a great finale between Aruto and Horobi.

real recognizes real - I like Sakura and she probably is the best female kamen rider we've gotten. Hana....not so much, but I liked her when she was Aguilera (not kamen rider though, don't think she had to exist)!

Small potatoes at this point but i also really dislike the names "Ultimate" Revi and Vice for the final forms. I get the feeling that generally kamen rider final form names try and represent the messages and themes of the show as a whole - even Ultimate Kuuga fit its themes of constant evolution. Ultimate is such a generic name for them - don't know why they weren't just called Giffard Rex Genomes as that's what the Vistamp was called...

2/5. Not the worst rider series for me - still would watch it over Kabuto, Decade or Rider '71 - but a big disappointment after the last two years. Excited for Geats though, hoping reiwa brings it back once more!
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show
Layton13
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: It's showtime!

Post by Layton13 »

This has to be the worst Rider show I ever watched, at least to me.

I hate the cast, every single one of them. Ikki and Vice get next to nothing to do and speedrun through their development, making them dull. Daiji is frustratingly underutilized and just annoying. Sakura feels like a character that repeats the same lessons over and over, and she just personally annoys me. Hiromi, I honestly just found dull and annoying during his exit episodes just felt more like a kid playing pretend hero instead of actually doing the right thing and stepping down. The Deadman are funny in the first arc, but... Besides that, end up just underwhelming. Akaishi is bizarre, inconsistent, and just a mess. Evil Mc. Evilface for the majority of his time, then suddenly family man!? Giff is just a big, dull void who does nothing and says nothing even when he gets to speak. Hikaru is my favorite Rider in the show by the sole fact that he is so underwritten that when they don't entirely fuck up his arc, he automatically gets that rank, and he also sucks! He's ignored for the majority of the show, speedran through his development in like 4-5 episodes before falling off the face off the earth. This cast is abysmal, straight up.

Hell, the entire cast is overshadowed massively by Chimera in his special, which is 25 minutes.

The story is basic and often just does not flow well, has terrible setup, breaks its own rules, and the pacing is consistently atrocious, flipping from Mach 5 to snail's pace.

The individual episodes are all bottom of the barrel, shoot themselves in the foot constantly, and are just not satisfying individually. That counts for filler and actual plot episodes.

This show has been thoroughly unenjoyable, which stings even more after Saber made me fall in love with it last year. I really don't enjoy disliking a show, but this just did not do it for me at all. 1/5, but if I could go lower, I would.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I saw a tumblr post the other day where someone was saying something to the effect of "sucks when someone makes a good premise and squanders it. like, dude, you had a GREAT idea and you didn't do it any justice." and that's about how I've felt about this, Saber, and a few other shows.

they all start off solid because it'd hard, though not impossible, to mess up "meet Character 1/2/3. there's not much to them atm, but that's because we have a whole season to get to know them. while we do, how cool are these suits/powers/fights?" but they end up stumbling at some point and just never seem to fully recover, often ending up with just "here's a bunch of cool suits. we're gonna bang our action figures together." and it's a real bummer.

it seems like a lot of these shows know what they WANT to be doing, or at least where they want to end up and what their ultimate message is intended to be, but they have no idea HOW to get there in a way that feels natural or earned. shows end up feeling inconsistent towards the middle points onward when stakes get raised and story gets more complex.

like, to compare to Donbrothers, since that's airing alongside it and currently still feels mostly together (though we're getting into the episode range where we'll find out how much longer that can last), Donbro has a million spinning plates. several of them get touched on per episode, but rarely if ever do they all, but that's still a bunch of plot threads happening at once. as a result it sometimes feels like a lot is happening and nothing is happening at the same time because no one thread is being so focused that it makes a major plot advancement, but stuff IS still happening. meanwhile Revice has at least as many plot threads, but it doesn't split the focus nearly as much, so you get a lot happening all at once for a thread, often making it feel rushed because it tries to do too much at once, and sometimes, because you need other plots to happen to the point that they can all converge in a way that makes sense, but those other plots aren't nearly as important, it feels like the show is spinning its wheels. it's a case of "everything and nothing are happening at the same time but stuff is getting done" vs. "everything and nothing are happening at the same time, but nothing has happened for three weeks or more."
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think there's just a lack of imagination for what the good characters are doing. Combine with bad guy commanders that can't get offed right away, and dropping monster of the week scenarios, thus creating a stew of a whole lotta nothing going on

Like here's what I remember of this series:
-Ikki and Vice learned to get along. Ikki worries about his dad and siblings, while also stealing the disappearing photo trick from Back to the Future. Ikki's memories getting erased are brought up from time to time, but there's never any emotional weight to them because the show is too cowardly to go full on sad
-Daiji is torn between his family and his job. He fights himself literally. The creators realize people liked his dark side so they bring him back in an ad hoc new form
-Sakura and Aguilera are good together, yay! But are often relegated to fighting mooks or unimportant monsters to keep them on the side
-Tamaki likes Aguilera. I do enjoy his breaking good moment, but he hasn't had anything to do in like 30 episodes
-Also there are like 20 fucking other characters in this show that get shit to do. Why?!
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

The problem of this series is Ikki look like "a plot device" rather than develop his personality and his story. I don't feel anything about Ikki, his role occur because he must have to.
Vice is another bad copycat version of Momotaros, not enjoy him at all.
Sakura is one of worst main female rider so far. Don't see any connection from her with other siblings, if compare to other family theme series like Magiranger, GoGoV.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Somehow, the show ended up discarding a lot of what they setup early on.
-Genta almost sold Happy Spa to a greedy land developer with his hanko, and they were never heard from again.
-Happy Spa became irrelevant once Fenix told people to seek shelter at the Ararat district.
-The parents gradually became less in involved in the darkest hours of their kids.
-The Deadmans cult simply faded away after Olteca's defeat.

The inner demon concept was handled in a strange way. They were treated as separate entities for a long time to obfuscate the obvious connection between humans and their demons. The writing could've explored how the demons were a window into the souls of the characters. Instead, Vice was written as a Reiwa Momotaros.

It feels like the stamp motif was intentionally left out of the writing. Most shows would find some way to make it work. Revice avoided talking about it even though the henshin sequence made references to LINE stickers.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah I think that's the major failing of a lot of year-long series is that the initial setup is great and then somewhere along the way they discard almost everything that made the beginning interesting. As you said, the inner demons were basically just turned into Imagin, the whole spa thing went essentially nowhere, the Deadmans discarded, the DILF Fenix commander killed off, suddenly we've got Weekend which does ? jack all.

It's just frustrating because the beginning is so good and then it gets Star Wars sequel-itis where the writers don't actually map out where they're going and what they want to do.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I guess I have to play devil's advocate here (no pun intended).

I get what they tried to do with the series, and while it does stumble a lot, I think certain parts DID improve over time while others faltered. But keep in mind, this was an anniversary series where they were trying to pay homage to EVERY show before it. For example:

- The MotW theme was based off of Zi-O.
- Revice being two-in-one that later became two was based on W.
- Riders fighting Riders, all created by the same person (at least initially) was based on Ryuki.
- Family members as Riders had roots in multiple series, including Black and (in a manner of speaking) Agito.
- The memory loss was a direct homage to the slow metamorphosis into a Greeeed in OOO.
- A business as the home base was also rooted in several series, such as Faiz, W, Kiva, Drive, Zi-O, Decade... in fact, most of the franchise, really.
- The son trying to surpass the father paid homage to Kiva.
- You can base several aspects of the show on the high school antics that was Fourze (including how new powers were developed and even tested in a few episodes.
- The evil brother was another nod to Black.

I mean, honestly... This show was in some ways one big love letter to the whole franchise, which was what both made and broke it. They tried to pull in key plot points, personalities, and arcs from 31 shows (the main franchise) spread across 49 years. For me, it was a bit of an easter egg hunt, and that made it rather fun. It also helped get me through whenever the plot stumbled. But it really did drag the show down when it came to cohesion and pacing.

Aguilera and Sakura prove that TOEI remembers how to have female heroes. Sure, the two of them get sidelines a lot, but I really feel like Sakura finally broke the curse when it comes to female Riders always being there just for window dressing. And while Aguilera never really stole the limelight as a Rider, that was perfectly fine because her relationship with Sakura was tighter than a lot of the other writing in recent series (and the blatant teasing as to how deep that relationship runs is another fun nod to Faiz).

All in all, I found the beginning to be slow, obnoxious, and it really took me a long time to get into it. Aguilera was the only interesting character at the time, and then they did away with the villains and started over (ala Amazon), but they still kept some minor connections by turning two of the villains into good guys. And that's sort of where it began to pick up the pace. I enjoyed watching Aguilera's slow redemption after losing everything she's known and believed. Seeing FeniX finally crumble when it was painfully obvious from the beginning that it wasn't the hero it portrayed itself as (Smart Brain, Yggdrasil, BOARD, Foundation X, etc.) meant a lot of the show's baggage could be dropped.

Perhaps the two worst things to drag this show down were Dai's constant flip-flopping (Ryuki) and the multiple times they completely forgot about plot and tried to turn it into something totally incompatible with the Kamen Rider franchise (Hibiki). But seriously, the whole point of this show was about dealing with your inner demons, and I think TOEI was trying to do just that - acknowledging all the highs they've failed to repeat while also addressing a lot of the lows they've constantly struggled to overcome.

It's not my favourite series, but with only one episode to go at this point, I'd put it at a far higher level than a lot of the other shows that never found their footing, such as Ryuki (believe me when I say, watching it again a few years back shocked me at just how many episodes of absolutely nothing there were), Zi-O, Saber, Drive, and Hibiki (the show that's Kamen Rider only in name). It reminded me a lot of Gaim, where the first half was mostly garbage and then it just suddenly took off (although Revice falls short of Gaim's orbit). A similar ting also happened with Fourze, where it only became interesting partway through and ended on a high note.

I often say that people watch shows such as Kamen Rider and are too critical of them because they're trying to view them as adults. But in this case, I think there was a lot that hit the right notes for adult audiences (especially with the prequel mini series) while still trying to appeal to kids with the goofiness that many claim made Den-O the longest-lasting show in the franchise. Perhaps the future will look upon Revice more favourably, much like the way some of the Heisei series became more endearing years later. Or maybe those memoriews will sour (like it did for me rewatching Ryuki. Only time will tell.

But until then, I've enjoyed the ride once it finally pulled out of the parking lot.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah this hits my bottom three Riders, down with Wizard and Ghost.

It started off so promising! The internal demons and the Deadmans, how awesome is that? I was even willing to put up with Vice's slightly irritating camera mugging. But then it just kinda went ↷ when they decided to axe Deadmans. Right about that point I stopped actually paying attention when watching.

The only highlight for me was Aguilera and Sakura being really useful and active characters/Riders. More of that, less of the pointless two episode riders please.
RobertPal
Go Go!

Post by RobertPal »

Lunagel wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:02 pm Yeah this hits my bottom three Riders, down with Wizard and Ghost.

It started off so promising! The internal demons and the Deadmans, how awesome is that? I was even willing to put up with Vice's slightly irritating camera mugging. But then it just kinda went ↷ when they decided to axe Deadmans. Right about that point I stopped actually paying attention when watching.

The only highlight for me was Aguilera and Sakura being really useful and active characters/Riders. More of that, less of the pointless two episode riders please.
There will be a Winter Movie coming.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

There's always a winter movie coming
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by Millsy »

Something that I've never seen before, maybe I just never paid attention but

There are a LOT of Japanese (and Chinese) fans that ended up flaming hanta Kinoshita on twitter. It seemed like overseas they REALLY didn't enjoy this show.

A lot of the replies were funny, basically saying "Thank you for your hard work. Please don't ever write a Tokusatsu ever again". At the same time though...kinda fucked

I know Saber was extremely popular in China so maybe that had something to do with those fans being nasty on Revice - the same thing happened last year with Ultraman Trigger because of how big Tiga is

But damn it was kinda a shock to see these posts so frequently. I kinda feel bad for Kinoshita, some of those messages border on harrassment, regardless how poop the show ended up being
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show
RobertPal
Go Go!

Kamen Rider Revice is finished.

Post by RobertPal »

Kamen Rider Revice is now finished. I've said most of my takes as the show went on, but to summarize it, the it started kinda boring, then the middle ranged from pretty good to mediocre, but the final third of the show (and especially the ending) was borderline incoherent. Even when it was good, it was never that good in a way that impacted the overall story of the show, just the singular two-parters. And for a show that is not particularly episodic, that is a very bad thing. The ongoing story never clicked. hopefully we get some Geats projects.
Last edited by Lunagel on Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: Merged with ongoing thread
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Re: Kamen Rider Revice is finished.

Post by Sonicguy001 »

RobertPal wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:13 am Kamen Rider Revice is now finished. I've said most of my takes as the show went on, but to summarize it, the it started kinda boring, then the middle ranged from pretty good to mediocre, but the final third of the show (and especially the ending) was borderline incoherent. Even when it was good, it was never that good in a way that impacted the overall story of the show, just the singular two-parters. And for a show that is not particularly episodic, that is a very bad thing. The ongoing story never clicked. hopefully we get some Geats projects.
well, this mysterious Anon group started doing Donbrothers out of nowhere, though it's a safe bet they're doing Geats. personally, i'm waiting for them to come out with Beyond Generations... unless they're waiting for the Revice movie and doing it as a double feature ala Ryusoulger VS LuPat and Episode Zero

Return to “Kamen Rider Revice”