DonBrothers 21 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
44%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
22%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 21 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.2 of 5 stars (10 votes)

Again the civilians are seeing them transform. Is this no longer a secret? Are these guys a cameo?

Oh, we're still dealing with the aftermath of Master's popularity

Tarou's getting better at the compliments

Oh Saejima is back. Did we know those Jyuto are creating the Anouni? That's new lore, right? Oh wait, or is that an Anouni disguised as a human?

Jirou is annoying, but at least we get to see more of Murasame's cool moves

I like the ramen guy just putting up with Saruhara's fantasies. I thought he prepared it rather quickly

As someone waiting for more Vagabond and Berserk, I get the impulse to kidnap your favorite mangaka and make them work Misery style. But maybe that's the wrong instinct to have:
https://kotaku.com/hunter-x-hunter-bers ... 1849184744

That's a neat logo. They put the Matsu 松 kanji in the middle of the don kanji 丼

Is Haruka left handed? Got to love that monkey man is so engrossed in his book that he doesn't notice her disappearing

Some good choreography between gorilla and the monster

The monster of the week has the kanji for shi/death 死 in his face

Oh, suddenly we're a robot

Ooh, fun swordplay between the robo and the monster. Unexpected

Filming on the Toei lot again. The ramen cart is on Oomori-Zaka

Nice. That jar has the Don 丼 kanji, but this time it has Shira 白 from Shirai in the middle

Man, the preview for next week looks great. Looking forward to it

For those of you who don't know katakana, I leave it as an exercise for you to spot the difference:
Which one is Tetsu and which one is Rashi?
1. ラシ
2. テツ
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 21 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I think the Jyuto was attacking an Anouni disguised as a human. I'm curious why this "Mother" has Murasame attacking the DonBros but also trying to defend Anouni.

interesting that there are 5,000 former users of the DonBro powers but technically not DonBros themselves. fun way to do a Shinkenger tribute, too, since that had multiple users of the powers, what with it being family obligations, and Shinken Yellow explicitly was there in place of her sister, which is probably why the guy kept calling Saruhara "Nii-san".
Spoiler
1 is rashi, 2 is tetsu
EDIT: whoops, that challenge was for people who don't know katakana. ;>_>
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Nice that they remembered Avatar Changes exist. This week we had Abare Killer and Kiba Ranger,
Spoiler
and next week we have Fiveman and Kyoryu Gold. Yep, 22 episodes until our first full-team change and it's not even one of the Gokaiger-onwards ones we thought they were sticking to.
I wonder if maybe they've seen fans complaining about them not being used. I'm curious how Don Murasame's work though. The main 5 match their colours, Jirou matches the 6ths, but how does it work with Murasame? Abare Killer would suggest villain rangers, but his changer toy comes with Gao Blue, Vul Shark and Zyuoh Shark, suggesting Shark Rangers. And since Abare Killer's a 6th, could they BOTH use that?

Kind of surprised this didn't follow up on Kaito becoming famous like it seemed like it was going to.
Spoiler
Next week we're following Haruka being kidnapped for manga though.
This isn't the first time Haruka's been weirdly happy about being kidnapped. That girl has a problem.

5000 previous Donbrothers is interesting. When I saw the preview last week, I assumed this was gonna be a guy who wished his powers away like Haruka did, but unlike her he didn't feel guilty and undo it.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Kind of surprised this didn't follow up on Kaito becoming famous like it seemed like it was going to.

I'm surprised they mentioned it at all, instead of treating it as a one-off gag
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I hope Haruka was going to pay for that copy of the photo book. She tore off plastic and threw the plastic on the ground.

The power of imagination stuff was problematic for me. Shinichi must have an eating disorder if he can confidently say that imaginary ramen can fill him up. It also implies that having no money for a basic necessity like food is not a problem.

Shinichi's adventure showed us that he has the power to forcibly drag people into his delusions. That was a psychic attack and somehow Shirai and Matsui weren't mentally scarred from it.

Are all of the Donbrothers going to have something sinister about them? Jirou has an evil persona, Tsuyoshi is willing to kill for Miho, and now Shinichi can no qualms about trapping people in an illusion like a Naruto villain.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean something I like about this series is that all the characters have some flaws. At least Haruka's only major so far is her ego and Tsubasa's is that he's kind of gullible
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

That was very enjoyable. I was having so much fun that before I realized it, the episode was over.

Haruka getting kidnapped, Sonoza's wild expressions and actions made me laugh real hard.

And they kept the focus on only Shin'ichi, which was fun for a change. Him being all weird with the power of his imagination. Again, does he stay hungry most of the time just cuz he has no money? In that case, he should not be physically fit at all. All this time, I thought he gets food as payment from the people he helps. But now they're telling me he stays hungry when he can't get that either. Weird.

How can Don Murasame perform Avatar changes? Doesn't one need Avatar gears for that, usually? And yet he did that without relying on gears. What's the explanation for that?

Why was the Cop Jyuuto eating an Anouni? I thought they were on the same side. And since Jyuutos mostly eat meat, are we to assume that Anounis are made of flesh/meat as well?

They also finally reveal how many people had the Donbrothers powers before the current team. Like that Tarou praised his team in that opportunity.

Loved the life-sized mech fight. They finally used the Don Onitaijin's function to their advantage.

Really looking forward to the next episode. Seems SUPER fun and exciting.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:19 pm For those of you who don't know katakana, I leave it as an exercise for you to spot the difference:
Which one is Tetsu and which one is Rashi?
1. ラシ
2. テツ
I loved that katakana trick because when I was first learning katakana I found シ、ツ、ソand ン to be pretty confusing. Same for maybe テ、チ、ケ and ク. And what surprised me is that a native Japanese was fooled by that trick. :lol:
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

If you're not paying close attention and it's a stylized font then yeah, it's totally plausible. It's like misreading rn as m, or capital I as l, it happens sometimes
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This was okay for me, not great. Shin'ichi's persona seems a little contrived and less relatable compared to the other sentai. Unless he's supposed to be a holy man type that would be relatable in Japan.

So Jirou is still evil and the photo book still exists? If this was Kamen Rider Ghost these things would have been forgotten mid-episode.

It's too bad that Haruka is so under powered that she can't use this opportunity to kick Sonozo's butt. And, why does Sonozo have an apartment?

Who would be a good candidate for being Haruka's third kidnapper? The ex-boyfriend? Evil salary man? Kaito when he shows his true colors? The Jyuto cop? The Jyuto Wifu? Sononi?
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:16 am How can Don Murasame perform Avatar changes? Doesn't one need Avatar gears for that, usually? And yet he did that without relying on gears. What's the explanation for that?
I'm still baffled by the system for assembling the team when a Hitotsuki appears. Sometimes they are warped to the location. Sometimes they run towards location.

I wanted to see more of that retro Japanese movie incorporated into the episode. Instead, it was just an unnecessary setup for the autograph.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I know I've prattled on about this off and on for the last several weeks, but at this point I really am reaching my limits with respect to DonBrothers' messy and leisurely storytelling. The lack of serious plot progression is eating away at my enjoyment of these episodes, especially as Inoue continues to pile on threads like wet noodles without first finishing what's on his plate.

I appreciate the novelty of this lackadaisical style of storytelling. But at 21 episodes in it's clear that while it works well on the level of an individual episode, it's hamstringing the overall series by holding it back. We ended last week with Jirou going crazy and the public becoming aware of the DonBros/Dragon Fires, and then rather than bringing these plot points to some kind of conclusion, they're essentially ignored in this episode and placed on the backburner. The same backburner where there are easily a dozen other important plot threads already waiting for resolution as well.

In short, the series isn't finishing things that it starts, and it's kind of cheesing me off at this point. I'm trying really hard not to disparage this series for not following the traditional Sentai formula (which has clearly become worn), but that doesn't mean you can't do arcs, dammit. Last week's escapades were a textbook setup for a proper part 2, and by not delivering on some kind of resolution it's retroactively diminishing my enjoyment of that episode (never mind this one). And to add insult to injury, this episode adds yet another unsolved mystery with the Jyuto snacking on an Anouni.

In some degree of fairness to Inoue, I think this style can work for a long series. But it's not a good fit for a merchandise-driven show like Super Sentai, where there's an explicit need to introduce new story elements (i.e. toys) at a regular pace. If Inoue didn't need to introduce Don Torabolt or Murasame, for example, then I'd have far less to complain about, as those two giant plot threads wouldn't be dangling in the wind. But at the end of the day, as the lead writer it's his responsibility to integrate Toei's merchandise requirements while still telling an interesting and coherent story. And right now by not wrapping up any significant plot threads, he is not accomplishing that.

Frustration over ongoing plot threads aside, it's good to see that we're getting some proper focus episodes for the individual characters. So often the plots of individual episodes have been a madcap mix of different characters that there's been very little time to focus on them on an individual level.

In retrospect, I'm not sure this episode tells us anything about Shinichi that we didn't already know. His easy-going nature, lack of income, and unique ability to imagine things into existence have all been established - though this is the first time we've seen him force his delusions on other people. And despite the MOTW asking him why he fights, he doesn't really answer that, either. None the less, it was fun to spend an episode with Shinichi being the aloof mooch that he is.

This was another episode that was fairly light on the fighting. Other than another quick Murasame/Jirou fight (and why does Murasame already have any Sentai powers?!), we only have a single large fight towards the end that's over in less than 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Consequently it's nothing amazing, but they did manage to get a bit of advanced stunt choreography in there. Meanwhile the decision to bring out Don Onitaijin for a small fight is an interesting one. Like the previous time this series has done it, it's a stark departure from status quo, and it's neat to see the suit out in the real world instead of on a highly CGI'd set. But the flip side is that because it's filmed like any other ground fight, it breaks the illusion that Don Onitaijin is a giant robot - it very much looks like a suit when shot on the ground in this fashion.

As an aside, if not for people mentioning here that the MOTW was Shinkenger themed, I would have likely never figured it out. Normally we at least get to see the series' logo during the MOTW transformation, or the series' red ranger when the gear drops. But this episode forgoes both of those things, arguably to its detriment.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:19 pm Again the civilians are seeing them transform. Is this no longer a secret? Are these guys a cameo?
This is another minor point of frustration for me. The series has been so inconsistent on this point. I don't care which side it lands on, but I'd like Inoue to pick an answer and stick to it.
Tarou's getting better at the compliments
Indeed. Though it doesn't hurt that 1) his companions are getting better, and 2) the writing is setup in such a way that it's giving him opportunities to give the crew compliments that are honest.
I like the ramen guy just putting up with Saruhara's fantasies. I thought he prepared it rather quickly
It amuses me greatly that people so happily put up with Shinichi's mooching. The series has previously established that he does help people (albeit in an unusual way). But even if he's not eating any actual food, it's quite the sign of respect to put up with him acting nuts in the middle of your restaurant.:lol:
Multiple decades in, and I never knew/realized until now that that specific spot on the Toei backlot had a name. :oops:
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:27 am This isn't the first time Haruka's been weirdly happy about being kidnapped. That girl has a problem.
You aren't wrong there.:lol: Though I'm getting slightly worried that Inoue may be projecting here. :shock:
Arigomi wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:51 pm The power of imagination stuff was problematic for me. Shinichi must have an eating disorder if he can confidently say that imaginary ramen can fill him up. It also implies that having no money for a basic necessity like food is not a problem.
Going by everything the series has shown us thus far, Shinichi has the ability to manifest his imagination/delusions into reality. It's as weird as all hell, but it seems to be a genuine power of his. So he's not starving - he is able to materialize his imagination into actual food.

Though it does raise the question of why he hasn't weaponized it, ToQger-style.
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:16 am Haruka getting kidnapped, Sonoza's wild expressions and actions made me laugh real hard.
Sonoza may not be the best Nouto, but his actor is certainly putting in 110%. Whereas the other two play relatively straightforward characters, Sonoza is absolutely manic. And episodes like this show why he's nailing it! :shock:
Last edited by ViRGE on Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Multiple decades in, and I never knew/realized until now that that specific spot on the Toei backlot had a name. :oops:

It's always fun to see recurring elements like location reuses. It probably wouldn't be as noticeble if not for the fact that covid is probably forcing them to use it more often than before. Usually it shows up in one episode of a series and that's it
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Oomori-zaka
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category:Locations
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:27 am This isn't the first time Haruka's been weirdly happy about being kidnapped. That girl has a problem.
You aren't wrong there.:lol: Though I'm getting slightly worried that Inoue is projecting here. :shock:

https://twitter.com/aimant9305/status/1 ... LKtZlrfhSw

Man what timing, Apparently after her stint in Inoue's Zi-O arc, this lady became known as the Manhole Actress. Unfortunate?!
Arigomi wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:51 pm The power of imagination stuff was problematic for me. Shinichi must have an eating disorder if he can confidently say that imaginary ramen can fill him up. It also implies that having no money for a basic necessity like food is not a problem.
His actor looks super skinny too. Hope they're not promoting an unhealthy lifestyle
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:25 am His actor looks super skinny too. Hope they're not promoting an unhealthy lifestyle
I gather that with how little Toei pays their actors, imaginary food might be all they can afford.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:25 am
It's always fun to see recurring elements like location reuses. It probably wouldn't be as noticeble if not for the fact that covid is probably forcing them to use it more often than before. Usually it shows up in one episode of a series and that's it
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Oomori-zaka
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category:Locations
Oomori-zaka is a pretty distinct location. Toei doesn't film fights on a lot of roads - and even less on sloped roads. So I think it would be noticeable regardless.

You're definitely right, however, in that Toei is currently being forced to more frequently reuse things due to a lack of access to some of their other traditional off-site haunts. I feel like we haven't seen too many large bridges so far this series, for example.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Quick recap on what this tells us about Saruhara:
-The money question is answered: he literally doesn’t eat. I know a lot of kids are going to get that this sort of thing is fiction, but Sentai leans pretty young…
-He’s a bit psychic, albeit at touch range. He chooses to use this to psychologically torment two victims with sweltering heat. And the water bottle—was that an illusion too, even after the desert scene?
-By the end, he pretty much encourages his predecessor to become a Hitotsuki (and congratulates him after!).

In a way, Saruhara feels like a deconstruction of sorts—moving away from money and other goods only does any good if it’s done to move toward something else, but the thing Saruhara moves toward is… his own imagination. In effect, he’s traded out selfishness for complete self-centeredness, literally—his mind is the center of his own universe.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”