DonBrothers 22 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:35 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆☆
42%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 22 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.22 of 5 stars (9 votes)

Haruka is pretty okay with this Misery situation

Haruka's idea of refreshing the story is adding like 5 new characters. Is this why Revice has 20 characters that don't add anything to the story? Maybe she really is a plagiarist

Wait, how long has Haruka been kidnapped?! I guess it's not like she has any friends who'd notice

Where did they find Sonoza? Is his actor an actual alien?

I was going to say, "At least pink isn't a student since he's too old" but I just now realized he's the teacher

Shiina Naoki is also left handed?

I get it, surfing and MegaRanger

It seems like the theory that Tarou is the direct cause of the Hitotsuki is gaining traction.

I see we're going to continue with the mystery box nature of Haruka's plagiarism. Not sure what to make of them both being left-handed and making the same bad food. Could this be a closed loop time travel thing where Shiina Naoki is Haruka from the future? Creating this situation so that she would become a DonBrother, and thus the experiences made her a better manga artist, thus leading to her success in the future? Tell me that's not what's oging to happen

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

CM

Post by takenoko »

Thought I'd touch on the commercials before I forget

Slight pun in the Theatre G-Rosso commercial. The usual line from red is "We'll be waiting for you at Theatre G-Rosso" which uses the word matteru for "waiting". But Momotarou instead says matsuri da "it's a festival!"

Didn't do the Dragoku robo since it's a spoiler, damn you Toei. Also why is one of them purple? There's already a ranger who's sporting that color
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBrothers 22 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:35 pm Wait, how long has Haruka been kidnapped?! I guess it's not like she has any friends who'd notice
Her aunt is a police officer, has she not done something about her niece going missing?

22 episodes for our first full team Avatar Change, and it's not even one of the post-Gokaiger ones they advertised originally. Oh, and Kyoryu Gold doing a finisher and then giving up.
Spoiler
Dairanger next week, minus Shishiranger. I wonder if this is a response to fans complaining about the lack of Avatar Changes. And I wonder if they're regretting enforcing the colour rule instead of just doing the Gokaiger thing of matching people up with logical counterparts.
I guess Denjiki is because of the school stuff in Haruka's manga, although it's not really all that related to him specifically. Oh, and I guess the Fiveman change is because they were all teachers. Gokaiger used to pick their changes for reasons like that.

You know, if Haruka doesn't wanna be accused of plagiarism, she probably shouldn't be writing a self-insert Poitrine rip-off.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

(Time to cheese of the Tokusatsu fans) - This episode moved the plot along really well! We meet the real final boss of the series, the Rabbit Mangaka who is able to touch Sonozo's heart with human emotions through their super duper manga powers. Maybe in subsequent episodes Sonozo will get a bishounen makeover? Also, we get the foreshadowing of Haruka and Sononi fighting together.

Other than that, it was kind of confusing, with the side plot elements thrown in haphazardly. Jirou shows up as good again with no explanation and fights Sonoi for no particular reason, they tease Jirou and Momoi being brothers and then rug pull, and the MOTW goes nowhere other than showing that they have no memory of being Hitotsuki.

Is Sonozo going to recognize the other Don Brothers from their manga counterparts?

Does the show "Paper Girls" have to do with the Jyuto?

This time they went all the way with the Ouran High School Host Club gag of having characters slip on banana peals.

Will Haruka finally get the jump on Momoi by dressing up as a festival girl?

Why does Sonoza connect Haruka with the manga if it doesn't have her name on it?
Last edited by resop2 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Her aunt is a police officer, has she not done something about her niece going missing?

Wait, I thought she was a mystery writer? They really need to have an episode with the aunt

>I guess Denjiki is because of the school stuff in Haruka's manga, although it's not really all that related to him specifically. Oh, and I guess the Fiveman change is because they were all teachers.

Oh nice. I wrote a few more down on the wiki. Quite a few references

>You know, if Haruka doesn't wanna be accused of plagiarism, she probably shouldn't be writing a self-insert Poitrine rip-off.

She literally just copies everything she sees in t his episode. Maybe she is a plagiarist?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

resop2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:34 pm Other than that, it was kind of confusing, with the side plot elements thrown in haphazardly. Jirou shows up as good again with no explanation and fights Sonoi for no particular reason, they tease Jirou and Momoi being brothers and then rug pull, and the MOTW goes nowhere other than showing that they have no memory of being Hitotsuki.
You're not wrong, unfortunately.

Clearly this is meant to be a lightweight episode. But it's pretty much parodies and nostalgia fuel; there's little in the way of calories to the plot. If anything, it's kicking the can down the road on the things that matter (Jirou going nuts) and wasting time answering a question that doesn't seem to need to be answered (who Haruka's plagiarist is). The series has pretty solidly established that all of this is due to the curse that comes with being a DonBro, so it's hard to get too invested into the whole plagiarism thing since it's all magic in the end.

Meanwhile, Haruka is still kidnapped... and she's enjoying it. Though I do find it amusing that she technically never escaped being a hostage - after she undoes her transformation, she goes right back!:lol:

And they finally broke out the InuBrother puppet again. I was wondering when we were going to see that; it's far too detailed to be a one-off sight gag in a single episode.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:35 pm Wait, how long has Haruka been kidnapped?! I guess it's not like she has any friends who'd notice
It sounds like it's been a week?
Where did they find Sonoza? Is his actor an actual alien?
Wherever they found him, they were looking in the right spot. He gave 110% in the last episode, and gave another 110% in this one!
It's surprising how much they leaned into Megaranger on this one. Normally the connections to the MOTW are far weaker (such as OhRanger). Whereas this episode practically rubs your nose in it. It's nice not to have to guess what series this is related to, for once. Though it may be a bit of an overcorrection.
Could this be a closed loop time travel thing where Shiina Naoki is Haruka from the future?
I don't know about time travel. But thus far it could certainly be argued that we're looking at a magical mirror match.
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>And they finally broke out the IzuBrother puppet again. I was wondering when we were going to see that; it's far too detailed to be a one-off sight gag in a single episode.

Izu's brother What's?!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:06 am >And they finally broke out the IzuBrother puppet again. I was wondering when we were going to see that; it's far too detailed to be a one-off sight gag in a single episode.

Izu's brother What's?!
There's a statue thing they have of Inu Brother for times when CGI isn't practical. It's used again in the next time preview.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:45 am
It's surprising how much they leaned into Megaranger on this one. Normally the connections to the MOTW are far weaker (such as OhRanger). Whereas this episode practically rubs your nose in it. It's nice not to have to guess what series this is related to, for one. Though it may be a bit of an overcorrection.
It was probably due to MegaRanger being an older series. It's easy to forget that we now have an entire generation of young adults that were born at the start of the 21st century.

Haruka was initially kidnapped, but it looks like she could come and go as she pleases. She was probably still going to school and going home at night. To make time for drawing manga for Sonoza, Haruka didn't go to her job at the cafe.

I'm surprised that Jirou didn't go berserk when they excluded him. He's been trying very hard to win their approval. When Sonoi showed up, he saw that as an opportunity to prove himself as a useful member of the team.

It's weird how people will invite Taro into their homes because he offered to help. All they know about him is that he delivers packages. Aren't they worried about home invasion?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Arigomi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:50 am It was probably due to MegaRanger being an older series. It's easy to forget that we now have an entire generation of young adults that were born at the start of the 21st century.
Wanna feel old? Haruka's actress is younger than 3 of the child ToQgers. And she's only older than the other 2 by a few months.

In fact, just to make us all feel old, some toku child actors and their current ages:

Homare Mabuchi (Young ToQ 1gou) is 17,Keishiro Nagase (Young ToQ 2gou) is 18, Kaoruko Ishii (Young ToQ 3gou) is 17, Hikaru Yamazaki (Young ToQ 4gou/Young Lupin Blue) is 18, Rara Shimizu (Young ToQ 5gou) is 20. Sora Tamaki (Oto in Ryusoulger) is 16 today. Shota Taguchi (Koguma Sky Blue) is 18. Hikari Kajiwara (Amane in Kamen Rider Blade) is 29. Tamaki Matsumoto (Young Hana in Den-O) is 23. Yoji Matsuda (Masahiko in Amazon) is 54. Sakuya Nakamura (Nozomu in Goseiger) is 24. Sakina Kuwae (Natsume in Gekiranger) is 30. May Banno (Mai in Abaranger) is 25.
Seen:
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:34 am
takenoko wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:06 am >And they finally broke out the IzuBrother puppet again. I was wondering when we were going to see that; it's far too detailed to be a one-off sight gag in a single episode.

Izu's brother What's?!
There's a statue thing they have of Inu Brother for times when CGI isn't practical. It's used again in the next time preview.
I believe they have both a statue and a puppet. The puppet has a movable head and arms, which we see used in this episode.

And yeah, it sounds like we're going to see a whole lot more of both in the next episode, since it's a Black focus episode.
HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:50 am Wanna feel old? Haruka's actress is younger than 3 of the child ToQgers. And she's only older than the other 2 by a few months.
No. I don't want to feel old. But you've made me feel old anyhow. Thanks, jerk! :lol:
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Haruka was initially kidnapped, but it looks like she could come and go as she pleases. She was probably still going to school and going home at night. To make time for drawing manga for Sonoza, Haruka didn't go to her job at the cafe.

Oh, that kind of makes a lot of sense. But based on what she said at the beginning, it does literally look like she's just been drawing manga with Sonoza non-stop for days

>It's weird how people will invite Taro into their homes because he offered to help. All they know about him is that he delivers packages. Aren't they worried about home invasion?

Rich people are eccentric. "You're a weirdo, that amuses me! I like the cut of your jib"

Wow, Sakina Kuwae is 30 now? I liked seeing some of the child Toqgers in one of those recent Sentai movies
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Another crazy episode. A lot of scenes left me speechless. They touched on the plot a little bit. Not nearly enough, though. Seems like Shiina Naoki will be important in the future, at least according to the Toei site. I guess Shiina Naoki is Haruka's future self.

Man, Tarou with glasses- LMAO

Haruka looked great in a ponytail. I wish we got too see her with more hairstyles other than her usual. But I wonder how many more school uniforms Haruka will get to wear during the run of Donbrothers. This episode makes it her third one, including her movie uniform and her own school uniform.

Tarou's shoe and Haruka's face are of the same length... 😦

I LOVE transfer student Sonoi... Dang...

I'm guessing Haruka went home at some point between drawing her manga. Otherwise, won't her aunt be worried?

Will the bathroom thing be a running gag for Tsubasa the rest of the series?

Jirou reverted to his normal self on his own? How does that switch even work?

Why are all the guys falling for Haruka? That's so stupid...

Been a while since we last saw Tarou form a link through one of his deliveries... And create a monster as a result... 😑😶 But wow, he just offers help and gets to eat steak? Lucky... This has to be a first, even for him.

Tarou is the monster...? Lol. I like this idea of Haruka's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Haruka's monster hunter suit looks like the live action sailor moon outfit to me...

Wow... 😮😦😧😱 They just HAD to put Haruka in a shrine maiden outfit, huh?! 😑😐😶

I kinda wish we could see Sonoza dress up as manga world Sonoda and get slapped by Haruka... Such a missed opportunity...

Ok, so Haruka just puts in a pretty girl and her story is good enough all of a sudden... I don't get it...

The last scene with Haruka doing the exact same thing that was drawn in the manga reinforces the theory that the Donbrothers series is Haruka's manga.

And I have to say this, they made most of the male cast members say "Suki Da" to Haruka one way or other in this episode. That was so interesting. Only Shin'ichi and Jirou weren't in Haruka's manga and didn't get to say "Suki Da" to Haruka. I understand, though. Shin'ichi is a boring character and Haruka doesn't like Jirou. I'm ok with these 2 being left out. But 5 out of 7 male cast members is still pretty amazing. Lol.

Also, props to Tsubasa's actor for the voice work in this episode and the preview for next episode. It's unbelievable to think he can get his voice to be that high.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but Haruka's monster hunter suit looks like the live action sailor moon outfit to me...

That bit is a reference to Toei's old toku show Poitrine. Even the metamorphose

>Ok, so Haruka just puts in a pretty girl and her story is good enough all of a sudden... I don't get it...

This might be because Haruka and Sononi's actresses like making tiktok dance stuff together
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

honestly during the high school manga stuff i didnt recognize most of the staff. i saw Inu first, as he was changed least but then i began realizing slowly who was who!

and if were going to call out her aunt being a cop, why isnt said aunt investigating her niece being called a plagiarist? its just like it happened to her and she just took it to the face, and did nothing about it to clear her name nor did her family.

TWIST! the bunny suit guy ... is her mom! hence why they do similar things!

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”