Interview with Inoue Toshiki (DonBrothers' head writer)

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Interview with Inoue Toshiki (DonBrothers' head writer)

Post by Yaiba »

On April 3rd, Murakami Kohei (Kamen Rider Kaixa) did a TwitCasting stream with Inoue Toshiki. They talked a bit about DonBrothers during the stream. (Murakami's blog)

Twitter user @actorssen made a summary of the conversion (Twitter Link). It's kind of interesting to have a glimpse of the creative process of a writer who the fanbase simultaneously love and hate.

ImageImage

My attempted translation:

DonBrothers is very interesting!
- That's surprising! Who do you think is the writer?

The first episode was so fast paced I don't really get what was happening, but it was very interesting!
- It was interesting because you don't know what's going on. It became less interesing when you understand everything.
- Instead of explaining things in the first episode, show the characters. Characters are important in a Sentai.

In episode 4, why did Momoi Tarou just disappeared after saving the onigiri shop?
- "A hero helping someone in need without asking for a reward" is an Inoue's ism. 
- It was intentional to show Momoi Tarou's loneliness.

About Momoi Tarou's job...
- A delivery person is the best job for going around and meeting other people.
- A character like Momoi Tarou having a bossy role like a president doesn't feel right.

Why does Don Momotarou debut on a palanquin?
- Because he's a god.
- To answer your question, it's because inserting a strong impression that is allowed is important. Writing down "He's debuting on a palanquin" is something everyone can accept. It's like asking "Why do celestial maidens dance? Why does Don Momotarou debuts on a palanquin?"
- There were plans for the other four to have a different personality after they transformed, but it became too confusing to tell who's who so the idea was dropped.
- Viewing the battles as festivals is a kind of "life affirmation" for Don Momotarou.
- The reason Don Momotarou attacked his companions will be explained later.

Situation drama
- Situation dramas don't usually mix well with a Sentai like DonBrothers. It's like water and oil.
- Even though it is a Sentai show, I want to make DonBrothers a "home drama".
- It'll be a lot of work so I don't want to write the whole show, but Producer Shirakura gave his "OK" to have the whole show as a situation drama.

Toshiki's "evil".
- I don't like "evil" really. Evil has it's own kind of sorrow.

The setting of "Evil is born from human's desire"
- In principle, both Nouto and DonBrothers reject the humans who have excessive desires.
- The only difference is that the DonBrothers return them to human form, but the Nouto exiles them.
- They're not interested in justice.

Saraharu's haiku
- I regret a little because it was a pain to write every time.
- But I took it seriously. (I'm happy that my teacher Ozawa Minoru praised them as well)
- I played with the idea of "antique mania", but I don't want to lend my personal collection for the filming.

Character naming
- I usually associate an image of "anything is fine" with characters that don't have a dead on fitting name.
- When I took a taxi I will note down the driver's name.
- In the case of DonBrothers, since it is a comedy I started from a simple motif.
- The Nouto were called "tnumber one" (So no i), "number two" (So no ni), "number three" (So no za)" and just work from there, I'm surprised no one said before.

Were there any restrictions to script writing before CG technology existed?
- (Restrictions to creative contents are very strict) There are a lot more restrictions nowadays.
- Saruhara's "imaginary sake" was a great invention to circumvent the restrictions.

How did Producer Shirakura ask you to be the writer of DonBrothers?
- Shirakura P: "Will you be the writer for next year's Sentai?"
- Inoue: "Yeah, sure."
- Shirakura P: "Thank you very much." Just like that.

Did your lifestyle change after starting to write DonBrothers?
- Although I drink and smoke, I take care of my health.

What do you do when you have writer block?
- I don't really have writer block (I'm famous for writing fast)
- Even when I need to do somthing else during writing, I'm always thinking about the story (taking notes daily is important)
- When I need to work on several stories, I'll finish one first before starting on another.

What does an "attrective person" means to you?
- People are attrective when they have many "shortcomings" (People who has shortcomings are interesting)
- People who are unpretentious and honest.
- People who I find appealing regardless of gender.

What must you have around when you are writing?
- Cigarettes
- I can't have midnight snacks since I'm on diet, so I just bite on my fist when I'm hungry. (?)
- Salt or olive oil to rub on (??). Salt is a better choice (???).
- I fall asleep even when I drink Min Min Daha (A kind of energy drink for staying awake https://minmin.tv/product/)
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Interview with Inoue Toshiki (DonBrothers' head writer)

Post by takenoko »

The first episode was so fast paced I don't really get what was happening, but it was very interesting!
- It was interesting because you don't know what's going on. It became less interesing when you understand everything.

A mystery box can be kind of annoying in the modern age of story telling. In the hands of some lazier writers, it's like writing cheques with nothing in the bank. Keep filling the story with mysteries, but by the end of the story, you better have some good answers or people are going to be mad

The setting of "Evil is born from human's desire"
- In principle, both Nouto and DonBrothers reject the humans who have excessive desires.
- The only difference is that the DonBrothers return them to human form, but the Nouto exiles them.

Interesting that Inoue is already saying the Nouto exile them instead of killing them

Saraharu's haiku
- I regret a little because it was a pain to write every time.

Yes!

- I played with the idea of "antique mania", but I don't want to lend my personal collection for the filming.

Hmmm, might have been fun to see what kind of antiques inoue has

Did your lifestyle change after starting to write DonBrothers?
- Although I drink and smoke, I take care of my health.

??? how?

What does an "attrective person" means to you?
- People are attrective when they have many "shortcomings" (People who has shortcomings are interesting)
- People who are unpretentious and honest.
- People who I find appealing regardless of gender.

That's pretty mature for Inoue

What must you have around when you are writing?
- Cigarettes
- I can't have midnight snacks since I'm on diet, so I just bite on my fist when I'm hungry. (?)
- Salt or olive oil to rub on (??). Salt is a better choice (???).

I think he's talking about how he'd eat his fist for the second line

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”