My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 02 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.31 of 5 stars (19 votes)

Looks like Ace won the squid games

Cool visuals for the opening. Oh no, is the woman navigator untrustworthy?

Speaking of which, how quickly are we going to squid game these early Rider mooks?

You have to make the wish at the beginning??

Oh, I'm starting to see how the thorn motif is used

I like these boxes falling out of these monsters that were obviously not there before

lol at Keiwa's obviously printed wish. Oh, Keiwa like Heiwa

Oh yes, please explain the butler

Oh, they got rid of those Riders pretty fast

LOL at Tsumuri doing the Henshin pose

What a surprise that Tycoon is a tanuki. But how would you tell from that design?

Buffa is way too OP lol

The old exploding axe trick

Wait it's Mary? Like Mary had a little lamb? Why is Nago separated by a dash?

Geats may be the title character, but is Keiwa the actual protagonist? It's sort of like Kabuto if you were following Kagami from the beginning

Damn Keiwa, you had an op item and you just let your interview man die?

Damn that cheap looking water prop though lol

That's a cool looking finisher though

Heh, that one guy sure is evil looking

Oh hey, so Geats isn't all bad

Sorry I haven't checked out episode 1's thread yet. I think Geats is pretty fun so far still. It's stylish and I appreciate the simpler plot. None of the characters are doing anything annoying yet. No one is really standing out to me that much so far. Keiwa seems like a generic meaning-well Kamen Rider. Ace is a bit of a cocky Kabuto-type with a secret heart of gold? I hope they build something good off of this. I hope they don't do anything embarrassing with Nago. I guess Buffa and Dapan are the two asshole riders?

Has there been speculation about what's actually going on? This whole setup is way too gamelike to me to be anything but VR. But if that's the case, to what end is this for? Will it be like Sh15uya or will it be like Garo VR?

Edit:
GDI I just realized Ukiyo is Japanese for "transient world". It's from Buddhist thought that all things in this world are fleeting, I believe
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Geats 02 discussion thread

Post by TypicalStandUser »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 pm Looks like Ace won the squid games
Apparently, Takahashi's inspirations for this show's story is from that Netflix show & popular gambling manga Kaiji. I'm planning to binge Squid Game ASAP.
Cool visuals for the opening. Oh no, is the woman navigator untrustworthy?
When I saw that Kokoro Aoshima was cast as Tsumuri, I immediately remembered Alice from ZERO: Dragon Blood. Then everything came back to me when Tsumuri smiled in the OP.
Heh, that one guy sure is evil looking
It appears that this mystery guy's mask is ripped off from Karl Kronen's mask from Hellboy, particularly the live-action version.

I liked this episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Okay, two things. Firstly, well done to them for naming all those Riders. Secondly, who's playing them? I'll be really surprised if there aren't some interesting cameos in there.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Draccy »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:29 am Okay, two things. Firstly, well done to them for naming all those Riders. Secondly, who's playing them? I'll be really surprised if there aren't some interesting cameos in there.
Well first episode had Kyoryu Blue as that first Panda Kamen Rider, which is now Kamen Rider Da·paan.
Think that may have been it, not sure about the many others.

So riders don't get a return like regular civilians, that's going to be challenged later on, right?
Seems very drastic to just "Ah, emergency, boss appeared. All these people without special armaments are eliminated".
Feels SSSS, which I don't think those individuals returned? I forgot.
Last edited by Draccy on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

3/5 for me because I don't really like that riders are going to get a random form at every episode and its going to be a switching festival.

The idea of boost being a one time only and going away every single episode is not good either imo.

The strange thing here is that Geats won the last game and got his desire but the game still going? maybe there is a way to completely finish this cycle and that is going to be Geats main goal in the series.
Final Vent!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

>Well first episode had Kyoryu Blue as that first Panda Kamen Rider, which is now Kamen Rider Da·paan.
Think that may have been it, not sure about the many others.

Shirowe I think was a polar bear? I see shiro and think shirokuma

>The idea of boost being a one time only and going away every single episode is not good either imo

I don't know how I feel about it. It's certainly novel for half of the main RIder's default form to swap around like the Faiz belt
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Fuck man I love the OP. I could probably listen to it on repeat for like an hour.

The Jamato are clearly using some sort of cypher like in Kuuga but it doesn't seem like anyone's been able to work it out yet. (not enough known phrases to break it down) It's mostly your typical villain dialogue so far "You'll regret this", "ow ow that hurts", "shoot them!" etc.

Anyone else thinking the DGP is probably gonna end up being a genie bottle? Like, you get all the money and fame but your dick shrinks 3 sizes or something.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:21 am Anyone else thinking the DGP is probably gonna end up being a genie bottle? Like, you get all the money and fame but your dick shrinks 3 sizes or something.
A monkey paw?
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

I'm actually surprised no one has brought up the similarities between Geats and Gantz. The whole killing aliens/monsters to earn points in a deadly survival game is far more Gantz than Squid Game.

Regardless, another great episode of Geats! But not as good as the first, I don't think. Story-wise, it's definitely more unique and refreshing than anything that's come before in the Reiwa era. However, there are some questions that have been raised in this episode that I'd love to see answered.

The pacing in this episode seemed a little bit rushed. Everyone seemed rather okay with the whole DGP thing right off the bat, and I was expecting a little more resistance and confusion like we usually see with other Death Game series.

On that note, how are people chosen to become Kamen Riders? Were they chosen randomly or did they already have a wish they wanted to be granted? I would like to think the latter, as it would make sense as to why they weren't more reluctant to participate... How does Ace keep coming back after winning, and why would the DGP keep letting him in?

However, something I do really like is how they're doing the powers and upgrades this season. By making them a part of the game, they're actually giving the audience a dietetic reason for them to be random. Though, it's still kinda funny how some armors fit the headpieces much better than others.
The action in this episode was top-notch though. Very great strategies employed by the various riders and I absolutely loved the Boost/Water stuff.

The thing is, how do the Armed Weapons work when they're assigned to the lower-body slot? Do the Riders still have access to the weapons or do they just gain a vague power like the ability to control water? What happens with Shield, Hammer, etc...?

One last little nitpick I have is with regard to the green screen effect. It was a little bit too obvious, and there was a really obvious green outline around some actors, especially those in the background of the DGP stage. Whatever the case, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing if they'll be able to keep the serialized up.
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Actar wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:44 am One last little nitpick I have is with regard to the green screen effect. It was a little bit too obvious, and there was a really obvious green outline around some actors, especially those in the background of the DGP stage.
Yeah you should probably give that up.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was an interesting episode, though surprisingly light on the plot given that we're already in to episode 2. It's really only some basic setup, and then we're on to fighting. Which, unlike last week is far more physical (in the non-CGI sense) and certainly very well done.

It's a shame that Geats is an ass, though.

And of course there's a place to have coffee. It wouldn't be Kamen Rider without a coffee spot. :lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 pm You have to make the wish at the beginning??
I found that to be interesting. I imagine Toei is going to milk it for the drama of secret wishes. But it also means that, for better or worse, everyone is locked in to what they're fighting for early on.
Wait it's Mary? Like Mary had a little lamb? Why is Nago separated by a dash?
Oh, is that what that is?! I had been scratching my head the entire time trying to figure out what a pink 'fro has to do with horns! That's certainly different. :lol:
Kurow wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:29 pm 3/5 for me because I don't really like that riders are going to get a random form at every episode and its going to be a switching festival.
Agreed. I can easily understand why Toei would want mix-n-match riders. And the costuming department did a good job coming up with suits that support the concept. But there's something to be said about a single, well-designed form. Geats design is a bit too simple, and the rest of the riders are practically naked.
The strange thing here is that Geats won the last game and got his desire but the game still going? maybe there is a way to completely finish this cycle and that is going to be Geats main goal in the series.
Maybe you need to wish for a world without the bad guys? A selfless wish, in other words?
Lunagel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:21 am Anyone else thinking the DGP is probably gonna end up being a genie bottle? Like, you get all the money and fame but your dick shrinks 3 sizes or something.
Eh, I don't know. I can't imagine Ace would keep doing this and getting relatively frivolous wishes like being famous if it came with some kind of major downside. Especially if it was a downside like that. :shock:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So the last cycle lasted half a year, how many cycles do you think this story will go through?

I asked Luna about it, and apparently in Japan it's Merry had a little lamb?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Okay so I did a little research (like 5 minutes of googling) and while the standard translation for メリー is "Merry" (used in FGO and FFXIV just to name two), "Mary had a little lamb" is written メリーさんの羊 (Mary-san's sheep), using the exact same katakana. HOWEVER, the normal katakana for the name Mary is メアリー or メアリ.

I can only assume that at some point, wires got crossed and someone in Japan was like "hey, let's call this sheep design/character after that one song" and some translator was like "Well that's fucking stupid I'm just going to use "merry" instead of the name "Mary" cause that's hella confusing."
RobertPal
Go Go!

Post by RobertPal »

Can we skip the sponsor spots for Geats? it's blank, and nothing is even written on it, I highly thinks it's unnecessary.
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

OK 2nd ep and still feel early to say anything much about it. So far it's interesting that the story is mostly from the supporting characters view. Also it seems the only thing that stays the same is the riders motif from each new game after a reset. Although who ever organize this game seems to have a weird priorities, since they have the tech to build drivers, why not start a group to fight the aliens why start a death game with civilians? Guess we might find out as the series goes on.

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”