My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 03 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.06 of 5 stars (15 votes)

So how closely is Tsumuri watching the Riders. She can't be always watching can she? I honestly think she's an AI like Shuka from Garo VR

Huh, is Neon's mom Ozawa from Agito?

Watching the opening again. Wait at 2:54, did they blank out the old man? I see a card that says Get Out and Geats running. More evidence that this is some VR trap?

Didn't they say there were only seven qualifying members in the first round? I see eight pieces on that game board in the eye catch

Oh weird, they're actually following up on Taira's story

Where are you getting those angles from Neon?

Oh that surly guy is in high school. That makes a lot of sense lol

Neon must not run very fast if Geats caught up

So if you don't get enough points you're forced to retire. Speaking of round 1, did everyone who failed to get their item get killed/forced back to being a normal person/something else?

Hmm, can you not transform if you don't have even one buckle piece? I guess that's why people who didn't get an item were immediately dropped

What's with the weird screens while they transform? It's weird and annoying

The hud is pretty cool

Nago running around in a circle with the zombies made me laugh

It's wild that they all wear the uniforms like contestants

Oh it's so weird to hearing Haruka's sister on this show since they sound alike

The chunjks flying off the zombies in this episode are pretty fun

Ooh a tracking shot?

Two people bitten already? Thought the kid was going to die, but I guess you don't turn right away. Would have been amazing if another player was eliminated already

Three for three so far! Let's keep this pace up

Edit: You know, I feel like they can't keep the item swap going. At some point, surely these guys are all going to get like a base form or something that doesn't make them look like naked furries

Who is Ukiyo talking to at the beginning?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Ukiyo's personality

Post by takenoko »

I see a lot of people write off Ukiyo as a classic Tendo jerk, but there's clearly more going on with the dude? Like the main thing I notice about him is the guy's damn observant. Last week he saw that Keiwa was having trouble. This week he saw Nago needed his help. And he turns those observations into an advantage for himself. It's too early to say if he's doing these things to ultimately help himself, but for the time being, he seems like his actions are helping the other riders

It's kind of refreshing to see a heroic character that solves his problems not through hot-headed bullishness or the power of friendship, but just through being clever. Pretty fitting for a guy whose animal is a trickster fox character

Edit: When Neon is talking about her dream of a prince on a horse, what is Ukiyo doing in the background? They even put in a sound effect of him lowering his item, but why?
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: KR Geats 03 discussion thread

Post by Aeikozz »

Lmao.. the only thing i didn't really like was the pissed off kid bring a driver to school like that.

other than that i enjoyed the episode, nothing special.
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

Very interesting episode. We got the backstory behind several of the characters and some additional insight into their true natures and motivations. Really like how Tycoon seems to be more focused on gaining points through rescuing people over fighting and got appropriately rewarded for it. Neon looks to have wished for freedom as opposed to true love like she said, and I like how they lampshaded Kanato not just wishing to be able to play basketball again as opposed to killing everyone. Lol.

Kind of weird how there are these weird variations of Jyamato with different abilities that just so happen to thematically fit into different genres of games. The obvious twist is that the entire thing's being set up by the DGP, perhaps to fulfill a higher nefarious purpose, but we'll see.

Something I did feel was a little weird was how Da Paan/Na-Go was considered a zombie but still allowed to play, as opposed to being disqualified. And they aren't considered players when they're attacked? Hm... We did at least get to see the UI from the Riders' perspective and how each armor has a durability meter that can be worn down.

Action-wise, it was good, though the CGI was a little bit iffy and goofy at times, especially when Geats used the Revolve On to dodge the shot. However, I did feel that the pacing and editing were a little bit messy this episode. They're really trying to cram in a ton of stuff, and it looks like another Rider (or two?) will be biting the dust in the next episode. At this rate, I definitely think we'll be seeing multiple cycles of the DGP, like some have already stated.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:48 pmYou know, I feel like they can't keep the item swap going. At some point, surely these guys are all going to get like a base form or something that doesn't make them look like naked furries
I actually really like how the Buckles seem to be constantly swapping hands like the Faiz belts and changing the power dynamic on the fly.
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Wow, I guess we're doing the "female Rider always dies" thing early this year. I do like the "anyone can die" approach this show has though.

I like the item swapping, and actually it possibly helps to sell the "anyone can die" aspect. I'm not following the Geats toyline at all, but I know in 2002 it was possible to work out which Riders would be sticking around by the toy schedule. The only ones whose Visors got released were Ryuki, Knight, Zolda, Ouja and Tiger, so it was a safe bet anyone else wasn't gonna be around for long. Here the only things specific to the Riders are their ID cores.

Geats obviously won't die, and Buffa's being marketed as the 2nd Rider so I guess he's in it for the long run, but anyone else is fair game, one would assume. Though I'll be very surprised if Tycoon and Nago go any time soon, despite Neon's infection.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I like the item swapping, and actually it possibly helps to sell the "anyone can die" aspect.

It's cool right now, but it's creating weird artificial scenarios. After Geats takes Buffa's buckle, he gives him the water buckle. If he didn't do that, Buffa wouldn't have been able to transform. Maybe Ace is just a nice guy, but if Ace had lost, Buffa was trying to take all of his buckles so he couldn't transform (which probably would be a death sentence in a death game like this)

>Geats obviously won't die, and Buffa's being marketed as the 2nd Rider so I guess he's in it for the long run, but anyone else is fair game, one would assume. Though I'll be very surprised if Tycoon and Nago go any time soon, despite Neon's infection.

I really hope that they don't give Neon a dark turn later on. The kid is a total incel shithead, but he is right in that Neon does seem overreliant on using other people and spending to get her way. Hopefully she'll have more depth to her character

Keon on the other hand, it's good that we have a character that sees the good in the world, but I'm worried he'll heroicly sacrifice himself at some point
RobertPal
Go Go!

Post by RobertPal »

Tom Constantine is a great actor!
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

A multiplayer game that is free-to-play, have a lobby to chill, earn currency by participation, obtain items by completing tasks, microtransactions with crappy costumes/skins for purchasing. Such a realistic representation of a free-to-play game.

The world currently feels something like the Matrix, with things can be delete and reset in a flash. Maybe people who sense something is not right are selected to be Riders to appease or eliminate them.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

What is this weird look? And why is Ace always going after Neon. Did they have a relationship in a past game that got wiped when her memory was lost?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Here's a possible idea for next episode (which probably won't happen):

Neon dies from being a zombie. Ace decides that winning the game wouldn't be fun without her so he gets disqualified by killing everyone else in the game except for Keiwa. Ace tells Keiwa that Ace is sparing him because his wish was to bring all the other riders back from being killed, and he will spare him on the condition that he plays again. The reset button is hit and all of the previous riders are revived. However, none of the cannon fodder riders want to play again so they get a fresh crop of newbies. The show rinses and repeats this several times during the season, each time causing the start of a new game. As the season progresses the non-cannon fodder riders other than Ace learn from their mistakes and each subsequent game get better so Ace is no longer walking around with the "I win" card. Ace is happy with this since he will no longer be bored by the game.
MaxHazard
Infinity

Post by MaxHazard »

they can get item as a weapon to attack/defeat enemy
they should have/able to get item for heal... right?

like ex-aid they have a heal coin floating after they break the square brick

So we now know there won't be a rider fight since points will be deducted during "friendly attack"
Twilights_Bard

Post by Twilights_Bard »

I had a thought while watching this that I think is odd, a bit of speculation. But unless they extend every round to like, 5+ parts, they're going to run out of Riders really quickly. I just double checked but we are now at 6 Riders left, soooo, are we going to end up seeing multiple iterations of the DGP? You'd have to bring in SOME fresh blood, unless there are multiple 'groups' that get shuffled together as time goes on (Like how MMO servers that are low population get merged together).

Kinda disappointed that the zombie bite wasn't telegraphed better (Maybe in hindsight, but on a quick rewatch...it's hard to tell), but I also realized something, the losing points for attacking other players can be easily exploited. Low on points? Just fight the higher players, THEN play the objective. Either you get them to lose plenty of points fighting back, or you take them out and can farm some points with the objectives. Or simply provoke them if you have say, a shield to tank the damage for you (Or get two players to fight each other instead). I thought that was kind of odd.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean they do this every time. Whatever is going on now will probably get wrapped up around ep 12-14 and then the rest of the series will begin (for good or for worse)

I just like the details that they're setting up. We know that there's at least two Grand Prix before the current one. We see the one where Geats wins in episode 1. But we also see that he knew about Tsumuri prior to receiving his Desire Driver, so he must have won the previous one too. How far back does it go???
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The mother seems to have enough sticks up her butt to pitch one of those fancy geodesic tents used for glamping.

Morio (KR Mary) is shaping up to be a fun character.

Were there any interesting items on the list of how the zombie survival game was scored?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, good question, look slike you can see the full list:
I'm surprised more people didn't see the rescue option, since it gives you triple the points without having to risk fighting a monster

Kill +1000
Rescue +3000
Headshot +200
Back shot +200
2 Kill Combo +500
3 Kill Combo +700
Assist in a kill +100
Combination Finisher +1000
First Kill +200
One shot kill +500
Long shot kill +300
Killed point-blank +400
No damage kill +400
Revolve Change +100
No weapon kill +200
Overkill -800 (過剰討伐)
Step out of bounds -1500
Attack another player -2000
Take damage -1000

I'm not sure if I translated overkill right, since I don't see why that would cause you to lose points. Also interesting that attacking another player has the highest point penalty in the game

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”