DonBrothers 29 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆☆
30%
☆☆☆
20%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 29 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.13 of 5 stars (8 votes)

Who are these weirdos? Is this the senate?

This sure looks like the inside of Reboot

It is the Senate. A seenate of two people??? Also the card is made of metal?

Ah Sonoza

So that bus guide is a recurring character? Still don't understand why Murasame protects Anouni. Don't Nouto fight theA nouni too?

Wait, why does Murasame feel sad?

Oh, rip bus guide. Maybe the Jyuto can't be saved

Not sure I understand what's going on with Tarou this episode. Eat that cotton candy Tarou

This is the Abare Hitotsuki? But why?

Okay, guess some stuff is happening with Tsubasa?

Oh right this is a funeral right? Guess I'm glad it's not just a funeral episode

Why are these assholes eating the sandwich? I guess it's kinda funny because it's so weird?

I guess it says something about the sword if only Tarou and Sonoza can use it. God I love Sonoza though

Oh, helmet juice. Like at the beginning of the game Blasphemous

I don't know how to feel about this episode since it was all over the place. You got the funeral stuff, the Murasame stuff, the Jyuto stuff, and the monster of the week stuff, and sometimes they overlapped butt most of the time didn't until the very end. While I enjoyed the spectacle, a more cohesive work probably would have been more impressive

But at least Sonoi isn't dead, probably
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Kagome Kagome

Post by takenoko »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kagome_Kagome

Had to look this up. Apparently it's a children's game. The song is roughly about a bird/person in prison and the game is to guess the name of the person behind them. Maybe Luna can expand on this?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: DonBrothers 29 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

No, that's essentially it. It's just a simple children's game, although it has been around since at least the Edo period so probably 300-400 years if not longer. A bit like Ring Around the Rosies, really.

It's been used in various media, particularly horror because nothing says horror like having someone pop up behind you that wasn't there when you started
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I'd just like to congratulate Toei on their timing. First we had a ghost-themed episode featuring a guy named Shinzo on the week Shinzo Abe died, and now we have a funeral episode the day before Elizabeth II's funeral.

It's really weird they didn't do this last week. That's all I have to say, really. I agree too much stuff was in this episode at once.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

DonBrothers comics

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Compared to last week's episode, this one certainly had a lot more heft/important moments to it. But as everyone else has already picked up on, it suffers from the same general problem as most of the other episodes that focus on the overarching plot: there are too many things going on at once. I'm not going to repeat myself here since I've already delved into the subject in more detail in past weeks, but moving a dozen different plot threads ever so slightly forward in one go is not fulfilling to watch. The show never seems to make much progress because none of the major plot threads gets adequate focus in a single episode, and all the while nothing is getting explained.

In this case, Tarou lost his powers! Only to get them back 60 seconds later! And I don't even feel like unpacking the mess that is Murasame. I still don't get why that character is even here, since we know Toei/Bandai isn't doing toys of it.

Meanwhile, the mecha fight implies that this episode is airing in the right order. I say "implies" because it uses the new cluster formation. However, all of the footage of the new formation is recycled, so it doesn't rule out the possibility of Toei discarding other footage and using this instead for continuity/promotional reasons. Complicating matters, given what Toei has done in the past with these CGI-only clusters, we knew that Toei was likely going to recycle the footage anyhow. So it's annoyingly non-conclusive.

And I guess this makes this the second funeral I watched today? The first one was more interesting, and that's saying something since it wasn't meant to be entertaining.

On the plus side, we had some fun untransformed fights. There was nothing extravagant here, but the actors did a good job of it.:)

Finally, I suspect this was indeed our Haruka-light episode to account for being out with COVID. She's only in the short scene at the cafe, and since that's a standing set, that could have easily been picked up later on once she was back.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:02 pm This sure looks like the inside of Reboot
You aren't kidding. When the series first started, I thought it was supposed to be a cyberspace aesthetic. But now we're seeing actual capacitors and the like. And in last week's fight, I noticed there was even a computer chip labeled "Tokusatsu 0920-3239". I'm at a complete loss for how this relates to the series at this point.
It is the Senate. A seenate of two people???
The scene didn't need nor call for meeting with 100+ people. But I agree that it looks silly since we aren't given anything to explain why only two members of the senate are there.
This is the Abare Hitotsuki? But why?
Rampaging? Though that kind of describes most of the MOTWs. This is up there with the Ongiri in taking creative liberties. Turboranger would have made a lot more sense, I reckon.
Why are these assholes eating the sandwich? I guess it's kinda funny because it's so weird?
It was definitely worth an unexpected laugh. It's such a petty thing for Tarou to complain about - and totally in character for him - and then the senators go along with the insane request for no good reason. :lol:
But at least Sonoi isn't dead, probably
Hopefully.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Good episode. A lot of funny as well as serious moments. Gotta love Sonoza's antics. I think I'm kinda glad that Sonoi's gone for a while. We can now see the other 2 flourish properly. And it's already going great. Loved seeing Sononi take leadership.

Also, that scene where Tarou forces the Nouto senate eat his sandwich cuz they ruined his appetite and also telling them to take in the flavor- speechless. Only Tarou could do that. 🤣😂
Is Nouto cotton candy flavorless? 😅😆

For the first time I heard someone say Meow and not Nyaa on Japanese media. That was surprising.

Who is Don Murasame's other side/personality? Is it the thing he calls 'mother'?

It's weird that Jirou's dangerous side used to be his dominant personality... And that his other personality came from a pleasant experience instead of a traumatic one.

We also saw every regular/semi-regular character appear in this episode even for a brief moment. Maybe that wasn't necessary. That just messes with the other things that are going on in the episode.

Really looking forward to the next episode. Tsubasa will at least find out that Natsumi/Miho is Tsuyoshi's wife.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:02 pm Oh, helmet juice.
It took me watching the whole episode a second time to realize that the red helmet juice was just the power that was sucked out of Tarou. But did they revive Sonoi with just power...? They only needed power to revive him...? That explains why they invited Tarou to the funeral. And I wonder what Sonoi will think if he finds out that he was revived using Tarou's power that was stolen from him.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:42 am It took me watching the whole episode a second time to realize that the red helmet juice was just the power that was sucked out of Tarou. But did they revive Sonoi with just power...? They only needed power to revive him...? That explains why they invited Tarou to the funeral. And I wonder what Sonoi will think if he finds out that he was revived using Tarou's power that was stolen from him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3XVjy5Esrw

So many questions.

Will the Nouto and the Sentai team to fight the Jyuto or will the Nouto get sick if Momoi being such a Gary Stu?

Will Sonoi come back as Dark Sonoi and have a different color scheme? Will Momoi have to use more Yaoi power to change him back?

Why do both the humans and the Nouto become feral when they pick up the sword? Is this some reference to the Peach Boy?

Will Haruka and Sononi form a dance duo?

Will Sonozo use the power of shoujo manga origami to become an invincible fighter?

Will it ever be explained why the swirly face fake human guys are now supposed to be sympathetic characters?

What does Zenkaiser Black and Rin think of all these shenanigans?

Will some strangely dressed girl show up and congratulate people on becoming Kamen Riders?

Will the Bunny Suit Mangaka turn out to be the final boss?
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

It seems that Tarou is starting to realize that the Nouto world sucks. The bath water isn't hot enough. The massages are too gentle. The food is flavorless. He probably gave the sandwich to the masked guys to influence their opinions about the human world. It also explains why Anoni want to live there disguised as humans.

When Tarou was taken to Nouto world, I was expecting Jin to show up. Isn't he supposed to be managing the barriers between the worlds? That would certainly include travel of a known fugitive between them. On the other hand, he didn't do anything to hinder the Jyuto from returning.

Murasame was clearly designed to be wielded by Don clan members. That is why Tarou wasn't possessed and had his powers restored.

Reviving Sonoi with Tarou juice only serves to bring their relationship one step closer. Are the Nouto leaders secretly fudanshi?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh, right. Jin's in this story
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:04 pm Ooh, right. Jin's in this story
Easiest. Acting gig. Ever. :lol:
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:15 pm
takenoko wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:04 pm Ooh, right. Jin's in this story
Easiest. Acting gig. Ever. :lol:
Why even hire a separate actor to do it? Just get one of the staff members to read his lines behind a curtain, it's not like they have to get an actor for this plot device. He might as well have a faceless role like Don Murasame's mother.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:29 am
ViRGE wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:15 pm Easiest. Acting gig. Ever. :lol:
Why even hire a separate actor to do it? Just get one of the staff members to read his lines behind a curtain, it's not like they have to get an actor for this plot device. He might as well have a faceless role like Don Murasame's mother.
Having a face actor available to play Tarou's adoptive father was a big benefit to the show in helping to develop Tarou's character. It really helped to sell the flashbacks of this overly-perfect and socially-maladjusted kid who ended up being lonely because his actions drove away everyone else.

But I'm less sure why they kept him. The character hasn't done anything of significant value since then.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

Nah if Tarou didnt have his mind taken over because hes too strong willed. 1 he IS a Red. even if a ... different kind of Red. 2 perhaps being TOO logical prevents him from being mind controlled. 3 Kaito said he thought no one could beat Tarou. so, perhaps hes just plainly too powerful for the sword to handle?

i feel like Tarou's logic and IDGAF-ness ruined something. he didnt inquire about being a don family member when addressed as such, nor why he as an enemy was allowed in such a place. He simply just went with the flow.

Sonoi has 2 dads it seems.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”