Ryusoulger Legacy of Master's Soul 03 discussion

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger Legacy of Master's Soul 03 discussion

Post by takenoko »

<Previous
Wiki

I forget, why did Hana's Minusaur know that attack that only that one girl and the blue girl knew?

So Nire was a good guy this whole time? Oh, looks like Hana is going with him

Hana, the secret RyusoulYellow

So it was Nire's Minusaur. Seems kind of dumb of the trio of masters to not double check that it was fully dead. Is this the first time we see someone fully succumbed to a Minusaur?

The scenery where Koh and Master Red fight is pretty

Okay, so that's where the Minusaur came from. I guess that was a plot hole that was never addressed in the main story. You stupid masters, if you had just defeated it the first time, you wouldn't have died and the village wouldn't have been destroyed which probably killed Hana and Blue's pupil thus explaining their lack of presence in the main story

Poor black and green, only a passing through cameo this time. Isuka didn't even show up

Not quite as good as the other episodes since we're in full wrap up mode. I still appreciate these additional characters, background, and extra stuff to the Ryusoulger canon though. Do we ever see the episode 1 monster do Nire's special attack?
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Ryusoulger Legacy of Master's Soul 03 discussion

Post by ViRGE »

That was an enjoyable conclusion to this mini-series. I do agree with Takenoko that it's not quite as strong as the first two episodes since the build-up and mystery are over, but it's a very fitting ending none the less. I'm really enjoying what Toei is doing with these TTFC series, and if they can keep up this kind of quality, there's some real room to improve/expand upon some of the recent Sentais. Had this come out during Ryusoulger's run, it would have easily added another half a point, as far as I'm concerned.

So as expected, this episode is focused on Master Red, Nire, and Hana. The previous episode pretty much slapped us in the face with the idea that someone close to Hiragi killed him, and sure enough we find out that both Master Red and Nire were close. I don't remember any of the previous episodes mentioning that Hiragi was the previous Master Red, so that was a small surprise and kept things interesting.

This episode ultimately went the direction it had to go. Master Red is not a killer, so it had to be the new guy. But it's also a situation that no one took enjoyment in; we basically get to see what would happen if Bamba had his way and they just killed off the host instead. Hana almost takes all of this a little too well, but her father at least died for a noble reason, rather than being jumped for his job.

I feel like an idiot for not picking up on this earlier, but all of the episode titles have 0 in them: 0-1, 0-2, and 0-3. This mini-series of course takes place before Ryusoulger proper, but it wasn't until the end that I realized that this takes place immediately before the first episode of the series. So this really was episode 0 of Ryusoulger. The writers did have to take a couple of liberties here (mostly with the form of the regular-sized monster), but I really appreciate how that ties into the first episode and explains where the giant Minusaur comes from.

Overall this was a really neat way to add to the Ryusoulger story without either artificially extending it, or creating a storyline that is awkwardly never referenced again (since it was written after the series proper). In terms of placement and writing a coherent/self-contained story, the writers did a really good job here. They were able to tell us something about the Masters and the then-upcomming Ryusoulgers in such a way that it fits in perfectly with the rest of the series. In some respects I wish that this episode had been released before the rest of the series, as a true episode 0, but being pragmatic, this episode would have never worked if it needed to explain all of the basic lore of the series. So it does need to be watched last, even if it chronologically comes first.

Also, Bamba once again proves why he's the best Ryusoulger, and a total scene-stealer. In 15 seconds he cooly figures out everything - that Mayu isn't the minusaur's host and that she had been dumped.:lol:

On which note, I hope we see Mayu's actress again in another Toei production. She has potential.

Edit: This mini-series also makes me realize something else that, in retrospect, is kind of obvious. Minusaurs only naturally exist among the Ryusoul tribe members. For whatever reason, the tribe members have the ability/consequence of manifesting monsters based on their emotional state. Thus making the tribe responsible for them in the first place. They aren't a "natural" feature of the human race, and humans can only spawn them under the influence of the Druidons, who in turn have learned how to artificially create and weaponize them. And thus why the Ryusoulgers are still active even though the Druidons had been gone for millions of years - because the tribe still needed a fighting force to handle the minusaurs that they inadvertently create.
takenoko wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:06 pm I forget, why did Hana's Minusaur know that attack that only that one girl and the blue girl knew?
Well it was Nire's Minusaur, and he apparently knew the attack (he was the one to give Isuka advice, after all.
Is this the first time we see someone fully succumbed to a Minusaur?
I believe so. The series proper always made it a point to save the host, no matter how challenging it may be.
You stupid masters, if you had just defeated it the first time, you wouldn't have died and the village wouldn't have been destroyed which probably killed Hana and Blue's pupil thus explaining their lack of presence in the main story
Yeah, that does create a bit of a what-if situation. But then again, Nire never recovered from the negative emotions that created the monster in the first place. That doesn't usually happen; normally the Rusoulgers help fix that part, too. I don't think any did (or could have) realized just what was going on, judging from Nire's final monologue.
Do we ever see the episode 1 monster do Nire's special attack?
The episode 1 monster is only ever giant, so we never see any dexterous attacks like that.
Last edited by ViRGE on Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It just goes to show, Toei can still make great stuff when they're not focused on shilling the toy of the week or when they don't hire the writer from Ghost.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Minusaurs only naturally exist among the Ryusoul tribe members. For whatever reason, the tribe members have the ability/consequence of manifesting monsters based on their emotional state.

I kind of forget the backstory for Minusaurs. I always thought they were created because Slime guy put some mysterious liquid in people's mouths. For such a badly written series, I remember the backstory explanation for the Ryusoulgers existing to begin with being pretty confusing as well

>Well it was Nire's Minusaur, and he apparently knew the attack (he was the one to give Isuka advice, after all.

I guess that should have been a clue that Nire was the host. Man, Nire, what if the Masters had just killed Hana thinking she was the host. He doomed them all with his secrets
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

After the minosaur was defeated it looked like some goo was poured onto him. I think that Kreon or some other equivalent was involved in some way.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

fartboy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 pm After the minosaur was defeated it looked like some goo was poured onto him. I think that Kreon or some other equivalent was involved in some way.
That wasn't goo. That was the minusaur continuing to drain energy from Nire (thus setting up the final scene where Nire falls).

Minus energy and Kreon's goo are both green, so differentiating the two is a bit harder than it should be.
vasyear
7X
Quote: don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining

Post by vasyear »

I love when they do stuff like this

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”