Outsiders ep.0 discussion thread

Everything starts at 0. I mean 1.
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zero-One Wiki Link

< Zi-O | Zero-One |

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Outsiders ep.0 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

lol Gai eating 1000% noodle. Even I don't need to translate that

Mari's new dress is amazing

Love the way Dan petulantly runs

Oh we're reusing this footage...

Oh we're getting normal Mari too?

No wonder Gai is always running out of power. His ears are clearly still in the red

Oh damn, Smart Queen dusted in episode zero

Are we supposed to recognize hoody man?

What's What's the Outsiders? lyrics

Episode one in January. So wait, is that all we're getting from Smart Queen? A cool dress and then she just turns into Delta? Not even a unique monster? Sad they didn't get the surviving Orphenoch lady or og Smart Lady for this role
Emoxcalibur
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Re: Outsiders ep.0 discussion thread

Post by Emoxcalibur »

Surviving Orphenoch lady, as in Kageyama Saeko / Lobster Orphenoch.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

takenoko wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:29 pm Wiki
Next >No wonder Gai is always running out of power. His ears are clearly still in the red

Are we supposed to recognize hoody man?
You mean Dan is always out of power not Gai. Also I guess you can recharge Humagears with the same recharging stations for electric cars.

The hood guy was in the Blades X Specter crossover awhile back. So yes we are supposed to recognize him but I forgot about him. Kamen Rider Kanon was more rememberable.

At least Smart Queen did a lot more in 10 minutes compared to Smart Lady in all of Faiz.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:29 pm Sad they didn't get the surviving Orphenoch lady or og Smart Lady for this role
https://www.ladyeve.net/archives/053591

The actress who played the surviving Orphenoch lady on 555 is Waka (和香). In 2019, Karahashi Mitsuru designed a Smart Brain bag with Waka being the model for promotion. Other than that, we don't know anything about her acting career after 555.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

decade368990 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:23 am
takenoko wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:29 pm Sad they didn't get the surviving Orphenoch lady or og Smart Lady for this role
https://www.ladyeve.net/archives/053591

The actress who played the surviving Orphenoch lady on 555 is Waka (和香). In 2019, Karahashi Mitsuru designed a Smart Brain bag with Waka being the model for promotion. Other than that, we don't know anything about her acting career after 555.
Sounds like she's overdue for a cameo
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:46 pm Sounds like she's overdue for a cameo
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%92%8C%E9%A6%99

Probably not. The character's humanity was completely wiped in the final episode of 555, there's no human since then.

The family of the actress apparently runs a yakiniku restaurant. That's where she most likely spends her time rather than focusing on her acting.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This episode was every bit as fun as I hoped for. The worst I can say about it is that there was surprisingly little fighting - but then it's against an ultimate/final form, so that fight was only ever going to go one way.

The character of Kuroto Dan is a giant ham, and this episode delivered on that. Using his god-like powers to win scratch-off lottery tickets is exactly the kind of petty grandstanding that makes his character so much fun. Make no mistake: he's absolutely evil, but he's so conceited that he goes about it all in an entertaining fashion. (I see Yuya Takahashi wrote this, so it explains why the characterization is so spot-on)

That Smart Brain was able to buy his company is a bid odd, though. With essentially endless resources, you'd think he'd own a majority of shares for his own company. But I suppose the writing needs an "in" to explain why Smart Brain is taking an interest.

Also, I love that he still hasn't figured out how to recharge himself. He was a bugster for far too long.:lol:

Meanwhile, the Orphenoch King is back. Given that the series already has a big bad villain waiting in the wings (Zain), I'm not immediately sure what he's here for. This is supposed to be a collection of evil riders, and while he's certainly buggy, he's not a rider. So we'll have to see where that goes.

I guess the ultimate outcome of Outsiders is that they're going to be forming the Avengers of evil Kamen Riders? It's an interesting concept, though we'll see if the execution can hold. The built-up will likely be easier than the landing. Though it also depends on how many riders they're going to be collecting for this little party. I take it Toei hasn't said how many episodes this is going for?

On that note, the fact that this is episode 0 is kind of weird. It's not a prequel to another work; if anything it's a continuation of The Presidents. So it may as well be episode 1 for all practical purposes. Though I suppose it is a partial rehash of the last Genms movie (1000 Percent Crisis), as that was clearly testing the waters for developing a full mini-series, and now they have to go back and lay things out for a proper series.

I'm really bummed that the next episode isn't until 2023, though. They clearly already filmed it, given the next episode preview (I would just as well assume they've already filmed the entire mini-series at this point), so I'm not sure what the purpose is in holding it back by at least 3 months. All of the other KR/Sentai TTFC series thus far have been monthly releases, which is a much better cadence - especially when the first episode wasn't even 15 minutes long.

And the next episode will focus on Ouja. Following that terrible Brave movie, one way or another this should be interesting...

Edit: Oh, and I love the music they used at the end while Kuroto was walking along the bridge! It's very deep an ominous, in a classic Star Trek sort of way :D
takenoko wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:29 pm Mari's new dress is amazing
Right? Wardrobe on Kamen Rider shows tends to be sharp (if more so for the men than the women), but that Smart Queen ensemble is downright elegant. Elbow-length gloves, the long, flowing dress, the perfectly coiffed hair. She may be Smart Queen, but that is a lady. :shock:

It's not all that complex of an ensemble, but someone was trying very hard that day to do something that is distinctly not casual.
So wait, is that all we're getting from Smart Queen? A cool dress and then she just turns into Delta?
Given that the actress is seemingly sticking around to play her human counterpart, I'm not sure I'd write off Smart Queen quite yet. Since he was a duplicate/impersonation to begin with, what's to say the Orphenochs won't do it again. They still need a mascot and secretary, after all... (And if she doesn't come back, I will be very disappointed).

Return to “Kamen Rider Zero-One”