My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 10 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.13 of 5 stars (8 votes)

Oh... so that's his wish? Very unexpected

Oh, opening spoils the new players. What's going on with nago? Is that a new girl?

Geats brought a rose for his boyfriend

Oh they brought the old man from squid games here

Shouldn't Ukiyo be wondering why PunkJack, the staff member is here in the game? "The gamemaster put his spy in the game... but didn't bother to give him a different identity/mask". Oh okay, they save that reaction for later

13 min in, I wonder if those two in the back without the jackets are suit actors. They really stand out

Neon has a dad? Oooh, Neon's coming back

Beat has a nice design

While mostly a setup episode, it's definitely not without its moments of delight. It's fun seeing Ukiyo play family with the staff to try to get intel for his greater plan. Geats fighting with the leg boosters was a great action sequence. Neon with her Beats power-up was a fun sequence too.

Punk Jack hasn't impressed me so far. I think he's supposed to add a wild x factor to the situation, but so far he's just kind of annoying. Most of the Riders this time died almost instantly and I'm really hoping there's not a squid games twist with the old man

Edit:
It's probably worth pointing out how many games Geats has won:
Current: Staff is family
Last time: He's a global star
Prior to episode 1: Work sucks, no more work
Prior to episode 1, probably first wish: In the Desire Grand Prix until he dies

So he's probably won 4 times. Does 4 times sound like it reaches till 0 AD? Probably not. I do appreciate that Geats has basically does the wish for infinite wishes move for his first one. It's nice to see someone finally do that in media. That said, the middle two wishes almost seem like throwaway wishes in terms of whatever his ultimate goal is

Not to point out the obvious, but why isn't Punk Jack a part of Geat's family? Feels like they cheated him on his wish this time. And shouldn't he also be like "Why isn't Gamemaster a part of my family?" Maybe he knows Girori is the Gamemaster, but it'd be nice to have it addressed

I really appreciate Ace as a Tendou 2.0. He's cool and standoffish, but he lets the facade drop for those he cares about. Whereas Tendou would hold onto his pride to the breaking point, Ace is letting people like Neon and Keiwa get close to him, and even helping out Buffa and others

Whereas Buffa absolutely lets his team self-destruct since he doesn't know how to teach them to play the game (Which is the complete opposite of what we see Ace does in the first Desire Grand Prix). Buffa only sees his teammates as a hindrance to his own goals
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Geats 10 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

So what's with Tycoon then? Is he just not appearing for this season of the DGP? And sudden personality overhaul? Mystery upon mysteries.

Yeah I remember Punk Jack when he was called Kengo in KR Kiva. Basically the same character, irritating then and frankly moreso now. Die quickly please <3

Dang new sheep character died off fast. I thought for sure she'd be around for a while considering she was in the OP.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So presumably "I want to compete until I die" was his first wish, which is smart. Even if he doesn't win each time, he's guaranteed another chance as long as he doesn't die. Seems like they're now trying to kill him off to get out of that agreement.

Nago is presumably up to something too, since she was added later and they drew attention to her being different. I agree it was surprising they killed the new girl off too.

Some of these new Rider names really feel like they were scraping a dictionary for names. The new girl was Kamen Rider Letter. On the board I spotted Kamen Rider Donkey, which is a great name and I demand he get his own spin-off.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Ok this is officially the best kamen rider series writing ever...

They bring this new girl and put her in the opening then she gets gang banged and they kill her in less than 25 minutes. She did absolutely nothing... just amazing :lol:

They added a Rock Star character aka Hareruya Win that is a guitar player and added a buckle item that a guitar but they give the item to Neon when she is not even a singer???????....
Final Vent!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:57 pm Dang new sheep character died off fast. I thought for sure she'd be around for a while considering she was in the OP.
I like that they've been updating the opening, priming the viewer to check to see who's dead or not episode to episode, using it to showcase this new cast of crew, but psych, Neon's not there (even though she's in the preview) but instead we get this new girl (but dies the same episode). Amazing setup
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The new girl is like how that one guy in the beginning of Buffy got an opening credit spot only to get turned into a vampire and get killed by Buffy in the first episode.

I would guess that the power of the family wish doesn't give Ace information about all of the Desire Grand Prix staff. You don't necessary know all of your family members are or what they do. So Ace not knowing Gigori is the GM does make sense. Family members do keep secrets between members.

I just keep seeing Gantz in Geats so much. Even though in Geats have more information from the people running it unlike Gantz where you just are thrown in and hope you managed to survive.

It looks like the desires that Ace gets granted are stacked on top of each other instead of being separate worlds. Still wonder how Ace only won 4 DGPs even though he existed since 0 AD.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh! Neon's dad is TimeFire!
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

Still not too thrill about the riders having to have a buckle in order to have any power what so ever. I hope this stabilize soon or there might not be a upgraded form and final form. Also will we see Monarch back? Since Reon was called back.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Okay, now everyone who plays guitar hero can claim to be a Kamen Rider?

Very jarring episode. While Buffa didn't change much in between games, Keiwa and Neon had huge changes in personality without explanation. If you survive but lose the DGP do you automatically lose the desire for your wish?

Should this episode be labeled S02E1?

So now Keiwa's sister should be unaware of Neon's existence?

Since this is a show aimed at boys, I wonder if Ace is going to wish for a DGP where he is the only male player and the other players act like they are in a harem anime?

Will they bring the actor who played Todoroki in Kamen Rider Hibiki to be a player who resonates with the guitar hero buckle?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

There's such a dramatic gap in terms of action between Super Sentai and Kamen Rider this season. Every week Geats is throwing down with great setpiece battles. Meanwhile Sentai at its best is only mediocre in comparison. I'm enjoying these Geats fights a great deal; I just wish both halves of SHT could deliver that level of quality.

So is Beats meant to be Nago's standard form? The coloring seems off since her base color is gold. But the theme does match the headphones built into her helmet.
takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:44 pm Oh... so that's his wish? Very unexpected
Agreed. It's a very inspired choice. He's clearly weaseling around to find out more about the DGP, with limited success. And I see why Tsumuri hated it. :lol:
Geats brought a rose for his boyfriend
Ace signing his shirt was a really good gag. They nailed the setup and execution perfectly on it.
So he's probably won 4 times. Does 4 times sound like it reaches till 0 AD? Probably not.
Aye. I picked up on the same problem. This seems inconsistent with the idea that he goes back to 0 AD. Which since it's never been explicitly stated, may be a misdirection.

On the plus side, it's cool that his wishes do stack. Previously I had assumed that wouldn't be the case. But this is a far more interesting story setup.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>On the plus side, it's cool that his wishes do stack. Previously I had assumed that wouldn't be the case. But this is a far more interesting story setup.

I can see this playing out two ways. Either each wish actually really does modify the world to match the winner's wish... or they're doing an Everything Everywhere twist and moving toward a parallel dimension that matches the winner's wish. Yes, I still think we're in a multiverse scenario, and the multiverse differences would explain why the Keiwa and Neon in this universe are so different from the ones we've met before. The Rider ID doesn't restore their memories so much as gives them the memories of the previous world's version of those characters. That's why if you die/your ID is destroyed, you don't get to continue in the next world since that's where the real memories are

Edit:
Tried to copy the names from the chart, maybe some of them are wrong because the font is a bit hard to read:

Geats - Ukiyo Ace
Punk Jack - Hareruya Win
Buffa - Azuma Michinaga
Keilow - Tanba Ittetsu
Letter - Yaginuma Yukie
Ichiki - Tamada Takumi
Omonin - Arai Kaoru
Gavil - Takagihara Ryou
Adify - Kamoshita Mie
Donkey - Yoshizawa Toshiki
Coyoten - Takihara Ami
Dober - Yamai Hana
Dakkun - Tsujimura Yointaka
Ya-Man - Iriomote Yasuko
Kamopachi - Furutou Minami
Wanted - Monkigo Ryuumi
Iberico - Butayama Manataro
Caman - Himuro Haru
Sha-ki - Kageyama Keiko
Palos - Suzumeno Rui
Fursil - Wangatake Sae
Kakko - Kin Ken
Uzul 'Arc - Amura Reina
Zelgar - Itikawa Satoimi
Ho-Ho - Nemurazu Takuto
Karoogan - Aoyama Yu
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Kamen Rider Wanted just sounds like a job ad. Also too bad Kamen Rider Ya-Man die immediately. I would enjoy the various ways to make Ya-Man jokes.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

also anyone know why the goat rider is named Letter? I can't quite figure that one out. Is Keilow an owl? I noted on the wiki keirou means "to venerate old people"
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Nice episode overall, although I feel like "spot the main character" was way more blunt this round than before (though I didn't expect bootleg Neon to get murdered right off)

Monster was the "you win" buckle before, but now it's a starter item? Neon gets some overpowered AOE + buffs for allies one too. So they're just giving away cool buckles right at the beginning? What is this power creep in GDP, lol.

>"jamato are getting stronger"
My dude, most of the riders are caught off guard and can barely fight anyway. I don't think this is very useful standard for deremining the power level. And if anything, I'd say humans have gotten weaker since the last time

Punk jack dude is written as someome who out-geats Geats by being 10x more standoffish and sneaky. Kinda annoying that to show that they had to have the master trickster get duped so easily later on in the episode.

Also, seems like ID cores are unique for each individual instead of being recycled (hence Buffa being surprised seeing Nago again and all of the other participants being re-colors instead of re-uses). Considering the new guy literally called himself "punk jack", word-for-word as the one before that, why would anyone believe he's not the same person..? (at least I hope they didn't believe, or it would be one of those "children's show brain" moments)

takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:44 pm It's probably worth pointing out how many games Geats has won:
Current: Staff is family
Last time: He's a global star
Prior to episode 1: Work sucks, no more work
Prior to episode 1, probably first wish: In the Desire Grand Prix until he dies

So he's probably won 4 times. Does 4 times sound like it reaches till 0 AD? Probably not. I do appreciate that Geats has basically does the wish for infinite wishes move for his first one. It's nice to see someone finally do that in media. That said, the middle two wishes almost seem like throwaway wishes in terms of whatever his ultimate goal is
IMO, wish 2 gives one plenty of free time and wish 3 maybe makes it easier to get places and talk to people, I'd say both are useful if you're investigating something or looking for a missing person.
takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:44 pm
Not to point out the obvious, but why isn't Punk Jack a part of Geat's family? Feels like they cheated him on his wish this time. And shouldn't he also be like "Why isn't Gamemaster a part of my family?" Maybe he knows Girori is the Gamemaster, but it'd be nice to have it addressed
He's a long lost twin brother, lol. Would actually be kinda neat if they aknowledge that they're related somewhere in an epic fight down the line, though the writers don't seem to treat these new familial bonds seriously
Lunagel wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:57 pm Yeah I remember Punk Jack when he was called Kengo in KR Kiva. Basically the same character, irritating then and frankly moreso now. Die quickly please <3
Can't do, chief, the man simply has too much important character energy to die! He's pretty much a sixth ranger right now. Have you seen how much screen time he's got this episode?!
Phoenix512 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:30 am It looks like the desires that Ace gets granted are stacked on top of each other instead of being separate worlds.
I feel like they wrote the concept as "wishes" but then switched out for "worlds" just to have a convenient explanation as to why damage and people's memories get reset.

EDIT:
Tycoon stopped eating soba and being charitable. Nago stopped being rebellous, being a streamer and did not try running away from home anymore, but got back to normal when she bacame rider again. Is that why they call them ID cores: because once you get one it holds your IDentity, kinda like gemstones in madoka..? #showerthoughts
Last edited by Mikadius on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

takenoko wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:27 pm also anyone know why the goat rider is named Letter? I can't quite figure that one out. Is Keilow an owl? I noted on the wiki keirou means "to venerate old people"
The explanation I've been seeing for Letter is that it's a reference to a children's song called "Yagi-san Yuubin", about a pair of goats who get letters from each other, but then eat them before they have a chance to read them.

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”