Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Tycoon Core ID coming out

Post by takenoko »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jH4t4yyix0 guess they're finally making a tycoon core id? why make it limited, he's a major character
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Tycoon Core ID coming out

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

to drive up sales, probably? like, I'm a little surprised/annoyed it didn't come with the Ninja buckle, but worth considering: back during Gaim, Takatora's faceplate was also a limited bonus for buying stuff during a certain period, so it's not like this is unprecedented.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess I don't follow the toys close enough to notice this stuff, but at least with Gaim, Gaim and Baron would be the main Riders with Takatora being tertiary at best. Keiwa is at least secondary Rider in status, right?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

yeah, it's weird. like, Geats and Gaim's belts did pretty much the same thing, where you can buy the belt by itself and the holder for additional transformation widgets separately or as a bundle, and it comes with the title rider and another rider's unique id thing and main form item (Gaim and Baron/Geats and Buffa [side note: just realized both have title rider with a G name and other rider with a B name. weird]), but Buffa has felt less important than Baron if we're comparing character dynamics.

maybe it's all about how important the characters were planned to be when they were getting the toys plotted out vs. changes in script that happened closer to the show being made?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Gaim's toyline was complete insanity in terms of releases.

So the Sengoku Driver came with Gaim and Baron, along with Orange and Banana. Ryugen and Budou got sold as a set. Melon came with the Musou Saber, with the Zangetsu face plate being a limited item. Melon Energy came with the Genesis Driver and Lemon Energy came with the Sonic Arrow. Both of these things make sense. Pine, Ichigo, Suika, Mango, Kiwi, Cherry Energy and Peace Energy were all standalone items to buy.

Gridon, Kurokage, Bravo and Knuckle, along with their lock seeds were all Premium Bandai exclusives released late on. You could get Gashapon/Candy versions of the Lock Seeds, but the non-DX Lock Seeds were missing so much functionality they were basically worthless.

Meanwhile movie exclusive Riders like Bujin Gaim, the Legend Rider Locks, and the Apple Riders in the football summer movie were regular retail releases despite very small appearances. Bujin Gaim became the only non-Premium Bandai way to get the Rock sounds in the Driver, so it became hard to get as a result.

The Arms Change figures were similarly weird. Gaim, Baron, Ryugen, Bujin Gaim, Zangetsu, Zangetsu Shin and Duke were all retail releases, despite Bujin Gaim and Duke barely appearing. Also retail releases were Pine/Ichigo as a set, Mango/Kiwi as a set, the big Suika Armour, and the 4 Legend Riders from the Gaim/Wizard movie.

The other Riders were Premium Bandai. Notably, they never released Baron with Lemon Energy. Now, obviously the whole point of the figure line is that you can swap the armour, and yes, you can just put it on Baron yourself. Except the belt is wrong, and the emblem on the armour will have Duke, not Baron.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

couple minor corrections: Pine wasn't technically a standalone, since it came with the holder for additional locks, meaning you either got it with the holder separately or as a bundle with the belt if you bought that while it was available, like how Buffa is with the buckle holders, but there's a bundle of that with the belt, too. and for the figures, there were also the toys of the motorcycles that folded up into locks, and the one that turned into a 2 legged walking platform. I think at least one of those came bundled with a figure, too, but they were still regular releases.

all that aside, though, yeah, I remember it being a maddening time trying to keep track of stuff when I was building my collection. I missed out on Mango and Bujin Gaim because of how quick they sold out and never restocked, too.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:41 pm yeah, it's weird. like, Geats and Gaim's belts did pretty much the same thing, where you can buy the belt by itself and the holder for additional transformation widgets separately or as a bundle, and it comes with the title rider and another rider's unique id thing and main form item (Gaim and Baron/Geats and Buffa [side note: just realized both have title rider with a G name and other rider with a B name. weird]), but Buffa has felt less important than Baron if we're comparing character dynamics.
Ooh right, Buffa. Fascinating that he didn't even enter my mind when thinking of core Riders. On paper, yeah he's the rival Rider. But from airtime and focus, amazingly Nago feels like the most important character from character progression, main character interaction, and screen time metrics. I assume there isn't even a Nago Core ID since Bandai gonna Bandai

>all that aside, though, yeah, I remember it being a maddening time trying to keep track of stuff when I was building my collection. I missed out on Mango and Bujin Gaim because of how quick they sold out and never restocked, too.

Wow, and I thought the biggest problem for collectors now was scalpers. How can kid's toys be rare. It feels like we should be living in an era without scarcity
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Actually, there IS a Nago core. it came with the Beat Buckle, same way Punk Jack's came with Monster.

that was what caught so many people off guard, because the toy was announced before we even saw Punk Jack de-henshin at the end of the last game, so we all thought he was an NPC generated by the DGP or something and not a real person, but surprise, not only does Tycoon not get his core with his buckle, leading to the reveal that he gets knocked out, but Punk Jack IS an important enough character to get a buckle?

as for stuff being rare, it's probably NOT actually that rare, it's just that this was years ago, before the middle-man services got better, so they'd only be able to get so many to sell, regardless of how easy they were to get in Japan, meaning you'd have to hope you got an order in quick enough or else find it on ebay for a lot higher price.

it's still not GREAT in that regard, either, but it's improved, and supposedly there are actual US releases for the Geats stuff? I've been using a site I hadn't used before, but apparently existed for a while, called Tokullectibles, to order my Geats stuff. they've been listing Japan releases and US releases for which you want to order, with the Japan stuff costing more, but coming out sooner, and US releases being cheaper, but releasing months later. as an example, I currently own the Monster Buckle, and all 3 of the Armed Buckle two packs they released, and I should probably be getting Fever within the next week, but I placed my order for the Desire Driver with holder bundle, Geats' gun, and the Ninja buckle and weapon with the US releases. my order for the belt/gun was placed in August, when it said "JP release September, US release October" and now the US release is listed as November and still hasn't asked me to pay the rest of the price yet, so who knows if it's been delayed yet further?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Wait, so why doesn't the Tycoon Core ID just come with the Ninja Buckle?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

no idea. they released the buckle by itself, no core. then they released Monster with Punk Jack's core and Beat with Nago's. now the Tycoon core is a limited item specifically if you buy either the belt or the new item releasing next week that I won't name, but showed up in the next episode preview this week.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Is Tycoon just not supposed to be the secondary rider? Is it supposed to be Buffa? Or Nago?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I get the feeling he's the secondary now, but wasn't originally planned to be. like, early into the last game, the Game Master seemed like he was trying to pit Geats and Buffa against each other, or at least expecting them to go at each other like rivals.

I can't ever know for sure, but it feels like the original plan was to play up Keiwa like the Kagami to Geats' Tendou, then kill him off to show there are real stakes as the games wear on, and they set up the toys back when that was still the plan. so if Tycoon's not important enough to stick around for long, save money by not making his core, but then he turned out to be popular?

like, I remember hearing, possibly during episode discussions earlier in this forum, that this was also a thing they did in Ryuki, where they didn't release any of the deck cases for characters who weren't sticking around long?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I got the impression from early marketing that Buffa was the secondary, but Tycoon and Nago have both been playing that tole more.

The thing is, "secondary rider" is even more meaningless than "6th ranger". For example, Toei considers Brave and Vulcan to be their shows', but as far as I'm concerned they jointly hold those titles with Snipe and Valkyrie.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

yeah, at this point, if we DO get a "shocking character death for Christmas", I'm betting Buffa dies, and possibly either Punk Jack kills him or some surprise new Rider who works for the DGP, or even just a DGP related person and not a Rider at all.

it'd be like Ex-Aid where "one of the 4 "main" riders we established early dies, one of the people involved in the fight is a Zombie themed Rider, and the murderer is someone working for/in charge of the thing that makes the Riders' powers, but we're losing the one who had the least focus so it HITS you but you're not losing one of the ones you REALLY care about."
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hmm, that almost makes me want to make a spreadsheet of Rider deaths to see if they correlate with certain episodes/plot beats. Unfortunately, there's only so many ways of pacing a year long series so unfortunately it can be like poetry, it rhymes

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”