DonBrothers 40 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:53 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
30%
☆☆☆
30%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: DonBrothers 40 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I surprised Luna when I told her who the guest was. Guess I wasn't expecting the greying to happen so soon!

LOL, I can't ever tell what these Hitotsuki designs are supposed to be. I just thought it was a bunch of cogs like a clock
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:19 am Whoa, Haruka's aunt must be rich!
Maybe, maybe not. She is a cop after all, so she might have pulled some strings. But she is the cop in charge of the Jyuto cases, so she may be pretty high up in the ranks and be fairly well paid.

Or both. Could be both.
takenoko wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:04 pm Yeah, I surprised Luna when I told her who the guest was. Guess I wasn't expecting the greying to happen so soon!
I would have guessed that the grey was an intentional "dye job" to make him look more like Inoue.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Something that came to my mind- Sononi was talking in her normal voice the whole time, right? Like, she wasn't mimicking/trying to mimic Natsumi's voice?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

This was certainly a DonBrothers episode. I’m tempted to say *the* most DonBrothers episode we’ve had, in fact, given that most of it’s split down the middle between a zany hijinks episode and an emotion/trauma one with not a lot between those extremes. I’m not going to say it’s the strongest DonBros has been, but it feels like there are like some highlights of the entire show in here, between Tsubasa’s fantastic speech about the nature of love and Haruka doing to Murasame *with a car* what both the DonBrothers and Nouto have struggled to do on their own.

This episode also explains why Sononi started predicting tragedy a few episodes back—she doesn’t need the ability to prophecy if she’s planning to make it happen herself. I really hope Tsubasa isn’t going to go off the word of one known-manipulative frenemy that runs counter to all the other rules of the world he knows, but it looks like this romance is going down a road set pretty much as early as Toshiba Inoue was announced as head writer.

Kijino’s mental health updates have recently feel kind of disjointed from the rest of the episodes, but I think it works here because of how it parallels Sononi—both have *something* resembling love, but they’ve distorted it far enough to make them act like manipulative monsters. (Perhaps this is Sononi’s biggest tragedy—with a misled and warped desire leading her to evil, is she any different from the Hirotsuki that she believes are better off dead or comatose?) As a side note, I know I wasn’t satisfied with last week seeming to have ignored Kijino’s mental slide, but I have to say I was wrong—he may be less disconnected from reality now, but by any other measure he’s gotten even worse. Yikes.

Anyway, it says something about this episode that in all that writing I haven’t gotten to Tsubasa accidentally killing someone. I’d expected the episode to spend a bit more time on this, but there’s so much going on and we’ve had a Sentai member attempt murder within the first quarter of the show, so it makes sense that there are bigger fish to fry.
msf232 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:37 pm Something that came to my mind- Sononi was talking in her normal voice the whole time, right? Like, she wasn't mimicking/trying to mimic Natsumi's voice?
Huh, weird. I'd chalked it up to Tsubasa being mentally as well as physically fazed at the time
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I don't think she ever pretended to be Natsumi. Tsubasa just had fucked up ears and eyes. The voice is even layered over with Natsum's actress voice initially I think to show Tsubasa can't distinguish it
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Tsubasa really should've gone to see a doctor when he could only see blurry for more than 5 minutes. Or is he still technically on the run? I can't tell if that wanted poster for his Jyuto's antics was a joke or it has show-wide repercussions.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:23 pm Tsubasa really should've gone to see a doctor when he could only see blurry for more than 5 minutes. Or is he still technically on the run? I can't tell if that wanted poster for his Jyuto's antics was a joke or it has show-wide repercussions.
My interpretation is that Tsubasa is indeed a fugitive once again - thus maintaining status quo with the series. But it's definitely not a situation that has been clearly communicated. (Plus, with Inoue, you never know when he's going to declare Calvinball)
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:53 pm Wasn't Kakuranger a previous Christmas episode? Gokaiger's I think
Not quite. The holiday episode was for Battle Fever J and was right before the Kakuranger tribute so they had the Gokaigers use their keys at one point so they'd have a full team fight to show footage of for the Ninjaman montage of Gokai Changes since the only full Kakuranger change before then had been to get away from Shieldon.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:56 pm The voice is even layered over with Natsum's actress voice initially I think to show Tsubasa can't distinguish it
Maybe that was the reason I thought Sononi was using Natsumi's voice (or maybe, my ears are not capable enough to tell those two voices apart 😬)
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

BTW, is Haruka's yellow jump suit Bruce Lee's iconic jumpsuit?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

This was maybe the best intersection of the B plot and A plot I've ever seen in Toku. I really didn't think that they would interact at all, so to have it suddenly crash into Murasame was aboslutely hilarious.

Hope Inoue doesn't drop the ball during the homestretch here, but DonBrothers might be my favourite Sentai based on the 40 eps I've seen.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”