Shin Ultraman spoiler thread

Unlicensed series, movies, recaps, and more.
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Shin Ultraman spoiler thread

Post by takenoko »

< Shin Godzilla
Wiki
Shin Kamen Rider >

Went and saw the sub that was screened January 11. I thought the script was fantastic. They do such a good job balancing the camp, drama, and humor. It was surprisingly funny. The action scenes were fantastic. I love how weird and Evangelion shaped this Ultraman was. We had people cheering during some of the scenes like during the first transformation or when he one hit KOed a kaiju

But yeah, go out and watch it. Once you do that, come back and read the spoiler part:

============================
Some thoughts:
-Oooh, brane theory! From Go-Onger, I learned that the brane theory is the idea that the multiverse consists of multiple dimensions, with each one being a different layer of the membrane. Nice to see it used here, even if 2022 was the year of the multiverse overuse
-Man does Asami carry this movie. She has to be so many roles and she nails it. So many funny lines from that woman
-Great politics? "The Americans are only interested in selling us weapons" Yeah, that sounds about right lol. "The government was surprisingly efficient with declaring him dead". At least the government can be fast at some things lol
-One of the first things my sister said to me (I went with her and another normie friend) was she liked the derpy eyes of the invisible kaiju. I think some of the monster designs and fights were real good. Loved seeing the destruction of the power plant and parts of the city.
-I'm going to need to look up this writer, he did a great job.
-What interesting use of camera angles. The one that stood out most was where the camera was under the desk or something

Translation thoughts:
For the most part I thought it was a good translation. I particularly liked that they tried to convey the real meaning of itterashai and ittekimasu. The first one is usually "goodbye", but has another meaning of "come back safely". And ittekimasu means "I'm going now", but has the additional meaning of "I promise I'll be back", which is ironic for how it's used here. But it makes it more significant when he says "I'm back" and she says "Welcome back"

I thought I saw a couple lines of the sub missing, but someone else said they were just misttimed and went by too fast. Like how does something like that get out of quality control for a nationwide screening?

Typo where someone wrote "if" instead of "it"

I'm glad they spelled Spacium right here

The name convention doesn't use honorifics and stuff, which normally isn't a problem. But here, I wish the nerd guy actually called the lady Analyst Asami which included her title, since that's how he addresses her each time "Oh, that's Analyst Asami"

If Mefilas is supposed to be based on Mephisto, probably should spell it Mephilas. Anyway, that actor was great, what a good performance

I was hoping for a kanji to know which shin this Ultraman is, but it looks like it's written in hiragana. So it's kind of like New/True Ultraman
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: Shin Ultraman spoiler thread

Post by decade368990 »

The movie had IMAX screening when it was released in Japan theatres. Is there IMAX screening of this movie in the US region?? I watched the movie in October in an IMAX house, but no IMAX quality.

I got a mixed feelings with the way how they handled the editing. It’s indeed a passionate project, unfortunately it feels like they chopped away a big bunch of surprises. The way how they treated Ultraman operates in his human form seems very dull. There isn’t much for the character to do aside from encountering threats. Mefilas mentally taunting Ultraman is excellent.

I heard Zoffy is the final bad guy in this movie because they used an unpublished description about Zoffy is the one unleashing Zetton.

I talked to some toy shop shopkeepers, some of them prefer the suit Ultraman rather than the full CGI. I sort of agree; if you remember the final scene, Zoffy moves only his left forearm while the right forearm doesn’t move until he eventually activates the Beta Capsule. Furaya Bin, the Ultraman suit actor in the original series, was involved in this movie. The crew designed Ultraman based on his anatomy and muscle proportions. Furaya also wore the motion capture suit in some capacity.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Not sure if I saw it in imax, but I doubt it. I went to the AMC to watch it and I think it was in one of the smaller screens

Oh, that reminds me. The handling of Kaminaga was kind of weird. Ultraman says he merged with Kaminaga, but you see Kaminaga's corpse. Plus, he doesn't seem to have any of Kaminaga's personality of knowledge. You see Ultraman reading a book and acting like an alien throughout the whole movie.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:36 pm I love how weird and Evangelion shaped this Ultraman was.
Given how Evangelion was inspired by Ultraman, so it isn't crazy to think that since Anno is involved with it.
Man does Asami carry this movie. She has to be so many roles and she nails it. So many funny lines from that woman
She really love grabbing her own ass. Also her joy when Meflias deleted all the social media related to giant Asami was great.
I thought I saw a couple lines of the sub missing, but someone else said they were just misttimed and went by too fast. Like how does something like that get out of quality control for a nationwide screening?
I'm pretty sure what happened was that those lines also had a sign translation at the same time and they just had the sign and dialogue lines set to the sign which is shorter than the dialogue itself.
decade368990 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:47 pm The movie had IMAX screening when it was released in Japan theatres. Is there IMAX screening of this movie in the US region?? I watched the movie in October in an IMAX house, but no IMAX quality.

I heard Zoffy is the final bad guy in this movie because they used an unpublished description about Zoffy is the one unleashing Zetton.

I talked to some toy shop shopkeepers, some of them prefer the suit Ultraman rather than the full CGI.
There's no way there would be IMAX screenings for this. I wouldn't call Zoffy a bad guy. I actually like the full CGI Ultraman especially with the no Color Timer. I like how the red just turns into green when he's in trouble and don't need the beeping.
takenoko wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:44 am Oh, that reminds me. The handling of Kaminaga was kind of weird. Ultraman says he merged with Kaminaga, but you see Kaminaga's corpse. Plus, he doesn't seem to have any of Kaminaga's personality of knowledge. You see Ultraman reading a book and acting like an alien throughout the whole movie.
I tend to believe that Lipiah may have absorb Kaminaga's memories but not his personality. Also we barely had time with the real Kaminaga to know what his personality was like anyway. Thinking about it more it could be that Lipiah briefly separated Kaminaga's corpse from himself while still retaining Kaminaga's form since there's no way that people wouldn't notice a corpse in the woods.
decade368990
Train man

Post by decade368990 »

Phoenix512 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:29 am There's no way there would be IMAX screenings for this. I wouldn't call Zoffy a bad guy. I actually like the full CGI Ultraman especially with the no Color Timer. I like how the red just turns into green when he's in trouble and don't need the beeping.
I guess the IMAX screening was limited to only Japan region.

Here is the unofficial description about Zoffy is the one releasing Zetton: https://twitter.com/theUZUMUJAM/status/ ... 84/photo/1
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I did miss the beeping timer personally
decade368990
Train man

Post by decade368990 »

After watching this movie, who wants to buy toys???

Ultra Replica: Beta Capsule and upcoming Mefilas Beta Capsule.
Hero’s Brave Statues (英雄勇像).
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I'd caught an early screening of it at a comic con, and was curious what I'd think of it after a second watch; going to expand from some of what I said in a different thread:

To me, Shin Godzilla felt like trying to reestablish Godzilla and Toho as a Hollywood-tier major force; however, Shin Ultraman didn't feel that way at all--it feels less like a "Name Director" going for a definitive interpretation and more like a small indie company somehow getting the Ultraman license and deciding they could do whatever they wanted. Its arthouse camerawork, questionable contrasts in music style, and sometimes-bizarre rapid-fire editing choices lent to the film feeling more like a passion project than anything trying to prove itself, and this nearly always comes across as a strength. Zarab and Mephilas are both extremely fun villains, with the latter's awkward apology to Asami being one of my favorite points of the movie.

Speaking of which, the characters are no small part of the movie having a leg up on the previous installment--the cast of named characters feels far more manageable, and while not everyone gets even focus, we get a nice part-professionals-part-friend-group dynamic with the SSSP. Nothing too three dimensional, but they're all fairly likeable and memorable, which is all one really needs for background characters. Ultraman himself feels somewhat bland at first, but there's definitely a character there; the closest thing he has to an arc is learning what it means to have a buddy, although it feels like the topic's largely dropped once the second half of the film starts up. The movie cleverly frames Ultraman as something of a political scientist, experimenting with human nature through firsthand experience and utilizing the advantages--practical and philosophical--of both states of being.

I'd heard that this was a vast tonal departure from Shin Godzilla, and I honestly... didn't feel that way? It's still grittier and more political than its source, and it occasionally even feels cynical, which is something even Ultraman's edgiest outings (like Nexus or Ultraseven X) didn't manage for me. Here's where the spoiler warning (along with my occasional philosophical ramblings) come in:
Spoiler
I'm unsure how to feel about this take on the Land of Light. For me, Ultraman as a franchise has always implied a goodness or source of hope to contrast the strange terrors the universe has to offer; however, Shin Ultraman's Planet of Light deconstructs not just Earth but the Ultras themselves, which recontextualizes the premise--if the franchise's main allegory for hope was a scam, where does that bring the series' core themes? Seemingly-impossible hope still pays off in the end, but it's more of an abstract concept here; at the end of the day, the universe still comes across as malicious. (In contrast, this year's Ultraman Decker was ostensibly all about hope in the face of an uncertain-at-best, doomed-at-worst future, but the hope there felt far more grounded.) Perhaps Shin reflects an era where it's easy to imagine a good person but not a good society anymore--which can still make for a good movie, and does, but it doesn't feel as Ultraman-y.
I watched the movie with a sibling and a few friends, and they didn't feel this way about the above; my sibling felt similar to myself on first watch but less so this time, and one friend felt it was similar to Ultraman's previous previous darker entries in that it starts looking cynical before showcasing the show's core themes stronger than ever, so some of it might just be me.

Anyway, here's a fun fact: a technical error happened in my theater where they only had the dub, and a failed effort to restore the subbed version caused the screen to go blank for ten seconds, during which we heard nothing but fighting and confused characters saying "It turned invisible!" and "What's going on here?"--when the timing's just right, sometimes problems can be way more fun than everything going smoothly.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

so it WAS you guys! I saw the file pop up a little bit ago and was like 'This CANNOT be them, could it?'. and now you say it IS you. I'm now floored.

in terms of the quality of the subtitles, I don't know if it was the file I downloaded, (and I am watching this on an iPhone 12 pro max) but they could be a little smaller compared to the video itself. for me, the subtitles takes up about a quarter of the screen by themselves. also, I know it's because you sourced from somewhere else apparently, I should mention that there's apparently a little thing above the O in Zoffy's name. like: Zōffy. the Wiki has an explanation as to why that is.

*SMALL EDIT* comparing this release to an recent...ish release (Kamen Rider Saber's Crossover Movie with Zenkaiger) on my laptop, the subtitles are definitely bigger than normal

*ANOTHER SMALL MAJOR EDIT* I will say I didn't download the subtitles directly from here (checking now) and... I apologize. it appears the size has been reduced a little bit. so I guess disregard all that
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'm kind of new at the soft sub thing. I did think the subs were a little big in the qc stage so I did reduce them a bit. Maybe I could have reduced them more?

That said, I don't know if different source videos would cause the subs to get bigger or smaller. Maybe if the sides were cut off and it changed the proportions? Not sure
NeoBoi22
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Type: INFP Healer

Post by NeoBoi22 »

Would you guys (or hopefully Anon) be doing soft subs to Rider/Sentai in the future?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

No, we don't do Toei stuff anymore, can't speak for Anon
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've tried lowering the default text by 10 to see if that helps. Since it's softsubs you can just open it up in notepad or aegisub and adjust the text size as needed

Return to “Misc Ultraman”