My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 23 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.44 of 5 stars (9 votes)

I'm not sure if I mentioned it last week, but Luna figured out Ziin's name:
Ziin/Jiin comes from the Japanese phrase Jiintto (ジーンっと) which means "(being moved) deeply; (feeling) profoundly; (going) straight to one's heart; (moved) to tears?".

Ziin is overpowered from the start lol

Beroba's actress does a good job at constantly doing the taunting laugh

Did they add Buffa and Sparrow back to the Rider opening last week? I just remember them being in the Jamato part

Oh, so there's two vision drivers. Nice security feature. So that means Beroba/Chirami's driver is the same as Girori

the producer's actor is amazing looking

Gotta love Keiwa's frog fan

Nago's supporter has a bunch of creepy flowers

Oh, Kyuun is an easy one. It's the Japanese sound for a heart palpation. Just imagine it as being equivalent to being love struck. So the staff are all eye names. The audience are all emotion names. Interesting. Nago, your supporter is obvious that random dude you met last ep

Chirami's hp is going down along with the glass in his glasses. At this rate, what will happen when he loses all his glass?

Ooh, nice tree trick. That's using your brain, Geats

Had to rewatch Tycoon's move to see what he did. It's a neat idea, separating your combine weapon in battle

I'm so happy that 23 eps in, we're still getting a lot of effort into creating novel and creative fight scenes.

Do you think Beroba distracted Geats on purpose

Buffa's not surprised, since he already knows

Yay! I knew Kekkera's actor would show himself! Love that actor

Some real plot bombs dropped here, in addition to great fights. 5/5 stars for me. Next eps looks like it's in danger of being a clip show though... Anyway, Geats is the treat that keeps on giving.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Geats 23 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

depending on HOW they go about it, I might actually be ok with next week being a clip show. since next week is setting up to be "hey, here's a lore dump." making it a clip show would be one of the less egregious ways to get out a lot of info without it feeling like ALL we're doing is sitting around talking.

having info given as narration over clips means we can get as much lore into the episode as we need to while still having something actually happening on screen, because with how much info we're gonna need to learn, we'd either have to sit down and do nothing but talk for at least 2/3 of the episode, which would feel like a real pace killer, or we'd have to talk, break for a moment to go "hang on, gotta have a fight real quick", then just back to talking which would feel a bit contrived, and they could always have some amount of the clips be new footage. I'd be ok with the audience Riders duking it out while the DGP staff narrates overtop of that.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I do wish Toei would stop with this "Riders named after characters" thing. It made sense for Poppy, it's just lazy when they do it now.

Speaking of which, is Beroba the biggest Rider? Or does J still have her beaten?

So if they're from the far future, are they creating alternate timelines when they grant wishes? And I'm guessing their original timeline is unaffected.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

It bothers me less here with Ziin and Beroba being their themes (the "being moved" and "tongue stuck out face"). It's more annoying when their name is Zack, so they're just Kamen Rider Zack

Guess we won't see much of Kamen Rider Beroba if she's going to straight up nuke everyone when she shows up. And I guess she can't authorize to use the Vision Driver, a pity!
neomonpkmn02
Go Go!
Favorite series: Keitai 7
2nd Favorite Series: KR Ryuki
Dreamy: Kitagawa Keiko
Favorite Actor?: Matsumoto Jun
Favorite Band: BACK-ON
My boom: Magic...
Quote: Smile Smile

Post by neomonpkmn02 »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:59 am Speaking of which, is Beroba the biggest Rider? Or does J still have her beaten?
I want to believe it's the effect of the finisher/technique that made her slightly bigger and bulkier, regardless it's still small compared to J
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Did they add Buffa and Sparrow back to the Rider opening last week? I just remember them being in the Jamato part
Last ep had a a clear distinction of them being in Jamato side, this week's pacing was bit faster.
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Oh, Kyuun is an easy one. It's the Japanese sound for a heart palpation. Just imagine it as being equivalent to being love struck. So the staff are all eye names. The audience are all emotion names. Interesting. Nago, your supporter is obvious that random dude you met last ep
I mean it's kinda a giveaway, hence part of wish it's a red herring.

Hope some questions would be answered next week as we keep getting more questions per episode.
Just your barely qualified hero
Like most people you see everyday, I just existed ~rephrased from Kick Ass
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Well, um, did Beroba's attack kill most of the main cast and the second part of the season will be new actors? Or, will everyone wake up and not remember anything?

And, if this DGP game is over will Geats not be able to transfer his experience/swag to the new game? (In the gaming world, the Indonesian server for the Love Nikki dress up game is currently shutting down and the players will be able to transfer one of the games currencies over to another server but they will not be able to transfer their wardrobes. This is a HUGE rip off since many of the wardrobe items cost real life money.) Maybe Geats will be able to regain his memories of how to play the game when he touches the new game's core id but all of his wishes will be lost and we will see that Geats worked a low level job before he started playing and was kind of a slob?
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Oh, Kyuun is an easy one. It's the Japanese sound for a heart palpation. Just imagine it as being equivalent to being love struck. So the staff are all eye names. The audience are all emotion names. Interesting. Nago, your supporter is obvious that random dude you met last ep
Maybe Kyuun will show up again but pull the Tuxedo Kamen trick and wear a masquerade mask so that Nago does not recognize him? Or, maybe Kyuun is both Nago's and Keiwa's supporters and he helps both because he "ships" them.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

So now we know for sure that the DGP people are from the future, what does this mean about Neon, since her dad is a higher-up? Is she from the future too or half or? And this partially explains the ancient Roman coin we saw Ace flipping in episode 1.

I don't think I've been so invested in a Rider story since Gaim, this is such a good show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Wait, so is Geats really from Roman times... just he's Japanese for some reason?
Lalo
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Lalo »

takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:29 pm Wait, so is Geats really from Roman times... just he's Japanese for some reason?
If his mom is a time-traveler, it would'nt be that weird
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Huh. Well I'll be dipped, the Roman coin wasn't a red herring or production artifact after all. Of the many possibilities I was expecting, "people from the future" was not among them. (Though in retrospect, perhaps I should have expected that with TimeFire's actor being a recurring guest :shock: )

And am I the only one who thinks KR Zinn and KR Beroba look a hell of a lot like Geats and Buffa respectively?
takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:29 pm Wait, so is Geats really from Roman times... just he's Japanese for some reason?
Assuming the old Tsumuri is his mom, then yeah, that technically works. It would mean she was a Japanese woman from the future who did the nasty in the pasty, thus resulting in Ace. Though this does raise the question of who the father is...
HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:59 am So if they're from the far future, are they creating alternate timelines when they grant wishes? And I'm guessing their original timeline is unaffected.
That's the million yen question right now, I reckon. Are they actually changing the world, or are they navigating alternate realities vis-à-vis time travel?

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Next eps looks like it's in danger of being a clip show though... Anyway, Geats is the treat that keeps on giving.
I had been wondering what they would do for next week, since it's the DonBros finale. With DonBros they did a quasi clip show opposite the Revice finale, so I suppose it's to be expected that Geats would do the same opposite the DonBros finale.
Lunagel wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:04 pm I don't think I've been so invested in a Rider story since Gaim, this is such a good show.
Agreed. But they're riding the knife's edge right now. Especially with time travel thrown in, the plot could go sideways in a hurry if the writers are not careful. Throwing more stuff on the heap can only take you so far.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>And am I the only one who thinks KR Zinn and KR Beroba look a hell of a lot like Geats and Buffa respectively?

you know what, I think I had that thought pass through my subconscious, but you mentioning it actually brought it to the surface

>Japanese woman from the future who did the nasty in the pasty, thus resulting in Ace. Though this does raise the question of who the father is...

/me reads that, then again out loud to get the rhyme

>That's the million yen question right now, I reckon. Are they actually changing the world, or are they navigating alternate realities vis-à-vis time travel?

Maybe it's because multi verse is such a big thing in 2022, but I totally thought they were less making new worlds than just finding the parallel universe that meets the winner's desire

If Geat's mom is in the future, then obviously there's no way for his wish to be granted assuming the parallel worlds stay within the same time period

As long as I have the polls on mind: viewtopic.php?p=220702

Takahashi's previous shows:
Ex-Aid: 3.96 (84 votes as of 3/29/18)
Zero-One: 4.02 (43 votes)
Geats (Average for Eps 1-22): 4.42

Raw data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Based on this: https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Rid ... Chronology
which is the poll ratings from the forum votes
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:59 am >And am I the only one who thinks KR Zinn and KR Beroba look a hell of a lot like Geats and Buffa respectively?

you know what, I think I had that thought pass through my subconscious, but you mentioning it actually brought it to the surface
the question I have is, is that intentional in-universe (it's definitely intentional in terms of character design), as in they designed/changed their rider forms to match with who they're supporting, or a coincidence? assuming Keiwa and Neon's sponsors are riders, too, we'll have to see if they're a tanuki and cat. though keiwa's supporter being a frog when he's ninja themed could also work.
>Japanese woman from the future who did the nasty in the pasty, thus resulting in Ace. Though this does raise the question of who the father is...

/me reads that, then again out loud to get the rhyme
that's an old joke from Futurama that Fry says when the Nibblonians talk to him about how he's got special brainwaves that allow him to fight alien brains because of the episode where he went back in time and accidentally became his own grandfather.

"I did do the nasty in the past-y."
>That's the million yen question right now, I reckon. Are they actually changing the world, or are they navigating alternate realities vis-à-vis time travel?

Maybe it's because multi verse is such a big thing in 2022, but I totally thought they were less making new worlds than just finding the parallel universe that meets the winner's desire

If Geat's mom is in the future, then obviously there's no way for his wish to be granted assuming the parallel worlds stay within the same time period
them swapping to alternate universes kinda makes sense, given the infinite nature of a multiverse making it so there's always somehow a reality that allows for the wish being granted to happen without undoing anything that already has (like Geats still being famous after getting his wish that Girori and Tsumuri are his family).

would also explain why you need the ID core to restore people's memories. maybe they're NOT being restored, and it's just that when a wish is granted and they go to a new world, they're only bringing the winner with them and having them replace the version of themselves that already existed here, so everyone else is native to this version of the world, and the ID core connects to a mainframe that contains the memories of events that happen during the DGP, transferring them into someone when they touch any core? since Keiwa's sister got her memory back from his core, not one of her own, then he got it from Ace's and Ace got it from Michinaga's.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>he question I have is, is that intentional in-universe (it's definitely intentional in terms of character design), as in they designed/changed their rider forms to match with who they're supporting, or a coincidence? assuming Keiwa and Neon's sponsors are riders, too, we'll have to see if they're a tanuki and cat. though keiwa's supporter being a frog when he's ninja themed could also work.

That'd make a lot of sense that the supporters picked the animal for their characters in the game. Keiwa's supporter is a frog, that's why he's the frog rider for example

>that's an old joke from Futurama that Fry says when the Nibblonians talk to him about how he's got special brainwaves that allow him to fight alien brains because of the episode where he went back in time and accidentally became his own grandfather.

ooh, I think I've watched that episode too. Been a while though

>would also explain why you need the ID core to restore people's memories. maybe they're NOT being restored, and it's just that when a wish is granted and they go to a new world, they're only bringing the winner with them and having them replace the version of themselves that already existed here, so everyone else is native to this version of the world, and the ID core connects to a mainframe that contains the memories of events that happen during the DGP, transferring them into someone when they touch any core? since Keiwa's sister got her memory back from his core, not one of her own, then he got it from Ace's and Ace got it from Michinaga's.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was too. It's less "we're taking away your wish" so much as, this is a parallel world where you never had the wish, that's why you didn't win the DGP
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Excellent story, great fight scenes. My approval rating for this episode is 200%.

KR Ziin. First fight is... Ok, maybe. I find it slightly lazy because he's fighting less and warping/manipulating reality more to his advantage. Let's see what he offers next

At timestamp 3:01, Beroba actually looks pretty young because of her normal face. If she had this expression at other times, it would've been believable that her actress is so young.

Of course, we won't get to see what Beroba's wish is now... Anyone wanna guess what that could be? Cuz I can't guess....

Upgraded security... It means Beroba has already attempted to gain access to the goddess of creation once before. Huh...

So the game master's vision driver being stolen caused the game to be halted. Would the same thing have happened if the game producer's driver was stolen?

Ace is rude... 😂 He is more concerned about Neon being the Dezastar than the DGP not continuing...

Finally, Ace is bombing the producer with all the important questions.

Even if this area is erased, it still exists somewhere.... Then where exactly is it? Cuz people can still go there. People meaning the Jamato team and the people related to the DGP.

How come Chirami is so willing to answer all the questions? And why did they even hire someone like that to be the game master?

Why is Chirami gesturing towards his chest every time he says "Driver-chan"? He wears it on his waist, though.... 🤣

I like Michinaga as the anti-hero character, but I can't help but feel he is pretty simple sometimes. Revenge and destroying all Riders is all he ever wants... His one-track mind is boring sometimes. I like the twisted characters like Beroba and Daichi better than him, because they're more complex and unpredictable. But that's probably just me...

Why is Kyuun so weird? He isn't directly saying that he is her supporter(not yet, at least). And at their first meeting, he just goes and rebukes her for being the Dezastar. Not that I'm exactly complaining. It's a nice change, but I want some explanation to it. I hope the twist at the end isn't that Kyuun is Neon's true love. That's just ridiculous.... And kinda probable at this point, with all the flowers, the usages of 'beloved' and "my dear", the name 'Kyuun'...

Ziin keeps calling the audience "dimensional tourists"... They travel dimensions too?

Now a glider is a cool thing. So Ziin's best ability is being a literal supporter Rider... 😆

There goes Michinaga again, calling the players' wishes stupid. What is a decent wish, then? Cuz his wish is not a decent one either.

Why did Tycoon's "revolve on" happen horizontally? That's a first iirc.

Wait, this is the first time Neon and Keiwa are meeting Daichi after he was voted off?

23 episodes and we've never seen Ace gravely injured yet... That's too bad... I wanna see Ace get gravely injured soon. 😜

Some concerning looks from Tsumuri... This makes this episode so much more meaningful. Because the other supporting characters overshadow her too often.

People from the far future... How far are we talking here? I'm expecting at least a few millennia...

If the current world is 3.5 dimensional, then how many dimensions is the future world? And where did that extra .5 dimension come from?

I've noticed this a while back, but is Beroba's actress wearing braces that have been painted over with white or something? Cuz closeup shots of her teeth are pretty strange.

So Beroba's suit is total CGI... What a bummer... I was expecting them to at least give her a real suit... And the design isn't great either with the bulkiness and all.

I hope Neon finally finds out who Kyuun is in the next episode.

After the comedy episode came a super serious one. And I loved both. The most engaging Rider season since Build, and this one has the potential to surpass Build, if it maintains the quality till the end.
takenoko wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:15 am Guess we won't see much of Kamen Rider Beroba if she's going to straight up nuke everyone when she shows up. And I guess she can't authorize to use the Vision Driver, a pity!
Yes, I would have liked it better if Beroba got to use the Vision driver to transform. She had the thing the whole time but didn't use it to transform, what a waste.
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Ziin is overpowered from the start lol
Isn't that like the whole tradition for new Rider debuts? The new Rider overpowers everyone else in their debut arcs... And I'm talking about male Riders. They haven't stopped giving the female riders the shorter end of the stick yet. Even Nago barely gets a proper fight scene every episode, and Takahashi Yuya does more justice to female riders compared to the others, as far as I'm aware. But can't comment anything on Geats in this aspect yet, since Geats isn't finished.
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm the producer's actor is amazing looking
It's probably just me, but the first time I saw him, he didn't even seem (fully at least) Japanese to me. That feeling hasn't gone away yet.
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Nago's supporter has a bunch of creepy flowers
Why are they creepy, though?
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Chirami's hp is going down along with the glass in his glasses. At this rate, what will happen when he loses all his glass?
What exactly do you mean by hp in this context?
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Ooh, nice tree trick. That's using your brain, Geats
I have to bat for Geats here. He uses more brain in his fighting than the rest of the Riders, (like the rock attack he used in this episode) anymore than that and he won't exactly be fighting anymore. He'll just be manipulating reality to win the fight like Ziin.
Lunagel wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:04 pm I don't think I've been so invested in a Rider story since Gaim, this is such a good show.
Wow, really? That's like 8 years.... Not even Build? I thought Build was pretty good.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Upgraded security... It means Beroba has already attempted to gain access to the goddess of creation once before. Huh...

Eh, how are you getting that? The way he talks about it, it sounds like some players in previous games tried to get access before. He's not saying it like Beroba was the one who did it. I kind of feel like when he calls the people who broke in yaban, he's talking about people that he think are more primitive like people in the past

>Ace is rude... 😂 He is more concerned about Neon being the Dezastar than the DGP not continuing...

I mean all's fair in love and war. She did try to sabotage them this entire round. Keiwa on the other hand is being a bit too forgiving. Someone with a response somewhere more the middle would have been more realistic, but instead we get these two extremes

>And at their first meeting, he just goes and rebukes her for being the Dezastar. Not that I'm exactly complaining.

I mean it's sort of like rooting for or idolizing somoene and then learning they did a shitty thing

>I hope the twist at the end isn't that Kyuun is Neon's true love. That's just ridiculous.... And kinda probable at this point, with all the flowers, the usages of 'beloved' and "my dear", the name 'Kyuun'...

I doubt it, that'd be super dumb and stalkerish behavior

>Ziin keeps calling the audience "dimensional tourists"... They travel dimensions too?

In this case, the dimension they're crossing is time. Japan is always loose with sci-fi terms

>If the current world is 3.5 dimensional, then how many dimensions is the future world? And where did that extra .5 dimension come from?

Well if 2d is flat, and 2.5d is 2 with a little third dimension interaction. And if fourth d is time. Then 3.5 is 3d but with a little time interaction

>I've noticed this a while back, but is Beroba's actress wearing braces that have been painted over with white or something? Cuz closeup shots of her teeth are pretty strange.

Oh, I thought they were just fucked up Japanese teeth, but you're probably right. Seems like a weird choice when you know this actress is going to be constantly laughing, having food put in it, and getting close ups on it
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 pm Nago's supporter has a bunch of creepy flowers
Why are they creepy, though?

Because she doesn't know who he is, so it's totally one-sided

>What exactly do you mean by hp in this context?

Like a physical representation of HP. Like a meter being drained the more times HP is lost
Wow, really? That's like 8 years.... Not even Build? I thought Build was pretty good.

As the resident Build-hater, no comment lol

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”