Donbrothers Ranger Keys Announced

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Donbrothers Ranger Keys Announced

Post by HowlingSnail »

So this set is weird. Donbrothers keys, but also random past teams? What is their definition for "anniversary"? We have Fiveman (Show 14), Zyuranger (16), Hurricanger (26), Go-Busters (36) and Donbrothers (46). Zenkaiger and Zyuohger would make more sense, and would be actual new keys instead of repeats.

On the plus side, Pteraranger, Tigerranger and the non-Red Fivemen were previously exclusive to expensive late Gashapon sets, and are pretty rare and expensive now. So it'll be nice to get higher quality ones, and for them to be more accessible.

Now give us Kyoryuger-Zenkaiger sets please, Bandai.

(Oh, and Inu Brother in key form is cursed.)
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm
Alignment: Neutral
Type: ENTP Inventor

Re: Donbrothers Ranger Keys Announced

Post by Millsy »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 am
We have Fiveman
That's Goggle V, the sixth.

all the seasons are multiples of ten considering 2022 - 10 years since Goggle, 20 since Zyu etc
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Millsy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:25 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 am
We have Fiveman
That's Goggle V, the sixth.

all the seasons are multiples of ten considering 2022 - 10 years since Goggle, 20 since Zyu etc
So it is. In fairness it's a tiny image and I'd just woken up when I looked at it.

On the assumption they do more keys, I wonder if we can expect this pattern. Kyuranger keys coming with Goranger, Maskman, Megqranger and Gekiranger. Kyoryuger coming with Dynaman, Dairanger and Dekaranger. Kiramager coming with Denziman, Fiveman, Timeranger and Goseiger.

A lot of pre-Gaoranger keys (and a few after) are currently exclusive to rare and expensive Gashapon sets, so I support their rerelease in Memorial sets.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Iirc a lot of the ranger keys were stickered rather than painted versions, so releasing actual painted versions makes sense (though it is clearly a cash grab)
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Lunagel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:29 am Iirc a lot of the ranger keys were stickered rather than painted versions, so releasing actual painted versions makes sense (though it is clearly a cash grab)
Yeah. For reference, the different types of keys are:

DX - Painted chests, metal pin hinges, black between legs is matte paint, logo sticker pre-applied.

Candy - Same as DX except the leg black is a sticker, and you have to apply the stickers yourself.

Gashapon - Different hinges, they come in pieces you have to assemble. Chest stickers. Leg black is glossy paint.

One-Click: A single set they made of gashapon keys with a button to automatically flip the keys.

Premium: The post-show Premium Bandai exclusive sets. So everything from the Go-Bus vs Gokai keys all the way to the Ninninger keys. These are basically gashapon except with painted chests.

Memorial: The newer ones they've been doing for the 10th anniversary. They're like DX keys except with a discreet button to automatically flip them.

Personally I'm happy about it. Non-Red keys from pre-Gaoranger were mostly Gashapon exclusive and are pretty rare/expensive nowadays, so re-releases in a higher quality with making them easier to get is fine by me. But I can see how someone with a full set already would be annoyed.
Seen:
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Inu and Kiji both look wrong here. their heads are, respectively, too big and too small for their bodies, since the bodies were changed to normal human proportions. it's really weird to look at.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 am Inu and Kiji both look wrong here. their heads are, respectively, too big and too small for their bodies, since the bodies were changed to normal human proportions. it's really weird to look at.
The stage show suits are the same. Kiji looks fine, but Inu is an abomination. They've done non-standard keys before. Abare Pink and the Megazords used a non-standard mould, and then the Usada Lettuce and Ene-Tan keys were totally different. Honestly though I'm not sure I'd want a Kiji Brother key that's actually in proportion. That sounds insane.
Seen:
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So my set just turned up, and...there's a problem.

So if you didn't know, Gouraiger, Shurikenger, Go-On Wings and Gosei Knight (as well as Twokaiser now) have their own sounds, rather than saying Hurricanger, Go-Onger, Goseiger or Zenkaiger. That's accurate to the show. However, when they brought out the Gokai Cellular a few months back, they fucked up, and had Shurikenger and Gosei Knight say Hurricanger and Goseiger (But got Go-On Wings right somehow).

Well, they've done it again. Shurikenger and the Gouraigers in this new set have the regular Hurricanger key part, so they say Hurricanger in the new Mobirates. The thing is, the old keys from 2011 do the right sounds. I have the original Shurikenger and Gouraiger keys, and they do the correct sounds in the new Mobirates, it's only these new ones with the problem.

It just amazes me how Bandai continually fucks up their collectors' merch. The Artisan Kiba Changer and SP License both had big "How the hell did that even happen" problems too.

I'm thinking I might be able to open the keys up and swap in the key parts from the old keys, but still, I shouldn't have to. What's funny is Dragonranger, despite not having a unique sound, has a unique key cut and always has. They got it right with him, but not where it actually matters.
Seen:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

What a poor attention to quality control :/ Do you know if they ever issue a recall or replacement when stuff like that goes bad? How do the Japanese react when this happens?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I definitely saw some Twitter users in Japan complaining about the Gokai Cellular fuck-up. I've yet to see Bandai acknowledge it though.

For the SP License and Kiba Changer, they did offer free replacements of the affected parts to anyone who bought one. Dunno if they'll do that here. And I'm sure getting those replacement parts is a pain, considering I had to buy mine through Zenmarket.

I do actually have the original Gouraiger and Shurikenger keys, which have the correct key parts. So I might try opening them up and swapping them into the new keys. You can unscrew the backs so I'm guessing it's possible.

For reference, the problem with the Kiba Changer was that it played the regular Dairanger henshin sound instead of Kibaranger's, and the SP License had the Judgement symbols mirrored.
Seen:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I had an issue with my Gokai Silver figure, it had two left shoulder pads and no right one. I contacted Bandai with pictures and got a replacement, but in this case it's clearly the whole line and not just one individual set
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

For what it's worth, the new keys do actually looked great. I mean, Gold and Silvers actually are gold and silver now, instead of beige and grey.

Seen:
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Alright, so I decided to investigate how possible it would be to swap out the key parts from the old keys to the new ones. I CBA to upload the photo I took, but basically I don't think it's gonna be possible without some sanding/cutting. Basically, the bit of the key inside the body, that you don't normally see, has been made thinner, and had a little bit removed, I'm guessing to accommodate the button that the new keys have to flip them.

You CAN do it the other way though. So you can put a Memorial key part into an old Ranger body. Which isn't what I actually want to do. Sadly I don't have the tools to modify these key parts, so sadly I'm gonna have to stick with just the regular old keys for now so keep the accurate sounds. Not that the old keys were bad, but I wanted the flip gimmick from the new keys!
Seen:

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”