My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 26 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4 of 5 stars (12 votes)

Y'know, Geats does pretty good at using a gun in a melee fight

More reverse imagery

lol, sparrow isn't even playing and you can feel his meddling

Oh, I know colors. The flags on the shrine are the color of the main riders. There's even purple for Buffa

I scrolled backward to see how "badly hurt" Keiwa and Neon were. They're just wrapping their hands in gauze, on my second watch I noticed Tsumuri smack Keiwa's hand as she nursed them lol

Kid, why are you asking why. You're young, not stupid

What actress are they going to hire to be Geat's mom and how young is she going to be and how will theye xplain that lol

Yeah, Keiwa and Neon are super hurt lol. You'd think Neon would be more interested in participating in the festival, since she probably never got to before

Is it normal to have festivals this early, it's not even spring yet. What if it rains? Oh hey Sara, almost didn't notice you there

Here we are on the showdown bridge

What's that red spore? Cordeceps? Not doing a great job at protecting the civilians so far, Geats

Do oni normally have priest staffs with bells? These oni seem cuter than usual, maybe it's the big eyes?

What does the Jamato Buckle even do for Buffa? It doesn't seem like it makes his kicks stronger or anything

What's Geats doing? Summoning Wing Gundam? Also, isn'tthat the goddess statue?

lol, all that and they just call it Boost Part 2

Why's he talking like that?

Oh, he's a transformer

I dunno, maybe it's because the form reminds me too much of Drive Tridoron, but this upgrade didn't impress me. I think it's ugly, and the use of Boost in the first few episodes of Geats were more impressive than how it's used here. Toei, turning into a CGI monstrosity doesn't impress me, quit trying to get away with that

Also, the stakes were kind of silly? Oh no, Geats is by himself, but his friends aren't even bedridden, plus they're at a party for children. Also the mom shows up at the end, so throw all the stakes out the window because they don't exist. Geats is usually a pretty high quality show, so it's just a bit disappointing to get a power-up during an episode that was just okay. I mean, was anyone surprised that Buffa didn't care when fake Tooru died?

Anyway, on to the next arc!

Edit:
Anyway, neat thing about the other wishes. One is by A, A the first man? Adam???
Ace Garfield
Yakumo Ace/Eisu? That's interesting because one famous Yakumo was actually a Greek man who moved to Japan before changing his name. If Ace has been fighting since ancient times, and we're allowing reincarnation to be a factor, then maybe Ace wasn't always Japanese?
Annnd Ace Lee which is obviously a joke on Bruce Lee since they're pronounced similarly in Japanese
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Geats 26 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Oh, hey! John's back! wonder if we'll see Ben again, too. been missing those guys.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:53 pm Why's he talking like that?
assuming you're talking about the weird kinda layered effect on Geats' voice in the new form, my theory, based on having watched only the raw so far, so I don't know with 100% certainty what's going on yet, and spoilered for the sake of anyone who hasn't watched yet:
Spoiler
the other 4 Boost buckles belonged to Ace's past lives (I'm assuming past lives is what Ace's secret is, at least), and the effect on his voice is that each Boost contains some trace of his past self, so that's the sound of all 5 of himself talking at once?
also, another theory I've come up with, but am not super serious about:
Spoiler
what if this time period ISN'T, or at least WASN'T, the last time that Ace reincarnates? what I mean by that is: he pulls this reincarnation stunt again, for as long as he needs to, until he's reincarnated all the way into the far future the DGP people are from... and his new life is a man named Ziin >.>

it'd play well into the whole "kitsune are tricksters" thing if he's tricking even himself by pretending to be someone else, establishing himself as a supporter and stealth mentoring his past life into positions that alter the timeline in ways that might get him what he wanted in the past, so that at least one timeline will be better off than he was. and also, why is Ziin the only supporter rider that doesn't turn into a big CGI animal? because he already did that as Boost Mk. II, or might even do it later if they make further Boost forms, since Mk. II is either a 4 or 5 tailed fox, depending if you count the handlebar as a tail or just the exhaust pipes, so eventually I imagine we'll get a full 9 tailed fox, more than likely as the final form.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Followup question, why did all of the past Ace's write in Japanese?
Spoiler
While Ziin being another Ace would be a funny twist, I doubt it. Since Z is as far from A as possible
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:11 am Followup question, why did all of the past Ace's write in Japanese?
Spoiler
While Ziin being another Ace would be a funny twist, I doubt it. Since Z is as far from A as possible
Same reason why everyone from the future speaks Japanese instead of some future language. Cause let's be real, these guys are from, at minimum, several thousand years in the future, where any 21st century language will be long dead.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

maybe he DIDN'T write in Japanese, and the future people AREN'T speaking Japanese, they just have future technology that auto translates everything written/said/heard into the language(s) of the people involved?

like, all the future people see and hear things in their own language, but all the present day people see and hear Japanese, and if we traveled back to whatever past eras we'd see those other wishes written in the appropriate languages (or wouldn't, because it's also translating for the REAL WORLD audience)?

my theory being based on, a) Doctor Who has auto translation stuff to handwave these kinds of questions away, and b) the DGP participants write their wishes in their own handwriting, then it gets transformed into the same uniform font for everyone. so maybe that's the system showing what it says to the observer, it just doesn't need to translate Japanese into something else, so we still see it in Japanese.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:56 am maybe he DIDN'T write in Japanese, and the future people AREN'T speaking Japanese, they just have future technology that auto translates everything written/said/heard into the language(s) of the people involved?

like, all the future people see and hear things in their own language, but all the present day people see and hear Japanese, and if we traveled back to whatever past eras we'd see those other wishes written in the appropriate languages (or wouldn't, because it's also translating for the REAL WORLD audience)?

my theory being based on, a) Doctor Who has auto translation stuff to handwave these kinds of questions away, and b) the DGP participants write their wishes in their own handwriting, then it gets transformed into the same uniform font for everyone. so maybe that's the system showing what it says to the observer, it just doesn't need to translate Japanese into something else, so we still see it in Japanese.
Hmmm. Maybe. Remember, we're not looking at a card written by the person. The person writes their wish, then it gets changed into that Japanese font used for those cards, so maybe they wrote it in their native language, and since these people are from Neo Tokyo, it google translated it into Japanese?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:31 am
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:56 am maybe he DIDN'T write in Japanese, and the future people AREN'T speaking Japanese, they just have future technology that auto translates everything written/said/heard into the language(s) of the people involved?

Hmmm. Maybe. Remember, we're not looking at a card written by the person. The person writes their wish, then it gets changed into that Japanese font used for those cards, so maybe they wrote it in their native language, and since these people are from Neo Tokyo, it google translated it into Japanese?
that's what I mean, yeah. they write whatever, and then it changes into neater, uniform text. just don't know if it turns it into Japanese for everyone, or if we're just seeing Japanese because this is a Japanese show made for a Japanese audience, and in-universe the future people maybe see and hear future speak, but it translates to Japanese when they talk to Ace, Keiwa, Neon, etc.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Okay, we love our mad cap theories here. What if, it's not that Ace is reincarnated. What if we're back to the multiverse theory. In some worlds, Ace is a Roman guy with a coin. In others, he's Ace Lee, martial artist. The future people aren't time travelers, so much as using the multiverse as their play thing. Maybe Kekera is from a future where the dominant species is frogs? Toei, prove me wrong
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

a thought:

saw someone post a tweet with pictures of Ace, Keiwa, and Michinaga, then Magnum/Boost, Ninja, and Zombie, then each of them in Command form, then Boost Mk. II and two ??? pictures, with the caption "base, upgrade, super."

while it's still up in the air what, if anything, Tycoon and Buffa get for further forms, Geats getting a Boost upgrade, his past selves being tied to more Boosts, and the fact that using Boost with other buckles gets "Buckle name + Boost" for their belt jingles, but Magnum and Boost gets "Get ready for Boost + Magnum!" has me wondering: is Geats' actual main buckle Boost?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That'd make sense seeing as how Boost gives the user a motorcycle that turns into a fox. Something that intrigued by about Boost II is how the boosts created a wheel of fire. If you look at Magnum's design, you'll notice a wheel of comma (magatama) symbols. I know that the Inari fox at one of the temples wear's a necklace of the magatama, but besides both being ancient Japanese symbols, I'm not quite sure how they're associated with each other?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magatama# ... es_(Yayoi)

You can see similar imagery in the game Okami, with the fox running around with a circle of fire or whatever on her back
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:06 pm That'd make sense seeing as how Boost gives the user a motorcycle that turns into a fox.
that's just Geats that gets a fox bike. like the spider phones, the bike is different per user. the phones all get a given Rider's emblem on the non-spider side of what becomes the head, though you can only get Geats' version for the toy (inb4 P-Bandai set of alternate heads for the phone >.> ), and in the first real arc, when the big running bit was each of the main characters getting a turn with the Boost buckle, Buffa and Tycoon's bikes had their emblems, too, and Buffa's even turned into animal mode and had a bull head. You just only have the fox version of the bike available for the toys.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:26 pm
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:06 pm That'd make sense seeing as how Boost gives the user a motorcycle that turns into a fox.
that's just Geats that gets a fox bike. like the spider phones, the bike is different per user. the phones all get a given Rider's emblem on the non-spider side of what becomes the head, though you can only get Geats' version for the toy (inb4 P-Bandai set of alternate heads for the phone >.> ), and in the first real arc, when the big running bit was each of the main characters getting a turn with the Boost buckle, Buffa and Tycoon's bikes had their emblems, too, and Buffa's even turned into animal mode and had a bull head. You just only have the fox version of the bike available for the toys.
JUst found it, in eps 6. Wow, tlak about a blink and you miss it moment. For some reason I assumed the Boost only had the fox alt mode
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was an interesting episode, and I certainly enjoyed it. But the writing did get increasingly implausible at points in order to justify the overall plot.

I was originally worried that Michinaga was going entirely off the reservation, but I'm glad to see he still has some sensibility left to him. Even if he's on Team Jamato, at least he isn't drinking the kool-aid (miracle grow?) and accepting them as human. However there's still going to be a reckoning to come over the fact that he's, you know, helping the bad guys. Given his bravado and latent stupidity, I suspect he thinks he can get his wish and still stop the Jamato at the same time.

Speaking of acting alone, this week was all about Geats. I mean, it's kind of always about Geats to begin with, but this week more than most. And while we definitely learned some interesting things about him, it was kind of a subdued episode for what was going on. I can't help but to shake the notion that he was purposely taking a dive in his fights against Buffa. His damn-near Gary Stu status aside, he's used the Command buckle enough to know exactly what to expect out of it. Enough so that if he can't win, he could at least keep Buffa off-balance so that he doesn't lose.

And then poor Neon and Keiwa get benched hard to make this an Ace-focused episode. That happens in every KR series at some point (you need to get your characters alone for some types of focus), but this was a little more sloppy/forced than most. And as a result the situation never feels particularly desperate, which can be a liability in an episode where you're introducing a major power-up.

I did however like the parallels between Ace and the kid. It was, perhaps, a bit too on the nose. But given how aloof he comes off as at times, it's good to get some proper moments of humanity out of him now and then. And it doesn't hurt that future girl Tsumuri is being forced to go out and experience some humanity, as well, even if it's only because she has nothing better to do.:lol:

Meanwhile, Boost Mk. 2 is a bit of a complex subject. I like the look of the suit, sans the claws on the feet. It feels like a proper Geats upgrade form, which this series has avoided thus far (presumably in a bid to avoid power creep).

The origins, though; man, that's really out there. Ace is the 5th (or later?) reincarnation of himself? How did he know this? How did he know about the previous wishes? Ace's plan requires so much foreknowledge and so many pieces to come together to work, that it's straining credibility a bit. It's better than giving him a power-up just because he's a good boy and he really, really wants it. But it's not perfect.

Giving Ace such a complex (and yet still not completely answered) background has made it a make-or-break plot thread for the series. If Geats doesn't nail the landing and provide an interesting, plausible, and well thought-out story behind his origins and quasi-omnipotence, then it's going to greatly undermine the series as a whole. It's no longer a small part that can be ignored, given that so much of the series is now attached to his origins in some fashion.

Edit: Oh, and the Boost Mark II buckle didn't strike Keiwa! That is completely out of character for a boost buckle!
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:53 pm lol, sparrow isn't even playing and you can feel his meddling
I still want to cut off that pony tail!
I scrolled backward to see how "badly hurt" Keiwa and Neon were. They're just wrapping their hands in gauze, on my second watch I noticed Tsumuri smack Keiwa's hand as she nursed them lol
Why did Tsumuri slap Keiwa, anyhow? That seems like a genuinely mean-spirited thing to do to the guy, given his injuries.
Oh hey Sara, almost didn't notice you there
And I didn't notice her until you said something.
What does the Jamato Buckle even do for Buffa? It doesn't seem like it makes his kicks stronger or anything
I've been pondering that myself. Other than turning him into plant people, it mostly seems to unlock additional attacks for him. Which to be fair, given that he's fighting for Team Tree, it makes some sense that he has some attacks to match.
this upgrade didn't impress me. [...] and the use of Boost in the first few episodes of Geats were more impressive than how it's used here. Toei, turning into a CGI monstrosity doesn't impress me, quit trying to get away with that
Agreed. There were some neat moments, but it quickly devolved into being a whole bunch of CGI. Which is not to say that we didn't get some nice hand-to-hand combat earlier in the episode, so I almost wonder if I'm being greedy. But there's a certain amount of hand-to-hand ass kicking that normally accompanies major new forms to demonstrate their awesomeness that this was lacking.
I mean, was anyone surprised that Buffa didn't care when fake Tooru died?
I was. I thought he had gone full Team Tree at that point.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, now I want to go in the complete opposite direction. If Plant Tooru has his memories and knowledge, is he really that different from the original? Yeah, it's like that black mirror episode, except the guy has perfect memory of the original, so it's not like there would be little mistakes to remind you that it's a fake/replacement
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

takenoko wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:02 am Huh, now I want to go in the complete opposite direction. If Plant Tooru has his memories and knowledge, is he really that different from the original? Yeah, it's like that black mirror episode, except the guy has perfect memory of the original, so it's not like there would be little mistakes to remind you that it's a fake/replacement
I feel like this is a setup to the question of how different is the Jamato from actual humans since like you said, they retain all of their human counterpart's memories? What makes human, human and how is Jamato any different? But knowing Toei, they might just set this up only to never really answer it in the end.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”