Yodonna 3 discussion thread

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Yodonna 3 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Yodonna has such skinny fingers. Oh hey it's Tametomo. Is that his actual hair?

Oh, it's the pirate sister

I don't remember her getting in the emperor's way, didn't he just kill her off to show how cruel he was?

Oooh, new costume tease

Ahh, but I miss Jewel's big headed girlfriend

Oh, so this isn't ZenkaiSilver, that's confusing since they're both in sentai series

Oh, so it's delight and pleasure. Those two in the four kanji were always close together so I've always wondered how a Japanese would translate it
喜怒哀楽 【きどあいらく】 (n) human emotions (joy, anger, pathos, and humor) (humour), (P)

Oh hey, Kamen Rider Girls lol

Blue's acting always makes me laugh. There's something very Tuxedo Mask about his date outfit

Hey another movie by Geoge Spielerton! Sorry James Cameron, you're not famous enough to be parodied even for the movie being parodied

Hey George Karizaki

Tame and his silly sunglasses

Wait, this pattern. Does this mean the date with yellow isn't going to work out?

Oh right, Tame and Shiguru know each other. Must be weird to go see his buddy's movies lol

Aww, her bird pauldrons were the best though. although this outfit is nice too

Blue and Yellow are blind to not see Yodonna

Man, they sure had a lot of outfits for just a half hour thing

I mean, I guess that was a happy ending?? I don't know if I wanted her to end up with Tame, but it did seem like he liked her at least

Edit:
Wait, if Yodonna was going into Miko's mind, how did that not instantly reveal that Miko wasn't who she appeared to be?

Yellow and Blue will be virgins forever

Final segment: The judgement of Sakamoto Koichi
For the crime of putting Mori Hinami in black tights that show off her shapely legs
For having the girls kiss
And putting Yodonna in a skirt that shows off her thighs

I find Sakamoto Koichi guilty of doing Sakamoto Koichi things
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Re: Yodonna 3 discussion thread

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

It's me again. Popping up here and there to complain. :lol: This time my complain is, they finally gave Yodonna a character song and then they didn't even release the studio recording in audio format. And I found the song to not match her character's style. It feels like they couldn't make proper use of having her actress sing a song.
takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:35 pm Oh hey it's Tametomo. Is that his actual hair?
Yes that's his real hair. Kihara Rui went back to his natural black hair last year and even appeared in a drama with it. But then he dyed it again to play Tametomo in this special. And I think it looks worse than it did in the season. :(
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm thinking Anon is going to need to release a V2. I'm still watching their encode, but there's random karaoke starting at 10:20. I think it belongs at the end?
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Love me some Yo Donald. Thanks.

This one was pretty cool. Blue seems to have gotten kinda fat. And the ending said "End" so we know there won't be a fourth. Oh well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:23 pm I'm thinking Anon is going to need to release a V2. I'm still watching their encode, but there's random karaoke starting at 10:20. I think it belongs at the end?
Silly anon, they must have grabbed a Kiramager script for the theme songs and not deleted the opening. The cads
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I have to admit, I wasn't quite as impressed with Yodonna 3 as I was the first two parts. Still, it's always fun to see Yodonna's actress again, as well as the rest of the Kiramager crew for that matter.

Time gaps aside, this special still feels rather different from Yodonna 1 & 2. And I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Yodonna 1/2 was somewhere in between a gangster drama and a buddy cop movie with girls kissing mixed in. When it wasn't drawing on the absurdity of the shared body situation, it was actually pretty serious. Yodonna 3, on the other hrand, is straight up a romcom until the fight at the end. So it's quite aloof most of the time.

Going for such a hard genre switch definitely makes the specials stand apart. But that also means it doesn't get to tap into some of the same strengths as 1/2, such as the grounded stakes that come from fighting human assassins rather than supernatural monsters. I dare say the former was a better fit for Yodonna's personality than the latter. Even after learning about emotions, this was always going to be a character with a hard edge, as that's one of the things that makes her so much fun. But on the flip side, I'm not sure how you'd make a "serious" toku romance special work. Those three concepts/genres are kind of at odds with each other; Toku complements action genres better than it does romance.

I also don't feel like Yodonna and Miko's actresses had particularly good chemistry together, which is kind of a problem for a romcom (even if it does just end in fighting a monster). Yodonna's actress had much better chemistry with Mizuki's actress in Yodonna 1/2 (despite that not even being a romcom), so coming from those specials, the regression ends up being quite noticeable. But again, given the genre switch, I don't think it would have made sense to bring back Mizuki; so they were always going to have to do something new.

On the plus side, it's always fun to see all of your favorites back again. We of course knew that Tametomo would be in this special (how could he not be?!), but it was cool that they also worked Shiguru into this special as well. Thematically that's a very good pairing, since despite his screen presence, we know that Shiguru is lousy at romance. I was a bit surprised by just how much screen time he got as well; it was on par with Tametomo despite the fact that he's very much a supporting character. Alas, I think Tametomo was handed a small idiot ball for this special; he's normally better composed than what we saw here. Yodonna is his weak point, but he shouldn't be quite so much a wreck on a date with someone who isn't Yodonna.

I'm kind of on the fence about the ending of this special. Pairing up Yodonna and Tametomo would have been the obvious route to go. So I appreciate the subversion by going with Yodonna + Miko (though I suppose I should have expected it given Sakamoto), and then the double-subversion given that it was all a rouse in the end. However that means Yodonna doesn't end up with anyone in the end, which besides being at odds with the romcom genre, kind of makes this a wasted opportunity overall. Even this special made it clear that there's a bit of mutual affection between Yodonna and Tametomo - it's not just a one-sided pursuit - so having nothing come of that is a bit of a bummer.

As for the action, it's clear that this was a lower budget affair than Yodonna 1/2. There were no real set piece fights here; virtually everything was shot in public locations or simple sets. And while we did get some brief stunt fighting by a couple of the actors, we didn't get the kind of complex choreography that we know Sakamoto can do when he's left to his own devices. In a way it feels like something closer to an episode of the series than it does the previous specials.

Still, I'm glad this was made. Having Yodonna 1/2 end on a soft cliffhanger was a bummer, so I'm glad we're getting some closure here. If Yodonna can avoid beating up half of Tokyo, everything should turn out okay.:lol:

Side observations:
  • Was the MOTW costume a kitbash of some kind? Bits of it look familiar, but I can't place it as any specific monster.
  • I find it amusing that they filmed a valentine's movie during what was very obviously Christmas, only for it to be released closer to St. Patrick's Day. Clearly, it was a sign that Tametomo isn't getting lucky.:lol:
  • Hey, another Krunchy repaint! I'm not sure who the suit actor is here, but it's clearly not the same one as last time.
  • "Pardon the intrusion" is unusually polite for Yodonna.
takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:35 pm Ahh, but I miss Jewel's big headed girlfriend
It's kind of weird, but I do, too? Besides the chemistry aspect, the characters' personalities (in short, mean girls) also played off of each other really well.
Hey another movie by Geoge Spielerton! Sorry James Cameron, you're not famous enough to be parodied even for the movie being parodied
I'm half-way impressed that they're keeping up with a 10 year old joke! Granted, it helps that the director is the person who played said faux-director.
Agreed. Yodonna's original outfit is iconic. I have nothing to complain about with the new outfit, but at the same time, we only saw it for less than 2 minutes. So I'm not quite sure what the point was?
Blue and Yellow are blind to not see Yodonna
Which is a bit out of character for Tametomo, I suppose. He's always been the one to pick up on Yodonna pretty much right away.
Man, they sure had a lot of outfits for just a half hour thing
Right? They went through quite a few outfits for this special: Yodonna as the booth vendor, Miko as Lara Crfauxt, the obvious Harley Quinn, schoolgirls (because of course), date night. It's a lot of costume changes for a 30 minute special. Someone was clearly having fun dressing up the actresses there. :lol:
Meanwhile pink is drowning in ladies. Now there's a thought: it's a shame they didn't get Pink's actress for this. Tametomo losing Yodonna to her would have been a riot.:lol:
I find Sakamoto Koichi guilty of doing Sakamoto Koichi things
And I wouldn't have it any other way! (seriously, a whole 3 part special focused on Yodonna has been a blast!)
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:27 am It's me again. Popping up here and there to complain. :lol: This time my complain is, they finally gave Yodonna a character song and then they didn't even release the studio recording in audio format. And I found the song to not match her character's style. It feels like they couldn't make proper use of having her actress sing a song.
I was surprised as well when this special reached the OP, especially since Yodonna 1/2 didn't have one. Though I have to agree I'm not sure if the character song fits; the lyrics are on point, but the overall beat and tone are a bit bubbly for the dark crow.
takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:35 pm Oh hey it's Tametomo. Is that his actual hair?
Yes that's his real hair. Kihara Rui went back to his natural black hair last year and even appeared in a drama with it. But then he dyed it again to play Tametomo in this special. And I think it looks worse than it did in the season. :(
Also agreed there. If they couldn't match his hair color during the series, they probably should have left it his natural color. Tametomo as a towhead is very jarring.
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Yodonna's actress had much better chemistry with Mizuki's actress in Yodonna 1/2 (despite that not even being a romcom), so coming from those specials, the regression ends up being quite noticeable. But again, given the genre switch, I don't think it would have made sense to bring back Mizuki; so they were always going to have to do something new.

Yeah, her character was sorely missing from this special. Nothing against ZenkaiSilver, but it just felt like she was doing that character but with more cosplay

>Even this special made it clear that there's a bit of mutual affection between Yodonna and Tametomo - it's not just a one-sided pursuit - so having nothing come of that is a bit of a bummer.

Stay tuned for Yodonna 4, the quest for more gold, coming 2030

[*] Was the MOTW costume a kitbash of some kind? Bits of it look familiar, but I can't place it as any specific monster.

I was confused too, but these new mooks are a new batch of repainted monsters. I guess to show the story has continued on despite everything being more or less resolved in the Kiramager universe
Agreed. Yodonna's original outfit is iconic. I have nothing to complain about with the new outfit, but at the same time, we only saw it for less than 2 minutes. So I'm not quite sure what the point was?

Sakamoto "I don't see enough thighs. Can we put her in a new skirt for a two minute fight scene?"
Meanwhile pink is drowning in ladies. Now there's a thought: it's a shame they didn't get Pink's actress for this. Tametomo losing Yodonna to her would have been a riot.:lol:

Although it is kind of nice to see blue and yellow get some focus. They were pretty underused in the main series. And blue didn't even get to do his famous vise gag. What a breakthrough!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:38 pm
[*] Was the MOTW costume a kitbash of some kind? Bits of it look familiar, but I can't place it as any specific monster.
I was confused too, but these new mooks are a new batch of repainted monsters. I guess to show the story has continued on despite everything being more or less resolved in the Kiramager universe
The mooks aren't even repaints for the most part, other than Krunchy the Third. They're straight-up the same MOTWs, which is what they're supposed to be since they're awaiting judgement to get to heaven.

I suspected Hanidora was a kitbash to keep costs down. But thumbing through the wikis, i can't identify any constituent parts. So I guess it is a new suit, though we've certainly seem some of the design elements before.

Sakamoto "I don't see enough thighs. Can we put her in a new skirt for a two minute fight scene?"
I'm not sure if the director is making calls like that. But if he is... yeah, that would check out.:lol:
And blue didn't even get to do his famous vise gag. What a breakthrough!
Come to think of it, Yodonna never did her tongue expression either.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I was confused too, but these new mooks are a new batch of repainted monsters. I guess to show the story has continued on despite everything being more or less resolved in the Kiramager universe[/quote]The mooks aren't even repaints for the most part, other than Krunchy the Third. They're straight-up the same MOTWs, which is what they're supposed to be since they're awaiting judgement to get to heaven.

I'm pretty sure Instant Glue Jamen is a new one. The previous ones were Secchakuzai and Super Glue
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:11 pm I'm kind of on the fence about the ending of this special. Pairing up Yodonna and Tametomo would have been the obvious route to go. So I appreciate the subversion by going with Yodonna + Miko (though I suppose I should have expected it given Sakamoto), and then the double-subversion given that it was all a rouse in the end. However that means Yodonna doesn't end up with anyone in the end, which besides being at odds with the romcom genre, kind of makes this a wasted opportunity overall. Even this special made it clear that there's a bit of mutual affection between Yodonna and Tametomo - it's not just a one-sided pursuit - so having nothing come of that is a bit of a bummer.
I think it's fine that Yodonna didn't end up with anyone in the end. If she and Tametomo hooked up, it doesn't feel right to me especially after Yodonna reviving. Her not immediately choosing shows that she can wait for the right person to love. Also she clearly lean towards women than men.

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”