My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 28 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.3 of 5 stars (10 votes)

That was close. He was nearly an Ace sandwich! But seriously, it's unlike Ace to leave himself so vulnerable. What if Keiwa and Neon hadn't appeared out of nowhere to save him?

Appreciation for the little corruption to the opening for the Jamato grand prix

Oda Nobunaga. Is this just the writer's fanboying for the sengoku era?

If Ace's lie about being Roman is true, why does his mother speak Japanese? "I foudn thsi roman coin each time"

Fuku's doing a great job playing the part of an alien future man learning about emotions and death for the first time

Geats looks great as a samurai man

lol, gotta love how the gun matches with the boost handle to make it look like a gun

the face doesn't totally work, but I like the way the white and blue works with the reds. Looks like he's lost his super speed, but gained a lot of brute strength

Alright! That Glare 2 vs Laser Boost was a pretty fun melee

Oh Beroba survived that? Of course she did

Music??

Did they run out of money to pay Fuku to cameo? lol

Fun power up fight with a reasonably cool (if short) battle. Wish we could have cut Niramu's fight to give Neon more swashbuckling action. Her fighting was the most interesting since it's not as flashy as Keiwa's backwards stance and Geats was going to get most of the focus of the episode anyway

Speaking of which, I don't want to tell you how to do your sengoku battling, but there's a reason why the general would lead from the castle. Beroba impatiently going in and basically almost losing their trump card was supremely bone-headed. ALso, where were Bishop and Buffa during this fighting? Buffa is visibibly absent, probably waiting for the opportunity to snatch the Vision Driver from her

Really surprised Micchi didn't just smash the goddess statue. If he really hates the Riders/DGP that much, that would do as much to destroy them as physically doing it. (But he secretly wants power)
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Geats 28 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

Bet you 5 bucks the goddess is actually Ace's mom
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 pm Bet you 5 bucks the goddess is actually Ace's mom
I feel like I've had that thought since we found out there was a goddess lol

Edit:
Hmmm, the writing for this episode is better than I thought when just watching the raw. I don't know how much talking about mortality would ring true for the kid/teen audience, but that's some heady stuff. Points to Takahashi for that
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

It's always nice when they use the secondary Rider stuff in the main belt, and vice versa. Same with 6th Rangers. You can usually do it with the toys, but it's rare that it happens on-screen. Paradox getting a Gamer Driver and uses his Gashat Gear in that is the only other major example I can think of.

In fact, as I have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon:

I believe there's some cross-compatibility between Fuestles in Kiva.

The original Diend Driver literally didn't have a card reader, it just cycled between a few sounds. The original Decade Driver was also fairly underwhelming. The CSM ones do work together though.

Regular Gaia Memories in the Accel Driver sound all wrong because the sounds aren't timed properly. But if you use Accel in place of one of Shotaro's memories, you can do stuff like Cyclone Accel and it sounds mostly okay.

The Birth Driver doesn't read Medals. Cell Medals in the OOO Driver say (Animal) Gin.

Fourze Driver reads Meteor just fine as any other Circle Switch, the sounds are more like a Legend Rider one. Even works in the Barizun Sword. Elec and Fire work just fine in the Meteor Driver, all others say "Switch On Ready?".

Beast Driver can't read Wizard's Rings at all, since Beast's Rings use a pin system, not the scanner. Beast's Rings do scan in the Wizard Driver though. They all say "Beast Please/Now" then play the animal noise, except for his Plamonster and maybe Chimerise, which have proper sounds. Most of Wiseman's rings say "The Origin" in the Wizard Driver. Except Teleport and Holy, those have proper sounds. Oh, and the Shiroi Mahoutsukai Driver doesn't have a sound for the Christmas ring.

Energy Lockseeds are mostly fine in the Sengoku Driver. They're designed so the knife can hit a latch which opens them up. Sounds wise after the chop you'll get a few moments of juice filling before the arms noise. Regular Locks in the Genesis Driver are bad. They don't open, and the sounds play instantly, so they're fighting with the juice noise for dominance. They all trigger "Liquid", rather than "Soda".

Signal Mach actually shares pins with Drive Type Next, so that's what it does in the Drive Driver. Chaser is Type Get Next. The Signal Koukans are "Tyre Koukan: Next 01/02 etc". Shift Cars in the Mach Driver have full sounds. So Max Flare says "Shift Car! Tyre Koukan! Moeru!".

Any Eyecon other than Necrom's 3 in the Mega Ulorder just triggers "Ghost", since his Eyecons have special extra pins that the main ones don't have. Grimm and Sanzo work as normal in the Ghost Driver. Necrom triggers its own jingle, and like every other Eyecon like that, the timing is horrible. Seriously, Bandai, CSM Ghost Driver please to fix all the problems with that toy.

Gashats have their own sounds, and for the most part all work fine in anything you put them in. Nothing really to say.

The Sclash Jellies share the same pins as the regular Dragon and Robot Full Bottles, so you can use those in the Sclash Driver and you'll get the normal Claws Charge/Grease henshins. The Sclash Jellies however don't really fit in the Build Driver properly. Any other Bottle does the same generic sounds you hear in the show.

Miride Watches are mostly fine in the Ziku Driver, although they're gonna sound a bit weird as it's the normal Woz jingles.

Technically you can use ordinary Progrise Keys in the Thousand Driver, but there's no way to authorise them, so if you insert one it'll just do the "Grasshopper's Ability" noise. If you do authorise it first though, it'll do the normal Zero-One Driver noises. You can use Thouser's key on the other drivers and it works fine after being authorised.

Dunno enough about the Saber or Revice toylines to comment.

In terms of Sentai:

Engine Souls all have self-contained sounds, so if an Engine works in one thing, it'll work in all of them.

Gosei Knight's cards say something along the lines of "New Power" in the Tensouder. He has codes for most regular Gosei Cards, so you can do things like "Explosion! Knightick Power!".

Gokai Silver in the Mobirates does the "Gokaiger?" from the HBV.

Pteragordon behaves like any other Zyudenchi in the Gaburevolver. ALL of the main Zyudenchi have henshin noises in the Gaburevolver, even the Guardians. Same with it behaving as normal in Gabutyra and Minityra. Nothing else has a Zyudenchi reader.

Build Ressha in the ToQ Changer will actually do a ToQ 6gou henshin, and a norikae change to "Builder", rather than "Orange". Appli Changer has no reader.

All of Star Ninger's sounds are in his Shuriken, the changer has nothing. So using any other Shuriken in his burger is a mess of random sounds. I think it's sort of okay using Starninger in the Ninja Ichibantou.

Every Kyutama has a henshin sound in the Seiza Blaster. Houou and Ryu's changers have no readers, they just play a single sound when you insert a Kyutama.

Not sure if you can put X's trains in the VS Changer and I CBA to look it up.

Neither changer in Ryusoulger has a reader, it's all in the sword.

I don't think Twokaiser's changer has a proper reader, it can just recognise the couple he uses. Dunno what Twokaiser does in the regular changer.

Don't have any of Jirou's stuff for Donbrothers. I know the 6th Ranger gears just do the regular team sounds though.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

This episode is deep. Learning how to deal with the emotion regarding death is never ever an easy topic. Ziin did a good job portraying the confuse and uncertain feelings of a person who's experiencing it the first time.

Ace genuinely wants to help the people around him, as he guided Ziin through his troubled feelings like he did with Keiwa and Neon before.

The future sounds dystopian boring. Your whole life is planned out for you and you don't have any say in it, just follow it step by step. No matter they need games like the DGP to keep entertained.

We finally learned Ace's secret, and so did everyone else by eavesdropping.

The upside down Geats ID core turned back upright after the Laser Boost suit was equipped.

It's a good use of the OP as background music. It hyped up the scene so much.

Both Tsumuri and Niramu got to see some action. Will Samasu get a chance to fight at some point as well?

Best buddies:
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That was a fun episode, just what I was expecting coming from episode 27 (and the preview for this one).

I wasn't seriously expecting either side to lose their driver at this point (save that for a bit later, to further raise the stakes), but more surprising, I wasn't expecting Zinn to bow out. If anything, I figured he would be sticking around for a long while. And while I imagine he'll be back at some point, leaving to find himself is certainly an unexpected twist (and as everyone else has noted here, it's fairly deep subject matter, all things considered).

Still, am I the only person who finds the whole thing a bit sudden? Because it's a twist, it wasn't setup in an especially opaque manner in the previous couple of episodes. I get how we got from points A to B to C, but it does feel like we were speeding the whole way there. Though if nothing else, I suppose it provides a convenient excuse to not have him around fighting alongside Geats all the time.

Though what was up with the staticy shots of Zinn while Beroba's bullet was heading for Ace? It's not like Zinn himself was becoming staticy; rather we were suddenly seeing him differently. It was kind of neat, but I don't get what that was supposed to signify to the viewer.

Now for the bonus question: given that Beroba also has a Laser Raise Riser, are we going to see Buffa pull something similar? It doesn't have to go that way, since he has the Vision Driver and Glare 2 has proven to be very powerful. But there's a certain symmetry there I expect them to exploit.

As an aside, kudos to Beroba's actress for this episode. Her character thus far has been, while not quite one note, very confident and sure of herself. So it was interesting to see her vulnerable and with her guard down there when Buffa recused here, if only for a moment before she got her 350 year old ( :lol: ) composure back.

The action for this episode also hammered home how much of a better job Kamen Rider is doing with its fight choreography than Super Sentai right now. It's kind of an unfair comparison since this is a Sakamoto-directed episode, but it's hard not to draw comparisons given that both shows were set in feudal Japan-themed locations this week. Geats gave us a beautiful sword fight with the actors, followed by a hand-to-hand fight with some excellent sweeping handicam shots. Meanwhile all King-Ohger gave us was ADHD. The shows of course need to have some meaningful differences, but right now the quality of the fight scenes are not even close.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:43 pm That was close. He was nearly an Ace sandwich! But seriously, it's unlike Ace to leave himself so vulnerable. What if Keiwa and Neon hadn't appeared out of nowhere to save him?
It's certainly one of the few times that we've not seen Ace at least appear to be in complete control. Obviously they needed to setup the Laser Boost solution, but at the same time, I think it goes to show that Ace's hand was forced there. It's not like he would have won his previous fight without Boost Mark 2. The only really questionable decision was then leaving the base while he was still recovering.
lol, gotta love how the gun matches with the boost handle to make it look like a gun
TV production aside, every now and then Bandai shows that they can still come up with some good ideas.
the face doesn't totally work, but I like the way the white and blue works with the reds. Looks like he's lost his super speed, but gained a lot of brute strength
It looks like a heavier version of Magnum Geats, which thematically makes sense. But given that all of his forms thus far have used the same face design, I agree it's a bit jarring.
Music??
When's the last time we had the second verse of a KR OP used anywhere within an episode? That definitely stands out, especially as I've never heard the longer version of the OP before.
Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 pm Bet you 5 bucks the goddess is actually Ace's mom
I spent a good moment debating if I want to take that action. But no, I think I'm just going to be out 5 bucks. :shock: There have been too many subtle hints to disregard that possibility.
Yaiba wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:57 pm Best buddies:
Okay, that legitimately cracked me up. :lol:
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Though what was up with the staticy shots of Zinn while Beroba's bullet was heading for Ace? It's not like Zinn himself was becoming staticy; rather we were suddenly seeing him differently. It was kind of neat, but I don't get what that was supposed to signify to the viewer.

> I think it's the physical manifestation of the fear and pain that Ziin is feeling at that moment, that the emotion is so overwhelming when he finally understood the concept of death for the first time.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I think that we will get a Super Sentai team of female riders this season. Pink and Yellow are already canon. Tsumuri proved last week that she can fight so she should be White. Beroba should be the morally ambiguous sixth ranger, a purple. Since Sara continues to hang out, when the DSP game gets back on track she should be blue. And finally, Samasu should be the OP Red being the secret power behind the producer. (And, if they need guys on their team then the two Neon bodyguards should be Silver and Gold.)

Rider Sentai DGPgers?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Yaiba wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:53 am Though what was up with the staticy shots of Zinn while Beroba's bullet was heading for Ace? It's not like Zinn himself was becoming staticy; rather we were suddenly seeing him differently. It was kind of neat, but I don't get what that was supposed to signify to the viewer.

> I think it's the physical manifestation of the fear and pain that Ziin is feeling at that moment, that the emotion is so overwhelming when he finally understood the concept of death for the first time.
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks!
kabuto243
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by kabuto243 »

Yaiba wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:57 pm

Best buddies:
Love this image! I wish Fuku Suzuki didn't have to leave for another show. I hope he comes back soon. I really like the dynamic between his character and Ace.

I didn't feel like there was a much character growth or interaction maybe would be the better word for it when we had Neon and Keiwa interacting with Ace. I felt like the scene in episode 27 both times when Ziin interacted with Keiwa and Neon and not just Ace really...improved the characters and story. I felt like Neon and Keiwa had gotten a little bland their not really questioning anything or growing. We haven't seen much of the other supporters. I am curious about them revealing themselves soon to Keiwa and Neon and what their dynamic's will be like. Though now that Ace's supporter is gone, if they get the DGP back even if they don't will Ace need a new supporter?

Not much either with Tsumuri. Since the DGP is cancelled and their facing the Jamato DGP is Ace still living with Tsumuri? I miss her dynamic with Ace.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:47 am Technically you can use ordinary Progrise Keys in the Thousand Driver, but there's no way to authorise them, so if you insert one it'll just do the "Grasshopper's Ability" noise. If you do authorise it first though, it'll do the normal Zero-One Driver noises. You can use Thouser's key on the other drivers and it works fine after being authorised.

Actually, there is a way to authorize regular Progrise Keys in the Thousand Driver. It's finicky, but at the top of the belt there are three slots that I think are the main speaker for the unit. Right around that is something that will trigger the RFID inside the Progrise Key if done just right. The Key won't make any noise, but its internal light will start blinking just as if you had scanned it with the Zero-One Driver.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:09 pm
HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:47 am Technically you can use ordinary Progrise Keys in the Thousand Driver, but there's no way to authorise them, so if you insert one it'll just do the "Grasshopper's Ability" noise. If you do authorise it first though, it'll do the normal Zero-One Driver noises. You can use Thouser's key on the other drivers and it works fine after being authorised.

Actually, there is a way to authorize regular Progrise Keys in the Thousand Driver. It's finicky, but at the top of the belt there are three slots that I think are the main speaker for the unit. Right around that is something that will trigger the RFID inside the Progrise Key if done just right. The Key won't make any noise, but its internal light will start blinking just as if you had scanned it with the Zero-One Driver.
Progrise Keys don't use RFID, it's a magnet. You can rub 2 Progrise Keys together and they'll authorise each-other. When all we had was Flying Falcon as the Zi-O movie tie-in, people were using the Den-O Pass to authorise it.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:48 am
Kamen Rider Gumo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:09 pm

Progrise Keys don't use RFID, it's a magnet. You can rub 2 Progrise Keys together and they'll authorise each-other. When all we had was Flying Falcon as the Zi-O movie tie-in, people were using the Den-O Pass to authorise it.
My mistake on that detail; but the technique still works.
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:47 am
In fact, as I have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon:
That's cool, thanks for the rundown!
I always enjoy what they do with the gimmick implementations in the toys, since a) the show's gimmick is based on the toy's gimmick that (i.e. it must first be kinda cool irl before they make a part of the show) and b) engineering is cool :)

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”