King-Ohger 05 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:38 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
46%
☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆
15%
☆☆
No votes
8%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 05 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 3.67 out of 5 (12 votes)

Gira's laught is like the laugh from FF10

I'm seeing credits, so maybe no opening this week?

That flame is white, that's like a ghost flame. Is that even warm?

We see Rita plunge her sword to her side, but it's gone in the next scene and then it's on her back. It's pretty rare to find such an obvious continuity goof that even I spotted it

Looks like Rita has two colored eyes. What's that mean?

Suitably cool introduction to Paipillon-ohger. I wonder if they're ever like "Fix Rita's hair, we can accidentally see her right eye"

First prisoner looks kind of like Kaidou

Cute toy. This is probably the best thing in the show so far

What if everyone gets covid except Rita. Racles is always such a sweaty looking dude

I feel like this prison violates human rights

Did the audio get cut off wrong during rita's pre cm scream? Also, I hope that's not going to continue to be a thing? It's kind of annoying

This court and jury are all kings? What kind of court is this?

Oh, so Racles and Gira are brothers? That was... an easy reveal

Doctor Queen can run DNA tests. Oh, that's why they got his hair

Did we meet this girl before? I don't remember all these kids, I wonder if they were actually there. Good thing Gira's one skill is to befriend kids

Wait, why is Tofu king here? Wouldn't he and Gira still have beef?

Wait, did Rita just take Racles sword back?

Ski-ohger

Rita pilots... the sword? Cool finisher

That was fun. Probably the best episode so far with character payoffs and Rita being one of the more interesting rulers. We finally know Gira's identity and there's an ongoing race to get all the Great Guardian Gods (although with only one still up in the air, it's probably not going to last much beyond the next mini-arc)

Things are still pretty awkward and cringey, but seeing the different rulers interact was fun at least

Edit:
Do they have a different wig for Himeno in the sponsor footage for next week?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: King-Ohger 05 discussion post

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:38 pm Gira's laught is like the laugh from FF10
I was thinking the same thing. "bad, forced laugh" for emphasis and all.
based on the colors flames turn as they got hotter, a white flame would be the hottest possible, iirc.
We see Rita plunge her sword to her side, but it's gone in the next scene and then it's on her back. It's pretty rare to find such an obvious continuity goof that even I spotted it
not a goof. Rita's sword was strapped to their back the entire time. the one to their side was Gira's sword, wrapped up in chains so it couldn't be used.
Did the audio get cut off wrong during rita's pre cm scream? Also, I hope that's not going to continue to be a thing? It's kind of annoying
seemed that way. I thought my audio was borked until I realized it was the CM cut, and that probably happened intentionally.
Oh, so Racles and Gira are brothers? That was... an easy reveal
I don't know that I expected brothers. my guesses would've been either a) Gira was the real royal and Racles was a pretender to the throne who swapped places with him, or b) Gira ISN'T royal by blood, but his nature is so kingly, compared to the corrupt Racles, that by divine right of kings Gira is more deserving and would found a new royal line.

I DO like that part of what gave Rita the idea to check was Gira having ever had a chance to have "fancy rich person snack" that no orphan should've, and that that's why Rita was investigating kitchen records last episode. I was wondering what the food could possibly have to do with anything, and would've guessed it was more about proving Racles' wrongdoing with regard to negotiations with Tofu.
Did we meet this girl before? I don't remember all these kids, I wonder if they were actually there. Good thing Gira's one skill is to befriend kids
dunno about the kid in Himeno's country (would have to double check) but I definitely remember the tech country girl because Gira was giving her a ride on his shoulders during the Hack Off.

EDIT:
there's an ongoing race to get all the Great Guardian Gods (although with only one still up in the air, it's probably not going to last much beyond the next mini-arc)
actually, thinking about it, there's a mural of the three great gods above Racles' throne, and also in the Bugnarok HQ. they don't linger on it long enough on Racles' and the Bugnarok one looked a bit broken at the bottom to try and obscure it, but if we assume the shape inbetween all three great gods is King-Ohger, then there's another shape below it that could be a fourth great god, or even a whole other mech.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

based on the colors flames turn as they got hotter, a white flame would be the hottest possible, iirc.

Oh, in Elden Ring white flame is like made from dead bodies and is basically ghost flame. It also induces the cold status
not a goof. Rita's sword was strapped to their back the entire time. the one to their side was Gira's sword, wrapped up in chains so it couldn't be used.

Ooh, good catch!

>I don't know that I expected brothers. my guesses would've been either a) Gira was the real royal and Racles was a pretender to the throne who swapped places with him, or b) Gira ISN'T royal by blood, but his nature is so kingly, compared to the corrupt Racles, that by divine right of kings Gira is more deserving and would found a new royal line.

I totally thought A would be the case. Mostly because we haven't seen Racles use any of the Ohgercalibur or mecha, so assumed he was a pretender

>I DO like that part of what gave Rita the idea to check was Gira having ever had a chance to have "fancy rich person snack" that no orphan should've, and that that's why Rita was investigating kitchen records last episode

It is weird that she had the thought to do this in the last episode, and yet at the beginning of this episode was thinking Gira was guilty

>I was wondering what the food could possibly have to do with anything, and would've guessed it was more about proving Racles' wrongdoing with regard to negotiations with Tofu.

The weird thing about the investigation was seeing the mention of the food from ten years ago. Did they stop making it or something? If it's like the royal family jello, why bother giving it a name at all?

>actually, thinking about it, there's a mural of the three great gods above Racles' throne, and also in the Bugnarok HQ. they don't linger on it long enough on Racles' and the Bugnarok one looked a bit broken at the bottom to try and obscure it, but if we assume the shape inbetween all three great gods is King-Ohger, then there's another shape below it that could be a fourth great god, or even a whole other mech.

I'll have to check that out the next time we see the great mural of future merch
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Racles has been dragging that golden one-lock sword around a few episodes now, I think we'll get to see him use it next episode.

I like Rita's detective skills. Rita finding out the jelly was royal food didn't proof anything, some royals could have given Gira the food. What seals the deal was Yama telling her only someone worthy of King can break the lock to use the Ohgercaliber. So she proceed to do a dna test. And she went to each kingdom to get testimonies. That's a more thorough investigation than sentai would usually do, which is usually just asked the first person they bumped into on the street. Her screaming was annoying though, hope that's one of the things they'll drop after a few episodes.

The Nkosopa kid was the one Gira gave a piggyback ride, the Isabaana kid was the one that got a new house after his house blown up, the Tofu kid was the one he ate that dirt-covered vegie. Nice call backs.

There were 4 people in the room when the location of the Three Gods was mentioned, and one of them told the Bugnarok. Or not, maybe there really was a fifth bug in the room. I really hope the traitor was not Kaguragi because that would be way too obvious.

Full team henshin is cool. I missed it so much.

===========================

Fun fact:

The reason the fighting choreography style of King-Ohger feels different is because they've got a new Action Director this year. Watanabe Jun has replaced Fukuzawa Hirofumi (who had been directing for the past 10 years) as the Action Director for this show.

Some background on them. Both of them were suit actors who had played various roles ranging from grunts to monsters to main characters.

Fukuzawa Hirofumi was more active in the Sentai series. He started around Tuboranger (1989), notable roles were being all the Reds from GaoRed (2001) to GokaiRed (2011), except MagiRanger he was MagiGreen. He then moved on to being the Action Director for Go Busters (2012) to Don Brothers (2022).

Watanabe Jun was more active in the Kamen Rider series. He started around Ryuki (2002), and had played various second/third/supporting Rider roles. King-ohger is his first attempt as an Action Director.
Notable roles are:
- KR Hibiki (2005): Todoroki
- KR Kabuto: Sasword, Dark Kabuto,
- Go-onger: Go-on Gold
- KR Decade: Ryuki, Faiz, Kaiza, Agito, G3, Gills, Kabuto, TheBee, Punch Hopper, Todoroki, Dark Kiva, Lance
- KR W: Nasca Dopant
- KR Wizard: Beast, White Wizard
- KR Gaim: Zangetsu, Bravo
- KR Drive: Mach
- KR Ghost: Specter
- KR Ex-aid: Brave
- KR Build: Rogue, Night Rogue
- KR Saber (2020): Saber
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Yes, Yellow has a different wig next week. Maybe they're gonna do it like Astronema in PR In Space where she changes wigs every few episodes. Maybe at one point they'll let Erica show her actual hair. As it is, the cast are basically unrecognisable out of costume.

Rita's the first female Ranger in a decade to have a male main suit actor. Everyone since Kyoryu Pink has been a girl.

I enjoyed this more than last week, but that's probably down to watching in a somewhat better mood. Now the team is assembled, hopefully we can get on with some plot.

I'm wondering when we're gonna get to proper Earth. I can't imagine they can keep up all these fantasy lands forever, even Kyuranger had gone to Earth by now. Sooner or later they're gonna need some cheap filming.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

5/5 this is probably the best sentai series since Gokaiger.

What a great episode. Rita is my favorite character now and the whole investigation and Phoenix Wright like scene was just great. The only thing that I don't like is the random scream.

The costumes, the fight scene in the snow, the special effects and the mecha fights were all good. That finisher was freaking awesome. The fights are a lot better and it should be thanks to the new action director as Yaiba said above.

Now that Gira's origins is revealed the story is even better.
Final Vent!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Rita's the first female Ranger in a decade to have a male main suit actor. Everyone since Kyoryu Pink has been a girl.

I noticed that, although Hachisuka Yuichi did also portray Sononi's suited form last year too

>I'm wondering when we're gonna get to proper Earth. I can't imagine they can keep up all these fantasy lands forever, even Kyuranger had gone to Earth by now. Sooner or later they're gonna need some cheap filming.

The king's day out, they all decide to go to the beach. Well, maybe not soon, but definitely going to see that when summer hits
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:13 pm >I'm wondering when we're gonna get to proper Earth. I can't imagine they can keep up all these fantasy lands forever, even Kyuranger had gone to Earth by now. Sooner or later they're gonna need some cheap filming.

The king's day out, they all decide to go to the beach. Well, maybe not soon, but definitely going to see that when summer hits
The thing is, so far we've got no signs of any sort of spacecraft or dimensional travel technology, so it'll be interesting to see how they get to Earth when they inevitably do. I just refuse to believe Toei has the budget to carry this off for the entire year.

Plus, it really doesn't look all that good. They do not have the Star Wars budget, they cannot show alien planets convincingly.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

<CrazyAznKT> Somebody said “they unkinged my ohgers” haha https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... G_3155.jpg
<CrazyAznKT> https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... G_3156.jpg
<~takenoko> lol
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm not quite sure what to make of this episode. The plot was captivating; the action, not so much.

Something about Gira has been unusual since the beginning, so I've been eagerly awaiting the other shoe to drop there - and I'm glad they didn't draw it out to the half-way point or such. His "just" being Racles' brother is a less fantastic story than I was expecting, but the plot thus far has set it up well. How can he use the red sabre? Because he's a member of the royal family, duh!

That said, this does require a greater than usual suspension of disbelief right now, because we don't know how Racles pulled this off. It's not like Gira was going around under an assumed identity. So how did he get Gira kicked out, and no one in a decade put together that Racles "missing" brother was this other dude named Gira the entire time. In the meantime it seems like this will put Racles rule (and position in the international community) at risk. But one thing at a time.

I also appreciated the thoroughness of Rita's investigation. As someone else noted, that was a much more detailed investigation than what we usually get for a Sentai mystery. That said, she also appears to be batshit insane, so I suppose they had to give her one good attribute. Though I think I'd be insane too if I had to live in the ice like that...

And bonus points for everyone calling out Kaguragi being a liar! :lol:

The heavy use of CGI for virtually everything is increasingly grating on me, though. And I know I've talked about this for the past few weeks, so i won't repeat myself verbatim. But it's hard to get attached to a show where nothing is real - there is not a single traditional standing set - especially when they don't have the budget to convincingly pull it off. The hanging gallery benches looked so bad, and there's multiple instances of background jitter...

The ground fights have also remained disappointing. They went out to the mountains to film this episode's second fight scene in a proper snow-covered landscape (while it was snowing, no less!), only to then cut it up into two dozen different shots that had distracting CGI effects slathered on top, and only ran for all of 50 seconds. It's almost one big tease; that could have been an epic fight in the snow (something we rarely get), but it was overproduced to the point where you can't keep track of what's going on.:(

With all of that said, I am under the distinct impression that they're leaving a lot more footage on the cutting room floor than usual for this series. We've seen multiple shots in the episode previews that don't make it in to the final cut, and only 2 episodes have included the OP. So even when they're stretching the running time of the episode to its limits, not everything is making it in. This may be a production that's overly ambitious.
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:38 pm Looks like Rita has two colored eyes. What's that mean?
It means someone was a fan of heterochromia? It's a naturally occurring condition, so it doesn't have to mean anything. But since it's non-normal, it may be what gives Rita the desire to cover the right side of her face.
Racles is always such a sweaty looking dude
Ha, I hadn't noticed it before, but you're right. He really is! :lol:
Yaiba wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:05 am Full team henshin is cool. I missed it so much.
Ditto. Though I appreciated the mild subversion as well with Rita kicking Gira down just because. :twisted:
Yaiba wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:05 am Her screaming was annoying though, hope that's one of the things they'll drop after a few episodes.
Agreed! It's certainly very, uh, unique. But listening to someone scream bloody murder is quite grating; by its very nature, it's not a good sound.
Fun fact:

The reason the fighting choreography style of King-Ohger feels different is because they've got a new Action Director this year. Watanabe Jun has replaced Fukuzawa Hirofumi (who had been directing for the past 10 years) as the Action Director for this show.
Interesting. Thanks for the background info. It's certainly different. Though I feel like I'm not getting a good look at his choreography skills, given how quickly everything has been cutting between shots.
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:29 am Rita's the first female Ranger in a decade to have a male main suit actor. Everyone since Kyoryu Pink has been a girl.
Ah, I was thinking Purple looked a bit bulky. That would explain it.
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:33 pm The thing is, so far we've got no signs of any sort of spacecraft or dimensional travel technology, so it'll be interesting to see how they get to Earth when they inevitably do. I just refuse to believe Toei has the budget to carry this off for the entire year.
That's been my one pause, as well. There's nothing to indicate the show is going to shift gears. But I don't know how they can keep this up. Even without the logistical challenges of filming in public, constantly assembling assets for the AR wall and the limitations it imposes are not cheap. Surely Toei is going to have to tighten the purse at some point?
takenoko wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:08 pm <CrazyAznKT> Somebody said “they unkinged my ohgers” haha https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... G_3155.jpg
<CrazyAznKT> https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... G_3156.jpg
<~takenoko> lol
Huh. HowlingSnail wasn't exaggerating: the cast really are unrecognisable out of costume. If not for the colored shirts and the context of this thread, I don't know if I would have ever recognized them.

I also didn't realize the actor playing Kaguragi was significantly older than the rest. Looking at the wiki, I see he's 32; so he's nearly a decade past the rest of the early-to-mid 20s cast. Coming from DonBros I suppose this isn't groundbreaking in any way, but I am surprised to see Toei do something like this two series in a row.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>but the plot thus far has set it up well. How can he use the red sabre? Because he's a member of the royal family, duh!

Does it? How does Gira remember he ate royal jell-o but not remember his own brother is the king? Amnesia? Did no one realize one of the princes was gone or that the orphan with the two red things on his face looks like the prince? Racles wasn't king yet, so his parents were probably still alive and ruling?
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:38 pm Looks like Rita has two colored eyes. What's that mean?
It means someone was a fan of heterochromia? It's a naturally occurring condition, so it doesn't have to mean anything. But since it's non-normal, it may be what gives Rita the desire to cover the right side of her face.

But is that where she keeps the demon??
Racles is always such a sweaty looking dude
Ha, I hadn't noticed it before, but you're right. He really is! :lol:

We get a few close ups of him, and everything is pretty red as it is
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:28 pm Does it? How does Gira remember he ate royal jell-o but not remember his own brother is the king? Amnesia? Did no one realize one of the princes was gone or that the orphan with the two red things on his face looks like the prince? Racles wasn't king yet, so his parents were probably still alive and ruling?
And that's the new big mystery. The traditional answer would be that Racles gave his brother Milk of Amnesia to get him out of the way, but we shall see. Getting rid of Gira definitely wouldn't have been easy.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

it was an okay episode. damn well wasn't better than Gokaiger.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:55 pm
takenoko wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:28 pm Does it? How does Gira remember he ate royal jell-o but not remember his own brother is the king? Amnesia? Did no one realize one of the princes was gone or that the orphan with the two red things on his face looks like the prince? Racles wasn't king yet, so his parents were probably still alive and ruling?
And that's the new big mystery. The traditional answer would be that Racles gave his brother Milk of Amnesia to get him out of the way, but we shall see. Getting rid of Gira definitely wouldn't have been easy.
And the followup question would be why get rid of Gira? It's not like Gira were the older brother and thus next in line of succession. Unless this kingdom has different succession rules
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:21 pm I also didn't realize the actor playing Kaguragi was significantly older than the rest. Looking at the wiki, I see he's 32; so he's nearly a decade past the rest of the early-to-mid 20s cast. Coming from DonBros I suppose this isn't groundbreaking in any way, but I am surprised to see Toei do something like this two series in a row.
They're actually fairly old as Sentai casts go. The youngest is Rita at 21. It's pretty common to have teenagers in the cast. Haruka's actress was 17 at the start of the show, and Kyoryu Pink and ToQ 5gou were both 15 (fun fact, adult and child Kagura are less than 4 years apart in age). 16-19 is really common though. I remember when Kyoryuger started, googling the cast, and being amazed that Amy's actress was the same age as me. Meanwhile now I'm 26 and having to accept the fact I'm now too old to play most Sentai rangers. You know, ignoring the fact that I'm British, don't speak Japanese, am way too fat, and probably make more per hour in my current job than the Sentai casts do.

Okay, time for another fun fact. So the youngest female Ranger is Ninja White, she was 13 at the start of the show. That's main actors, obviously the ToQ kids or flashbacks don't count. HOWEVER there is an argument to be made it should be the girl who played Shiba Kaoru. She'd just turned 14, however, she didn't debut until episode 44. If Kaoru had been around since episode 1, she'd have had Ninja White beaten by quite a few months.

(Unsurprisingly, the youngest male actor, and youngest in general, is 12-year-old Kibaranger. Doubt that'll be beaten any time soon.)
Seen:

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”