King-Ohger 06 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:05 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
20%
☆☆☆☆
30%
☆☆☆
30%
☆☆
No votes
20%

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 06 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 4.08 out of 5 (13 votes)

Oh, Gira's finally home

Did they change up th e opening footage?

Gotta love Rita's monotone

I don't like Queen Doctor Leg's new wig

That apocalypse scene is totally from Nausicaa

How is Yanma here already? Is there any sense of distance in this cgi world?

The top of that castle is totally going to be a playset you can buy

lol, Gira no plan. empty head, no thoughts. What would have even happened if he succeeded and struck Racles down?

Does Racles have a set of terracotta soldiers in his throne room? Whose sword does Racles have?

The God souls are basically the same amber shape they use to transform

liked black's tree flip

I wonder what sword Racles has

It seems doctor queen wants to the scorpion, but why? Shouldn't you establish a reason for that instead of leaving it a mystery?

So Racles has his own sword and kuwagata? Kids, be sure to buy the alternate color version too!

I mean, I guess that was alright. I still get secondhand embarrassment at some of Gira's antics though. Racles potentially being an evil ranger that can steal the zoids might be fun, feels like it's been a while since they had a plot like that
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: King-Ohger 06 discussion post

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:05 pm How is Yanma here already? Is there any sense of distance in this cgi world?
on the one hand, I wanna joke that there's only as much distance as is plot necessary, and then quote MST3K's "space is warped and time is bendable", but on the other, I'd 100% believe Bug Wakanda could've invented teleporters.
wrote: The top of that castle is totally going to be a playset you can buy
I was tempted, as soon as I first saw the other four bugs parked on it, to comment on it here, but didn't wanna get spoiled on the rest of the episode first. if I had to make a bet, it's not a playset. it's a full on transforming robot. getting a better look at that "robot face in the mural below King-Ohger that clearly isn't King-Ohger's face" that I noticed before, it's got horns on either side of the point on its head that seem to me to match up with the horns on the center piece of the top of that castle. unless those were the horns of Kuwagata Zero, and it was hidden in plain sight. I might have to re-examine that shot.
wrote: It seems doctor queen wants to the scorpion, but why? Shouldn't you establish a reason for that instead of leaving it a mystery?
if I had to guess, it's just a general "she's spoiled and wants everything" kind of deal. especially since back in Black's introductory focus episode, after they all got shot down by Kabuto the first time, she was asking Blue "what are these three great gods? I want them." iirc. she just wants things as a show of her status and/or because "ooh, shiny."
wrote: So Racles has his own sword and kuwagata? Kids, be sure to buy the alternate color version too!
what I'm curious about is which color combo Racles' evil ranger form will be.

will he be the grey/white of Okuwamon to Gira's red for Kuwagamon, to use a Digimon reference, since Bandai likes to reference itself all the time?

or will he be the black/dark red with "evil" highlights of Dark Kabuto to Gira's "fully red" Kabuto as a Kamen Rider reference?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

wrote: It seems doctor queen wants to the scorpion, but why? Shouldn't you establish a reason for that instead of leaving it a mystery?
if I had to guess, it's just a general "she's spoiled and wants everything" kind of deal. especially since back in Black's introductory focus episode, after they all got shot down by Kabuto the first time, she was asking Blue "what are these three great gods? I want them." iirc. she just wants things as a show of her status and/or because "ooh, shiny."

But I don't genuinely believe any of these heroes are anything but altruistic. Not to keep going back to praising DonBros, but their rangers were a lot of fun because they were genuinely flawed characters. Like Tarou really was a space alien that didn't understand emotion, and blue and yellow were complete egotists

Also, didn't notice this song playing during God Scorpion's appearance. We sure are getting a long of songs this season

>what I'm curious about is which color combo Racles' evil ranger form will be.

If it's anything but dark red, I'd be shocked. Looks at the dark red column
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Sentai_Ranger_Chart
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

From the preview it seems like they're going the explain why Himeno wants the scorpion?

I'm convinced that either Racles is using the Bugnarok, or the Bugnarok is using Racles. They have to be working together. Kamejimu literally just handed back the scorpion gem open handed, and Racles' plan wouldn't hold if scorpion didn't go rampage.

I still don't see what gives Shugoddom acting like the leader of the world. The other four brings technology, medicine, food and the justice system. Shugoddom contributes nothing, Racles couldn't even activate God Kuwagata before Gira stole the sword.

Someone give that pheasant at the end an oscar, jeez...
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Some of the buildings in this episode were so weirdly normal considering what we've seen in this series. Well, maybe not normal for Japan, but they just looked like a random British neighbourhood.

Donbrothers, probably due to Inoue's experience, seemed to adopt more of Kamen Rider's plot style, where they have more of a focus on story. This show seems to be keeping that up, since we haven't really had a traditional MOTW story yet. I don't mind, honestly. Donbrothers mixed up the Sentai formula, and so is this. Doesn't mean I'm enjoying it, but I appreciate what they're trying to do.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Lol Gira just going in for the kill without hesitation. Pretty ruthless for a sentai "power of friendship" - type hero!
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:05 pm What would have even happened if he succeeded and struck Racles down?
Well, you kill the king you become the new king, that's how it works, right?

The other four guardian gods besides kuwagon sure don't have much of a brain or willpower, they just go with whatever
Some runaway rebel wants to use them? - Can't think of a reason not to!
Evil kuwagata out of nowhere wants to combine? - Sure, who cares what your own monarchs think.

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:10 am what I'm curious about is which color combo Racles' evil ranger form will be.

will he be the grey/white of Okuwamon to Gira's red for Kuwagamon, to use a Digimon reference, since Bandai likes to reference itself all the time?

or will he be the black/dark red with "evil" highlights of Dark Kabuto to Gira's "fully red" Kabuto as a Kamen Rider reference?
takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:31 am If it's anything but dark red, I'd be shocked. Looks at the dark red column
Spoiler
Silver, he's literally just a red's recolor. The image has been on the wiki for a while now, as much as I also try to avoid avoid spoilers, I'm genuinely surprised someone have managed to avoid this one
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:05 pm Wiki
There are total of eight pictures for this episode on the Encyclopaedia. What’s the remaining two??

What’s the title for the next episode?? Same goes for Geats.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

decade368990 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:41 pm
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:05 pm Wiki
There are total of eight pictures for this episode on the Encyclopaedia. What’s the remaining two??

What’s the title for the next episode?? Same goes for Geats.
Gira being lifted up and Rita reflecting alone aren't worth explaining. Those things are self-evident
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I love that Racles is being a straight-up, unabashed villain. But at the same time, the fact that the other rangers aren't calling him out on his shenanigans is starting to get annoying. Thus far the series has done a poor job of showing us why the other four need him, especially now that it's revealed that Gira is a rightful prince of the same country. Though unconventional, Gira can fight and form King-Ohger, which is a lot more than Racles can do. So he's fully capable of holding up the alliance even without Racles' participation. The overarching plot really needs to move on from treating Racles as an equal at this point, as he's not being subtle about any of this.

And admittedly, Yanma is already (largely) at this point. But he seems content to just lob barbs, rather than actually doing anything about it. As headstrong as Doctor Queen is, it seems weird that she's not as equally cheesed off about Racles' demands. Having her fawning over giant insect robots instead isn't doing her character any favors right now.

As an aside, I can't tell if the lousy explanation for Gira going missing is another Racles ruse, or if it really is bad writing. Gira was roughly elementary school aged when he disappeared; it's difficult to believe his existence was kept secret from the public for over half a decade.

Speaking of villains, despite the fact that we've still spent relatively little time with the Bugnarok, I appreciate that they're not all one-track-minded world-destroying meatheads, as some villain groups are. Kamejimu being a well-spoken tactician is not a new Sentai trope, but so far he's also not lost his cool and exploded in a fit of rage, which is usually the other half of that trope. So it's cool to have a foe that is maintaining his composure even when things aren't going quite to plan.

As for the rangers, the scene early on in this episode with Rita really illustrates the tough task at hand for her actress. Rita is basically a half-face hero, and fairly stoic one at that. So she gets the interesting challenge of emoting within the bounds of those character attributes - and without the audience being able to see most of her face most of the time.

Production-wise, virtually the entire episode was filmed in front of a a virtual set, and it shows. The lack of "realness" of the AR wall aside, the limited space is also clearly posing some challenges. There's really no room to fight on the AR stage, especially as I can't imagine it would be okay for anyone to hit or otherwise run in to the wall. Though this episode has confirmed that Rita's office is a recurring location, which technically makes that the first recurring physical set of the series. :shock: Though I imagine it's just a redress of some other Toei set or locale, rather than being a standing set just for King-Ohger....

At 6 episodes in, this series is starting to remind me of Go-Busters in some respects. It's a highly experimental series with a strong focus on the mecha. But while Go-Busters was a true love letter to giant robots fights in Toku - which is to say two guys in big, bulky suits beating each other up on a miniature stage - King-Ohger isn't treating the material with the same reverence. Besides the heavier use of CGI (only a handful of the shugods have a physical model), they aren't giving the giant MOTWs much attention/background, and they aren't spending nearly as much time on the actual mecha combat as Go-Busters did. Though this is in line with the overall reduction in action in Sentai episodes, as we saw saw with DonBros last year.
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:10 am
wrote: The top of that castle is totally going to be a playset you can buy
I was tempted, as soon as I first saw the other four bugs parked on it, to comment on it here, but didn't wanna get spoiled on the rest of the episode first. if I had to make a bet, it's not a playset. it's a full on transforming robot. getting a better look at that "robot face in the mural below King-Ohger that clearly isn't King-Ohger's face" that I noticed before, it's got horns on either side of the point on its head that seem to me to match up with the horns on the center piece of the top of that castle. unless those were the horns of Kuwagata Zero, and it was hidden in plain sight. I might have to re-examine that shot.
Agreed. Now that we've finally had a good look at it, I'm thinking it's another mecha in hiding.
Yaiba wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:04 am I'm convinced that either Racles is using the Bugnarok, or the Bugnarok is using Racles. They have to be working together. Kamejimu literally just handed back the scorpion gem open handed, and Racles' plan wouldn't hold if scorpion didn't go rampage.
Someone is definitely using someone, that much is for sure. I suspect it's the Bugs using Racles, but if he's going to be a series-long villain, then it would certainly help develop his villain credentials to have him be the puppet master, at least for now.
Last edited by ViRGE on Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>As an aside, I can't tell if the lousy explanation for Gira going missing is another Racles rouse, or if it really is bad writing. Gira was roughly elementary school aged when he disappeared; it's difficult to believe his existence was kept secret from the public for over half a decade.

It's especially jarring since the villagers go from treating him like street urchin to recognizing him by face. What?

>Kamejimu being a well-spoken tactician is not a new Sentai trope

In the Japanese, Kamejimu is extremely annoying because he talks like the cat in dark souls. He uses like three contradictions in a row when he speaks

https://i.imgur.com/veBvUyv.jpg

>but so far he's also not lost his cool and exploded in a fit of rage, which is usually the other half of that trope. So it's cool to have a foe that is maintaining his composure even when things aren't going quite to plan.

Well, I didn't realize it till someone pointed it out, but he's manipulating them and is probably secretly working with Racles. He wanted them to get the Scorpion Soul
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Mikadius wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:00 pm
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:10 am what I'm curious about is which color combo Racles' evil ranger form will be.

takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:31 am If it's anything but dark red, I'd be shocked. Looks at the dark red column
Spoiler
Silver, he's literally just a red's recolor. The image has been on the wiki for a while now, as much as I also try to avoid avoid spoilers, I'm genuinely surprised someone have managed to avoid this one
Spoiler
oh, that makes sense. I'd seen pics, but until it's in the show itself that just as easily could've been a picture of Gira with the colors adjusted to rumormonger. like "omg! evil silver ranger who looks just like the lead!" is 100% a thing I could see someone making up for clickbait, and given Kuwagata Zero isn't glaringly silver, I didn't make the connection at first. guess it IS the Kuwagamon vs. Okuwamon coloring thing.
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:19 pm
Spoiler
oh, that makes sense. I'd seen pics, but until it's in the show itself that just as easily could've been a picture of Gira with the colors adjusted to rumormonger. like "omg! evil silver ranger who looks just like the lead!" is 100% a thing I could see someone making up for clickbait, and given Kuwagata Zero isn't glaringly silver, I didn't make the connection at first. guess it IS the Kuwagamon vs. Okuwamon coloring thing.
Ah, thats fair. I'm not used to questioning those since don't really follow any toku news closely so whatever reaches my eyes is usually official and solid.
Spoiler
Kinda strange he isn't the same color as "his" beatle, but an all-gold sword does go well with an all-silver outfit, I guess
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:19 pm
Mikadius wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:00 pm

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Back in 2020 someone digitally recoloured a photo of Kiramai Red to be purple and declared it to be Kiramai Violet, and I saw quite a few people believe it. It wasn't even that good, and this was pre-show, so it was literally one of the few high quality shots of Kiramai Red in existence, so it wasn't hard to recognise.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Racles being a proper bad guy is certainly a boost, but I do wonder if he and his servants have Pinky and the Brain style conversations: "What will will do tonight, my king?" "The same thing we do every night, we plot to take over the world!"

I am also wondering if actual protagonists will show up in this series? At this point I think the Kings' retainers would be a better sentai team than these clowns.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

resop2 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:47 pm I am also wondering if actual protagonists will show up in this series? At this point I think the Kings' retainers would be a better sentai team than these clowns.
oooh, what if that ends up being an arc in the show? the kings realizing their retainers work better than they do and deferring the nation protecting power to them while staying in a mainly governmental position.

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”