King-Ohger 07 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:54 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
20%

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 07 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 3.3 out of 5 (10 votes)

It's pretty amazing that the clocks in Racle's room seem to be a number system consisting of writing the kanji for king/ou. Seems ridiculously compllicated though, super impractical

Queen Doctor is in her more practical outfit and slightly better wig

Wait, were lord bee guy and rita heading toward the castle or away from it? I thought the big mushroom thing was the castle? Or is it that nondescript looking building?

It's nice that the kingdoms can break down into the dozen or so citizens wearing masks so if they get swapped out, we won't be able to tell lol

Nksopa, definitely the worst country. Anytime they do hacking I want to go out a building

Meanwhile, doctor queen is using imperial droids to do medical work. Oh, so the doctor gloves really are for controlling the droid and not scarecrow injector gloves as I previously thought lol

who's this soldier guy? I wonder if we'll see him again

lol, that fat guy really hates Gira. Is this week's monster kind of amazing looking? A soldier uniform and giant ant head

lol, kid Himeno

That's an interesting mecha. Is that kid Racles?

Ahhh, so that's why she wants God Scorpion

Anyway, blue and yellow are still the best pair of this series so far

is this our first time seeing them eat the thing to make them grow big? I know they mentioned it in a previous episode, but it hasn't been on screen before

Why isn't Kabuto moving? Was it poisoned too?

Of course the teams fix this by working together

Seeing scorpion hand wasn't too impressive. It's too bad the mantis can't be a hand

The cockpit robot hand forming a fist is a neat effect

Is the monster of the week a parody of Keroro Gunsou?

What a surprise, Gira being with the orphans put them in danger

Think that was the best episode of the season so far. For the first time, many of the rangers felt like actual characters instead of their one characteristic/catchphrase. I'm really surprised the Gira being on the run and Rita and lord bee man still not being on the team is still a thing, but I guess that'll prolong the eventual teamup, for good or for ill. Hopefully this episode will be the new baseline for this series

Preview:
Huh, Racles is a silver? Honestly was not expecting that

Edit:
Dumb Japanese wordplay: In the sponsor, it says Himeno's secret (himegoto). Normally secret is himitsu, but himegoto allows them to put hime/princess into the word

Seven episodes in and no new King-Ohger junction? That's weird

Oh, and I figured they'd be someone. Himeno's mom is Kuroki Mio from PGSM. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: King-Ohger 07 discussion post

Post by Yaiba »

So... Let me try to make sense of Kamejimu 's plan...
1. He knew about King-Ohger Zero beforehand
2. Kabuto is just an extra weapon. Zero's appearance may or may not include it
2. Scorpion may or may not attack King-Ohger Zero to free Kabuto from it
3. Scorpion's venom should disable all the Shu Gods
4. So he let Scorpion lose, with no way to get it back
5. Luckily Kabuto was disabled by the venom, so he sent the ant to capture it
6. The ant failed miserable
7. Profit???

This plan was so convoluted had so many uncontrollable elements it was just bad. Now they lost both Shu Gods. Considering their whole deal so far was capturing the Shu Gods, Deznarok was way too chill about this.

Himeno, you can't just think the Shu Gods are machines with no self that simply follow orders, then the same breath hint they are in love with each other.

Speaking of which, how does a robot kabuto and a robot scorpion make love? Though, It's cute that kabuto seems genuinely confused about scorpion's blushing reaction.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

still watching the episode, so I'll be back later with my thoughts, but I realized something that made me slap my head with how obvious it is (and has probably already been caught by others and I just missed them saying it).

Yanma's country, the high tech one, is called Nkosopa. I thought it might be an anagram, but couldn't figure out what, and then it hit me:

N ko so pa.

Pa so ko n. (as in pa-sokon/pa-sonaru conpyuta/personal computer/laptop)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hey, that's pretty good realizing that on your own. Nice sleuthing!
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

ok, it's cute that God Scorpion has a crush on God Kabuto.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:19 pm ok, it's cute that God Scorpion has a crush on God Kabuto.
I think it's interesting that Gira and Himeno are gendering God Scorpion. I do think it's weird though when Himeno announces that her new nickname is Scorpy, when Gira is the one who can talk to Scorpion. She already has one nickname, why does she have another? Is this a hint that God Scorpion didn't actually trust Gira and that she formed a stronger bond with Himeno? I'm clearly overthinking it, but it is the most worldbuilding we've got so far, and the most characterization we've had from a Shugod
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

maybe Scorpy is her only nickname, Sasorine is her actual name, and "God (insert bug here)" is just a title for each of the bugs. it's not that Gira's been nicknaming Kuwagon, Kabutan, and Sasorine, it's that he's the only one able to actually hear what their real names are, and calls them as such because they're his friends?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:46 pm maybe Scorpy is her only nickname, Sasorine is her actual name, and "God (insert bug here)" is just a title for each of the bugs. it's not that Gira's been nicknaming Kuwagon, Kabutan, and Sasorine, it's that he's the only one able to actually hear what their real names are, and calls them as such because they're his friends?
Hmm, I'd have to rewatch. Sasorine could be an actual name. But Kuwagon and Kabutan sound very much like pet names that Gira came up with
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:41 pm
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:46 pm maybe Scorpy is her only nickname, Sasorine is her actual name, and "God (insert bug here)" is just a title for each of the bugs. it's not that Gira's been nicknaming Kuwagon, Kabutan, and Sasorine, it's that he's the only one able to actually hear what their real names are, and calls them as such because they're his friends?
Hmm, I'd have to rewatch. Sasorine could be an actual name. But Kuwagon and Kabutan sound very much like pet names that Gira came up with
they do sound like nicknames, true, but last episode he first used Sasorine after talking to Kuwagon, so it seemed to me like Kuwagon called her that and he was just repeating a name he'd just been told. unless Gira's the type to just immediately nickname someone he's never even met before, it's either God Scorpion's name or Kuwagon's nickname for her.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Nice to get some backstory to Himeno, cause yeah, I agree they've been pretty flat so far. Honestly going out into the quarry for some mecha romance was a nice change from the constant CG backgrounds.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Personally, I found this episode to be a case of two steps forward, and one step back. Which is forward progress for sure, but it's also a reminder that the show isn't quite firing on all cylinders yet.

On the plus side, the action this week was better than most. Specifically, there weren't any of those distracting, ADHD-inducing rapid cuts during the ground fight. Granted, it was a very, very short ground fight staged on a virtual set, but you could easily follow what was going on and who was standing where. I cannot overstate just how annoying that has been up to now. Similar, the robo fight wasn't just a CGI spam-fest, so it was similarly followable.

Meanwhile the MOTW looks like something out of a late 80s or early 90s Sentai. It doesn't really mesh well with the rest of the MOTW designs we've had so far, but it's far, far more memorable than the indistinctive bugs we've had so far. It's amazing what a little clothing and some personality can do for adding some flavor to the monsters.

But the step backward was on the plot front. This show is, on its current pace, in the starting stages of developing Don-itis - an inflammation of the plot. Throwing the God's Wrath event into the series lore - and using that to further flesh out Doctor Queen - is on paper a good move. It definitely gave her character some nuance that was lacking back in episode 3. But it comes at the cost of stuffing yet another set of plot threads into what's already a busy overarching plot. This show already has several unanswered questions - everything from why Racles has a prototype(?) Kuwugata mecha to how Prince Gira was so quietly eliminated from the royal family - and now there is this whole massive side plot about someone with yet another mecha raising hell 15 years ago. It would be fine if King-Ohger was wrapping up some of its initial plots at the same time, but that's not what's been happening.

The writers need to make up their minds about whether they want King-Ohger to be character driven, or plot driven. If it's the former, the overarching plots need to get simpler so that they get out of the way of good character writing. If it's supposed to be plot driven, then more time needs to be devoted to developing and advancing the plots. And no matter which direction it is, the inability of these characters to sit down and talk things over is becoming a liability to the show; either your characters are idiots, or your plot is stupid.

Oh, and where are the giant exploding bugs from the previous episode?! You know, the ones that King-Ohger was needed to defeat, were being used to try to force the hand-over of Gira, and the reason why Racles' scheming was such a problem?

At the very least, I'm glad they got a bit more time away from the virtual sets for this episode. It's not much, but every little bit they can do to make the world feel more real is an improvement.
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:54 pm Queen Doctor is in her more practical outfit and slightly better wig
I'm all for fancy outfits. But this is definitely a better look. Queen Doctor's more regal outfits just look uncomfortable.
Why isn't Kabuto moving? Was it poisoned too?
Correct. He was part of the King-Ohger Zero formation.
What a surprise, Gira being with the orphans put them in danger
I think the bigger surprise is why Rita seems to be cool with holding a bunch of kids hostage with swords at their throats.
Spoiler
Preview:
Huh, Racles is a silver? Honestly was not expecting that
Spoiler
Personally, I'm more surprised by the fact that it appears to just be a recolor of Red's suit. This does lend further evidence to the idea that Racles somehow has access to a prototype, but it also means the suit is relatively uninteresting. Though I suppose this means we can at least write off Racles as being the 6th Ranger.
Yaiba wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:36 am This plan was so convoluted had so many uncontrollable elements it was just bad. Now they lost both Shu Gods. Considering their whole deal so far was capturing the Shu Gods, Deznarok was way too chill about this.
I'm right there with you. Especially with the missing explosive cocoons, I'm at a loss for what was supposed to be happening. Scenarios like these me miss Go-Busters; Enter's plans were similarly convoluted, but they were clearly explained to the audience (either directly or via character inference).
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

Why did Yanma and Himeno have to pull the "pretend they couldn't stop the criminal from getting away" stunt when their kingdoms don't consider him a criminal and the one that does disbanded the Alliance?

Even if they still don't want to create issues by openly supporting Gira yet, they've already given attitude when it comes to what they will or won't do for the other kingdoms (particularly with Racles involved).
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Gokider wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:26 pm Why did Yanma and Himeno have to pull the "pretend they couldn't stop the criminal from getting away" stunt when their kingdoms don't consider him a criminal and the one that does disbanded the Alliance?

Even if they still don't want to create issues by openly supporting Gira yet, they've already given attitude when it comes to what they will or won't do for the other kingdoms (particularly with Racles involved).
considering Rita's commitment to serving international justice, presumably it was for plausible deniability to avoid an international incident should something go wrong.

that and, meta reason, for the kids to understand they're on friendly terms I guess. just really hammer that point home.
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:40 am
Gokider wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:26 pm Why did Yanma and Himeno have to pull the "pretend they couldn't stop the criminal from getting away" stunt when their kingdoms don't consider him a criminal and the one that does disbanded the Alliance?

considering Rita's commitment to serving international justice, presumably it was for plausible deniability to avoid an international incident should something go wrong.

that and, meta reason, for the kids to understand they're on friendly terms I guess. just really hammer that point home.
Rita wasn't there for that and the kids would understand if they'd said anything along the lines of not considering him bad and not siding with Racles at all or just anything about why they're not taking him in.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Gokider wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:59 am
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:40 am

Rita wasn't there for that and the kids would understand if they'd said anything along the lines of not considering him bad and not siding with Racles at all or just anything about why they're not taking him in.
I know Rita wasn't there for that, but the show could just as easily pull a "witnesses saw you with the accused. what do you have to say for yourselves?"

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”