Once and Always - Power Rangers

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Once and Always - Power Rangers

Post by Aeikozz »

So what did ya'll think of Once and Always?

I felt it was pretty nice. It felt alot like a XXX Years After special. It was kind nice for them to put some actual dark stuff in the show for a change. It was kinda cool to see them put as much effort into the set as they did. That new command center and ernies bar is kind of a shame they won't be reusing all of that. You don't think it's a giant green screen like it is in King-Ohger ya think?

I thought the plot wasn't bad it was a neat idea. it was nice for a change to see billy take charge of everything. The Zord fight was something else. American CG Mecha fights are always cool.

I'm actually wondering if this entire project is a test for something more in the future. I dunno i could be just over thinking it though.
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Once and Always - Power Rangers

Post by SVNBob »

I loved it. I was grinning like an idiot throughout...up until the last couple minutes before the closing credits (which were a remake of the original series opening credits, incorporating both the original footage and clips from the special), when tears began to well up. For obvious reasons.

So may Easter eggs and call-backs to not just the original MMPR, but the entire PR franchise (including the present series and the comics from what I've heard), plus a lovely nod to the original Sentai with them calling their "all Rangers on deck" emergency code the Bandora Protocol.

David and Walter absolutely carried the special, along with newcomer Charlie as Minh. Catherine and Steve didn't get a whole lot, but they made what they did have work. And Johnny and Karan really only had a couple of glorified cameos.

This did feel like it could be the starting point of the long talked about Netflix "PR Universe". But it does also stand alone (not entirely, since it is deeply rooted in nostalgia and the original lore), so if this is as much as we get, I'm satisfied.

Return to “Americanized stuff”