King-Ohger 09 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun May 14, 2023 8:17 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
31%
☆☆
8%
23%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 09 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 3.8 out of 5 (10 votes)

Gotta love these villagers represented by three people

I like this forest cave that they're hiding out in

Rita continues to be the best

I feel like we've seen the Nausicaa shot before. I can't tell if I like or hate the main bad guy's head. It's creepy, but also totally lacking in facial features at the same time

I'm glad we're out in nature, but why was Himeno's forest scene the only one done with a green screen? it looks bad

Kuroko's Nkosopata disguise is amazing. Sad that we keep going back to these cgi nightmares though

I still feel like that one Kuroko reminds me too much of the amnesia monster

Thank goodness Tofu has some non cgi areas

I never noticed before that Shiokara has an annoying circle bangs. I hate their country so much

This is all green screen >.>

Thought we were going to get a mecha rider kick, but instead he sorta slams his chest into the monster, but sorta doesn't? What a confused animation

Looks like this overpowered last boss isn't going to wait till the last episode to attack, for once. Those strangulation marks on the different secondary characters is a nice detail

While I'm glad for some time with the side characters, I still feel like we haven't had enough time with the core rulers. I'd love for these guys to move beyond their one catchphrase and character quirk

Looks like after nine episodes of scheming and getting in each other's ways, the team might finally come together next episode?

Edit: This is my weekly gripe for a new junction for King-Ohger
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: King-Ohger 09 discussion post

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:17 pmI'm glad we're out in nature, but why was Himeno's forest scene the only one done with a green screen? it looks bad
Hachi definitely wasn't in that field.

I must admit, I lost interest half way through this episode. It's a real testament to this show that it can't get me to pay attention for 20 minutes.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Spoiler
Spider Kumonos has been officially revealed:

https://twitter.com/King47_toei/status/ ... 0072279040

10/10 for naming him Jeremy. Also, the actor is the guy who narrates the show.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

3/5 worst episode so far... They were just wasting time kingdom by kingdom with the secondary characters.

At this point they should know that they have no chance against the Bugnarok if they don't work as a team but I guess that Gira's Mary sue powers are way too much for them to accept. Looks like the show is all about the mechs and Gira is the only one that is able to use them when he needs them.

The story is just strange and I understand that the writer wants to make things different but at times its just messy and bad.
Last edited by Kurow on Sun May 07, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Final Vent!
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Obligatory support-character focus episode. Purple aide might get some growth later on since she's the least attached to her king.

I like how everyone did a double take when the kuroko spoke. The kurokos here are hilarious, a complete opposite to Shinkenger's kurokos.

Auxiliary mechas love triangle. What is this timeline we're living in?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

ha ha ha ha ha

HA HA HA HA HA

This show stinks.

Is the next episode the last one?

Maybe we will have the seconds have their own show after this?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm all for a show developing its secondary characters (which, ironically enough, is what Geats is doing this week). But first you need to be developing your primary characters. And I'm not sure that's been happening so far. At only 9 episodes in we've only just been introduced to all of them, and no one has become especially developed in the short period of time since then. If anything, they're still kind of walking stereotypes/catchphrases thus far; which is understandable for being early in the series, but it means the series is desperate for some real character growth.

I'm still having trouble getting a good beat on the series. But it feels like the merchandising side is increasingly getting in the way of the plot. By that I mean the overall plot is struggling to integrate the story of the Shugods, as it keeps wanting to snap back to this deep story of treason and backstabbing revolving around Racles. Which given that this is a mecha-centric season, is a problem.

Speaking of which, I guess Racles is making his own black shugods to go with his prototype Kuwagata? Given that he can't use the proper King-Ohger, I'm a little confused as to how he's making his own mechas.
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:17 pm I can't tell if I like or hate the main bad guy's head. It's creepy, but also totally lacking in facial features at the same time
I for one love it. You're right, it's absolutely lacking in facial features. But it helps to sell the otherworldly, non-humanoid nature of his species. He is a giant bug, after all. And it looks like one with a fair bit of reverence for the planet?
Kuroko's Nkosopata disguise is amazing.
Agreed. It's like Daft Punk meets a Kikainoid. It's one of the highlights of the episode, really.
This is all green screen >.>
And quite a bit of it being bad green screen.:(
Thought we were going to get a mecha rider kick, but instead he sorta slams his chest into the monster, but sorta doesn't? What a confused animation
Think of it as being killed by a giant bug zapper.:lol:
Looks like after nine episodes of scheming and getting in each other's ways, the team might finally come together next episode?
Oh please oh please oh please! This episode was especially bad with the pointless plotting against each other.
Yaiba wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:22 am Auxiliary mechas love triangle. What is this timeline we're living in?
I'll admit I cracked up at that scene. It's just so patently absurd. :lol:
Kurow wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:57 pm The story is just strange and I understand that the writer one to make things different but at times its just messy and bad.
Nothing else to add but "e-yup".
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>otherworldly, non-humanoid nature of his species. He is a giant bug, after all. And it looks like one with a fair bit of reverence for the planet?

He is a giant worm after all, so he likes dirt, I guess? lol

Huh, so just looking at the main writer for King (It's all by one person so far), he's done a bunch of bad one offs in the past for Ex-Aid and Zero-One. I get it's cool to have one person be in charge of writing because that can help with consistency, but one guy is in charge and it feels like a confusing mess still?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:42 pm >otherworldly, non-humanoid nature of his species. He is a giant bug, after all. And it looks like one with a fair bit of reverence for the planet?

He is a giant worm after all, so he likes dirt, I guess? lol
That actually kind of makes sense? Are the Bugnarok going to turn out to be a metaphor for eco-terrorism? :shock:
Huh, so just looking at the main writer for King (It's all by one person so far), he's done a bunch of bad one offs in the past for Ex-Aid and Zero-One. I get it's cool to have one person be in charge of writing because that can help with consistency, but one guy is in charge and it feels like a confusing mess still?
From what I gather, he's Takahashi Yuya's (Ex-Aid/Zero-One/Geats) disciple. Which, it's kind of cool that both master and student get to have series on at the same time. However, putting a Kamen Rider scribe in charge of Super Sentai may not have been the best of ideas. If nothing else, the cliffhanger endings really aren't working for Sentai.

Edit: And I know I've seemed kind of down on the series for a bit now. There's actually a lot of cool stuff going on. It's a mech-centric series, and the Big Bad is out kicking the Ranger's pleather asses just 9 episodes in. But while this is happening very little of it is making any sense, and it's really starting to vex me :(
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

And Takahashi Yuya I would argue has only really started to figure things out with Geats. He's pretty hit and miss even with a series I like like Zero-One

And to King's credit, there's stuff going on. Characters do have motivations and there's some humor. (I've definitely watched more vapid Sentai where they never get beyond the catchphrase). It's just that gulf between potential and what could be that is probably leading to whatever disappointment I'm having. Remember how excited I was about the red being politically opposed to the actual king? That had a lot of potential!
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Well, that mecha fight was confusing. Hopper just appeared, yelled some things and combined for no reason other than to market toys I guess

Always nice to see the Cave! It's one of the more memorable toku locations for me thanks to Wizard. I feel nostalgic every time.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

To bad the bugs only talk to Gary Stu and Queen Lemon. It would be great if Hopper showed up to a fight and said. "Was it you? Was it you who laughed at my friend?"
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

The masks at 14:30 kill me! In fact, they woke me up.
Is realistic wound make-up prohibited on kids shows in japan now? The close-up on king O at 17:00 doesn't even show the purple shadows that's the minimum of convincing wound make-up.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

takenoko wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:42 pm
The main-writer of King-Ohger is also the youngest main-writer in Sentai history: 29 years old, since his 30th birthday in this July.
The younger one when they become main writer: Inoue Toshiki (Jetman - 32), Kobayashi Yasuko (Gingaman - 33), Soda Hirohisa (Goggle V - 35), Yamaoka Junpei (Ryusoulger - 36).

I never consider Takahashi Yuya is good writer. He tried to make his Kamen Rider series interesting, but after the whole series, there are many problems in character development and story process.
With me, 01 > Ex-Aid = Geats.

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”