King-Ohger 13 discussion post

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:59 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
15%
☆☆☆☆
15%
☆☆☆
46%
☆☆
15%
8%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger 13 discussion post

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings: 4.38 out of 5 (13 votes)

Whelp, as people guesesd, they managed to cram Jeremie in the opening somehow

A character song?? At least this junkyard set is really setting Nksopa as more than just a tech capital

When your boyfriend is an idiot that makes electronic whoopy cushions

It's nice of Racles to keep four thrones for his guests in his throne room

The green screening for the whoopie cushion is bad. Seems like a lot of the episode to devote to a fart joke

The monster of the week design is kind of cool. And suddenly blue is in the fray too

Pretty fun that God Tarantula fought in just its base form

Oh nice, is that Bugnarok going to be a recurring character

Could have been a cool episode where we learned more about blue guy and Jeremie, but you can't put music over a scrapyard scene and just assume instant characterization. A little underwhelming after last week's Jeremie reveal

ImageImage
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: King-Ohger 13 discussion post

Post by Yaiba »

The voice actor of the MOTW is Seki Tomokazu, a very famous VA who voiced the Gokai Changes, among a lot of other things. I remembered thinking to myself when he appeared in ep 8, did the production seriously hired this guy just for only one line and a few grunt sounds? Turns out they planned for a recurring appearance.

Jeremie wants the humans and Bugnarok to get along. I feel the reason they were still fighting for 2000 years was because the prophecy pit them against each other, a prophecy that Jeremie said he wrote himself. If he wrote that the Great Shugods won't awaken unless the two factions were at peace, I think they'd at least try to get along with each other. Talk about being mad at a problem you helped to create.

This is why I don't like Yanma. Gira is the typical loud-idiot Red, but at least he respects others. Yanma is just a moron. When your comrade/enemy entrusted you with their weapon, you don't use it in a fart joke even if you don't know it's a memento from his mom. And he missed the chance to analyze his foe's weapon, wtf. I know they're trying to establish Jeremie's crypticness is causing communication problems but this is just beyond stupid.

The Fly Shugod resembled the Shugod that the murderer of Himero's parent rode. Come to think of it that dude was wearing a white cloak.

A bit of interesting lore drop. So the Bugnarok and human race just appeared out of no where and started warring each other 2000 years ago.

Jeremie's gadgets constantly yelling "fake" is already starting to get annoying. Hope they'll start toning it down a bit.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:59 pmOh nice, is that Bugnarok going to be a recurring character
This show's Yatsudenwani or Mogura Juujin.

Watching this after Donbros vs Zenkai was a mistake, it brought me down after that. This show might supplant Ohranger as my least favourite Sentai. At least in that show I knew what was going on.

Random thought I had, this show is gonna be a nightmare if they pick it for Power Rangers, because of how virtually all the fight footage is in what is very clearly not Earth (Well it is "Earth", but you know what I mean). Like, even worse than all those times Tokyo Tower or Mt Fuji shows up in the background. Unless they wanna basically copy the setting for PR, which I guess might be possible, since they could probably ask Toei for the background elements. Probably gonna skip this one though.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yaiba wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:53 am Jeremie's gadgets constantly yelling "fake" is already starting to get annoying. Hope they'll start toning it down a bit.
I do like the little "hehehe" before it says Fake during the prank parts. But it's dumb when it follows every attack, including the real ones?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Random thought I had, this show is gonna be a nightmare if they pick it for Power Rangers, because of how virtually all the fight footage is in what is very clearly not Earth (Well it is "Earth", but you know what I mean). Like, even worse than all those times Tokyo Tower or Mt Fuji shows up in the background. Unless they wanna basically copy the setting for PR, which I guess might be possible, since they could probably ask Toei for the background elements. Probably gonna skip this one though.
If PR adapt this, if ever, they'd probably just do what Cosmic Fury is doing and use the mecha fight scenes only.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

3/5

Very weak episode.

I don't understand the whole Jeremie double side story but its annoying... at least makes the story not predictable.

The FAKE this! FAKE that! but not FAKE! was out of control too. He was doing stuff against his "friends" but still called it FAKE?....

Anyway lets just that this gets better because this episode was a huge downgrade from the previous ones.
Final Vent!
Coffin
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Coffin »

The middle portion was more or less nonsense, but I thought the last half was fairly good. At least we've entered a new territory now. No more Royal Arms. The 6th having a loyal Bugnarok on his side.

I think the prophecy itself was a test to the humans, or rather the other 5 kings. To see if they'll put their difference aside and unite under a common threat. But they failed that. Had the 5 kings united, the 6 would come in and bring about peace. Perhaps Jeremie wanted to avoid forcing peace.

In any case, I'm giving this a 3. The ending saved it.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I really wanted to like this episode. We got some further backstory on Yanma, God's Wrath, hints on what things were like before the first war 2000 years ago, and of course more of Jeremie. But then Yanma has the biggest possible idiot ball shoved into his hands, and it's hard to ignore just how frustrating that is. The resulting episode isn't terrible, but it is a bit painful on how it misses the mark.

I am definitely not the target audience for this show. Wrong nationality, never mind the fact that I'm the wrong age. Shows aimed younger are going to have their characters make more obvious mistakes - to make their flaws and growth more visible. But using Jeremie's treasured relic for a fart joke is so heavy handed it's like getting slapped with a piece of lead. I suppose it illustrates his character's current flaws very well, but it's just too much - and it comes at the cost of doing something else to move the plot forward. (Not to mention all the stunt choreography effort they put in having Yanma's actor transition from a drop-kick to sitting cross-legged while he was falling)

I suppose one way or another we had to get something to drive further conflict between the core 5 and the new guy. But yeesh.

That said, I did like what they were doing towards the beginning and end of the episode. It risks being a twist too much, but for now it's working.

And I like the spider mecha. I'm looking forward to seeing its design once it transforms into a robo.

Finally, this episode keeps alive the unusual separation streak between Gira and the rest of the team. He's here in the episode, of course, but not as himself. I wonder if his actor was busy with something else?
takenoko wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:59 pm The green screening for the whoopie cushion is bad.
The green screening throughout this episode is kind of bad. Toei definitely isn't putting quite as much effort into post-production as they did for the initial episodes. They're still struggling with preventing the background from jittering.
Yaiba wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:53 am Jeremie's gadgets constantly yelling "fake" is already starting to get annoying. Hope they'll start toning it down a bit.
Agreed. It's being overdone.
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:25 am Random thought I had, this show is gonna be a nightmare if they pick it for Power Rangers, because of how virtually all the fight footage is in what is very clearly not Earth (Well it is "Earth", but you know what I mean). Like, even worse than all those times Tokyo Tower or Mt Fuji shows up in the background. Unless they wanna basically copy the setting for PR, which I guess might be possible, since they could probably ask Toei for the background elements. Probably gonna skip this one though.
Well the good news is that PR is going on an indefinite hiatus after Cosmic Fury, so we won't have to worry about any challenges with future adaptations... :|

Edit: Oh, and a minor typo with the Anon subs (emphasis mine):

00:48: The cocoons with the Three Great Guardian Gods is under Shugoddom
Last edited by ViRGE on Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:35 am Edit: Oh, and a minor typo with the Anon subs (emphasis mine):

00:48: The cocoons with the Three Great Guardian Gods is under Sugoddom
What's the typo? Is cocoons spelled wrong?
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

I'm trying desperately to like this series.....I haven't watched a Sentai all the way through since Lupinranger VS Patranger. Kirameiger, Ryusoulger, and Zenkaiger just did not keep my attention and I didn't even attempt Donbrothers. The backgrounds in this show tend to give me mild headaches (not sure why) and the only characters I find likeable are the kids from Gira's orphanage. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but honestly the core characters of this show seem to be just a bunch of Karens (if you'll excuse the use of the trope here) who are extremely selfish, overly entitled, and seem to be basing their choices on "This is the absolute most stupid and least helpful thing I could do and will likely do no good whatsoever, so I will do this just to inconvenience everyone". I just can't see anything here to like. Please, someone, tell me if I'm wrong. Because I really don't want to be right.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:06 am
ViRGE wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:35 am Edit: Oh, and a minor typo with the Anon subs (emphasis mine):

00:48: The cocoons with the Three Great Guardian Gods is under Shugoddom
What's the typo? Is cocoons spelled wrong?
"Cocoons" is plural. "Is" is singular.

It would either need to be cocoon + is, or cocoons + are.
TrissieQ
Adventure
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Giam
Dreamy: Hant
Favorite Actor?: Himitsu
Favorite Band: BAND-MAID
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: BL
Quote: There are 375 new laws against me since I joined the forum! Are any of you that blessed with conservative hate?

Post by TrissieQ »

"If PR adapt this, if ever, they'd probably just do what Cosmic Fury is doing and use the mecha fight scenes only."

isn't PR dead? Never to plague New Zealand again?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

Just going a little off topic here.

It's interesting following PR news. They skipped a few sentai but It is not quite dead. I don't know if they're still filming in New Zealand after Hasbro acquired it though. Hasbro adapted Go-Busters into Beast Morphers, and Ryusoulger into Dino Fury.

Cosmic Fury is the sequel to Dino Fury, releasing later this year. They will use Kyuuranger's mecha but not the suits. They designed their own new suits and will have a female Red.

There's no news on new seasons after Cosmic Fury though.

HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

TrissieQ wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:18 am isn't PR dead? Never to plague New Zealand again?
Um...no? They just released the 30th anniversary special like a month ago, and Cosmic Fury is in post production.

Whoever told you PR is dead is probably the same person who says Sentai's gonna be cancelled every year.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Yaiba wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:17 am Just going a little off topic here.

It's interesting following PR news. They skipped a few sentai but It is not quite dead. I don't know if they're still filming in New Zealand after Hasbro acquired it though. Hasbro adapted Go-Busters into Beast Morphers, and Ryusoulger into Dino Fury.

Cosmic Fury is the sequel to Dino Fury, releasing later this year. They will use Kyuuranger's mecha but not the suits. They designed their own new suits and will have a female Red.
10 episodes. Filmed in New Zealand. It will be released all in one go in the fall.
There's no news on new seasons after Cosmic Fury though.
Jonathan Entwistle's TV project appears to have been halted in the last couple of months, and he's off to do the Karate Kid movie. Meanwhile, Hasbro has eliminated their "Emerging Brands" segment and moved PR to their bottom-tier brand list ("Portfolio Brand") as of their Q1 earnings report. Franchise Brands are prioritized for development; Portfolio Brands are largely cheap cash-ins or licensed out entirely. In PR's case, Hasbro seems to have contracted their media development slate now that the cost of borrowing money is high, similar to how other entertainment companies have cut-back on media investments. And thus, only developing brands that are seeing good returns.

And semi-related, Hasbro has taken a $281m impairment charge on the brand due to canceling the next movie (thus the brand is worth $281m less).

As a result, there is not currently expected to be any new PR media after Cosmic Fury. The brand will go idle, save perhaps some additional Lightning Collection releases.

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”