DonBros VS Zenkaiger discussion

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBros VS Zenkaiger discussion

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

The cgi for the parrot looks pretty terrible

The mom looks familiar

The robo citizens in Zenkaiger always seemed like a cool concept that never amounted to much more than background characters wearing interesting masks. A pity Zenkaiger never really rose to any sort of potential

Zox hits Flint with his cape during his transformation

Why are they running away? So forced

/me looks at the time. Is the first 10 minutes of this just a shitty Zenkaiger mini eps?

So that's what the Toei backlot looks like. Nice job making sentai Momotaros look like a creep

Man we're already at the 15 minute mark

Cool, Kaito has to fight his dad yet again. Stacy's here to save the day. Oh, looks like we're leaving him

The pirates have another room in their ship? LOL

Fucking finally 17 minutes in

Oh hey, Sononi is riding Kijino now too

I wish people would leave me mysterious ramen

Mental note, look up Gouda-san

That third maid looks familiar. I like how Jirou's picture of his girlfriend looks like it was made in the 60s

Kijino continues to be the most evil member of the group

lol Amour Evasion

Oomori Zaka makes its second appearance (feel like I saw it earlier in the movie)

Why did they leave the cafe only to regroup in the park to continue their discussion

Momoi should be more holey than swiss cheese. From OP to beaten by the joke MOTW

Momoi's lips so pale

So are we going to get an answer about who the master of Cafe Donbura is?

This location is kinda nice. Doesn't feel like it's used often

Okay, that's not what I thought Sonoi was going to do lol

Wow they made no effort into making this a versus. Like why fucking bother then?

What the Zenkaigers had to be saved by the DOnBros? That's sorta lame

lol, the master's greeenscreening is bad

We're getting some good Zenkaiger moments in the battle at least

Hmm, while having the baddies in this be just motw level enemies, it does give the movie more time to focus on the characters issues with each other, I guess?

Oh right, isn't Kaito's mom the lady from OOO. No wonder they look familiar

What, Tsubasa and Sononi are putting up the posters themselves? lol

Oh, I was wondering if there'd be consequences to Momoi's ressurection. Sonoi dying as a train passes is some old school Japanese deaths. Wait, no one commented on it? Lame if it's left like this, okay if they fix it in the next versus

Looks like Komura Junko and Inoue both wrote for this movie, but man does does that paint one half in an unfair light. Sorry but was bored to tears out of the Zenkaiger portion, and it starts on that. Like did they even do anything funny in that part?

How do I even grade a movie this bipolar? Yeah, we got a lot of epilogue to a lot of characters and their stories. We found out what happens to the Zenkaigers, but they didn't really have any stakes or character change and I don't think they not-Imagin even did anything in their own movie

Versus DonBros where they definitely sorted out their various issues (some of which they did sort of address in their own series). It does kind of make Momoi losing his memory kind of pointless since it's undone so easily, but what can you do. Love 'em or hate 'em, it's nice to watch DonBros and have characters that actually are going through something

Edit:
Why the fuck did Kaito temporarily warp into the DonBros dimension?

No King-Ohger cameo? That's like a break in the tradition
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBros VS Zenkaiger discussion

Post by HowlingSnail »

Guess I'll copy and paste what I wrote in May when I saw it:

I enjoyed that overall. With how much like Kamen Rider Donbrothers was, it's only natural we go back to the old Movie Taisen format of the teams barely interacting with one-another. It did make for an enjoyable movie, but it kind of defeats the point of a team-up, you know?

As expected, the promised explanation for Kaito's Doppelgänger is basically non-existent, thus ending the last real chance for an explanation, barring some miracle in King-Ohger vs Donbrothers.

I'm guessing the lack of Murasame, Zenkaiser Black or the Nouto in the final battle is due to the fact they were running short on suit actors. I know that's why Super Hero Taisen missed off most of the 6th Rangers and Secondary Riders.

Presumably Haruka's manga career is still going? She was a best-seller, it's not like she needs Jirou's patronage to keep her going.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>As expected, the promised explanation for Kaito's Doppelgänger is basically non-existent, thus ending the last real chance for an explanation, barring some miracle in King-Ohger vs Donbrothers.

Worse than that, this was Inoue's chance to do some jokes about it, and he barely did anything with it

>Presumably Haruka's manga career is still going? She was a best-seller, it's not like she needs Jirou's patronage to keep her going.

It is pretty funny how when they're successful in their civilian lives, it brings out the worst versions of themselves. Not sure what kind of messaging that sends, or if it's anything beyond a convenient plot device for conflict for Inoue to write about
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

There's no seeders in 720p for the anon source. Please seed.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:24 am

As expected, the promised explanation for Kaito's Doppelgänger is basically non-existent, thus ending the last real chance for an explanation, barring some miracle in King-Ohger vs Donbrothers.
No hope for King-Oh VS Donbro. With main writer of King-Oh, he will focus on his own series rather than expand things from series he doesn't write.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

kangchan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:19 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:24 am

No hope for King-Oh VS Donbro. With main writer of King-Oh, he will focus on his own series rather than expand things from series he doesn't write.
Unless Toei decides to bring Inoue to write for the DonBrothers part... Which I'm certain they will. From what I can see, either Inoue is protective of his series and doesn't want anyone else to write the stories he started, or Toei just lets him write it.
takenoko wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:54 am It is pretty funny how when they're successful in their civilian lives, it brings out the worst versions of themselves. Not sure what kind of messaging that sends, or if it's anything beyond a convenient plot device for conflict for Inoue to write about
I don't think that's the case for Shin'ichi. He got out of his head for once when he was teaching the class. He didn't seem like his worst version to me. Jirou was like that to begin with, except he is doing something nice for the DonBrothers by helping them out. And Tsubasa was unhappy when he was running his shop, he didn't become bad or cocky. Although it's beyond my comprehension how being on the run makes him happier than living a decent life and earning money. It's only normal to do a job that gets one money instead of happiness. But it doesn't make sense to choose to live the life of a fugitive. Again, I'm too logical and young to make sense of any of this. DonBrothers isn't written for kids to understand completely anyways, it's for grown ups to fully understand- that's what I think now. Sorry if that was unnecessary. I'll stop talking now. 😅😓😶
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's funny, since I recently heard someone say that Peter Parker always suffers personally to be Spider-man. I guess the DonBrothers sorta suffer as civilians to be heroes, but they seem pretty happy being heroes, so I don't know if there's a point I'm making
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

takenoko wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:27 pm It's funny, since I recently heard someone say that Peter Parker always suffers personally to be Spider-man. I guess the DonBrothers sorta suffer as civilians to be heroes, but they seem pretty happy being heroes, so I don't know if there's a point I'm making
I could understand that for Shin'ichi and Kijino, since as characters, they're not great people. Kijino clearly needs therapy and not a romantic relationship, Shin'ichi needs to get out of his head. So being heroes can be said as the only good thing they're doing. In a way, Haruka is a bit self-centered, and not the best kind of person. In that way, maybe it can be said that being a hero is the only upside to her. Although, I won't say that, since she's still a teenager and not an adult. So I would understand why they would prefer to be heroes than be successful in their personal lives. But not the same for Tsubasa. Barely anything good has happened to him after he became InuBrother. I don't get why he would choose that over living freely without being chased by every other person.

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Counter point, Tsubasa met Sononi and got out of his relationship with a woman who secretly resented him being a starving actor
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

takenoko wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:45 pm Counter point, Tsubasa met Sononi and got out of his relationship with a woman who secretly resented him being a starving actor
Hmmm... Fair point. But weren't they both struggling actors at that time?

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

There's certainly a lot to unpack with this movie. Though I'm afraid not a lot of it is good.

As noted elsewhere, this is a very "Movie Taisen" style production, with distinct stories for each team. By having each series' head writer handle their own portions, those solo portions feel very authentic to their respective series. But it also means that they merge together about as well as oil and water. You can have good solo stories or a good team story, but it's damn near impossible to have both.

The Zenkaiger half of the movie is fine. It's a very Zenkaiger plot, right down to the focus on food and Zyuran selling black market mochi. Zenkaiger is not a series I hold in high regard, and this movie hasn't helped with that at all, but it hasn't hurt, either. It's as good as a follow-up story to the Zenkaiger series as you could ask for, essentially picking up where it left off. So if you did like Zenkaiger and its aloof stories (and Zox's ridiculous transformation dance), then you'll appreciate more of the same.

As for the DonBrothers half of the story, oh man. It's very much an Inoue story, that's for sure.

I laid out my criticisms of DonBrothers back at the end of that series. There's no plot and it doesn't make any sense. This movie certainly lives up (down?) to that standard.

This movie gives me the impression that Inoue did it because he had to, not because he wanted to. That DonBrothers wrapped up the story he wanted to tell, and as a result, he didn't have anything new to tell us about his characters. The end result is a follow-up movie that definitely feels like the best of DonBrothers, but also has to roll back a lot of their character growth to get there.

Tarou getting back his memories was to be expected (it would be difficult to tell a DonBros story otherwise). But making Jirou a de facto villain is straight up character assassination. To the point where I'm not even sure Inoue likes the character - that, or he really likes having a butt monkey around.

Meanwhile, Sonoi's death is probably appropriate. But I dunno, it feels out of place? This is a very lighthearted movie overall; even Tarou dying isn't all that series since you know he'll be back in a bit. But Sonoi's lonely death at the very end of the movie is quite the dark stinger, to say the least. Though he did puke in an open casket, so I suppose he had it coming?
takenoko wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:06 pm The pirates have another room in their ship? LOL
Hey, physical sets are very expensive! They had to conserve their budget for other things.
Momoi should be more holey than swiss cheese. From OP to beaten by the joke MOTW
That was an unusually brutal fight. We don't normally see projectiles going through the heroes like that, especially in such an explicit fashion. :shock:
So are we going to get an answer about who the master of Cafe Donbura is?
No. And if there was ever intended to be an answer, it would have been delivered during the series proper. We'll probably never know the true answer, but it almost certainly has to be contract related. The pandemic made things very weird.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Meanwhile, Sonoi's death is probably appropriate. But I dunno, it feels out of place? This is a very lighthearted movie overall; even Tarou dying isn't all that series since you know he'll be back in a bit. But Sonoi's lonely death at the very end of the movie is quite the dark stinger, to say the least

I think a lot about this plot point, and I can only theorize that this is the quest-to-revive-Ankh for justifying KingRangers vs DonBros. If you think about DonBrothers, they really have no main antagonist. Even at the end of the series, it's not like they went to Nouto homeworld and nuked the senate out of existence. For better or worse, it's a story about these characters, and any external conflict is just an environmental matter to conquer
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's an interesting direction for the VS series take a cue of the old Kamen Rider Taisen movies of two separate stories before merging them in the most awkward way as possible. It could have been easy for the Zenkaigers to team up with the DonBrothers to solve their problem instead of becoming "drug" dealers. The interaction between the two teams was so limited to the final battle and really miss the character interactions between the two teams.

I do think Momoi shouldn't gotten all of his memories back but instead he gets his memories up to the point before the start of the series. It would have been a sharp contrast of Momoi at the beginning of the series trying to get the other Donbros to be his companions with how Jirou "corrupted" them.

My initial thought when I saw Sonoi's death scene was that's a bit dark for a VS series but I remember Inoue wrote DonBrothers and thinks it's a weird callback to the end of Jetman.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

I actually truly enjoyed this movie. Kinda bummed about Sonoi dying, he deserved better.
it was was cute seing Rumi get turned into Hikari to be his light out of darkness arc he decide to go on.

It was an okay unneeded Epilouque. Still God being refered to as an Eternal Hero. He didn't even transform.. they didn't explain shit. wasn't that one of the main selling points in the commercials for this film? that it was going to patch that plot hole.

Ahh well. Still gonna fucking miss Donbrothers. They're Awesome

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”