Encoding question!

maryadavies
Go Go!
Alignment: Lawful Good

Encoding question!

Post by maryadavies »

Mind this does not have to do with your subs but considering you guys seem to know how to make videos play nice with Rokus/Fire sticks/consoles/etc I thought it was worth a ask. Mods, if I got this in the wrong forum, sorry about that, feel free to move it.

My brother wants to set up a private media server (prolly Universal Media Server compat) b/c he has a incredible--and I do mean INCREDIBLE--cartoon collection. I was asking on the discord about ripping his DVDs/blue rays because frankly, we don't want to d/l stuff we don't have to. Thing is, I know mkvs don't always play nice with streaming devices, so I was thinking about converting what I get from makemkv to *.mp4.

I figure you guys are the experts on this. What settings should I set when I convert so any streaming device/console in the house can play it? I'll proly be using Handbrake but if there's better to get things to behave I'm all ears.
My Backloggery
Never forget where you've been...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Encoding question!

Post by takenoko »

I used AnyDVD to rip Blu-rays and Megui combined with AVISynth to encode. It's kind of technical and maybe there's more efficient ways of doing it

We tried upgrading our copies of Megui but that resulted in some compatibility issues, so this is the version of Megui I use (not sure if the settings will carry through to another computer):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq62i9fmtwnf8 ... p.rar?dl=0
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Thanks Take, and I'll ask you guys for tips when we get down to it. Yes, this media server'll be in house only (not open to just anyone) but it'd suck not to be able to play what's on it on anything we got in the house. (PS3, Roku, PS4, PS5, Xbone, Xbox 360, Fire Stick..you get the idea.)

We just figured that ripping the disks will be easier in the long run than having to change disks all the time. I just wanna make sure it's compat.
My Backloggery
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Well, didn't quite work. Gagged twice and was like, some stuff's missing with MeGui and it tried to upgrade. Any ideas? If I have a idea on what settings, I can have Handbrake do it.
My Backloggery
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Unless you're having interlacing problems (Cartoons can be a bit tricky in this regard), I'd suggest sticking with Handbrake and calling it a day. H.265 video + AAC audio in a MP4 container is going to work just fine on anything worth using.
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Fair enough ViRGE. Working on this though; the idea is to keep it easy to play + get the space down. Believe me the ripper really makes it way too big.
My Backloggery

Return to “Off Topic”