Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Hagane 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

Zaruba, my old friend, did you have a redesign? Opening feels stylish

lol a jump scare

is that the getz guy? I guess this Horror is just messing with him. Otherwise she's not very effective. See? If you had just ate him, you could have run away from Ryuuga

Why's Ryuuga all smiley? doesn't feel like it's in his character. Again. stop smiling Ryuuga

Oh, that wasn't the Horror's final form? I admit, this barbarian horror is a lot more interesting than if a Ringu were a Horror

New priestess. Wonder when they'll explain Rian's absence

Looks like the quality of the filming is higher for this series? Also, I think this is the first Garo series to be in 24fps?

Creacity? At least they didn't make me guess.,.. Gotta love how the city looks like a video game creation, then you zoom in and it's just a bunch of people in a dark city

Guess that's this series' possession effect?

Cousin It the Horror

Why do all the Garo cities need a cool statue tower

I love how we go from weird future city to a night time scene that you can find in Hong Kong, to here's just a city at night in Japan

That's a cool design. A lion man armed with a hammer? Sword versus hammer? Fighting with a man hampering Ryuuga? Nice details

The women priestesses that dress in easy to move outfits with a bunch of flowers, sorta chinese looking in design (like Koyori here and Ryume in the past) tend to be a lot more melee than the sit-back-and-shoot with brushes priestesses

That was a cool shield spell

Hagane/Steel really has a samurai influence doesn't he?

This new guy looks like he should be the protagonist in an rpg

Now there's the gormless expression I expect from Ryuuga

Oh, here's the ending

huh. /me thinks if there were any conversations in this episode

Edit:
Oh man... this is the first Golden Knight Garo TV series since Gold Storm Shou in 2015, that was like almost 10 years ago. Ignoring Makai Retsuden and Verus Road, of course

Edit edit;
https://www.instagram.com/p/C1_pHbpIU6v ... _copy_link
Oh it is the Gets guy
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Garo Hagane 01 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I like this. I'm glad this series is still alive.
Figuring out how my brother can run Cyberpunk 2077 2.1 on his computer on a shoestring budget is a nightmare.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Interesting that Ryuuga's previous series, "The One Who Shines in the Darkness", was where they moved to fully using cgi for the suits. Here, the makai knights were back to having real suits. Love the real fights.

Wonder how much in universe time had passed since his previous appearance.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oh thank god, real fuckin suits, not some cgi bullshit

Actually they're going fairly light on the cgi, most of this stuff looks like practical effects, very nice. The second Horror looks pretty damn sweet. That first Horror though, that's going to make me stay far away from digital ad boards for a while.

Man, Ryoga looks much better as a Makai Knight ten years on. First time he came on I just wanted to punch him. Okay, I haven't watched the previous series since they aired so I honestly can't remember, did he always have Zaruba? I feel like he didn't before?

After the utter disappointment of the last "Garo" (frankly Versus Road barely counts as a Garo series) I am totally on board for this new one.

While I'm grateful they're making an attempt for the international crowd, I wish they had thrown some actual money at it, looks like a cut rate non-native language translator, and apparently the non-English are all machine translated from the (often incorrect) English.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:45 amOkay, I haven't watched the previous series since they aired so I honestly can't remember, did he always have Zaruba? I feel like he didn't before?
He was there in Gold Storm at least (haven't seen YotM)
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Mxylv wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:15 am
Lunagel wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:45 amOkay, I haven't watched the previous series since they aired so I honestly can't remember, did he always have Zaruba? I feel like he didn't before?
He was there in Gold Storm at least (haven't seen YotM)
Ah, okay, faulty memory on my part then, thanks
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick

Post by takenoko »

All the Garos have a Zaruba. That's why coming up with a timeline for them (and the anime) is as frustrating as putting all the Zelda stories together

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Haga ... ugumono_01
So I was working on our super cool wiki (I started making pics for all the different actors) and noticed a couple things

-the second horror is Shibue Jouji! Tuxedo Mask / Master Blue is here
-This is Garo Shou, not just the base Garo version for Ryuuga. Will he still have the wires attachment or whatever he did to fly? We'll see!

Oh, actually, I also found the model for the posters at the beginning, and yeah, she's the same woman as the ringu horror before she becomes a barbarian lady. Somehow I didn't notice they were the same person (Speaking of which, this is the barbarian lady looking normal: https://atribe-stunt.com/member/yuri-ishihara/ )

Director Matsuda Yasuhiro helped with the script, so maybe this guy is helming the show to give it some direction? It's not the same as Amemiya being at the helm himself, but you could feel that he and his team were getting burned out on Garo. Maybe these new folks will bring something new to the table (without going too far *coughsVRcoughs*)

Edit:
Couple translation thoughts too
-I went with Genesis for this week's title, but the kanji is more generally used for Origin/Start/Creation. With the city being called Creacity and the Steel being the origin of Makai Knights (ah shit I didn't use that suggestion), I kind of wonder if I should have gone with Origin instead. Prologue is just a mistranslation lol, if that's what they wanted they'd have used 序 instead

-So the series title is translated to Garo Heir to Steel, but when I first saw Hagane, I assumed that was the name of the second Makai Knight. This episode makes me think that they're a generic name for all the lower level knights and that there's going to be more than one. Tsugumono/heir is ambiguous since it could be plural. So maybe this should be Heirs to Steel?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Shibue Jouji is also Kamen Rider Ibuki
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Also thanks Keita Amemiya for reawaking a part of my memories from the pandemic about Hagane: the Final Conflict.

Here's a touched up poster of said game; Keita worked on the game's artwork.
Figuring out how my brother can run Cyberpunk 2077 2.1 on his computer on a shoestring budget is a nightmare.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So Hagane is a hard boiled Makai Knight from a city of sin? Will Koyori tsukomi him with a smack to the head with her shoe (with a variable kanji on it)?

This Garo was "gets" for me. Let's blow that trumpet!

I am very intrigued. I hope the rest of the series can keep up this quality.
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:45 am While I'm grateful they're making an attempt for the international crowd, I wish they had thrown some actual money at it, looks like a cut rate non-native language translator, and apparently the non-English are all machine translated from the (often incorrect) English.
Firstly, thank you TV-N! It's great to see Garo back and I really appreciate that you guys are working on it once again.

Have to be honest though, I find myself wondering why you are releasing these, in light of the official subs available. I thought the general rule was that, if there's a legal way to watch/buy a show in the west, you (or other subbers) don't touch it or take your existing releases down - so I wasn't really expecting to see TV-N doing this show at all. Is it mainly because the official subs (haven't seen them myself) are supposedly subpar?

No criticism intended, just to be clear. I'm just curious on what your thought process is when making these decisions.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

JustiFanV2 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:29 am
Lunagel wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:45 am While I'm grateful they're making an attempt for the international crowd, I wish they had thrown some actual money at it, looks like a cut rate non-native language translator, and apparently the non-English are all machine translated from the (often incorrect) English.
Firstly, thank you TV-N! It's great to see Garo back and I really appreciate that you guys are working on it once again.

Have to be honest though, I find myself wondering why you are releasing these, in light of the official subs available. I thought the general rule was that, if there's a legal way to watch/buy a show in the west, you (or other subbers) don't touch it or take your existing releases down - so I wasn't really expecting to see TV-N doing this show at all. Is it mainly because the official subs (haven't seen them myself) are supposedly subpar?

No criticism intended, just to be clear. I'm just curious on what your thought process is when making these decisions.
I think it mostly boils down to 1) is it licensed, 2) are the subs available any good, and the answer to that here is 1) eh, technically not and 2) understandable but often inaccurate.

As I mentioned, the translation felt very cut-rate non-native speaker, with a lot of janky grammar. The proper names being all in full caps every time like RYUGA and ZARUBA makes it seem like they scream the names all the time. Oh, and translating "Inga" as "karma" is just... No. It completely misrepresents the whole concept of Inga.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick

Post by takenoko »

>As I mentioned, the translation felt very cut-rate non-native speaker, with a lot of janky grammar. The proper names being all in full caps every time like RYUGA and ZARUBA makes it seem like they scream the names all the time. Oh, and translating "Inga" as "karma" is just... No. It completely misrepresents the whole concept of Inga.

I mean, there's only so much quality you can expect from a free post on YouTube

Whoever translated it was probably some rando translator they found, and not a fan who watched the original series. They probably thought Inga used the kanji 因果 1. cause and effect; causality​2. karma; fate​, not knowing that Amemiya is a cheeky prankster when it comes to kanji puns (look at Makai Knight for example). Pretty sure the Inga in Garo uses 陰我 which better translates to Shadow Self, or the Negative Ego. Everything to do with one's dark side, and nothing to do with karma
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

In the YT description, there's a video link to "crobo Co.,Ltd." about subtitle settings.

This is their description on their website (its only in Japanese btw):
We have developed a unique translation system specifically for YouTube that can translate videos for 848 yen per minute in 15 languages. Achieving the lowest price in the industry. Our unique translation flow can achieved delivery within 48 hours. We also offer quick turnaround times of 24 hours, making it possible to set subtitles immediately after the video is released.

The goal is cheap and fast, and probably machine translated.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Machine translated with a human babysitter, yeah.

Return to “Garo Hagane wo Tsugumono”