My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 23 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.25 of 5 stars (8 votes)

Am I the only one that's worried that someone on Toei staff is dangerously obsessed with Rinne?

Nice, they had the powered up villain knock out the main rider instead of the secondary or tertiary

Oh right, we're back to Valentine's day

New op observation t his week, the alchemy symbol they make is a triangle, and there's three riders. Also looks like we're getting another three song episode

Hahaha, he doesn't know he's an energy vampire

At a glance, Rinne's new form is pretty good looking. Let's see how she fights. Hmm, I thought the new form gave her more upper body attacks, but she's still got some kicks in there

With Minato on the dark side route, do we have people still wiping people's memories? Surely this isn't something the good guy crew is doing?

The Yua/Zukumpire story turned out to be pretty nice! I was wondering where the episode was going when the fight ended and there was still 7 minutes left. I'm glad Yua didn't just end up with her old ex

What is going on with Gotchard next week?

Edit: where the hell did Spanner go?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: KR Gotchard 23 thread

Post by Yaiba »

Majade didn't have a weapon. Who needs weapons when you have kick-ass kung-fu.

Lol Spanner just nope out of there. Nope, not dealing with these shoujo characters today. Even Geryon made fun of the zyukun stuff.

It looked like they did wipe Yua's memory. But they did such a bad job she's able to recall meeting Zukumpire, abit with a blurred face. I like how she learned to live for herself at the end.

When Houtarou said they were best friends and Hopper1 just said nah... :lol:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

New theory, what if Houtarou isn't the card, but his dad is the card. So when he "left to go adventuring" that was really him getting sealed away with the other cards 10 years ago and his mom getting mind wiped

Edit: https://www.tumblr.com/super-saiyan-ros ... urce=share
Apparently the douchey ex is a recurring character!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Majade's new form is way better than her base suit, petition to make it her new main form, thank you Toei.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Yaiba wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:30 am It looked like they did wipe Yua's memory. But they did such a bad job she's able to recall meeting Zukumpire, abit with a blurred face. I like how she learned to live for herself at the end.
Maybe they erased the part of Yua's memory where she saw that Zukumpire was a chemy but not the part where he acted like a charismatic human self help guru? (I think that Rinne was the one that did the erasing since it was following a rule that she saw the value in.)

The part with Yua at the end was the best part of the show, a fitting end to a shoujo manga themed arc. (I really think this highlights a baffling quirk in Toei's production: they like to use untrained newcomers in lead roles. Are these shows so low budget that they can't spend money to get a skilled actor?)

I lol-ed at the part where Subi mumbles mushy stuff about Renge and his tablet cleans it up into something platonic and uplifting.
Spoiler
In the previews Minato gets an evil driver. Surely Minato's rider form must be colored gold? If it is, they could do the gimmick where if Minato takes a large attack that drains his hit points then the rider form turns black and Minato turns good, until he regains hit points and the suit turns back to gold.
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I'll always be up for a story about well-intentioned and widespread but ultimately shallow and problematic happiness; in this case the problem was more hands-on than philosophical (finding meaning in life through a cult of personality is creepy even without the vampirism. Call it an allegory?), but the drama's still there. Also, good on Yua for ending a clearly problematic relationship; the ex's "So we're cool now, right?"-style apology (if one could call it that) in a culture virtually built on social respect had all sorts of red flags.

Rinne's new form looks surprisingly good, which I wouldn't have expected as the helmet has three heads on it. It's also great that the two were able to beat the powered-up Klotho, but she's already retreated twice before since getting the new power--once after fighting Valvard on his own. Combine that with Gotchard beating her back in episode 1, and she doesn't seem very intimidating right now. I think this is a limitation of having multiple characters get major upgrades within the same stretch of episodes: at some point, one has to pick and choose whose mid-season upgrade trumps whose.

The villain mini-arc continues to be interesting; there wasn't anything of note this time except a shared smile between Minato and Lachesis, but it already interests me more than the hero story. Maybe it's because the villains are more proactive? Ichinose & co. do go around looking for Chemys from time to time, but most of their story so far feels like reacting to the villains' schemes until the status quo's back. Of course, another option is that conflict within factions is just fun to watch.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Another new form? I feel like we've been on a form train for the last 3 months now. Every second episode (if not sooner) has been a new form for someone, be it Dino Gotchard, Bad Future Gotchard, Jet-Assisted Take-Off Gotchard, Dread, Valvarad, Majade, etc. I appreciate that the forms are all visually distinct, but it's getting kind of exhausting. :oops:

Also, that is a surprisingly big explosion for Klotho's defeat, even by Kamen Rider standards. Someone really had fun with the pyrotechnics that day! :lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:40 pm Am I the only one that's worried that someone on Toei staff is dangerously obsessed with Rinne?
In this episode in particular? Eh, I'm not really seeing it.
Nice, they had the powered up villain knock out the main rider instead of the secondary or tertiary
Though that's about the only hit she got in. :|
At a glance, Rinne's new form is pretty good looking. Let's see how she fights. Hmm, I thought the new form gave her more upper body attacks, but she's still got some kicks in there
It still looks a bit weird to me. But I do agree it had a more distinctive look to it that her base form was lacking. So it's certainly an improvement.
The Yua/Zukumpire story turned out to be pretty nice! I was wondering where the episode was going when the fight ended and there was still 7 minutes left.
Purely my own $0.02 here, but I felt like this episode moved rather slow for the content it had. I'm kind of wondering if it wasn't running short, and that they needed to do some creative editing to meet their runtime.
Mxylv wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:12 pm It's also great that the two were able to beat the powered-up Klotho, but she's already retreated twice before since getting the new power--once after fighting Valvard on his own. Combine that with Gotchard beating her back in episode 1, and she doesn't seem very intimidating right now. I think this is a limitation of having multiple characters get major upgrades within the same stretch of episodes: at some point, one has to pick and choose whose mid-season upgrade trumps whose.
And this is part of the problem with the narrow personalities of the Sisters. Klotho is the combat monster, and the tropes employed by Kamen Rider basically decree that the villains can't win in combat. They can win in subterfuge or strategic planning, but unless it's to beat the hero down right before they get their next power-up, they cannot decisively win a fight.

So although this is normally a protagonist trope, Klotho is basically getting hit with The Worf Effect right now. As you correctly note, she's mostly there to fight the heroes new forms, and then lose to them to underscore just how powerful they are. It's not very good writing.
The villain mini-arc continues to be interesting; there wasn't anything of note this time except a shared smile between Minato and Lachesis, but it already interests me more than the hero story. Maybe it's because the villains are more proactive? Ichinose & co. do go around looking for Chemys from time to time, but most of their story so far feels like reacting to the villains' schemes until the status quo's back. Of course, another option is that conflict within factions is just fun to watch.
You're definitely right on that point, as well. It's the villains driving the story right now, not the heroes. Even when they get new forms, it's in reaction to the story rather than something that pushes it forward. It can make for more interesting villains, but it also makes for bland heroes.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:28 am Another new form? I feel like we've been on a form train for the last 3 months now. Every second episode (if not sooner) has been a new form for someone, be it Dino Gotchard, Bad Future Gotchard, Jet-Assisted Take-Off Gotchard, Dread, Valvarad, Majade, etc. I appreciate that the forms are all visually distinct, but it's getting kind of exhausting. :oops:
Honestly in recent Rider seasons I've stopped keeping up. I think Zero-One is the last one I actively kept up with all the forms. Also, probably not coincidentally, the last Rider I bought a significant amount of the toys for. Back during Gaim I could tell you the ins and outs of every single Lock Seed, all their jingles, all the stuff not seen in the show. Now? I barely pay attention to major form changes.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”