King-Ohger movie Adventure Heaven

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger movie Adventure Heaven

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Chimes right before something mystical is about to happen. Same thing happens before the ancient sages talk in Tears of the Kingdom

Now that's an entrance

There's some real Zelda vibes in this.

Cool lantern

How many times are they going to tell him it's the kingdom of the dead

Where's tis visual imagination in the actual show?

A sentai movie with a song that's a part of the story? Was Kyouryuuger the last time we had one?

Oops, lost focus on Gira's close up lol

What a cool forest for Himeno. Nice, do we get more than a few seconds with Himeno's parents

In a way, it's kind of cool to know the background story with Kaguragi's past ruler before seeing her in this, since it's just more meaningful that way

It's nice to see Gira actually have character interactions with people. His interactions with the kids is sweet, but it's very limiteed compared to this

Did Yanma just kill his aide just to open a door to the world of the dead?

How is Sebastian here??? Is there a missing scene even in the complete version?

Oh, hre's the transformation. Pretty bold of them to focus a short sentai on story than 30 minutes of action. I appreciate it!

Why is Liniol's sword so much bigger and gold?

Oh hey, this song has lyrics? Rad

lol, of course they found a way to get rid of Jeremie for the movie. Some traditions never change

Oh hey it's bug pope

I wonder if any work was done to adjust that toy crown to fit Gira's actor head

Man, what a movie full of surprises. I totally thought Demonica was going to die, since we dont' see her in the TV series

I don't usually grade the movies, but 5 stars for the King-Ohger movie. Even among Sentai movies it feels a bit of a step above the rest. I don't know if it's because I saw the full version, so those 9 minutes really helped with the pacing that other Sentai movies lacked, but the focus on story, character, and world building is always appreciated. Interesting that we got the movie theme song as the fight song and just a BGM for the credits too. Well done to the crew!

https://open.spotify.com/track/6aVbGlqL ... c5430649ac didn't realize how good this song was till I heard it in the movie

Oh Adventure Heaven, because they're literally in heaven. So not only is King-Ohger about a parallel Earth populated by offshoot Kyouryuugers, they've also got their own version of an after life particular for their planet

Edit:
latter tv series
So was Rhyniol right??
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Re: King-Ohger movie Adventure Heaven

Post by msf232 »

What caught my eye is Hymeno's parents being mentioned in the credits using their own names and not stuff like "Hymeno's father" and "Hymeno's mother". Did they do this in the show too? I didn't notice

This Inferno song sounded really, really familiar for some reason... even when I don't remember actually going and listening to it at any point. Feels like a mystery to me, and this seems to be something from this movie that I'm going to remember for a while 😅

Edit: Just noticed the section in the wiki page; so the names were indeed mentioned for the first time here (still no one has actually said it out though)
Last edited by msf232 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

/me gives msf points for reading the wiki page lol
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Been waiting for this to catch up on the series, ready for Boonboomger. Guess now I have to watch it. That can be next weekends binge watch, since my brain is overloaded by trying to blast through Power Rangers this weekend.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

No new form or new power up, no new robots or giant fights. I don't think they even played the OP main theme. Is this a first for a sentai movie?

It made sense that Shugoddom's king needed to know about their secret deal with the Space Bugs, but since this is canonically before the tv reveal, they can't say it here and the plot was just kinda strange. The first king was the antagonist but not the villain. He tried to sacrifice the girl but ultimately just wanted to stop the Space Bugs. But he only needed Gira for this, so why did he need to trap the others rulers there as well?

Hang on... they said this tradition had been going on for 200 years. Was the reason Raclus and Gira's dad looked the same as the first king (same actor), was because he was the first king revived from the previous enthronement???

Himeno and Kaguragi met their predecessors. Rita didn't met Karasu because at that point in time Karasu was only frozen and not dead. Why didn't Yanma met his predecessor, was he still alive? The dead Nkosopa was underwater. Did the previous capital sank or something.

The aids literally died for the job. I liked how the lighting strike delayed when Sebas called Himeno a hag, the hat needed a moment to think about whether that's a lie or not.

The final scene when Gira was wearing the crown, looked like the crown is going to fall off any minute. The shot was also focus on the crown and Gira was out of focus.

Way to spoil Racles' fake dead. I'm glad I didn't know abou this during the show run.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Hang on... they said this tradition had been going on for 200 years. Was the reason Raclus and Gira's dad looked the same as the first king (same actor), was because he was the first king revived from the previous enthronement???

lol, that'd be hilarious, but it's probably just cause they're related

>Why didn't Yanma met his predecessor, was he still alive?

I thought he fled Nkosopa?

>Way to spoil Racles' fake dead. I'm glad I didn't know abou this during the show run.

I mean, it never felt like he was dead...
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I was surprised that Demonica was played by Ayane Sakura who is more famous as a voice actress. She has voiced Uravity in My Hero Academia. It's nice to see her doing a live action role.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Just watched this finally. That was a bad installment of a show I already can't stand. It was incredibly Red heavy, for one. But also it just kind of felt like...nothing? I dunno. It's a bit like the Gaim football movie where they struggled to cram a movie into the show's plot, and have to do something so inconsequential that it feels like a waste of 40 minutes. Of all the movies to bring back the extended cuts, THIS is the one they felt needed extra run time?
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Finally getting a chance to write a few notes on this one. Though at this point i think everyone has already hit the high points. And the low points.

Above all else, this was a very different movie from the usual standard Sentai fare. Normally we get something massively bombastic to justify a theatrical release. This movie doesn't do that. As Yaiba already noted, there's no giant robot action, no power-ups, or any other blatant merchandising going on here. Which is a good thing in some respects. But it also means there's a lot of talking. Interesting talking for sure, but then I didn't have to pay the price of a movie ticket to see this.

Absent a big fight, it looks like they put the bulk of the movie budget into a lot of CGI, and more specifically, new backgrounds for the virtual set. I really am surprised here; basically the entire thing was filmed on their virtual set, more than even most King-Ohger episodes. If anything, I expected they'd set the movie in primarily physical locales since they have the budget for bigger sets. But instead they doubled-down on the virtual production here.

On the plus side, it means there was more care put into blending and compositing; there is much less artifacting here than most King-Ohger episodes. And more of an effort was put into using physical props within the virtual set, rather than making the backgrounds do most of the heavy lifting. Still, it's a 40 minute movie filmed primarily in front of a green-screen, and it certainly has that "smallness" that comes with it, which is not a desirable thing for a movie. As well, they never did resolve the background jitter that we also see in the series proper.

Meanwhile, I can't decide whether it does the movie a disservice or not that I'm seeing it so late into King-Ohger's run. Because of this, we already know the big reveal with the Space Bugs. But if I sit and think about how I would have absorbed the movie had I see it back in the summer, I'm not sure that's a better outcome? This movie didn't spoil the Space Bug arc, but it also didn't amount to more than one big teaser for it precisely because it didn't spoil anything. So you didn't miss anything in the series by not seeing the movie when it came out, however people that did see it didn't come away with too much, either.

Sentai movies are normally wholly self-contained adventures for this reason. Having a movie that essentially dances around the major lore of the series is certainly a different way to go about things. But at least self-contained movies tell a story and ends on a satisfactory conclusion. With Adventure Heaven, however, the audience is paying for a ticket just to get teased. It's kind of mean-spirited in some respects.

The lore focus also makes this heavily red-focused out of necessity. The movie doesn't forget about the others, but only Kaguragi and Himeno get anything close to interesting stories. Yanma and Rita are basically just biding time, with their scenes serving as something to cut to to break up the A-plot.

Despite all of this, it's a very dense movie with regards to dialog (kudos to the Anon translators!). At 40 minutes long it still feels a bit too compressed, and this is the extended cut! I'd hate to think about how rushed the theatrical version was. About the only thing superfluous here was the aide stuff, and that didn't take up 10 minutes. So I dread to think about what did get axed for the theatrical release.

All-told, I'm not sure I'd call this a good movie. But I do appreciate that, true to King-Ohger overall direction, they did something very different from the Sentai norms for their movie. It didn't especially work, but then the same can be said for most Sentai movies. So they didn't lose anything for their efforts, either.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:29 am On the plus side, it means there was more care put into blending and compositing; there is much less artifacting here than most King-Ohger episodes. And more of an effort was put into using physical props within the virtual set, rather than making the backgrounds do most of the heavy lifting. Still, it's a 40 minute movie filmed primarily in front of a green-screen, and it certainly has that "smallness" that comes with it, which is not a desirable thing for a movie. As well, they never did resolve the background jitter that we also see in the series proper.
You have the advantage of seeing it on a smaller screen. In theaters, the background jitter was just as bad on the big screen as it is in the series proper.

ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:29 amMeanwhile, I can't decide whether it does the movie a disservice or not that I'm seeing it so late into King-Ohger's run. Because of this, we already know the big reveal with the Space Bugs. But if I sit and think about how I would have absorbed the movie had I see it back in the summer, I'm not sure that's a better outcome? This movie didn't spoil the Space Bug arc, but it also didn't amount to more than one big teaser for it precisely because it didn't spoil anything. So you didn't miss anything in the series by not seeing the movie when it came out, however people that did see it didn't come away with too much, either.
> Yeah it was kind of a big "well that happened". The director's cut fleshes it out a LOT
ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:29 amSentai movies are normally wholly self-contained adventures for this reason. Having a movie that essentially dances around the major lore of the series is certainly a different way to go about things. But at least self-contained movies tell a story and ends on a satisfactory conclusion. With Adventure Heaven, however, the audience is paying for a ticket just to get teased. It's kind of mean-spirited in some respects.
At least it was a double-feature with Geats, which mostly made up for it.
ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:29 amDespite all of this, it's a very dense movie with regards to dialog (kudos to the Anon translators!). At 40 minutes long it still feels a bit too compressed, and this is the extended cut! I'd hate to think about how rushed the theatrical version was. About the only thing superfluous here was the aide stuff, and that didn't take up 10 minutes. So I dread to think about what did get axed for the theatrical release.
The whole "oh racles is still alive" bit? that wasn't in there. A lot of the fight, most of the aides, good chunk of the coronation (before and after). Ten minutes doesn't seem like much but when your movie is only 30 minutes... I watched the theatrical version and pretty much promptly forgot about it. The director's cut was much more enjoyable.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:36 pm
ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:29 am On the plus side, it means there was more care put into blending and compositing; there is much less artifacting here than most King-Ohger episodes. And more of an effort was put into using physical props within the virtual set, rather than making the backgrounds do most of the heavy lifting. Still, it's a 40 minute movie filmed primarily in front of a green-screen, and it certainly has that "smallness" that comes with it, which is not a desirable thing for a movie. As well, they never did resolve the background jitter that we also see in the series proper.
You have the advantage of seeing it on a smaller screen. In theaters, the background jitter was just as bad on the big screen as it is in the series proper.
Oof. I hadn't even thought about that, but that's a really good point. The jitter is bad enough on a TV; I can't imagine how disorienting it was having everything jitter by literal inches (or more). There's a reason that kind of nonsense isn't acceptable in proper movies. :?

To give some credit to Toei, if it was an easy fix I'm sure they would have done it by now. But at the same time, other studios using AR walls (never mind traditional green screens) don't have this issue. So this is their screw-up.
ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:29 amDespite all of this, it's a very dense movie with regards to dialog (kudos to the Anon translators!). At 40 minutes long it still feels a bit too compressed, and this is the extended cut! I'd hate to think about how rushed the theatrical version was. About the only thing superfluous here was the aide stuff, and that didn't take up 10 minutes. So I dread to think about what did get axed for the theatrical release.
The whole "oh racles is still alive" bit? that wasn't in there. A lot of the fight, most of the aides, good chunk of the coronation (before and after). Ten minutes doesn't seem like much but when your movie is only 30 minutes... I watched the theatrical version and pretty much promptly forgot about it. The director's cut was much more enjoyable.
The Racles bit wasn't there?! Huh. That's kind of the stinger to end the main plot, so that really surprises me.

I know Toei is never going to do this, but the Sentai movies really need to be longer. Their writers can do a good 45 minute script. Add 15 minutes to the summer double feature and let the Sentai movies be more than a slightly extended episode. Though given the target audience, I can only imagine they have a very good reason for keeping the target runtime to 90 minutes or less.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:23 pm Oof. I hadn't even thought about that, but that's a really good point. The jitter is bad enough on a TV; I can't imagine how disorienting it was having everything jitter by literal inches (or more). There's a reason that kind of nonsense isn't acceptable in proper movies. :?

To give some credit to Toei, if it was an easy fix I'm sure they would have done it by now. But at the same time, other studios using AR walls (never mind traditional green screens) don't have this issue. So this is their screw-up.
The easy fix is to understand your own limitations and not film a show where 95% of it takes place on fake backgrounds when you're clearly not up to the task. It looks hideous, and frankly I can't believe anyone genuinely thought it was a good idea.
Seen:

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”