Testing 265 encoding (cq 26 added, cq 30 deleted)

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Testing 265 encoding (cq 26 added, cq 30 deleted)

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:14 am
It might just be me but there is one thing I wanted to mention: moving forward or back in the episode used to be completely smooth, but now there is a noticeable delay (sometimes not much but sometimes it's a few seconds). I tend to go back if I didn't finish reading a line, and sometimes I'll go back further to check something and then go forward again and carry on. Am I the only one who has noticed this, or maybe I'm the only one that this happens to? I use VLC Player. If no-one else has this issue then maybe I need to update something.
Just got this feedback. I also notice the video gets kind of weird when hitting the back button, but I just assumed my mpc-hd player was old. Is this an issue anyone else is noticing?
Was this in reference to a specific episode? I'd be happy to double-check things on my end if it was.

My baseline assumption here is that this is a machine that is on the knife's edge of being able to play back HEVC content. I'm not able to reproduce any issues on skipping around with VLC with the latest King-Ohger episode (49).
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Hey @Takenoko, have you been tweaking the encoding settings again? I've noticed that 3 of the last 4 Boonboomger episodes have come out at virtually identical file sizes (780MB). For using constant quality mode, that would be a very interesting coincidence.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 am Hey @Takenoko, have you been tweaking the encoding settings again? I've noticed that 3 of the last 4 Boonboomger episodes have come out at virtually identical file sizes (780MB). For using constant quality mode, that would be a very interesting coincidence.
Still just one pass, cq 25. I guess we can thank Toei for making a consistent show!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 am
ViRGE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 am Hey @Takenoko, have you been tweaking the encoding settings again? I've noticed that 3 of the last 4 Boonboomger episodes have come out at virtually identical file sizes (780MB). For using constant quality mode, that would be a very interesting coincidence.
Still just one pass, cq 25. I guess we can thank Toei for making a consistent show!
Huh. How very strange. Even with identical runtimes, it's rare for HEVC CQ to spit out such consistent bitrates.

Either Sentai really is that formulaic, or you need to go out and buy some lottery tickets. :lol:
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

So on a lark, I plotted the video bitrate of this week's releases: Boonboomger 06 and Gotchard 30.

Although the video bitrate is not a perfect proxy for scene complexity, it's pretty darned close. So this is rather illustrative of where all that additional bitrate is going in recent Sentai releases compared to Kamen Rider.

The intros for both shows are similarly bombastic (moving backgrounds, quick cuts), which causes the bitrate to spike there. But Boonboomger seems to have more going on overall. And the Mario Kart segments are particularly bitrate-intensive. This largely confirms what I expected to find, as the sparkly, irregular environment of the highway dimension is the kind of thing video encoders have trouble with due to the lack of spatial and temporal (frame-to-frame) consistency. Confetti causes the same problem.

I have to imagine those scenes look terrible on the OTA broadcast due to the combination of older codecs and inability to surge the bitrate. :o
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Man Boon, stop spiking all those bitrates. I see one in the opening and in the ending is particularly hungry for bitrates
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:55 am Man Boon, stop spiking all those bitrates. I see one in the opening and in the ending is particularly hungry for bitrates
That is rather on the nose. As far as the OP goes, one of the highest bitrate scenes is the bit with Boon dancing amid all the little drawings of himself. I'm not entirely sure why this is; I guess the drawings must be hard to encode.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

As far as I understand how the algorithm works, the thing that takes up the most data is recording the different vectors for the objects moving. More moving objects, more data?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

More or less correct. Especially if they're moving independently in different directions.

Return to “Playback Help”