My harddrive died

ViRGE
Save the life

Re: My harddrive died

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:15 pm Huh. So what's my next step? I've contacted the mb manufacturer. Do I wait and see if they fix/replace my mb or try buying a different brand?
Assuming your motherboard truly is the culprit (it can be difficult to be 100% sure without swapping out the CPU/RAM), then yes, a new mobo is in your future. If the manufacturer offers an advance RMA - where they send you a new board and put a temporary charge on your credit card for it - then that would be the way to go. Otherwise, a more typical RMA is probably going to take a few weeks. In which case you'll probably want to buy a new board to get things up and running sooner.

You may want to drop by a computer repair shop (or if you know any techie friends, one of those) for a quick testbed parts swap. Getting confirmation that the CPU and RAM are fine - and thus it really is the mobo that's dead - can be helpful, since that way you know exactly what to replace.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Right, I'll contact my local computer place. Thanks for the advice!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

No problem. And sorry again that things haven't gone well. I'm the one that suggested this build, so I feel responsible for things breaking down.:|
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, there's no way you could have predicted all this. Just bad luck. I genuinely do appreciate the help you've given me throughout this process!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So just to update, I brought my computer in on Monday (not before knocking over the glass panel for the case, shattering it into a million pieces). They said there'd be at least a two day delay before they can look at it, but it's Friday now and I still haven't heard anything. If I don't hear anything by this afternoon I'll give them a call

For now, my plan is to move my old computer back downstairs and work off that. It may be old, but it feels more powerful than my laptop. And I do not want to translate off my laptop again this weekend
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Just got a call and they swapped out everything but the motherboard, so they think the issue is the motherboard itself

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hYhcBL

I assume if I pick a different one from this list, it'll work. But what specs should I be watching for? Like do I need to also get a LGA1700 slot? I only have the 32 gb of ram so I don't think that'll be an issue

Edit:
Went with this mb for the replacement:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/N6nypg ... aming-x-ax
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So I bought a new motherboard from amazon, it was supposed to be new. Guess what, they sent me a used one, it was open, there was a thermal paste finger print on it. And the pin for the CPU connectors was broken. I really can't catch a break with this
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Man, I don't even know what to say. Have you been hording bad luck over the years and have made the decision to cash it all out now?

Anyhow, apologies I wasn't around to answer your initial question. Since it looks like you're going to need another motherboard, I may as well answer it.
takenoko wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:01 pm Just got a call and they swapped out everything but the motherboard, so they think the issue is the motherboard itself

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hYhcBL

I assume if I pick a different one from this list, it'll work. But what specs should I be watching for? Like do I need to also get a LGA1700 slot? I only have the 32 gb of ram so I don't think that'll be an issue

Edit:
Went with this mb for the replacement:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/N6nypg ... aming-x-ax
LGA1700 is the socket that your CPU uses. So yes, that was important. Generally speaking (I'm going to ignore the exceptions for now), you want to pair a 13th Generation Core CPU with a motherboard based on the Z790, H770, or B760 chipets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1700# ... 00_series)

Those are in decreasing numerical order, as you go down the stack in terms of features. All of them will work with your chip. But as the handy Wikipedia table notes, each tier drops down in terms of I/O features - fewer SuperSpeed USB ports, fewer SATA ports, fewer PCIe lanes for add-in cards, etc. Z790 is also the only chipset that supports CPU overclocking, but I don't imagine you'll ever be doing that.

At the time I selected the motherboard I did as it struck a good balance between cost and features; the idea being to give you as much flexibility as possible. Especially at that time, full-sized Z790-based boards were not much more expensive than the cheaper options.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the Z790 Lightning is an intrinsically bad board. I think you just got unlucky there and lost the lottery. It happens despite our best efforts. (I have 3 machines around me, all using ASRock boards, *knock on wood*).

In any case, a B760 board will certainly work for you. It's just going to offer more limited I/O expandability down the way if you want to do things like add a couple more M.2 drives, some PCIe cards, etc. I don't know anything about that Gigabyte board in particular. Just reading through the specs as I'm typing this, I've noticed that it only runs its video card slot at PCIe 4.0 speeds, rather than the PCIe 5.0 speeds that the CPU is capable of. This is typical for budget boards. That's not a problem right now (current NVIDIA cards top out at PCIe 4.0 as well), but it is a potential bottleneck down the line if you keep the system around and decide to upgrade it.

As you can see, picking out a motherboard is a ton of fun. The mobo vendors only actually produce a couple of designs per generation, but then they offer half a dozen (or more!) permutations of that design, often moving around PCIe slots or adding/removing additional controllers as they see fit. So it's almost a debilitating degree of choice. :shock:

(And in case you need it, here is a list of compatible motherboards from people who aren't Amazon)
takenoko wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:39 pm So I bought a new motherboard from amazon, it was supposed to be new. Guess what, they sent me a used one, it was open, there was a thermal paste finger print on it. And the pin for the CPU connectors was broken. I really can't catch a break with this
Amazon, unfortunately, is uniquely awful in some ways for technology purchases.

Even if you buy from Amazon directly (and not one of their numerous third-party sellers), the company practices commingled storage. That's where every unit of a product, regardless of where it came from, are stored together in Amazon's warehouses, under the belief that it's all equal. So whether Amazon bought it themselves from their distributor, or if Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net sent it in to have it sold by Amazon (Fulfilled By Amazon), it all goes into the same pile. Which means if CGHMN is sending in counterfeits or other dodgy products, it gets mixed in to the pile that Amazon pulls from when they sell a unit of what is ostensibly their own merchandise.

Amazon's return policies are nothing to write home about, either. Amazon sells a lot of things; their inspectors are often easily tricked (though a thermal paste fingerprint sounds incredibly obvious). This isn't the only story I've heard about returned hardware getting shuffled in. Though in this specific case I won't hazard a guess as to whether this is an Amazon return, or dodgy hardware from a FBA seller.

This is normally a bigger problem with truly commodity products that are widely forged, such as flash memory (SD cards, USB flash drives, etc). Which is why I personally never buy flash memory from Amazon. Apparently I need to add motherboards to that, as well.:|

Anyhow, what you want to do next is your call. Obviously you're going to have to get a return going with Amazon, and you still have the RMA on the ASRock board. Depending on Amazon's mood, they may just send you another Gigabyte board right away. Or they may wait for yours to return first. It's going to come down to how quickly this gets taken care of, versus how quickly you want to get your new (and far more powerful) up and running.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I finally fixed my computer! So yeah, guess it was just the mb all along

>Man, I don't even know what to say. Have you been hording bad luck over the years and have made the decision to cash it all out now?

I guess having the joy of just not having any real computer issues for the 10 years with my win 7 is catching up to me.

>Z790 is also the only chipset that supports CPU overclocking, but I don't imagine you'll ever be doing that.

Yeah, considering everything I don't think I'd want to risk that

>For what it's worth, I don't believe the Z790 Lightning is an intrinsically bad board. I think you just got unlucky there and lost the lottery. It happens despite our best efforts. (I have 3 machines around me, all using ASRock boards, *knock on wood*).

Yeah, as I've clearly experienced, sometimes you can just roll the dice and it comes up bad. Even now, this mother board came in an unsealed box and a bag that was just taped closed. so hopefully this one is new since it had the baggies and manual stuff, but who knows, right?

>now (current NVIDIA cards top out at PCIe 4.0 as well), but it is a potential bottleneck down the line if you keep the system around and decide to upgrade it.

oh yeah, I was just reading earlier that graphics cards were going down in prices before going back up again. I should pick one up at some piont, I guess, but I don't think it actually helps with the video encoding, so that's not really a priority for me

>So it's almost a debilitating degree of choice. :shock:

The joys of choice paralysis lol

>Even if you buy from Amazon directly (and not one of their numerous third-party sellers), the company practices commingled storage.

They were actually pretty quick about it, delivering it the day after a holiday. But man, if they weren't, I'd have been pretty livid considering the condition of t he motherboard they did send me

Anyway, thanks for the in depth answers and advice throughout all this! Appreciate it!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:44 pm Anyway, thanks for the in depth answers and advice throughout all this! Appreciate it!
Don't mention it.

After all, I have a vested self-interest in making sure your computer works; how else am I supposed to get my weekly fix of spandex-clad Japanese stunt actors beating up on each other? :lol:

Return to “Off Topic”