King-Ohger's shooting set

It's good to be the king
Forum rules

King-Ohger Wiki Link

< DonBros |Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger | ??? >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

King-Ohger's shooting set

Post by takenoko »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCcKSuXaII

Seeing this ad for the final Blu-ray set made me feel really bad for the actors. I remember watching Red Letter Media make fun of the Star Wars prequels, and how the actors were basically working with literally nothing but what's in their imaginations. But even those sets had stuff in there to interact with

The King-Ohgers had nothing but a sea of green. I can't imagine feeling immersed in a world that gets added in later with cgi magic. That must have been tremendously hard to perform
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: King-Ohger's shooting set

Post by Lunagel »

I went to the live show and the acting was markedly different. Of course there's always a difference between stage and TV but I can't help but feel like it must have been easier to do the stage shows than the series
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I still find it baffling that anyone thought it was a good idea. I hated King-Ohger in general, but I seriously question the decision to shoot the entire thing like that.

"They couldn't afford to make it look better!"

Well I'd argue a company that's been making television for decades should know their own limits. And maybe if you can't convincingly set the whole show on an alien planet, don't do it?

It's actually really jarring whenever they occasionally used a real location. And the thing is, not all of the virtual sets were even necessary. Could they have not done Kaguragi's place as a real location?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:09 pm Seeing this ad for the final Blu-ray set made me feel really bad for the actors. I remember watching Red Letter Media make fun of the Star Wars prequels, and how the actors were basically working with literally nothing but what's in their imaginations. But even those sets had stuff in there to interact with

The King-Ohgers had nothing but a sea of green. I can't imagine feeling immersed in a world that gets added in later with cgi magic. That must have been tremendously hard to perform
I'm right there with you.

On the one hand, getting anything remotely good out of a heavily virtual production like that is a testament to the actors' skills. On the other hand, it absolutely held back the quality of the show.

Toei went whole-hog on virtual production here. Using chroma-keyed backgrounds is one thing, but so many scenes lacked props or other physical objects to flesh out the world. It made for a very sterile world at times.

At least when you use AR walls, the background is "real" in as much as the cast can see it and work against it. But against a green screen, there is nothing to use as a frame of reference.
Lunagel wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:16 pm I went to the live show and the acting was markedly different. Of course there's always a difference between stage and TV but I can't help but feel like it must have been easier to do the stage shows than the series
I could see it going either way, really. With TV, if you flub a line, at least you can do a new take. With a stage show, there is no room for errors.

I have no doubt the physicality helped. But I have to imagine the whole thing was rehearsed ad nauseam, which would give the actors more of an opportunity to tune their performances.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Could they have not done Kaguragi's place as a real location?

Yeah, the two or three times we shot Ishabaana and Tofu in real places was pretty good. Like the latter is basically just Earth Japan literally

>oei went whole-hog on virtual production here. Using chroma-keyed backgrounds is one thing, but so many scenes lacked props or other physical objects to flesh out the world. It made for a very sterile world at times.

Yeah, the lack of props was what drove me nuts. Like even the Prequels from 20 years ago had different layers of platforms and other stuff

>With TV, if you flub a line, at least you can do a new take. With a stage show, there is no room for errors.

I just imagine with a stage show, yo uhave actual props. You're not just imagining this tennis ball is a cat or whatever

Return to “Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger”