★★★
25%
★★
13%
13%

Total votes: 8
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Re: KR Gotchard 38 thread

Post by Yaiba »

I'm... not feeling it? For the episode introducing the final form, I'm not feeling the hype.

The set up from last episode was for Houtarou to overcome from his despair of killing his Chemy friends and rise to gain a new power. That... didn't happen? He was all fine and sunshine from the get go, there's nothing to overcome. It was actually Nijigon who was depressed because he wanted to go out but he's scared of the outside world. Like... we barely knew this blue egg to have any kind of emotion connection for the final form debut. It just really dampened the impact of the hero overcoming the hardship and remerging to save the day.

For losing the main character, the situation didn't feel hopeless at all. The others were not even slightly desperate. Minato bascially stood around the whole episode. Kudou was supposed to be despair, but her acting wasn't delivering it, and the pep talk she got was exactly five sentences only. Sabi and Renge were the only ones who acted normally, but too little screen time. At least Spanner got some fighting in and remembering he had Custom Up forms.

Can an egg eat?! Is an egg eating omurice cannibalism??

If Hopper1 had been more interactive throughout the series like Nijigon was in this episode, losing him would have been much more impactful. I'm should have feel relieve when he reemerged at the end. I didn't.

So Houtarou was just a normal teen who got a Driver embedded with Nijigon in it, and he used it so much that Nijigon fused with him... Such a boring exposition. All the interesting theories of he was a chemy himself, him being a Homunculus, or his dad was a chemy just went down the drain. I sure hope that there's still some interesting backstories for him, like why to hell were they hiding his dad's face for the whole series if he was just a normal teen.

==============
Production blog
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/39/

Houtarou
It's strange that the main character, who was supposed to be withdrawn into his shell, had a talk with an egg and served it omurice. But that's just Houtarou. He forgot the despair of having to kill his friends because there was someone hungry in front of him.

Because the answer was inside him all along. We should push aside the things that scare us, and never give up on what we've lost and do whatever it takes to get it back. That's the thing that goes beyond logic and is the driving force behind the power-up that surpasses existing values.

As the blog said last week, while Kamen Rider Gatchard has the theme of "cheerful and fun", and it was true that it turned a blind eye to what makes the show "Kamen Rider-like". We as the production team wishes to go beyond the existing values of "If we do it like this, it'll look like a Kamen Rider show." When we tackled the "Kamen Rider-ness" that we had been avoiding all these time, we felt that our wish had been fulfilled when Hourtaro easily overcame it.

However, those of you who have been following for the past eight months will know that Ichinose Houtarou was a normal high school student, but he's a bit... strange?

It wasn't planned out like this. It was the combination result of Motojima Junsei's acting and the different directors of each episode.

Tamagon
When Houtarou first transformed into Gatchard, and when he received the Exgotchalibur, the imagery of the transformation that Houtarou saw was probably a manifestation of Tamagon's power.

The reason Tamagon kept Houtarou around was because Tamagon's conclusion from looking at the world up until now was, "The outside world is scary. It's better not to be born."

But Houtarou will never give up on the Chemys and the others, including Hopper1. He didn't choose to stay inside the egg, he didn't choose to go back out and be depressed, he chose the third option and helped Tamagon got his gotcha. That's Houtarou for you!

By the way, Tamagon's character and stance were also a thing we debated until the very end. We were actually considering a scenario where Tamagon would say, "Houtaro, I want to be born soon!!!"

Houtarou's mom
Minamino (Houtarou's mom)'s heart-touching and incredibly pleasant voice gave depth and a sense of fantasy to the world inside the egg.

Producer Minato said during a meeting, "Even at times like this, he gets hungry". What really keeps him going at "times like this" were the food his mother makes for him. She was the one who understood Houtarou the most, and even without saying much, she guided himon how to overcome his obstacles. This was exactly what Minamino-san had been building up to since the first episode.

The rain
Producer Minato insisted that it would rain until Houtarou returned with the rainbow. Filming took place in early April, but it was still very cold. The cast members acted their roles while being cold and wet. Thank you everyone!!!

By the way, the voice of Chemy Vanfen was provided by Miyahara Kanon-san, Klotho's actress.

Rainbow Gotchard
Houtaro mentioned Tamagon's character changed. Tamagon turned into Nijigon because it was born with "Houtarou-ness" in it.

When you think of Gotchard, you think of arrows. It's his motif. The mask was made as sharp as possible so it'll look like a giant arrow when viewed from the side.

There's also big changes to his fighting style. When Houtarou made omurice in the egg world, he grasped the true essence of alchemy, which was the same as cooking. Even if the ingredients are tiny, by mixing them together, he can create greater power. He'll fight with alchemy using his own free-spirited ideas!

Original Japanese Text
殻にこもったはずの主人公の自己対話の形が卵にオムライスを作って振る舞うという変さ。
でもそれが宝太郎なのです。
友達を手にかけてしまった絶望も、目の前でお腹をすかせた誰かのために一旦忘れる。

なぜなら、答えは最初から自分の中にあったから。
怖いことはみんなで跳ね除ければいいし、失ったものは諦めないで何が何でも取り戻せば良い。
そんな理屈を超えた何かが、既存の価値観を上回っていくパワーアップの原動力なのです。

先週の掲示板で松浦APが語ってくれていましたが、仮面ライダーガッチャードが「明るく!楽しく!」をテーマに掲げる一方で、「仮面ライダー」らしさに目を背けていたのは事実です。 そこには「こうしておけば仮面ライダーっぽいんでしょ?」という既存の価値観を超えたいという我々制作陣の願いもちょっぴり込められていました。そして今回改めて避けてきた「仮面ライダーらしさ」に向き合ってみたとき、宝太郎がそれを軽々と乗り越えてくれたことで我々の願いは果たされたと感じました。

ただし、これまで8ヶ月お付き合いいただいた皆様はお分かりでしょう。
一ノ瀬宝太郎は普通の高校生……
……よりは、若干?ちょっと?ヘンな高校生です笑

この変化は最初は想定してませんでした。
ただ、それは一ノ瀬宝太郎を演じる本島純政という俳優が持つ個性と、
各話監督たちが演出してこられた宝太郎の積み重ねの結果。

------

宝太郎がはじめてガッチャードに変身したとき、
ユーフォーエックスからエクスガッチャリバーを受け取ったときに、
宝太郎が見た変身イメージは、
タマゴンの力が見せていたものでしょう。

宝太郎を引き留めるのは、これまでタマゴンが世界を見てきた結論が、
「外の世界は怖い。生まれない方が良い。」
だから。

結果、1番確かなのは、
ホッパー1含めケミーたちのことは絶対諦めないだろうということでした。
ただ、救い方が分からないことに
絶望は感じているはずで、
それをAでもなくBでもなく、Cから導き出す!
それが「宝太郎」だ!

ちなみに、タマゴンのキャラクター性やスタンスをどうするかも
最後の最後まで練られた部分です。
タマゴンが「宝太郎おれ早く生まれたいんだけど!!!」と
なるパターンも実は考えていたり…

------

岡本さんの心に響く、それでいて半端じゃなく心地よい声が
卵の中の世界に奥行きと幻想感を与えてくださいました。

打ち合わせの際に湊Pが仰っていた
「こんなときでもお腹は減るんだよ」という言葉がとても印象的で、
「こんなとき」に支えられるのは、やっぱりお母さんが作る料理なんだなと。
宝太郎の1番の理解者であり、
多くは語らずとも、壁に立ち向かうヒントをくれる珠美という存在。
これはまさに、1話から南野さんが積み重ねて
作りあげてくださったものです。

------

ちなみに、宝太郎が虹を連れて戻ってくるまでは
雨を降らせるというのは、
当初から湊Pのこだわりでした。

撮影は4月頭でしたが、
まだまだ寒い時期。
キャストさん達も、
濡れる寒さに耐えながら芝居をこなしてくれました。
皆様、ありがとうございました!!!

ちなみに、ヴァンフェンリルの声を担当いただいたのは、
クロトー役、宮原さんです!

------

宝太郎も言っていた
タマゴンからのキャラの変化、
これは宝太郎性が付与されて生まれたからです。

そして、ガッチャードといえば「矢印」。
そのトレードマークがスーツの主体モチーフに。
マスクは横から見て巨大矢印に見えるように
これでもかと鋭利になっています。
そんな横顔もポイントとなっております。

特に今回は戦い方にも大きな変化が。
卵世界でオムライスを作る中で、
錬金術は「料理」と同じ
素材はちっぽけでも、ガッチャンコすることで
大きなパワーを生み出す
錬金術の本質をつかんだ宝太郎。
宝太郎らしい、自由な発想で錬金術を使って
戦います!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeaaaah, it sorta sounds like they wanted something deeper and Houtarou's actor wasn't good enough to present it as is, so they had to write this instead (maybe I'm interpreting too much?)

It's too bad, because I normally love it when they break out a rainy fight. But they just didn't nail the vibes here
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Yaiba wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:06 am Is an egg eating omurice cannibalism??
depends on the egg(s)
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I guess this Blue Screen Of Death wasn't really Shinji-like. To be really Shinji-like Houtarou would have imagined a perfect world where all of the alchemists kids and the Hades sisters all go to the same high school and the grown ups including Geryon are the teachers.

The fact that they ran the opening credits at the end made me think that this was the end of the series for a minute.

I really wasn't feeling Houtarou's plot resolution.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

So Rainbow Gotchard makes Houtarou king of alchemists or at least make him similar to the Gotchard in the Geats summer movie.

I feel like Rainbow should have been the mid-season powerup while Platinum should have been the final form.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm not sure if there's much to add here that hasn't already been said. The lead-in episode wasn't especially strong, and that doesn't do this episode any favors.

I'm normally a big fan of these ultimate form episodes, because the crew usually pulls outs all of the stops in terms of production value and in writing. Conversely, when they don't do that, episodes like these can feel like a bummer.

Most of the good ultimate form episodes share three critical ingredients.

1) The hero is at their absolute lowest point - or often dead. The DGP has ended the world, the partners are completely out of sync, etc.
2) The hero finally beats a face villain with their new power
3) To promote the new form, the stunt choreography is over the top
4) The new form comes with a banger of a song

This episode really only delivers on #1. And even then, as others have already outlined, Houtarou's funk is just kind of brushed-off at the half way point.

#2 flat-out doesn't happen. Instead, he just beats a MOTW. Admittedly, it's what's supposed to be a crazy powerful MOTW, but a MOTW all the less, and one that was just introduced in this episode, at that. (And speaking of face villains, all three Sisters are completely absent once again)

#3 doesn't really happen. There's pretty limited stunt fighting; most of Rainbow Gotchard's fight is CGI.

And while #4 is subjective, I'm of the opinion that the series blew its soundtrack wad with What's Your Fire. Which is why Toei has kept using it for so long after it was introduced.

Basically, there's virtually nothing about this episode that's memorable. The series basically spent what would be the ultimate form plot on Platinum and defeating Geryon (episode 27), and it didn't have anything better to draw upon for this episode.

I do kind of feel like a dunce for not realizing that Houtaro's cooking was a proxy for alchemy, though. So I'm glad they spelled that out for us idiots in the back. :oops:

And having seen Rainbow Gotchard in action, I stand by my initial observations last week. It's really kind of a garish suit, and the shoulders are ridiculous. Actually, I think my biggest complaint is that it just doesn't look like a Gotchard suit. The helmet is too big of a departure from his base form.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:50 pm so was the 101st chemy in the belt or in houtarou? Because how does that connect to the fact that Houtarou knew Hopper1 and Steamliner 10 years ago?
The chemy was in the belt. And to answer the second question, there's always 1 more mystery after a rider gets their final form. So I expect we'll finally get the well drug-out answer to that some time around episode 45.
The platinum gotchard story beats and upgrade just outclass this episode by a mile.
*nods in sage agreement*
Yaiba wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:06 amLike... we barely knew this blue egg to have any kind of emotion connection for the final form debut. It just really dampened the impact of the hero overcoming the hardship and remerging to save the day.
And that really is the rub with this episode. Instead of the plastic grasshopper that only says one word, the emotional beat for this episode is a new character we've never seen before. It lacks the necessary build-up.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I do kind of feel like a dunce for not realizing that Houtaro's cooking was a proxy for alchemy, though. So I'm glad they spelled that out for us idiots in the back. :oops:

Well, Houtarou himself doesn't realize it till this episode. Also, I thought he became a decent alchemist post winter movie, at least people were treating him as less of an idiot. But maybe it was just because the mage school stopped being a thing for a long while? It does feel like a cinema sin to have this show be about an alchemy school and the main guy doesn't actively practice alchemy for the first 40 episodes and it's not really a major plot point till his final form makes him a good one retroactively...

>And that really is the rub with this episode. Instead of the plastic grasshopper that only says one word, the emotional beat for this episode is a new character we've never seen before. It lacks the necessary build-up.

I doubt they planned this far ahead, but if the 101st Chemy was the Chemy inside the belt, why didn't Houtarou have more instances of "hey, that was a weird thing that happened". To be honest, I don't even recognize the scene they reference where Houtarou asks if Eggbert was behind it. Like what would this show have been like if this had been a character from the very beginning instead of the judgemental voice of god going "I've been watching you all this time, and I think you should be in a shell, like me". It's stupid because it goes against what he's been observing from Houtarou all this time. like "Houtarou, I've watched you all this time and I want to experience life and making friends, but I'm afraid" would be one thing. But it's just "I see other Chemys becoming monsters, that's scary". Like what did he learn watching from the belt all this time?

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”