My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 39 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 3.375 of 5 stars (8 votes)

lol, what was that move Spanner did to summon his cards

Put Spanner's mom back inthe lab basement

Man is Nijigon's voice annoying

Gigist's eye TV is pretty cool

Kajiki, why did you say dog food in English?

Dino animation is bad. You know Jurassic Park did great dino animations back in the 90s, right?

Has that rainbow always been in the opening?

Did they hire an intern to animate that dino?

Why a cowboy outfit?

Atropos passing the abuse around

I was going to ask why Rinne was dressed like that, but I guess that's what she was wearing under the dino outfit

Still have no idea what Lakhesis thingy is

The fans are What the heck? and Ya like it? in Kansai-ben and Renge's got a tiger stripe scarf on. The Osaka power is strong

Look at that fake bone coming out of the roast lol. This show really is a cartoon

Youd' think the last two cards would be like super powerful, not some rando glutton card. Nice agbandoned bathhouse

They caught those pokemon so quickly

I wish Houtarou wasn't saying this while dressed as Crocodile Dundee. What is this dramatic music? Is this a major episode?

Is... is this a final battle?

Being able to create Gotchard clones feels overpowered. Although it is a neat theme that if the bad guy can turn the Chemys into monsters, Houtarou being able to turn them into Riders is neat

Wait, is Gigist really dead? Feels like killing the last boss in the middle of a weekly card collecting level episode? Not that Gigist was a very good last boss

Every time Nijigon talks I want to complain about how annoying his voice is

Oh right, Kyouka's one quirk is she puts the green leaves on the food

Why doesn't someone shut that door??

Be sure to buy the rainbow rares!

So, what can I say about the Gigist arc? He's a main villain that never really developed a relationship with any of the characters around him. He's like the new commander that replaces the first commander that dies in a Sentai but not the last boss.

Despite supposedly being so powerful and important, he just never was. His intro was sidelined by the Legend arc and he played the part as a major antagonist for story beats that didn't really work for how new and underdeveloped he was. So it's pretty fitting that he got dispatched with the gravity of a monster of the week. Sorry, but an epic speech and playing the new fight song doesn't change7 the fact that this guy sorta sucked as a villain. The writer didn't believe that, so why should the viewer?

Edit:
THat's a weird retcon. Nijigon doesn't say Rainbow Breath in 38, but he does in the flashback with Kyouka
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Re: KR Gotchard 39 thread

Post by Yaiba »

The writers remember Kyouka's quirk of adding coriander to everything. Lakhesis is going to inherit this trait, given this is the first thing she ever eat...

Kloto can't control that much power and is going mad. She still has the Dreadriver (it's voiced by Gigist btw). Now that she has her own fighting form, will we ever see KR Dread again?

I miss Geryon. He actually felt threating as a villian. Please find some way to bring him back, Atropos.

The narrator said Houtarou just learn the basic of alchemy? What had him been doing as an alchemy student for the past eight months?

Is Houtarou dressing as Indiana Jones for dinosaurs hunting

I'm not vibing with the blue dragon. All of their interactions with Nijigon should have been with Hopper1. Rainbow Gotchard should have came from Hopper1 powering-up by all 100 Chemys or something.

I'm glad they didn't show the meeting with the alchemy council and spare us the same song and dance. Minato finally decided to do something about it too.

And at last, we're going to get some answers about Fuuga.

=============
Production blog
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/40/

When Nijigon use Rainbow Breath on the Chemys and the cards they turn rainbow-colored. The rainbow-colored Chemys cannot be stained by the darkness, they won't become a Malgam. This ability was made possible by the collaboration between Houtarou, who aims for symbiosis between Chemys and humans, and Nijigon, who was born from Houtarou.

When Rainbow Gatchard loads a Rainbow Chemy Card into his belt, he can summon a Rainbow Chemy or another Gatchard. That's the Gotcha Brothers.

Gigist cannot even comprehend that Chemys would fight as a Kamen Rider of their own volition.

Minato stated he'll dissolve the Alchemy Alliance and asked Spanner for help. Look forward to the actions from the adult team.

And finally, a fun off-shot of the adults! (The confetti from Minato's confetti cannon all landed on Lakhesis and Kyouka)

Image Image
Japanese Text
「レインボーブレス」をすると、ケミーとカードが虹色に!
そして、虹色化されたケミーは、冥黒に染まらず、=マルガムになりません
ケミーと人の共生を目指す宝太郎と、そんな宝太郎から生まれたニジゴンとがガッチャンコした事で可能になった能力です。

そして!ガッチャーブラザーズ!
レインボー化したケミーカードをレインボーガッチャードがベルトに装填すると、レインボー状態の(マルガム化しない)ケミーやもうひとりのガッチャードを召喚することができるように!

ケミーがまさか、自分たちの意思で仮面ライダーとして戦うとは、ギギストの理解は全く追いつきません。

ミナトの錬金連合解体宣言、それに対するスパナの反応、大人組の新たな動きにもご注目ください!

最後は大人組のわちゃわちゃオフショット!
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/gotchard/item/

According to the TV Asahi site, all the Chemy Cards are list out. Only Plant 6 and Fantastic 5 have yet to appear on screen in the remaining episodes, still these two cards are already on the card list.

For the Insect and Vehicle categories, the power-up version of the cards still haven't appear at all. Hopefully, they will appear as well.
Androzani84
Quote: I fear that someday people will cite quotes I never said - Albert Einstein

Post by Androzani84 »

decade368990 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:12 am https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/gotchard/item/
Only Plant 6 and Fantastic 5 have yet to appear on screen in the remaining episodes,
You clearly haven’t been watching much of the show. Utsubocchama appeared in the movie and Inphoenix was in the HBV and episode 28.
For the Insect and Vehicle categories, the power-up version of the cards still haven't appear at all. Hopefully, they will appear as well.
Again, have you been watching much of the show? There are literally three power up forms from those “power-up versions”.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Hey chill out a bit. We're all here to have a good time
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

With 101 freaking cards it's okay if you forget a few
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Alright. So we're at episode 39, Gotchard just got his final form power-up. Now the story can get moving again.

Oh, never mind. Gigist is dead?!

Suffice it to say, this episode has left me with severe whiplash. We start off with a silly dinosaur hunt and end with the death of the series' current big-bad. It's all very uneven.

Most of the back-half of this episode really feels like it should have been in episode 38, when Gotchard got his final form. Instead, in 38 we got a watered-down debut for Rainbow Gotchard as he defeated a random MOTW, and only now, an episode later, do we get the kind of interactions with Gigist (and Nijigon) that you would have expected from the setup in the previous episode. It feels like someone really wanted to wrap up Q3 on a conclusive and upbeat note, but then they had to put Rainbow's debut in 38. I like how things ended overall, but it's just so very disjoint; and Rainbow's premiere suffered for it. (Digging through the Wiki, I see Gotchard's lead writer did 38/39, but another writer did 36/37. So that helps to explain the disjoint nature; the setup for 38 was written by someone else)

It's not unusual for Kamen Rider to swap out the big bad near the start of Q4 - revealing the even bigger bad - but I have to admit I didn't see it coming in Gotchard. I figured Gigist was it. After all, he's the thing beyond the Dark Door that created all the chemys. So what could be an even bigger bad than that? Apparently, we'll find out next week. But the lack of any foreshadowing here makes it look like weak writing (and I'm going to be generous here and assume that the writers aren't flat-out making it up as they go along).

I can't say I'll miss Gigist, though. As Takenoko so eloquently outlined, Gigist was a one-dimensional chump. Even by the standards of suited villains, he lacked enough characterization and screen time to be an effective villain. He was a wall, rather than a character with some kind of agency. It's damn hard to do a good big bad with a suited monster in Kamen Rider, and this is why your big bad is normally a face character...

Speaking of face characters, we finally get some progress on all of the plot threads for the Sisters again, including Lakhesis appearing for the first time in what feels like at least a month. When the writers actually give the Sisters something to do, their plot lines are typically the most interesting thing going on in Gotchard, and this episode is no exception to that. But because they're this series' face villains, the story suffers quite a bit when they're not around since there's no one else on the bad guys' side to pick up the slack.

Since I was expecting Gigist to stick around, I figured he'd earn the ire of Atropos to the point where she'd go after him. But his early demise put the kibosh on that. Still, my expectations were half-met, with Gigist underscoring that he doesn't care about the Sisters in the slightest. if he hadn't been defeated here, there would be good reason to question why the Sisters even bothered trying to serve him. "Shut up, you damn puppet!" is pretty damn harsh.:shock:

In any case, this episode served as a refresher/double-down moment for their plot lines. Klotho wants her family back together, Atropos wants her daddy back, and Lakhesis, the only one with any brains it seems, just wants to get the hell out of there and live a normal life with takoyaki and Spanner. I do hope the writers can pull together a good final arc for the Sisters; it's hard to envision this series ending with anything above a mediocre rating if the writers blow the series' most interesting story.

Side note: is Lakhesis' actress really that pale? Or is it makeup? In these close-up shots next to Kyouka, her paleness really stands out.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:27 pm Man is Nijigon's voice annoying
The previous episode didn't seem so bad. But somehow the VA's performance has gotten worse since he hatched. It's too energetic; it's too Jar-Jar. :shock:
Being able to create Gotchard clones feels overpowered. Although it is a neat theme that if the bad guy can turn the Chemys into monsters, Houtarou being able to turn them into Riders is neat
The cynical side of me feels like Bandai is demanding that Toei show off the earlier forms one last time for toy sales. But your point about this being the inverse of malgalizing the chemys is a pretty good one.
Why doesn't someone shut that door??
Right? Especially with Gotchard's new uber alchemist powers.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:58 am Kloto can't control that much power and is going mad. She still has the Dreadriver (it's voiced by Gigist btw). Now that she has her own fighting form, will we ever see KR Dread again?
My money is on no, especially as Klohto's new combat form was created to give the actress a chance to show off. But there's only so much they can do stunt-wise with a partially-suited character.
I miss Geryon. He actually felt threating as a villian. Please find some way to bring him back, Atropos.
Agreed! This show badly needs a face villain driving the evil plots.
Houtarou's outfit seems to be a weird amalgamation of Indiana Jones and Dr. Alan Grant (specifically, the version from Jurassic World 3). It's not really a good match to either of them, but follows the generic archaeologist-adventurer style that the two of them embodied. FWIW, I suspect production was going more for Grant, but I base that mostly on the fact that JW3 only came out two years ago.
I'm glad they didn't show the meeting with the alchemy council and spare us the same song and dance. Minato finally decided to do something about it too.
Speaking of things I didn't see coming. I didn't think Minato had it in him. :o
Androzani84 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:22 am You clearly haven’t been watching much of the show. Utsubocchama appeared in the movie and Inphoenix was in the HBV and episode 28.
Keep in mind that most of us haven't seen the winter movie yet.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Oh, never mind. Gigist is dead?!

Now people are complaining the plot is moving too fast?! lol

>"Shut up, you damn puppet!" is pretty damn harsh.:shock:

Oh yeah, I totally was expecting Atropos to come in at the end to finish him off. The flags are all there and everything

>Side note: is Lakhesis' actress really that pale? Or is it makeup? In these close-up shots next to Kyouka, her paleness really stands out.

SHe's definitely pale, but I think that's makeup
https://www.instagram.com/sakamaki.alisa/
Houtarou's outfit seems to be a weird amalgamation of Indiana Jones and Dr. Alan Grant (specifically, the version from Jurassic World 3). It's not really a good match to either of them, but follows the generic archaeologist-adventurer style that the two of them embodied. FWIW, I suspect production was going more for Grant, but I base that mostly on the fact that JW3 only came out two years ago.

I didn't know we were dinosaur hunting
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's just weird that both Boomboonger 15 and this episode both have dinosaurs involved. Was there some dinosaur week/day in Japan that no one else outside of Japan knows about?

The problem with Nijigon's voice is that the person who voices him doesn't usually that type of voice. Their main voice is usually loud, angry, and arrogant ie Bakugo from My Hero Academica. So it's basically a case that they probably cast the wrong VA for the role. I hope that Gigast's VA gets a better role in the future because he was wasted here.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:50 am >Oh, never mind. Gigist is dead?!

Now people are complaining the plot is moving too fast?! lol
I know, I know, we're such picky people. I just would rather have the plot moving at a nice, constant 60mph. Rather than oscillating between 0 and 100, and randomly aiming for the nearest wall. :shock:
>"Shut up, you damn puppet!" is pretty damn harsh.:shock:

Oh yeah, I totally was expecting Atropos to come in at the end to finish him off. The flags are all there and everything
Somehow I don't think the other Hades Kings(?) are going to be any better. So we may yet get some delicious payoff there.
Phoenix512 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:22 am It's just weird that both Boomboonger 15 and this episode both have dinosaurs involved. Was there some dinosaur week/day in Japan that no one else outside of Japan knows about?
That's a really good point. Both shows doing the same theme on the same week is quite the coincidence. Luna?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I got nothing, haven't heard of any particular dinosaur thing recently to warrant two episodes
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's probably a coincidence. These stories were probably plotted out months in advance, it seems pretty unlikely that they decided "This is the week we both have dinos"

It's more a "Toei likes visiting the dinosaur well and drawing up a tall slurp of dinosaurs". How long till the next dino sentai comes around again? You'll be shocked to learn it's sooner than you think
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

It's not just me, right? The cgi for the chemies seemed significantly worse this episode compared to earlier in the series.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger, King-Ohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: BoonBoomger
Fave: Kyoryuger
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So, the big question now will be "who is the final boss?". I doubt it will be a trio of kings from Hades. Perhaps the only reason they will show up will be halfway through their arc the Hades Sisters make up and find meaning in being together so they crash the party when Hotarou and his two summoned buddies are fighting the Hades Kings and say "how can you have a trios match without the best trio of all, the Hades Sisters!" and they kick some bad guy butt as their redemption arc.

So who is the final boss? Houtarou's dad? Rinne's dad? Tuxedo Minato? Kajiki? Neo-Geryon? Super Genius Professor Kyouka? How about Dark Rinne (when Atropos is redeemed her evilness leaves her body and goes back to Rinne, the original owner)? Houtarou's yo-yo wielding mom? The cloaked academy NPC's? The cult leader chemy? The random grunt alchemist who Spanner defeated?

Dino-Rinne and Dino-Renge was a cute bit. It was a good use of Rinne's actress not being able to act to have her try to act like a dino and fail miserably. Unfortunately, she had to act again when she made her entrance to save Lakhesis. She's no Sailor Moon at entrances, unfortunately.

Will all this card stuff just be for the Ganbarider game or will there be a pokemon rip off spin off game?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, we still don't know who Houtarou's dad is. There had better be some massive payout for this and not just a cheap gag/completely forgetting about it after all those times the camera focused on his photo.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”