My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Boonboomger 17 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.25 out of 5 (8 votes)

high class boonboomger. Are we doing the heist? Meanwhile Taiya looks the same

lol the standoff

Wait, if Boonboomger is BoonBoom's creation, why is it written on Byun's forehead??

Thank goodness for Shirabe's robo fetish

Never noticed that blue has a 128 gb usb stick on his desk (probably for spy stuff?) and some document saying international legal affair department

No sixth ranger in the op yet. Y'know, Byun looks like he can transform into a formula racer. Boon has to grow so much to turn into a truck

Don't fall asleep around Cannonborg. Looks like the three seaters are all on track for betraying them

Those gym guys look familiar

Imagine being these robo guys and being forced to get a tattoo when you join a racing team lol

Sorry Violet, but everything about using the controller still looks super lame to me

I've never noticed the Boonboomger belts are seat belts

Taiya, yu're super rich, just give him money

Oh, they modified Yalcar to abbreviate the highway sequence

It's pretty funny that Byndi is his own driver in the race car

Well, that's an interesting way of messing with a car sentai

lol, Boondorio rolls in a tire twice the size of the actual tire, but it's okay, they fix it with cgi

ooh face open...

Gotta make the debut of Byun's mecha fight good! Oh, off they go. Kinda wish Violet would join the Boonboomgers, dragging it out over 3 episodes isn't great pacing for me. I'm ready for some other stories now

Shu Matsu something? Weekend?

The mystery of Boom Violet... for next week

Taiya's a bit weird looking outside his usual get up

Oh no, will Violet fight the Boonboomgers? But they include footage of him clearly joining their side by the end lol. Why build up that suspense in the preview? The kids might get too stimulated

Huh. Did we find out why Boon doesn't want to see Byun? It feels like that plot is resolved, even though I don't think we ever learned what the falling out was? I can see why Byun wouldn't want to see Boon, since he disappeared on him??
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Re: Boonboomger 17 discussion thread

Post by Yaiba »

Everyone's secretly a gangster. I'm digging Taiya's mafia don and Genba's bartender personality. I'd watch a whole show of that.

I guess people can use Boonbario's gadgets without being a Boonboomger? Was that why last week Sakito went to mess with the 5 people giving off the gadgets' wavelength, not realizing they were Boonboongers. So he was still surprised when the Hashiriyans told him about the 5 Boonboomgers on Earth?

Boonbario has cameras set up everywhere, including the gym...

Nice, they gave an in-universe explanation on why the MOTW can grow without burning budget on the cgi race track anymore... and then still self-roasted the name on being simple...

When Boonbario said "Tyre Change", KR Drive immediately popped into my head.

So... was the thing between Boonbario and ByunDi resolved? Did they explain what that thing was at all?

======
Production Blog
https://www.toei.co.jp/entertainment/tv ... _3963.html

Jou's hairstyle looked a bit funny, but it was not a joke. When he tried on a tuxedo during costume fitting, he looked so cool and it didn't suit Jou's character.

Before filming, we gave Genba a shaker and showed him a video of a bartender so he could practice shaking. He practiced so much that he said his wrists hurt, and it looked amazing. Very cool.

Just then, Sakito and Boon Diesel arrived.
Did they come on their own, or had they been summoned?
"Boondrio Bunderas doesn't want to meet you," they told him.

When the script was being written, there was some opinions on whether Mira's gun pulling should be slower. After all, she's the hero that's closest to an ordinary person. However, she's been fighting with her comrades for so long, we came to the conclusion that it would be wrong to depict the difference in their abilities at this point, and so we decided to make her the same as others.

A better look at the trading card. By the way, this is Boom Violet's suit actor, Tsutamune Masato.
Original Japanese Text
齋藤さんの髪型がちょっと面白いのはもちろんふざけているわけではなく、衣裳合わせでタキシードを着ていただいたらかっこよすぎてしまい、錠のキャラクターではなくなってしまったからです。

相馬さんには、撮影前にシェイカーをお渡しし、バーテンダーの動画をお見せしてシェイクの練習していただきました。
「手首が痛い」と仰るくらい練習された結果、めちゃくちゃ様になってますね。かっこよいです。

そこへやってくる、先斗とビュン・ディーゼル。
…やってきたのか、呼び出した、のか…?
「ブンドリオ・ブンデラスは会いたくないそうだ」と告げると

実は脚本打ちの際、「ミラだけ遅らせるか?」という意見も出ていました。1番一般人に近いヒーローですからね。
ですがここまでずっと仲間たちと戦い続けてきて、実力の差を描くのは今さら違うのではという結論に至り、こんなにバシッと決めてくれちゃったわけです。

戦いを終え、歩いていく先斗がポケットから出したのは、1枚のトレーディングカード。
(この顔知ってる!と興奮したあなたはスーツアクターさんファンですね)
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Pronouns: Male
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

Yaiba wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:55 am When Boonbario said "Tyre Change", KR Drive immediately popped into my head.
You and me both lol.
Actually, now that I think about it, Drive's 10th anniversary is this year. Would it be too much to ask for Mr. Toei to give us a crossover?
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger, King-Ohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: BoonBoomger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Zerato wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:21 am
Actually, now that I think about it, Drive's 10th anniversary is this year. Would it be too much to ask for Mr. Toei to give us a crossover?
Considering Driver's actor is literally household-name level famous, Kiriko has a lead role on a prime-time drama this July, Mach has a bunch of stuff and just recently got married to one of the biggest current models... Yeah, Toei can't afford them anymore.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Pronouns: Toast
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Really? That Mach?
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger, King-Ohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: BoonBoomger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:06 am Really? That Mach?
You mean Mr. Fujita Nicole. This image was splashed over the morning/afternoon shows for a few weeks:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvhFDNihC1x/
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It's hard for an episode to go wrong when it opens up to a scene at a classy bar with everyone dressed up. I rather like that this team doesn't have uniforms, as Mira's color-of-the-week bit aside, it gives them the flexibility to do something like this. (And it gets Jou out of those lame overalls! :lol:) I'm actually kind of disappointed that the cold open ended with a face gag from Shirabe; it was rocking its coolness up to that point.

To be honest, I expected this episode to delve more into Violet's backstory. So the focus on Al ByunDi and BoonBoom was a bit of a surprise. Though it makes sense in context, given the focus on the mecha action.

I have to surmise that Toei's model team must have been absolutely jazzed to be doing another car series, precisely because it gives them an excuse to make complex RC car models like ByunDi (they were really proud of the Go-Onger cars). In fact, it's a bit of a shame that ByunDi is the only vehicle to be a physical model, because it means we aren't going to see nearly as much of it as we would the core 5's vehicles. None the less, it's interesting to see what Toei has come up with.

Conceptually, ByunDi's vehicle mode is interesting. But a robotic car that drives itself - literally, with a steering wheel - is definitely out there.:lol: I'm not sure it makes any kind of logical sense (though it clearly makes the robot transformation for the toy easier), but it's definitely an inspired choice. You can't accuse them of not going all-in on the formula 1 motif here.

The other highlight of this episode is the suit actors for the Three Seaters. Running a treadmill in those bulky, foam-rubber suits! Even at that kind of slow speed, that cannot be in any way comfortable. So kudos to the suit actors for enduring on that one.

Also, I think this episode qualifies as breaking the fourth wall with Cannonborg's speech about the highway beam? They were looking right at the camera, and there was no one around for them to address besides the audience.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:28 pm Those gym guys look familiar
They were also in an early episode of Boonboomger, weren't they? I want to say around episode 6 or so?
Sorry Violet, but everything about using the controller still looks super lame to me
Preach it!
I've never noticed the Boonboomger belts are seat belts
Huh, I'm surprised to hear that. Especially when they transfer into their cars, it's made pretty obvious.
Is it weird I actually feel kind of bad for Yalcar? Despite being an inanimate object, the VA and props teams are doing a good job of giving it some personality.
lol, Boondorio rolls in a tire twice the size of the actual tire, but it's okay, they fix it with cgi
Yeah, the forced perspective shot can't really fix that one. :(
ooh face open...
Face open with red eyes...
The mystery of Boom Violet... for next week
Boonboomger has been so easy going that the hard cliffhanger ending really caught me by surprise. The series hasn't had one of those so far. :shock:
Huh. Did we find out why Boon doesn't want to see Byun? It feels like that plot is resolved, even though I don't think we ever learned what the falling out was? I can see why Byun wouldn't want to see Boon, since he disappeared on him??
Not completely, no. I don't believe we've ever been told how Boon lost his grand prix license in the first place, so the implication there is that he was involved in something extremely shameful that both cost him his license and his ability to face Byun.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:55 am Everyone's secretly a gangster. I'm digging Taiya's mafia don and Genba's bartender personality. I'd watch a whole show of that.
Only if they still get to fight a MOTW every week.
Nice, they gave an in-universe explanation on why the MOTW can grow without burning budget on the cgi race track anymore... and then still self-roasted the name on being simple...
I laughed harder at that joke than I really should have. :lol: It's a really good use of hanging the lampshade. But I also imagine most everyone will be glad that the show isn't going to be doing a highway dimension scene each week now.
When the script was being written, there was some opinions on whether Mira's gun pulling should be slower. After all, she's the hero that's closest to an ordinary person. However, she's been fighting with her comrades for so long, we came to the conclusion that it would be wrong to depict the difference in their abilities at this point, and so we decided to make her the same as others.
I appreciate that they put so much thought into that little detail, even though by going that route, it doesn't directly add anything to the story. Those kinds of little details really add up over time.
Lunagel wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:19 am Considering Driver's actor is literally household-name level famous, Kiriko has a lead role on a prime-time drama this July, Mach has a bunch of stuff and just recently got married to one of the biggest current models... Yeah, Toei can't afford them anymore.
Huh, well I'll be dipped. I always thought the core cast of Drive was above average, but I wouldn't have expected all of them to become mainstream stars. Especially Go's actor. (Judging by that picture, he's clearly done well for himself :shock: )
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Also, I think this episode qualifies as breaking the fourth wall with Cannonborg's speech about the highway beam? They were looking right at the camera, and there was no one around for them to address besides the audience.

maybe. but cannonborg is also a literal mad scientist, and their weapon looks likea doll
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:28 pm Those gym guys look familiar
They were also in an early episode of Boonboomger, weren't they? I want to say around episode 6 or so?

Probably. I need to make the wiki for these week's episodes so I can probably fill that in

>Huh, I'm surprised to hear that. Especially when they transfer into their cars, it's made pretty obvious.

I just never noticed the little red square to indicate that's where the belt clips on
Is it weird I actually feel kind of bad for Yalcar? Despite being an inanimate object, the VA and props teams are doing a good job of giving it some personality.

Oh yeah, as far as car/robot people go, I'm sure Cannonborg has crossed a line. The Three Seaters are definitely not happy with their current situation, probably to Cannonborg's detriment

>Not completely, no. I don't believe we've ever been told how Boon lost his grand prix license in the first place, so the implication there is that he was involved in something extremely shameful that both cost him his license and his ability to face Byun.

That's what I thought. It's kind of frustrating because this show isn't a mystery box. We're not coming in each week hoping for Taiya to reveal his sordid past or purple guy's sordid past as a kid. It really goes against the show's easy going goofy episode of the week formatting

>Huh, well I'll be dipped. I always thought the core cast of Drive was above average, but I wouldn't have expected all of them to become mainstream stars. Especially Go's actor. (Judging by that picture, he's clearly done well for himself :shock: )

I assume his wife hasn't seen Kamen Rider Drive lol
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:19 am
Zerato wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:21 am
Considering Driver's actor is literally household-name level famous, Kiriko has a lead role on a prime-time drama this July, Mach has a bunch of stuff and just recently got married to one of the biggest current models... Yeah, Toei can't afford them anymore.
Highly recommend Kimi to Sekai ga Owaru Hi Ni for anyone who's not watched it. It's basically Japanese The Last of Us, starring Kamen Rider Drive, and also has Kyoryu Violet in a major role.

I watched one episode of Kiriko's drama Raise de wa Chanto Shimasu. Not really my thing. Good if you want to hear Kamen Rider actors talking about dirty things though.

Mach I've not watched anything with him in. I know he was in Hare-Kon, where I think one of his wives is Saikyou Battle Rita.

Honestly in general I'd recommend checking out toku actors' other works. Some amazing things I've discovered by following that. And some abysmal stuff.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's always fun to go "Oh, outside of Toei stuff you can actually act" lol
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:21 pm It's always fun to go "Oh, outside of Toei stuff you can actually act" lol
Recently I was watching something and didn't even realize it was Ex-Aid's actor in it because holy shit he was actually acting! With nuance!

Although I have to admit, the biggest dark horse is Shunpei from Wizard. I cannot believe how many roles and how much acclaim he's been getting recently.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's shocking. But when the only material you're given is the magic words chant and being a general nothing for a series, it's not hard to only go up from there
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Shout out to Momoninger in Shinyuu wa Akujo. Watched that recently and it was fun seeing Kasumi in something better than Ninninger.

The following week I watched her in the movie "N Gotou", which may be one of the most boring movies I have seen in my life.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron