My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 42 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 3.5 of 5 stars (8 votes)

What is this weird effect during this scene?

Houtarou, what are those vials you're holding?

Oh no, are the best couple fighting?

Houtarou's just thrown acid on RInne, but Spanner doesn't respond to the plights of other people

lol, Rinne's reaction shot to Spanner is pretty good though

What? Why did Spanner fall down?

Sabi's brother looks familiar

You know, the show is almost over. And with me finally getting Gotchard & Geats done (reminding me of the early series), I'm surprised the father plot line hasn't been resolved yet

Wait, there's an alchemy laboratory where the 102nd Chemy was spotted, but you guys went out there before even contacting them and asking what's up? Not to cinema sins it, but that's a pretty dumb plot hole

What a surprise, all the alchemists are either corrupt or mad scientists

Hey writer, just for world building's sake, why not explain why alchemists can't create new Chemy now, since they were able to make 101 of them in the past

mad scientist lady is not at all suspicious. we should totally let her be alone after acting like that to geryon's ressurrection

oh, alchemists are into AI. It's the end. I notice the Geats chemy drawing in the background. Who wants to bet these are all submissions from kids who watch the show?

Why didn't we get more of this messing with chemistry and this alchemist society shit like 40 episodes ago?

Hey kid, get out of here

I do enjoy the tank Malgam having treads for arms. Fun design

They can't move but they can cast magic

Any time we go to her point of view the camera is at a weird angle, you guys notice that?

Smart having the flying Gotchard in distant shots. You can use that CGI without it looking too cheap or out of place

Things sorta seemed serious for a bit, but now it's a cgi cartoon

That was pretty flawed, but I sort of liked this episode. We have Rinne and Renge talking, which makes you wonder why we didn't get more of that earlier. And having the magic school interact with people in their society that aren't directly in the magic school of 5 people makes a big difference. There's a girl who's basically mini Sabi? Why not! Let's normalize neural divergent people

If you can't give us the sisters, at least have the heroes doing something interesting

If you walked in any video store in the 90s and browsed the b movie/anime/foreign section, you've probably seen the cover for Misa the Dark Angel. That's the woman who plays the mad scientist lady
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: KR Gotchard 42 thread

Post by Mxylv »

I like the weird villain visuals at the beginning. Kinda reminds me of some of Kuuga's Grongi mysterious-meetup scenes where traditional concepts of sensible lighting and camerawork were thrown out the door. Not exactly sure what happened with the kings apparently melting Geryon into a puddle just for the latter to be fine later, though.

I'm also not sure how to feel about the AISAACs. It helps resolve the previously-unexplained presence and relevance of the talking tablet, but given how it was described, it probably wasn't meant for speaking one's native language for them. Is the implication that it's helping nonverbal or (likely in Sabi's case) socially anxious people, or is it causing people to rely on it, perhaps thinking it's more convenient than forming one's own sentences? I'm not sure they addressed why both Sabi and the kid were talking through it, so it only sort-of-clarifies things.

Nonetheless, the laboratory adds a critical worldbuilding element; the outside world has felt largely devoid of life in spite of multiple crowd scenes and guest characters, and even this location indicates the existence of neutral parties, giving the world of alchemy far more life than just the school/lab, the probably-corrupt council, and wherever the bad guys are scheming. The overall world contributes massively to a show's atmosphere and perception, and if we had more of this earlier, it'd probably feel like a better show even if the story and characters stayed roughly the same. We're getting close to the ending, but hopefully they can fit a bit more worldbuilding in beforehand.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

I enjoyed this episode. The pacing was good, plot's not going 100mph, and people had appropriate reaction to things at appropriate times. Minato even frown at his students' nonsense. And they even added some horror elements to boot.

Lol, Minato. Not wanting to explain to Spanner why Rinne was on the floor, he just straight up ignored Spanner's question, and then sent him away on a babysit mission.

Last time, Hotarou went with Rinne to Renge's hometown without Spanner. This time, he went with Spanner to Sabi's hometown without Rinne. Can the Academy only afford a business trip for 2 Riders at a time or something?

Hmmm... Geryon was able to take over Germain because of this soul alchemy thing? Should have foreshadow this beforehand instead of scrambling to explain it after the fact. I mean, Issac had been around forever, they could have just explain what it was early on.

There were two personalities in that Malgam. One was the director, who was the other? A hidden side of the director or the chemy itself?

Is this a warzone now? We have fighter jets with NeedleHawk, Gotchard crawling in the trenches, and cannons firing everywhere... By the way Hotarou, don't stand up when taking cover in the trenches, you'll get shot in the back.

Not expecting to see MadPirates appearing again at all, so that's a nice surprise.

...Did Hotarou just jammed his rainbow horn up Spanner's butt...? (don't take it out of context :P)

Yay, it's Dread. I love the suit design, glad he'll still be hanging around.

==========
Production Blog
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/43/

Director Kongou was one of the few who were aware of the connection between the Alchemy Alliance and Geryon. So she created a barrier to hide from the Alchemy Alliance, set up the Kongou Laboratory, and continued her research in secret. She also runs the lab as a sort of orphanage, where children live and learn alchemy.

Arumi is a girl who lives in Kongou Laboratory. She communicates using Isaac No. 13, just like Sabi. Unlike Sabi, she doesn't speak at all, so she needs to use a lot of facial expressions to express herself.

The group photo with Geryon was taken in the basement of Toei's headquarters. The building was very old that it has a Showa feel to it, so it was a perfect backdrop for the former Alchemy Alliance organization! And if you look closely, you can see Director Taguchi, Producer Minato, and others production staff portraying the Alchemy Alliance members!

This Malgam doesn't react to malice, but rather to unstable emotions. It means that the director was not a bad person. Her conflicting emotions came from wanting to protect her research and the children from the resurrected Geryon, but she can't let go of her old feelings and even wishes to meet him...

The hilarious exchange when Valbarad and Gatchard got into MadPirates was apparently ad-libbed by Motojima and Fujibayashi during the voice recording.
Original Japanese Text
真美は、錬金連合とグリオンのつながりに気づいていた数少ないうちの一人。
そこで、錬金連合からは隠れて結界を張り、金剛ラボラトリーを構え、ひっそりと研究を続けてきました。
さらに、子供たちが錬金術を学びながら暮らす、養護施設のような役割としてもラボを運営している人物です。

亜琉美は、金剛ラボラトリーで暮らす女の子。
錆丸と同じようにアイザック13号機を使って会話をします。
錆丸と少し違い、自分の声では話さないキャラクターなので、
表情のお芝居も豊富に演じてくださいました!

この集合写真、実は東映本社の地下で撮影いたしました。
弊社本社は、ここだけ昭和なのかな?という感じの
歴史を感じる建物でして、かつての錬金連合の組織場として、うまいことはまったのでした……!
さらに!よーーーーーーく見ていただくとわかるのですが、
我らが田口監督、湊Pなどが内トラでご出演されております!

ちなみに、このマルガムは通常のように人間の完全な悪意に反応するというよりは
完全な悪意になりきらない、不安定な心の動きに反応してしまうというイメージ。
つまり真美が悪人だったというわけではなく、
グリオンの恐ろしさを知っているからこそ、復活した彼から研究と子供たちを守らないとと思いつつも、
かつての思いを断ち切れず、何なら彼に会いたいと願ってしまう……

ちなみに、決め技でヴァルバラドとガッチャードが
マッドパイレーツに乗り込む部分の愉快なやりとりは、
本島さんと藤林さんのアフレコでのアドリブだそう!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Pronouns: Toast
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Lol, Minato. Not wanting to explain to Spanner why Rinne was on the floor, he just straight up ignored Spanner's question, and then sent him away on a babysit mission.

I honestly wonder if there's some revenge from the creative staff for this plot line. "Can't act? Well, get stuck in a humiliating pose for this arc"

>There were two personalities in that Malgam. One was the director, who was the other? A hidden side of the director or the chemy itself?

I honestly dont' know what's going on with the director. Maybe she's crazy because of her interaction with Geryon?

>She also runs the lab as a sort of orphanage, where children live and learn alchemy.

orphanage? What are alchemists doing that are leaving so many orphans? Besides obvious mad experiments?

>And if you look closely, you can see Director Taguchi, Producer Minato, and others production staff portraying the Alchemy Alliance members!

ooh, nice trivia!

>This Malgam doesn't react to malice, but rather to unstable emotions. It means that the director was not a bad person. Her conflicting emotions came from wanting to protect her research and the children from the resurrected Geryon, but she can't let go of her old feelings and even wishes to meet him...

I was wondering how they'd explain it. WIsh it came from the episode itself, but it's still good knowledge
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Very intriguing. I wonder if Sabimaru is one of the "chosen children" and the key to controlling Chemy 102 is Sabi's AISAAC, so Sabi is the only one who can help the Chemy achieve Super Evolved form?

Will the next arc be Chemy 103, a Chemy from Osaka that only chosen child Renge can help achieve Super Evolved form, maybe by Renge tsukomi-ing the Chemy?

Will the arc after that be Chemy 104, a Chemy that only chosen child Kajiki can control? (Would we even have enough episodes left for this?)

Maybe they will regret wasting so many episodes on Legend?

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”