My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Gotchard 43 thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last episode: 4.6 of 5 stars (5 votes)

What? Why does the antidote freeze also freeze you when dropped?

Mami wakes up bug eyed and panicking. This show sure likes the Kamen Rider mommies. Maybe don't mark your invisible base?

She seems pretty calm for someone just saying there's a trespasser

Valvarad just showed Geryon how to get in the secret base

Oh no, two alchemist brothers have committed crimes against nature? Why does that sound familiar. Seems a little unbelievable for Houtarou to be giving advice to his sempai

What is going on with these brothers?

I had suspected last week that the twist would be that Geryon is after Isaac

Good thing the bad guys can create golems now that they've run out of malgams to make

Neville longbottom got a sword

Hey, cool finisher Sabi

Hi dad, I made this chair for you

Klotho looks so left out. Give her more story. Aren't there three sisters?

Geryon, your plot is basically based nonsenseical magic. Please explain so I can understand your desires and motivations

Edit: I gave this episode a 3 because I was extremely bored with the tropes. THe bullying older brother that turns out he does it because he secretly loves his young brother was both super predictable and not very interesting. I wanted more for Sabi's character than this

Next week, Minato finally faces justice for the crimes he's committed on the normal populace. Also, they got Hijiri back? That feels so rare now!
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: KR Gotchard 43 thread

Post by Mxylv »

Definitely tropey, but I still think there's life here that just felt missing from many of the previous scripts. Along with possibly some of the sisters, Sabimaru's had by far the most interesting character development in the series, and beating a Dread zombie without a henshin combined with maintaining extensive dialogue proving he'd moved past needing AISAAC to speak for him was a nice way to capstone that development. I don't know if it's just been his long absence, but Geryon also feels like a more imposing villain here than he'd been in the show's second arc.

I think the episode's biggest weakness was that a core theme didn't work--the older brother with an inferiority complex calming down because it turned out he achieved something. It's like the resolution to being bullied for being bad at a game being winning the game--it solves the exterior problem, sure, but did the winner actually grow as a person? I liked the emphasis on the chemys' capabilities, though--early in the series I'd mentioned that Houtaro's emphasis on chemys as more than just tools would work better if we'd see the effects, advantages, or overall practical differences of such a worldview, and this case of a chemy working to (I think?) heal a relationship is easily the strongest instance of that.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga
Quote: Avatar artist:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/17930035

Post by Yaiba »

The last time I gave a 5 was KR Dread's debut episodes, which was also focused on Sabimaru. Sabi was really best character and got the most character growth. He's good with alchemy and technology, he grew out of his shyness, overcame his trauma over Dread, and saved his brother from depression. I think he's also the first non-Rider character who managed to destroy an enemy.

Geryon felt menacing just by standing around.

Rare moments of Houtarou and Spanner fighting fully in sync.

KR Dread returns just as his SHF figure goes on sale on p-Bandai.

==========
Production blog
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/44/

As some of you may have noticed, Isaac's blunt tone was because it was an AI based on Kagiichi's personality.

The young Sabimaru was played by Kawada Kotaro, who also provided the voice for Kamedoon.

Attempting to create a Chemy for fun, Sabimaru messed with the alchemy tools and ended up actually created it. Kagiichi told the director that he created Kamedoon to protect Sabimaru. Even as a child, Kagiichi probably felt that if Sabi's ability to create Chemys had became known to others, it would cause big stir and Sabi would become a victim of research. From the outside, it looked like Kagiichi took all the credit for himself, but Kagiichi himself felt guilty about it. He treated Sabimaru coldly because he thought Sabi must resent him.

When the director bonded with Kamedoon, her form was ambiguous, sometimes turning into a turtle and sometimes into a cannon. Kagiichi's transformation into a Malgam wasn't out of malice. Geryon saw through his feelings of guilt and inferiority dark emotions, which led to the fusion. This time, it was a complete Kamedoon Malgam.

Just as Houtarou said, the brothers cared for each other but unable to be honest with each other. Kamedoon may have played a part in helping the two of them reconciled as an apology for creating the resentment in the first place.

Spanner managed to rescue Airumi. He seemed happy that she recognized him as a Super A-rank alchemist and was willing to banter with her. Previously, he'd really only converse with Kyouka. Just like Sabimaru, something seemed to be changing within him.

Next episode will be directed by Watanabe Katsuya. His last episode was Gotchard 15 because he had since moved to the BoonBoomger crew, but Producer Minato wanted him back for this. Here's the conversation with BoonBoomger's producer (abit exaggerated):
---
Producer Minato: Kuji-san, don't you want to see another Gotchard episode directed by Director Watanabe?
Producer Kuji: Eh? No, not really...
Producer Minato: You do, right? Right??
Producer Kuji: Oh... okay. I see...
---

Original Japanese Text
お気づきの方もいるかもしれませんが、アイザックのぶっきらぼうな口調は、鍵一の性格や口調を元にしたAIだからです。

錆丸の幼少期を演じてくださったのは、川田琥太郎さん!
そして、カメドーンのめちゃくちゃ可愛い声、「カメッドーン!」を演じていただいたのも川田さん!

そんなケミーを遊び半分でつくろうとして、
錆丸が乱暴に錬成道具を組み合わせたことにより、本当に生み出してしまったのでした。
傍から見れば、手柄を独り占めしたかのような鍵一。
鍵一自身も、それに罪悪感を感じ、錆丸も自分を恨んでいるだろうと思っていつも冷たい態度をとっていたのでした。
しかし、鍵一がカメドーンを作ったと真美に伝えたのは、実は錆丸を守るため。
ケミーを作ったことが伝われば、大変なことになり研究の犠牲になることになると、子供ながらに感じていたのでしょう。

真美がカメドーンと結びついてしまったときは、カメになったり、大砲になったりとその姿は曖昧な状態でした。
しかし、今回は完全なるカメドーンマルガム。
このマルガム化も、鍵一に完全な悪意があったわけではありませんが、
罪悪感、劣等感、似たような黒い感情をグリオンに見破られたために、
融合させられてしまったもの。

宝太郎が言っていたとおり、
お互いを思いながらも素直になれない兄弟を見て、
そしてわだかまりを作ったお詫びとしても、
カメドーンが2人の仲を再びつなげるために、
ひと役、ふた役、買ってくれたのかもしれません。

逃げ遅れた亜琉美ちゃんを、無事に救い出しました!
亜琉美ちゃんにも超A級と認められてうれしそう。
鏡花以外の人間には一切興味がなさそうだったスパナでしたが、
亜琉美と交流するようになったりと、
錆丸同様にこれまでとはなにか違う、変化が起きているようです。

内容的にもそうですが、キャスト一同も44話では映画の撮影を経て更に一回り大きく成長した状態で撮影に望んでいます。
そのキャストたちの成長を一番肌で感じていただいたのが、渡辺勝也監督!
15話以来ということで、本当に約半年ぶりの渡辺組となります。

ブンブンジャー参加中の渡辺監督をお声がけするにあたって、
ーーーーー
湊「……久慈さん、渡辺監督が撮るガッチャードをまた見たいと思いませんか?」
久慈P「え、いや、別に……」
湊「思いますよね?ね?」
久慈P「(瞬時にすべてを察し)あー…………わかりました」
ーーーーー
と、バクアガッチャ(調整了解)していただきました。
(上記の内容にはいくばくかの誇張が含まれます)
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So, chosen child alchemist Sabimaru was able to get his digimon chemy to super-evolve become whole by healing the relationship with his brother.

So, in next episode we learn that Kajiki is the missing chosen child alchemist who created the 103rd digimon chemy? Will Renge follow this?

Will Geryon make any attempt to reunite Team Rocket the Hades Sisters or is his cold attitude towards Klotho indicative of his not caring for anything other than gold? Maybe if Klotho wore gold instead of black all the time she would have better luck?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

By and large I enjoyed this two-parter, primarily because it focused on Sabi. But by the same token, I can't help but think that this should have come earlier. Fully fleshing out Sabi should have been in the 30s, not 6 weeks before the series itself is done. That Legend arc continues to hobble the series in some respects by delaying important character development until the final quarter of the series.

I have to say I really didn't see Geryon being after the AI (Isaac). At the same time, I still don't understand why. Being able to make a legion of KR Dreads (Dreadtroopers?) is ominous enough. But this is also a guy who has previously created armies of homunculi that can operate the Dread suit, never mind the clearly superior golems that he now has access to by absorbing Germain. So other than bringing back the Dread suit for toy purposes, I'm not sure where this is going?

Geryon does continue to steal the scenes he's in, though. That dispassionate "do you have a death wish" line to Sabi was hilarious in context; he's not even mad, he's just wondering why this kid is even continuing to fire a pea shooter at him.:lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:39 pm What? Why does the antidote freeze also freeze you when dropped?
Because it was Minato's turn to hold the idiot ball, to keep him out of this episode.
Hi dad, I made this chair for you

Klotho looks so left out. Give her more story. Aren't there three sisters?
Geryon clearly has a favorite, to say the least. Though at some point I hope they show why this is, and why he doesn't care for Klotho and Lakhesis in the same way. (Though you could be excused for forgetting Lakhesis; she really hasn't had a lot to do since joining team Kamen Rider)
Next week, Minato finally faces justice for the crimes he's committed on the normal populace. Also, they got Hijiri back? That feels so rare now!
I'm personally rather pleased they're doing a story about breaking Kajiki's brain by wiping it so much.:lol: Yeah, it's an obvious story to do, but it has a lot of potential. (Also, I see the head writer, Hasegawa Keiichi, is finally back)
Mxylv wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:19 am I think the episode's biggest weakness was that a core theme didn't work--the older brother with an inferiority complex calming down because it turned out he achieved something. It's like the resolution to being bullied for being bad at a game being winning the game--it solves the exterior problem, sure, but did the winner actually grow as a person?
I can agree with that. The setup was kind of rote, and the resolution didn't help with that. It gives Sabi an important backstory, but the brother is unremarkable as a supporting character.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:58 am Rare moments of Houtarou and Spanner fighting fully in sync.
The fight choreography was a step above the baseline for KR here. I don't know if it's because of the outdoor location or because the weather is turning nicer, but the level of effort and complexity in those fights was a nice improvement over the earlier Rainbow Gotchard fights. Though part of that may simply be because there was less CGI and more hand-to-hand fighting going on.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Pronouns: Toast
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

> have to say I really didn't see Geryon being after the AI (Isaac). At the same time, I still don't understand why. Being able to make a legion of KR Dreads (Dreadtroopers?) is ominous enough. But this is also a guy who has previously created armies of homunculi that can operate the Dread suit, never mind the clearly superior golems that he now has access to by absorbing Germain. So other than bringing back the Dread suit for toy purposes, I'm not sure where this is going?

he's the ultimate narcissist. He lost before because clearly a clone of his mind wasn't running things

>Geryon does continue to steal the scenes he's in, though. That dispassionate "do you have a death wish" line to Sabi was hilarious in context; he's not even mad, he's just wondering why this kid is even continuing to fire a pea shooter at him.:lol:

I definitely wanted to go more hammier with one of his other lines lol

> (Also, I see the head writer, Hasegawa Keiichi, is finally back)

oh, they let him out of that jail where they stuff matsumoto whe nhe's not being used?

Return to “Kamen Rider Gotchard”