Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Game Center CX 01

Post by VerusMaya II »

Phoenix512 wrote:I don't know it's possible to play Mystery of Atlantis straight through as the warps would screw you up. Did Arino ever find Hang On?
They're making us hang on to find out.

Eh? Eh?
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
TheFreak

Post by TheFreak »

Yeah, a lot of Japanese games from the mid-to-late 80s and early-90s were designed intentionally difficult. Since mostly children bought games back then, the games they purchased with their allowance had to last, and the best way to do that was...well...not make the game easy to beat.

As for the comparison between the Retro Game Master and GCCX versions of Atlantis No Nazo...If I recall, the translation used in RGN is pretty close to your version. The only differences in the challenge itself were AD Toujima becoming "Assistant T", the Edge-Jump being translated literally (I can't exactly recall what they labeled it) and the narration being dubbed in English. The TamaGe, Okamoto interview (Not present in your sub), and Game Collection segments were removed entirely, but the cuts with the King remain. This is particularly bizarre with the Ghosts 'N Goblins (Game Center CX 03) challenge, as the King allures to a Yu Suzuki interview that is never shown. The RGM episode cuts before Toujima mentions his leave, but the King/Throne Room graphic mentions his departure.

According to what I was told, StyleJam (The company that releases the GCCX DVDs in Japan) is currently in talks with several companies on getting the show to the US. Nothing is certain at this point, however.
arcticfeather
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by arcticfeather »

How is the voice-over is Retro Game Master?

I saw the trailer at the bottom of this page: http://stylejam.co.jp/DVD/rgm/index.html and was hoping they haven't used the same person as the voice over for the main show.
TheFreak

Post by TheFreak »

Yeah, that was part of a longer trailer segment shown before the screenings. The latter half of the trailer had Arino offering a message in charmingly broken English.

I believe the Narrator is the same, but opinion about his performance at the screenings seemed to be split. Some (Like myself) thought the more 'lively' attitude had its own particular charm. Others preferred the more serious tone of the Japanese narration. Both instill a type of drama over Arino's playing, and the localization isn't much changed from the original anyway, so I wasn't bothered by it.
riderkicker
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: BLACK
Dreamy: Hikawa
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa
Favorite Band: FoC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: King! Ha!

Post by riderkicker »

Thank you Takenoko! That was a great episode!

Spoiler
I'm going to miss Tojima. He oddly reminded me of a lanky friend of mind.

Saw the trailers for Retro Game Master. Man that's hilarious. Didn't he realize that there were subtitles?
And at that Albie cried a single tear which turned into a jelly bean all the colors of the rainbow! And
suddenly...Albie wasn't racist anymore!!!
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I'm pretty sure the subtitles were put in because some people may not be able to understand his English. Which is indeed incredibly charming. He's just so very enthusiastic! I love this man! :lol:
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
TheFreak

Post by TheFreak »

While Atlantis No Nazo was Toujima's last appearance as an AD, he's been making regular appearances on the show ever since. Snip
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

It make me happy that I lived during SNES's era. Not too hard or too easy, just...right. ^^;

That new AD is cute. <.<;

Will we see more of him or will Toujima (sp?) going to overshadow him?

At least that game is not same as another game he played where you actually have to leave the game on for one hour to progess any. O.o

He spoke in broken English? lol Cool.

I always wondered what happened if he jump on clouds to the left side instead of jumping on trees on right side from stage 10? Oh well, I guess I will never know. :P

I can't believe I am hooked to this show since I totally hate reality TV.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai

Return to “GameCenter CX”