Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Senki 14 released

Post by takenoko »

That's interesting, the credits don't list the character role anymore. Just the actor's name. Hmmm...

Hurray, we've got a Zanki-like character in this episode. I like the ending where they both nod to each other but don't explain it to their respective Madou items. Future episode foreshadowing!

It looks like he's gained a little weight, but you can always recognize Zanki for his unusually curly hair. It's nice to see that he's more Zanki than Jirou here. Also someone on a Japanese forum pointed out that both Zanki and Baron are thunder element characters.

Shijima Wataru 四十万ワタル uses the kanji for 4, 10, and 10,000 in his family name. So his family late literally means 400,000.

Pretty good episode. We got to see Tsubasa. It would have been better if they had Rin, but who knows what she's doing now.

Edit: Oh yeah, I wonder what that deal was with that Gajari thing. It's the only thing in the episode that felt like it was completely separate from the rest of it.

I wonder what Wataru's Madou item's name is. Is it a mirror? A ring, a necklace, a bracelet, and now a mirror? I also wonder if that kid who speaks in the flashback is the voice actor for it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Makai Senki 14 released

Post by Lunagel »

Well according to the wiki page the name of Wataru's Madou item is called Uruba and it's voiced by Itou Makoto, a toku stunt veteran from Ohranger days, and the suit actor for Garo himself. I'm not actually sure if I believe wiki in this instance...

I liked that they actually didn't elaborate on Kouga/Wataru's relationship in the past. It makes it much more interesting imagining how the two met and how they influenced one another than to have it clearly spelled out.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I was more amped for Tsubasa in this episode than anything else, although I do like Kenji Matsuda alot, so it is cool he is here as well.
Areku The O.F.
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: KR Black
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz
Dreamy: Too many to count...
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuo Kurata
Favorite Band: Dream Theater
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
Old time is still a' flying
And that same flower that smiles you today
Tomorrow will be dying..."

Post by Areku The O.F. »

Do you guys think he was given the name "Wataru" as a reference on him being in Kiva? Also I think his thunder knight title is a reference on him having thunder powers as Zanki on Hibiki, interesting...
3... 2... 1... Time Out... Deformation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Well according to the wiki page the name of Wataru's Madou item is called Uruba and it's voiced by Itou Makoto, a toku stunt veteran from Ohranger days, and the suit actor for Garo himself. I'm not actually sure if I believe wiki in this instance...

Isn't Itou Makoto the stunt actor for Zeronos? If so, then his appearance on the show makes that claim seem dubious. It is a pretty common name...

>I liked that they actually didn't elaborate on Kouga/Wataru's relationship in the past.

Or it's setup for the next episode

>Do you guys think he was given the name "Wataru" as a reference on him being in Kiva?

I really don't, it's a pretty common name. I mean, maybe it is, but generally they seem to be more subtle when doing references like that. I imagine if you told them "Hey, you named this guy Wataru to reference his role in Kiva" they'd probably want to change it so the character can stand more on his own. But this is all my assumption, there's no way of knowing this without asking the writer/director, of course.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Zanki-san! Playing... Zanki Makai Knight version!

I wonder what Gajari is.

Nice to see Tsubasa again. A pity he couldn't shine. He should've got his own episode before this one. It's kinda unfair how Zero had 3 episodes and he didn't have even one...

Nice fighting. Especially because it had litte SPFX.

Nice Kaoru fanservice time at the end.

And man, Leo seemed very pissed when Tsubasa said those things about him being a priest.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Seems like the show is starting its ascension (actually starting last episode--and each one being more interesting) in order to get story plots to start coming together. I would like to have seen this "new" knight's special ability, but maybe it'll show in a later episode. Also, where's Rin? Or the elder Priestess? Weren't they in Kantai this episode?

Needs more Jabi.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
ZGMF-X20A STRIKE FREEDOM
Faiz
Favorite series: Garo/Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Kabuto/Blade
Dreamy: Takanashi Rin
Favorite Band: Too many to list
My boom: Gundam
Quote: We're not tools of the government or anyone elses. Fighting was the only thing i was good at, but at least i fought for what i believed in.-Gray Fox

Post by ZGMF-X20A STRIKE FREEDOM »

Even though Baron is a recolor of Bado/ re-use of Zero in a way, they at least gave him a way cooler looking sword than Bado's :D. Plus he's Blue!
We Begin The Armed Intervention with Gundam
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

TBH first time I saw him I thought he looked a bit like Garuru, which is kinda funny if you think about it.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Yeah, for a moment i was like "is that garuru?" O.o
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

Just a little nickpicky, but shouldn't the line in 7:43 be translated as "Lightning Knight Baron, what happened to you!?"

That said, from a lightning oni to a monk oni to a werewolf... and now a makai knight with a wolf motif (Well, sort of looks like one...). Zanki-san is sure a busy guy...

Call me a puritan, but isn't the ending sort of bordering on voyeurism? (Then again, this is a mature toku)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I thought it was 雷鳴騎士バロン名のだった
Raimei Kishi Baron na no datta

Voyeurism?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I'm trying to figure out what exactly was supposed to seem like Voyeurism. Care to explain that thought process?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Yuusha
7X
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider AGITO
Dreamy: Anna Nagata
Favorite Actor?: Shigeki Hosokawa
Favorite Band: SHAKA LABBITS!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Io Shirai
Quote: "Even if one evades the fangs of the Dragon by soaring high, they are drawn in by its furious winds, then are shredded by the claws"

Post by Yuusha »

I'm always glad to see Kenji Matsuda in anything because he is just so frickin cool. I really dug his character and hope we see more of Wataru/BARON later in the series. Im' still convinced one of the major Makai Knights is going to die, especially given how much they are focusing on Rei/ZERO.

Either way, this slowly advances the story and since I'm loving the story I got no ral complaints, especially with next episode being a flashback to "Makai Knight Academy"

James
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I meant to reply to this thread earlier, but I got distracted by Luna's awesome avatar.

Mini-Kiva reunion. Knowing that Yamamoto Shouma would be reprising his role as Dan, I thought I was letting Kamen Rider go to my head when Kenji Matsuda first popped up on the screen. I figured I would know for sure if I could hear his voice, but I swear he didn't have any lines for a good 7-8 minutes into the episode. It was great to see another Rider alum (and a particularly talented one) join the cast.

What was even better was that both Dan and Kouga were present throughout the episode. This is the first time we've had Kouga share that much screen time with a regular/semi-regular from the pre-Makai Senki universe, isn't it? As much as I enjoyed the Jabi and Rei focus episodes, it was good to see a familiar face (other than Kaoru and Gonza) interacting with Kouga for more than exchanging greetings.

So, is it pretty much confirmed by this point that Leo is the Masked Priest? I originally doubted it was him because of the foreshadowing, but it's gotten so heavy in the last two episodes that I can't think of any other explanation for his actions.

Return to “Makai Senki”