Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Senki 19 released

Post by takenoko »

Oh okay, twins. Fine.

So I guess Leo's dad, Gouki (Ban Daisuke) was the actor who played Kikaider? And I guess Mio (Yoshino Sayaka) must be a mute or something.

Sigma kind of suffers from an Anakin Skywalker style of creating a bad guy. He's just such an obvious rotten apple to begin with... yet we really don't see that for us to understand why Gouki chose Leo to be the successor to Roudo. Also, besides the one scene where he shows Leo magic, we only know that he was "kind" because Leo said so instead of seeing it for ourselves.

So Sigma concocted this plan because he was mad that he didn't get the Roudo title?

I guess we know who stole Ganon's body now. Hmm, I wonder whatever happened to that lady who was with Ryuuzaki in the Kiba special.

Edit: Is that Eguchi Hiromiin yet another different Garo role? I mean, I guess maybe Sigma used her to create Gigi, so maybe that's why she's there again? Nevermind, I'm an idiot. He says that's what he uses her for.

And about Sigma's plan. I wonder if Mio would have disagreed so vehemently with him if he had used deathrow inmates for his experiments instead of some woman. I mean, everyone's moral compass can be adjustable to a certain extent.

Edit edit: This blog I'm reading points out something interesting. We have Zaruba as a male voice, Silva as a woman's. Goruba is an old man's, Uruba as a young child, and now we have Eruba as an old woman.

Wait, why is this episode called Paradise? Leo's life seems far from ideal. I mean, he doesn't even have a girlfriend, unlike his psychotic older brother.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Garo Makai Senki 19 released

Post by Alessar »

Leo was living in a fantasy world (see: painted fairytale forest background used for much of the episode), and projecting all his own kindness on his brother. Smart guy, but unable to see what his father saw. So I think he was living in a fool's Paradise.

Mio not talking was super distracting. If it was a US production, I'd say they were short on money and had her say nothing so they could pay her extra's wages instead of actor's scale wages. I was underwhelmed Sigma just shot her ... I had something much more interesting envisioned.

I was surprised Roudo was an extant Makai knight, I thought for sure (with the doll face breastplate) he had just crafted it for himself. (It's kind of irritating, this entire twin brothers competing for succession with makai priesthood for the loser is the core of a fanfic plot I've been devising. Oh well.)

I still want Kaoru to do something awesome this series.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

She'll probably draw GARO a powerup in the final or something.

It was a good story, but kinda clichéd at the same time. Then again, I suppose if Leo was evil, that would also be clichéd, so I can't win.

I like his armours design, except for the creepy doll thing in the chest. The CG introduction last episode had it omitted and I think it looked better that way.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Alessar wrote:Mio not talking was super distracting. If it was a US production, I'd say they were short on money and had her say nothing so they could pay her extra's wages instead of actor's scale wages.
That's my guess as well. Unless there's a reason she's mute that they haven't gotten around to explaining yet.

So Kouga's the only knight that Sigma intends to kill no matter what. Wonder where their paths crossed in the past that has Sigma so ticked off at Kouga.

It feels like this episode kind of screws up this series' timeline. Leo claims that he couldn't stop the seals of destruction because he didn't realize what his brother was up to until after Mio's death, but Sigma is shown getting the red mask and hand after he kills Mio. I guess there's nothing expressly contradictory, but it means that a lot happens in a very short period of time.

When I went back to the first episode to check what we see of Red Mask and Leo, I was intrigued that the Horror of that episode commented about how some humans are unnecessary and rotten to the core - exactly the same thing that Sigma said this episode. It's nice to see themes like that recurring.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So Kouga's the only knight that Sigma intends to kill no matter what. Wonder where their paths crossed in the past that has Sigma so ticked off at Kouga.
It's probably just because he is the Golden Knight, the same guy that got rid of Kiba, Legules and Karma, who will probably screw his plans if he isn't dealt to quickly.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if that makes sense since if he gives up his armor, there's not much for Kouga to do to stop him. Just last episode he told Kouga the whole thing wasn't personal. It really doesn't seem like he gave Kouga a second thought until he turns his own brother against him. It just seems more spiteful than anything else, since Sigma assumes he will succeed either way.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I know they obviously just had to shoot the same scene twice with Leo's actor when he talked to Sigma, but I still found it pretty distracting cause obviously they can't interact with each other. It's kinda hard to see how close two people are if they can't physically touch, with the exception of that handshake scene (which was almost uncomfortably long).

And yeah, I couldn't feel anything for Mio cause she didn't say anything. Actually, it's not that she just didn't say anything, I've seen really excellent mute characters before, it's that she didn't really interact with anyone either. There was just no emotion in her performance, and it totally detracted from her (very predictable) death.

Still, nice to see more of Leo's backstory, and as an interesting aside, the kid who played mini Sigma (or possibly Leo, hard to tell) was the same actor who played Murasaki. Coincidence or...?
Kagali
Infinity

Post by Kagali »

Mio's thing isn't that she's a mute, it's that Leo was so distracted by his brother and his brother's issues that they just tuned her out. We saw literally what he and his brother saw, in their world they were just ignoring Mio, and because of that, the flashback is portrayed as her not speaking.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Heh, is Leo an unreliable narrator?
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

I didn't realize she's mute until near end of ep. after realizing she didn't utter even one line. Is she truly mute or she just didn't say anything? It is kinda strange situation even for me. But I was too focused on Leo's story to let it bother me.

It's a bit strange to see there's two Leo now, and at same scenes. Not that I am complaining since I am getting more out of it.

I can get two different feeling between two twin characters...sort of? Which is kinda relief since it means I can enjoy his acting I guess.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

takenoko wrote:I guess maybe Sigma used her to create Gigi, so maybe that's why she's there again?[/s] Nevermind, I'm an idiot. He says that's what he uses her for.
I missed that part. Where was that revealed for sure? And isn't she also in Red Requiem?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

The moment Mio walked into the picture, I already saw her end(ings)
She was either:
A)Die
B)Die and become the body for the butterfly helper thing
C)Die and become food for that thing.

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't Roudo's fight look, well, too heavily C.G.I'd? I couldn't tell the difference when it was just a straight scene with the armor or when they used the C.G.I to create the armor. That killed it for me. Also:Wasn't Roudo mentioned in another part of the series? I don't know why, but he just seems so familiar. At first I thought he was in the Kiba Gaiden movie, but then I re-watched it and found out who that knight was.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I never thought about Mio being a mute character. She probably was judging from the flashback scenes. The way how she died was pretty sad too. I didn't expect that at all. At least now we know Leo and Sigma's history. I really think that the actor for both Leo/Sigma's acting needs to improve. Especially when he's Sigma, the acting seems more like overacting at times. Enough with my nitpicking on that. I did like the background style used throughout the flashback scenes though. It was very painterly which goes with Kaoru's storybook theme.
Jyazen
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by Jyazen »

Lunagel wrote:Still, nice to see more of Leo's backstory, and as an interesting aside, the kid who played mini Sigma (or possibly Leo, hard to tell) was the same actor who played Murasaki. Coincidence or...?
Well, we didn't see Murasaki "die", he just turned into petals... base on that episode alone I thought it was just a special effect of sort instead of showing a kid dieing on screen, but then this episode, we see kid Sigma showing off doing exactly the same stuff (turn into petals), this make me think Murasaki was either Sigma or Leo and he did not die. Just theories and conjectures, of course!

I wonder if that event plays a role as a reason for Sigma hating Kouga that much, etc. If Murasaki was either of them and he did not die, of course. >.>
FangTrigger wrote:Maybe it's just me, but doesn't Roudo's fight look, well, too heavily C.G.I'd? I couldn't tell the difference when it was just a straight scene with the armor or when they used the C.G.I to create the armor. That killed it for me.
I think it was full CGI, all of it. There wasn't a scene at all with Roudo in "real" armor. I guess they did not make one just to save on the cost? XD
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Isn't Roudo the knight that tried to save Kiba in his gaiden?

We still don't know if purple is Leo or Sigma.

Again, they used drawn backgrounds to show the flashback. It was an ok backstory. Pretty much what I expected, except for the knight sucession thing.

I don't really think Edea would be able to stop the horrors. There's just to much yin in the world for it to be effective. Either it would be able to handle all Horrors or it would absorb their yin (like the knights do) and become a bigger threat.

Return to “Makai Senki”