Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Blade | Hibiki | Kabuto >
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

just watched Hibiki

Post by OOOKaiser »

I saw the first four episodes and even though I was against for like two years... I actually like it.
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Re: just watched Hibiki

Post by kikaida »

It's a pretty good series. I love the musical aspect of it . . . but later beware of Zanki cheeks :lol:
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.
Cyon_Orthus
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Queen and Princess
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: "I don't need to be wished good luck, I create my own luck"

Post by Cyon_Orthus »

It is a good series. I don't know why people hate it so much but what many forget is it wasn't meant to be a Kamen Rider series to begin with. The only let down to the series was the change of Director.
Image Currently Ill, be back later in the week.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

There were mixed feelings among fans on Hibiki. Many people hated it because it was completely different from what they believed a Kamen Rider series should've been, and there are many people who liked it because it's unique in its own way. To be honest, I kinda liked Hibiki a bit more once the director changed halfway through.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

ReversedSentai wrote:To be honest, I kinda liked Hibiki a bit more once the director changed halfway through.
:O

I actually loved the series before they tried to mainstream it. Characterization is key since a great deal of time is spent on them and their relationships.
ImageImage
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

[kuronogantzryu] wrote:
ReversedSentai wrote:To be honest, I kinda liked Hibiki a bit more once the director changed halfway through.
:O

I actually loved the series before they tried to mainstream it. Characterization is key since a great deal of time is spent on them and their relationships.
I kinda enjoyed the rivalry between Asumu and Kiriya. I dunno but I really didn't see too much character development in the first half.
ookamiryuujin670
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: GokaiYellow
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Exile
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: The Great Outdoors
Quote: "Dreams tend to be the kind of thing that vanish if you think you can't reach them" - Captain Marvelous
Type: INFP Healer

Post by ookamiryuujin670 »

I'm just starting the series now. In the middle of watching the first episode.... does anyone know why the filming is so different for this series? Like I mean, the way they shot it seems so different from what I'm used to seeing. I read in someone's post above that it wasn't even supposed to be a Kamen Rider series to begin with? What does that mean? Can someone explain that to me? Sorry for all the questions....
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

ookamiryuujin670 wrote:I'm just starting the series now. In the middle of watching the first episode.... does anyone know why the filming is so different for this series? Like I mean, the way they shot it seems so different from what I'm used to seeing. I read in someone's post above that it wasn't even supposed to be a Kamen Rider series to begin with? What does that mean? Can someone explain that to me? Sorry for all the questions....
Before Shotaro Ishinomori died, he had a project in mind known as Ongeki Hibiki (I think that's what it was called). However, because of his death, the show never materialized. In 2004, during the time Blade was airing, the producers decided to pick up Ishinomori's project of Ongeki Hibiki again (there were also rumors that their original show for the successor after Blade was cancelled or scrapped). In the end, they slapped the title "Kamen Rider" on it because the costumes resembled (slightly) of a Kamen Rider.

With that in mind, the concept for Hibiki is a completly new different perspective for the Kamen Rider franchise. With all of its previous seasons, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, and Blade, being really dark-themed, Hibiki takes the Kamen Rider name and makes it more light-hearted in a way. The story starts off really slowly, and we don't see many amazing plots develop. Many people had this problem, including me actually, because they feel that Hibiki is starting too slow and the characters are lacking development. After seeing so much amazing action from Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, and Blade, which all immediately created big backgrounds for characters, we see almost the complete opposite in Hibiki. There were hintings that the reason that the writer for Hibiki changed midway was because the toys weren't selling because the story itself was lacking.

Like you mentioned, Hibiki is different in many ways.
- The first opening theme song isn't even a song; just an instrumental tune.
- There are constant flashing of kanji on the screens.
- The Riders don't use belts to transform. Some people might say "Look at DiEnd, Gills, and 3G! They don't use belts either!" Yes, that's true, but NO riders in Hibiki used belts. Other shows might not have every rider using a belt, but at least the main rider did.
- They don't use "Henshin" to transform.
- There's an ending theme song. No other Heisei Kamen Rider series, besides Kuuga, has an ending theme song.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Hibiki is the series I'm currently watching. I'm on episode 39 at the moment, and without giving specific spoilers, here's how my opinion of the show has evolved so far.

First few episodes: "What even is this?"
Ibuki is introduced: "This is actually pretty good."
Hibiki's Summer Form: "This is great, I love it."
Kiriya is introduced: "JUST what this show needed: a giant, green asshole! [/sarcasm]"
All that relationship drama: "Ah, Toshiki Inoue's specialty: irritating melodrama!"
The aftermath of Shuki's two-parter: "Okay, so the characters who were here before Vol. 29 are still capable of being likable."

Also I greatly preferred the movie's version of Armed Saber to the show's. Akira Fuse's character having been absolutely obnoxious may have something to do with that.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

ReversedSentai wrote:I kinda enjoyed the rivalry between Asumu and Kiriya. I dunno but I really didn't see too much character development in the first half.
The rivalry was a great idea but like most things Inoue did, the execution was terribly lacking. It didn't help that the writer made Kiriya an unlikable SOB -_- . The first half focused on Asumu's growth as a person and how he was influenced by Hibiki. It made sure the entire cast have personality and develop their character. Ibuki and Todoroki got entire episodes to build up their characters. They also did a lot of world building in the first half(a lot of which was dropped in the second half).

The swap happened because the toys weren't selling(to date, Hibiki's toy sales in the lowest of the Heisei Rider shows, Blade being the second lowest). A lot of things changed from the first half to the second half. Aside from change in director and writer, filming locations were changed. The first half was filmed a lot in forests and rural areas, and Toei didn't like that since it apparently costs more, so the second half was filmed more in cities. There's also one thing that pissed me off in the second half; Hinako was changed from a very colorful character into being just the 'monster alarm'. You can swap her scenes to a fire alarm going off and it would not make a difference.

Now, I apologize for my ranting.
TheLastTatlFan wrote: All that relationship drama: "Ah, Toshiki Inoue's specialty: irritating melodrama!"
Oh, do I feel sorry for you! The worst of the melodrama is yet to come -_- .
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

TheLastTatlFan wrote:All that relationship drama
There sorta was relationship drama in the first half, with the Mochida-Akira-Asumu love triangle, though it was more subtle.
ReversedSentai wrote:Yes, that's true, but NO riders in Hibiki used belts.
Eh, in a sense they used their belts. I mean, Hibiki used it to store his Taiko drum before he pulled it out for the finisher.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

The relationship drama between Hitomi, Akira and Asumu was used properly, though. It was a single incident that happened through a completely natural, downplayed scenario, and wasn't even really played up as "Hitomi thinks Asumu likes Akira more than her." It could have been interpreted as Hitomi just feeling insecure about her childhood friend having a friend other than her. Blending JDrama and toku like that is why I liked the first twenty-nine volumes so much.

With the post-re-tool drama, though, it was three separate incidents happening at once, all occurring through circumstances that would better suit an episode of Three's Company than a Kamen Rider series (As much as I love Three's Company, it would never have worked as a superhero show), and it was focused on to such a degree that Todoroki and Zanki couldn't pull off their finishers because of it.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I'm on like episode 31 and I can see Kiriya is the douche of the series. I hope he gets his ass kicked by someone.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

He had a moment of vulnerability in 39, and I almost didn't recognize him because he wasn't being a competitive, condescending [your favorite combination of two swear words functioning as an adjective here] that I wanted to punch in the face.

It's a good thing he played Yuuto in Den-O or I'd be too busy yelling at the screen whenever he's on it to follow the show.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

OOOKaiser wrote:I'm on like episode 31 and I can see Kiriya is the douche of the series. I hope he gets his ass kicked by someone.
The new writer wanted to create a rivalry for Asumu, but I have to admit, it was pretty poorly done. We still didn't see that much development to be honest.

Return to “Kamen Rider Hibiki”