Go-Busters versus AkibaRangers

Who ya gonna call?
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< AkibaRanger | Go-Busters | Kyouryuuger >

Which Sentai is the better one this season?

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
35%
Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger
65%

Total votes: 79
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Go-Busters versus AkibaRangers

Post by takenoko »

Official versus unofficial. Where do you side and why?
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Re: Go-Busters versus AkibaRangers

Post by Magenta »

You know, any other year, the novelty of Akiba would clinch it for me. But this year, it's Go-Busters that's novel.

A sentai that treats it's viewers as intelligent individuals, capable of juggling multiple plot threads, not spelling out it's logic so ham-handedly that you have nothing to figure out and understand yourself, that has a villain that displays constant intelligence without this being something the show draws attention to as if it's a plot point. It's just utterly, utterly fantastic.

The strength and realism in the characterization - balanced by the unrealistic setting and the occasional - but not overused! - bit of slapstick comedy to stop the thing getting caught up in taking itself so seriously, is just so utterly, utterly refreshing for me.

So yeah, Go-Bus all the way. Sorry, I guess, Akiba. You just came at a bad time.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

What an insightful well-reasoned argument. May I counter?

But it's got stoopd Powr Rangers. Stoopid American stuff in my Japanese show.

AkibaRangers is Japanese. It's-it's like one of my anime. It has the mo-e and the otaku. Akiba all the way!
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

Post by Magenta »

do you think love can bloom even on a battlefield
ima sugu shutsudoukable
LanEvoXRacer
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito
Dreamy: Takanashi Rin
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Back-On
My boom: Cardfight!! Vanguard
Quote: "Henshin!"

Post by LanEvoXRacer »

Akibaranger, because the cast is much more awesome than Go-Busters'. For a Super Sentai series, I believe the actor for Red's role has to be strong, heroic, courageous, intelligent, good-looking, and all those other good attributes, which Hiromu has. Alright, that is fine. BUT the female role plays a major part too, because there are guys like me, who typically watch Super Sentai for a "hot" Japanese actor. Actors like Kinoshita Ayumi, Nao Nagasawa, Takanashi Rin, and more, are HOT! I don't want to see a child-like, small-squished head, female role for a whole year! It gets annoying, which she is already. On the other hand, Akibaranger, just only three members, and they are so full of life! Humor are adult-based, so it gets really really interesting; whereas, Go-Busters' humor is kind of dull and boring (yeah, I know, it is a kid's show). But yeah, this is my opinion.
Mitsumi
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by Mitsumi »

Akibaranger
since i´m addicted to tv-troupes and
they´re using them in battle after pointing them out first
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

Post by Magenta »

LanEvoXRacer wrote:Akibaranger, because the cast is much more awesome than Go-Busters'. For a Super Sentai series, I believe the actor for Red's role has to be strong, heroic, courageous, intelligent, good-looking, and all those other good attributes, which Hiromu has. Alright, that is fine. BUT the female role plays a major part too, because there are guys like me, who typically watch Super Sentai for a "hot" Japanese actor. Actors like Kinoshita Ayumi, Nao Nagasawa, Takanashi Rin, and more, are HOT! I don't want to see a child-like, small-squished head, female role for a whole year! It gets annoying, which she is already. On the other hand, Akibaranger, just only three members, and they are so full of life! Humor are adult-based, so it gets really really interesting; whereas, Go-Busters' humor is kind of dull and boring (yeah, I know, it is a kid's show). But yeah, this is my opinion.
"WHY ISN'T THIS SHOW FOR JAPANESE 8-YEAR-OLDS FULL OF SEX APPEAL FOR WESTERN NERDS WHO AREN'T IN ANY WAY FINANCIALLY SUPPORTING THE SHOW"

jesus fucking christ
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Animetigerlily
7X
Favorite series: Hibiki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Trip-hop

Post by Animetigerlily »

LanEvoXRacer wrote:Akibaranger, because the cast is much more awesome than Go-Busters'. For a Super Sentai series, I believe the actor for Red's role has to be strong, heroic, courageous, intelligent, good-looking, and all those other good attributes, which Hiromu has. Alright, that is fine. BUT the female role plays a major part too, because there are guys like me, who typically watch Super Sentai for a "hot" Japanese actor. Actors like Kinoshita Ayumi, Nao Nagasawa, Takanashi Rin, and more, are HOT! I don't want to see a child-like, small-squished head, female role for a whole year! It gets annoying, which she is already. On the other hand, Akibaranger, just only three members, and they are so full of life! Humor are adult-based, so it gets really really interesting; whereas, Go-Busters' humor is kind of dull and boring (yeah, I know, it is a kid's show). But yeah, this is my opinion.
There is so much in that comment that rubbed me the wrong way, but it's not very nice to judge, so i'd better keep quiet...

But still, Akibaranger has proven to be funnier, which is one of the things I value most in tokusatsu :)
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

Gokaiger is so-so-so-so-so-so awesome, but I think Go-Buster is not as awesome as Gokaiger. So meh to Go-Buster. I still watching Go-Buster though, as a show in my mealtime.
On the other side, Akiba give us a very different things, like a japanese-like show, very good comedy, pretty much like gokaiger part 2.
Oh! And the chick, too. Pretty much one of my reason I watch Sentai & Rider because some pretty girls in there. Gokaiger's chicks are hot (Mao Ichimichi and Yui Koike), And I like the girls in Akiba (especially Mitsuki and Hakase). The girls in Go-Buster... aside from that Risa Yoshiki and that glasses operator, the yellow is like 10 years old girl -_-`. so still meh to Go-Buster
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

AkibaRanger is much more amusing in my opinion, but Go-Busters is pretty good too.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

AkibaRanger got a vote from me. Felt sorry for Go-Busters, especially Enter which had becoming more awesome these days.

But comparing Yoko's character against Mitsuki and Yumeria's character is already obvious enough.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Off topic: How is it that the word fuck get's replaced by 'gently caress' but fucking isn't? Just though I'd point that out.

On topic: I'm gonna break my argument into two side, which is normally done in something like this.

Go-Busters:A new Sentai that kinda goes back to the old ways of not being just kid friendly, but also allows something for adults as well. The Spy theme works very well and the back story to the rangers makes you feel for them. The developing of the characters, both good and bad, gives this series a nice touch. Megazord looks a bit of a clusterfuck for a base transformation, but it works. This combination of a dark story line yet love able characters is somewhat rare for a Sentai. Also, this is (to some) the missing link beteween Super Sentai and Power Rangers, which shows that Japan is kinda opening the power ranger market to themselves a little more.

AkibaRanger: This no-holes-barred Unofficial Sentai will leave your sides in stitches after the first episode. The first (slightly) Adults-Only sentai, this is the one where Toei (I believe it is Toei anyway) reaches out to it's otaku fan-base and gives something for everyone, adding a Sentai-Otaku, a Cosplay Otaku, and a Closet Otaku, all in one, also, having them react to the things we all wonder about sometimes when we watch Super Sentai, like the explosions that occur behind the team and why the transition from place to place so instantaneously. The 'human' element doesn't feel far away in this show either, and if you don't believe me, watch episode 5. Love that one.

Overall, I have to give it to AkibaRanger. This show brings so many new things into Sentai that no one thought could be.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Go busters for various reasons. First I like the story so far and I don't really mind Power Rangers references since I started with Power Rangers to begin with (and story-wise I still prefer some power rangers shows to their original super sentai's)

Second I hate Akibarangers type of comedy relief. It just killed the show for me (I also hate Gintama which is doing what Akibarangers doing but for shounen and various genre of anime and manga)

Third I like current yellow ranger unlike most people. I would prefer a sexy one too but I feel like a change is refreshing.

Fourth Hiromu is one of best reds I have seen ofcourse with Marvelous it makes two years consecutive win material for me (I didn't like gosei red that much but he was not too bad either)
ninja718
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Unkh
Favorite Actor?: 三浦涼介
Favorite Band: Mayday
My boom: Literature
Quote: Yummy da!

Post by ninja718 »

I prefer Go Busters, although akibaranger is quite fun and nostalgic to otakus.
Go Busters has aunt 小林 as the writer and the settings are brilliant and also the creation and new factors in this series convey a good signal of toei that they want something new.
Akiba, as a unorthodox series, brings the image of otaku's daily life and pursuit, very vivid but still not so dramatic.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

Enter or Malseena... Enter or Malseena... Enter or Malsee.... *head explodes*

Okay, ignoring the two greatest villains of all time...

Go-Buster doesn't really feel like a sentai to me. Sure it has a bunch of giant mecha, but almost every trope is missing. The henshin is laughable at best (what is the obsession with shades?!?) and the suits are a serious departure from the usual tight spandex for the second year running. I love the fact that we no longer have the "make my monster grow!" syndrome and often have the MotW and GMotW fighting at the same time. Buster-Oh is a ridiculous brick, but for once this is actually (inadvertently) explained by the fact that they literally did try to shove three mecha together. The stories are some of the best in terms of quality, but they just don't seem to fit the sentai format very well, so I invariably end up looking at the show as more of a toku or even Kamen Rider (the early Heisei model, at least). Come to think of it, it seems to take me back to Spider-Man as well...

Akibaranger is the penultimate parody. Toei's tried to do parodies of its own sentai before, but never managed to break the mold. This series, however, tops pretty much every sentai parody (official and non) I've ever seen. It's pretty much perfect, and I have to admit, the office worker minion thing is just plain awesome. I also kept expecting a Sh15uya reference in the first ep (not that we won't probably see one down the road). Just about everything in this series is perfection.

Oh, and I'm sorry Enter, but while you are hands down the best villain out there, nothing you've done so far can top Akiba episode 2... An amazing villain who goes to the extreme for fan service... well... I just have to give it to Akibaranger (now can we get Enter and Malseena together for the ultimate show?
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”