Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking it?

Who ya gonna call?
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< AkibaRanger | Go-Busters | Kyouryuuger >
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking it?

Post by takenoko »

It's got pretty good writing and action. It's a serious show for an even year. The history and the world are fairly fleshed out. The main antagonist, competent and often successful at meeting his goals.

Sooo... what is it?

Is it because none of the characters are particularly identifiable? It seems like the main cast have their flaws (weak points?!) but while I don't think I like Hiromu, I do appreciate it when he goes "Oh, maybe I don't know everything and can learn stuff from these guys." He's very competent, but he's still learning to work in a group and to socialize around others. That's a very unusual and sort of makes him very interesting as a red. I do genuinely like Youko who works as a comedy foil for the other two characters.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Go-Busters is a pretty good, so why aren't people liking

Post by Lunagel »

I was just thinking that with episode 11, you don't really connect to the main characters too much. I felt much stronger for Gorisaki than I did for any of the humans. When the robots are more identifiable than anyone else, you've got a problem (it's called Star Wars prequel syndrome).
c.connected
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Gransazer

Post by c.connected »

For a while I left Sentai series to dedicate the time for Riders series, but after the Fourzen's premiere I decided to change the direction again. I'm undecided about GoBusters.
I really love the difficulties imposed to Vaglass and all the strategy that Enter has to use to get the Enetron resources (great analogy about situations in our own world) and I also like the entire cast (even Yoko).

What I really don't get are Cheeda, Gorisaki and Usada. I don't get the reason for their existence and also why their are so dumb. If they were supposedly created by humans (right?) why they are so stupid? Why on earth some programmer would put such a non-functional A. I. in one important component. Of course that they are the comical side for one heavy story, but I don't know, the relationship between them and heros are just lame for me.

But overall, I'll keep watching because it's far superior than others Sentais that I saw in the last years. And it's fun.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

It's probably because people's expectations from Gokaiger is making them crave more for Go-Busters. Up till now, there really wasn't a significant plot turning episode in my opinion in Go-Busters; we see some character involvement, but nothing major really occured. Gokaiger was different because almost every episode meant something big. I guess people who loved Gokaiger felt that Go-Busters isn't enough.
kanjitech1988
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Too many honestly
Favorite Band: coldrain
My boom: Kamen Rider Fourze

Post by kanjitech1988 »

The reason people don't aren't liking Go-Busters? Because Gokaiger was a massive tribute to the Super Sentai series with numerous references to past series and bringing back past actors playing updated roles. Coming from a high like that, Go-Busters was always going to have a hard time following it. Every new episode had references to past series and the tribute episodes made it worth it.

I'll be honest, I'm barely watching the series myself. My plan is to wait a bit longer until I continue again. I love the PR references, the spy motif is interesting, the special effects and mecha fights are great, and honestly I nothing against the rangers. Of course, there isn't much to like either but still, I'm hoping that something interesting will come later. Hopefully, they'll get more development when the new rangers come in. Right now though, I'm just going to hold off watching it until more episodes are out.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I thought it was clear from the reaction in the first few episode threads that people didn't like the PR references and put them off so much that they were giving the show no chance after that. Also I think people get a KR vibe as well with the lack of green screen Henshin sequence and rollcall and didn't like it for that reason. It's most likely that people think it's an even year series and doesn't deserve their attention at all.

I enjoy Go-Busters especially for the very well-developed universe it has. If you ignore that Enetron doesn't exist, it's almost rather believable. Sure the characters are a bit lacking but they are slowly getting better. Enter is also one of the best villains in any Sentai series ever.
Yunnlong
Adventure
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Sleep is God, now go worship.

Post by Yunnlong »

I think it's because Go-Busters strays far far away from the Sentai formula. Let's look at Gokaiger for a few minutes. That show was an anniversary series and basically glorified Sentai and everything it does. That includes formula, archetypes, and even character interactions. Go-Busters on the other hand is nothing like any series that came before it. The people working on it probably felt that the standard Sentai formula was getting stale, so they decided to try something different. Plus, some of the staff have never worked on a Sentai series. Takayuki Shibaski for example has directed multiple Kamen Rider V-Cinema releases as well as Episode Yellow but no Sentai until Go-Busters.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I like it, kinda.

I mean, I watched the first few episodes and enjoyed them, but I'm feeling kinda burnt out in regards to Sentai at this current time. Not pinning it on Gokaiger either because that didn't really do anything for me either.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I like it. I'm so happy there's a smart villain like Enter. But it does feel like Kamen Rider. Rather than SS. And the main cast is boring. There's something that's missing. I don't know what it is. But they feel wrong. I love the PR references. I've been waiting for them, since "G-Zord". The robots are really pointless. They function as the vehicles steering wheels. But do almost nothing else. And every episode that used them. They where all emotional episodes, for the cast. No real back story to them or fun moments.
TVsKyle
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: If you don't succeed today, try again a different way.

Post by TVsKyle »

Guys, stop blaming Gokaiger's likability for Go-Buster's issues. Two shows followed Gokaiger this year: Go-Busters and Akibaranger. I like one of them and not the other.

Go-Buster's a gorgeous and "different" show, and I like those aspects of it, but the most important part of these shows are the characters, and they're not connecting. They've spent so much time making these guys flawed, that they've made the flaws the entire personality. I wouldn't want to hang out with these guys. I want to hang out with the guys from Fourze, Akiba, or Gokaiger. It's ok to have flawed characters if there's something redeeming about them. The Go-Busters just remind me of having douche friends that you keep giving chances to that you have to eventually cut off because you're just enabling their bad attitudes by sticking around. I can't even root for the villain. Enter's faux-french is egregious and his put-on personality fails to impress me.

That said, I watch Go-Buster every week, not just for the previously-stated things I do like about it, but because it's a fun "yelling stuff at the screen" show. I kinda enjoy being mad at these guys now.
Dragon_Queen
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: KR W, Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: KR OOO, KR Kiva
Dreamy: Ankh <3
Favorite Actor?: ?????
Favorite Band: ------
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ------
Quote: "I do not have a gentle heart"

Post by Dragon_Queen »

It's not that i don't like it and i don't think it's bad, it just didn't fully caught my attention. I've watched ep. 1 and 2, after that i stopped watching it and continued watching KR Fourze. I love Super Sentai but, like i said, Go-Busters wasn't enough to get my attention and interest. I just hope next year's Sentai Series would get my attention.
"Wake the Dragon"
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

TVsKyle wrote:Guys, stop blaming Gokaiger's likability for Go-Buster's issues. Two shows followed Gokaiger this year: Go-Busters and Akibaranger. I like one of them and not the other.

Go-Buster's a gorgeous and "different" show, and I like those aspects of it, but the most important part of these shows are the characters, and they're not connecting. They've spent so much time making these guys flawed, that they've made the flaws the entire personality. I wouldn't want to hang out with these guys. I want to hang out with the guys from Fourze, Akiba, or Gokaiger. It's ok to have flawed characters if there's something redeeming about them. The Go-Busters just remind me of having douche friends that you keep giving chances to that you have to eventually cut off because you're just enabling their bad attitudes by sticking around. I can't even root for the villain. Enter's faux-french is egregious and his put-on personality fails to impress me.

That said, I watch Go-Buster every week, not just for the previously-stated things I do like about it, but because it's a fun "yelling stuff at the screen" show. I kinda enjoy being mad at these guys now.
Yeah, I still say it's because of trying to fill Gokaiger's shoes.

I loved the crap out of the casts of Dekaranger and Shinkenger, and my initial impressions of the casts of their successors (Magiranger and Goseiger) were entirely negative which translated into incredibly snarky comments on my Twitter account. As I got further into the shows, however, I found myself warming up to them and noticing their good traits (Although in Goseiger's case it was when I was almost finished the series), and realizing that though I was reluctant to admit it, those traits were there almost the whole time.

Akibaranger you're able to like, because it's not trying to follow in Gokaiger's foot-steps. It's a silly parody full of otaku culture and perverted slapstick, none of those things having been part of Gokaiger to any significant degree.

Plus, GoBusters only recently broke double digits in it's episode count. I'm betting you'll uniroincally like the cast by series' end.
TVsKyle
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: If you don't succeed today, try again a different way.

Post by TVsKyle »

TheLastTatlFan wrote:I'm betting you'll uniroincally like the cast by series' end.
I'm not ruling that out. Maybe I will!

Still has nothing to do with Gokaiger. ;)
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Will probably like the cast. Once the additional members come. Making the main cast stop being boring.
SuperSentaifan4ever
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Liveman
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by SuperSentaifan4ever »

archer9234 wrote:I like it. I'm so happy there's a smart villain like Enter. But it does feel like Kamen Rider. Rather than SS. And the main cast is boring. There's something that's missing. I don't know what it is. But they feel wrong. I love the PR references. I've been waiting for them, since "G-Zord". The robots are really pointless. They function as the vehicles steering wheels. But do almost nothing else. And every episode that used them. They where all emotional episodes, for the cast. No real back story to them or fun moments.
We got backstory in the first 2 episodes as well as a couple of the recent episodes!

Return to “Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters”